PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Possible believer in GST type tax to balance deficit

ApathyCured
05-20-2011, 08:26 AM
If some of you have talked about this already, my apologies but I think its a good challenge point to Romney.

I took in a week long education seminar in Toronto where a transport economist made comments on the US debt troubles.
He said that "No US politician is wanting to address the issue except perhaps one of Mitt Romneys 2008 economic advisors". I can't remember the guys name that he mentioned.

We all know Ron Paul has been talking about the debt for years and years.
The point is, this economist, who worked with Romney in 2008 (and therefore Romney must agree with ultimately) believes a Goods and Sales Tax is necessary to bring the deficit back to balance.

I live in Canada and have been paying GST since approx 1990. GST forces individuals to collect taxes (isn't that fun). It's intrusive and a burden on the middle class (try adding 5% cost to nearly everything you buy). It also suggests that the average citizen simply isn't doing their share to help the country. It doesn't address the issue of government spending whatsoever.

So apparently in 2008, when Romney's answer to helping out the economy was to just "be positive and keep your head up" (god I loved his answers), he had other ideas, but they would have been suicide for good reason....

Agorism
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
No link?

ApathyCured
05-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Dug this up. He was on Romney's campaign in 2008 and believes a VAT tax (in addition to the mounds already paid) is what is needed. Hie comment on the VAT tax is at the bottom of the page.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704041504575045250168889076.html