PDA

View Full Version : AL-84 year old man reports drunk driver, cop shows up, beats old man, breaking his nose.

Anti Federalist
05-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Sweet bleeding Jesus people, for the love of God, don't call the cops.

84-year-old man allegedly beaten by police officer after calling 911

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/05/18/eighty-four-year-old-man-allegedly-beaten-by-police-officer-after-calling-911/

An Alabama police officer allegedly hospitalized an elderly man who called 911 to report an accident across the street from his house while his wife watched the entire beating from her wheelchair.

The Courthouse News Service reported that 84-year-old Dorsey Henderson of Fairhope, Alabama called 911 after investigating the car accident and discovering that the driver of the vehicle was severely intoxicated.

Henderson told the driver of the car he was under citizens arrest and needed to wait near his car until police arrived.

When Officer Trent Scott arrived on the scene, Henderson attempted to inform him of the driver's belligerent behavior and that the driver had been placed under citizens arrest. The officer allegedly told Henderson there was "no such thing as citizen's arrest in Alabama," and to "get out of the way, old man."

After Henderson tried to explain that he was only trying to help, Officer Scott placed him in an arm bar and slammed him face first into the ground, breaking his nose and eyeglasses. Henderson's wife, Dorris, watched from a wheelchair at the front window of her house, telling a 911 dispatcher that the officer was "beating the hell out of my husband."

At no point did Scott place Henderson under arrest or charge him with any crime, but kept Henderson handcuffed in the backseat of his police cruiser.

Roughly ten minutes later, Scott sent an ambulance that had arrived, away, telling the paramedics that the elderly man "doesn't need an ambulance."

A superior office who later arrived on the scene ordered the ambulance to return and Henderson was taken to the hospital, where he doctors said he suffered a broken nose, multiple contusions and a torn rotator cuff.

As of May 16, 2011, Scott was still employed by the Fairhope Police Department.

amy31416
05-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Good god.

Dr.3D
05-19-2011, 08:45 PM
What a shame. When are people going to wake up and stop calling 911? I've had problems nearly every time I did that and learned it wasn't a good idea.

Pericles
05-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Arrogance, legal immunity, weapons, and incompetence is a bad combination and nothing good can result from that.

Kylie
05-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Ugh. Makes me sick.

And added to my growing list on another thread on another forum.

I sure hope Mr. Henderson is okay.

jclay2
05-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I have no words to describe this type of horror. Spread the word is all we can do.

aGameOfThrones
05-19-2011, 09:03 PM
In other news, the SCOTUS decided in a 9-0 decision stated that "citizens don't have a Right to resist a beating from police" ~ Police v. Citizens

Dr.3D
05-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Arrogance, legal immunity, weapons, and incompetence is a bad combination and nothing good can result from that.

Sounds like absolute power, and we all know what that does.

AFPVet
05-19-2011, 09:06 PM
In Indiana, you may exercise citizens arrest for all felonies and one misdemeanor... that being—the breech of peace.

Apparently, police departments and now sheriff's departments are operating without any regulatory measures. To let scumbags continue to wear the same shield that I wore and took the same oath that I took and remain on the force after using excessive and necessary force is criminal.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the police state.

aGameOfThrones
05-19-2011, 09:12 PM
In Indiana, you may exercise citizens arrest for all felonies and one misdemeanor... that being—the breech of peace.

Apparently, police departments and now sheriff's departments are operating without any regulatory measures. To let scumbags continue to wear the same shield that I wore and took the same oath that I took and remain on the force after using excessive and necessary force is criminal.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the police state.

What police state? Please explain. We got TSA, inland checkpoints, out of control police departments, ignorant sheriffs, patriot act, people being murdered for exercising Rights, acting lawful and minding their own business, what police state are you referring to?

Carehn
05-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Poor old guy thought he was still in a rational country. Next time he will think twice about calling the cops.

Humanae Libertas
05-19-2011, 09:18 PM
What a shame. When are people going to wake up and stop calling 911? I've had problems nearly every time I did that and learned it wasn't a good idea.

But then if you don't call 9-11, and they find out you didn't report a "crime" -- then you'll be the one arrested for not doing so. It's a lose-lose for citizens. They have a charge for everything these days. :(

Pericles
05-19-2011, 09:23 PM
"Show me the man and I'll find you the crime."

Lavrentiy Beria to Joseph Stalin

anaconda
05-19-2011, 09:33 PM
When's the lawsuit?

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Poor old guy thought he was still in a rational country. Next time he will think twice about calling the cops.

Guy must have thought there was such a thing as a local Constable / Justice of the Peace / Officer of the Peace / etc. still left. All we have now is State-goons who carry out their masters edicts with impunity. Fuck them.

heavenlyboy34
05-19-2011, 09:39 PM
:eek: боже мой! :eek: Thanks for the report-will be sharing this on FB.

Dr.3D
05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
But then if you don't call 9-11, and they find out you didn't report a "crime" -- then you'll be the one arrested for not doing so. It's a lose-lose for citizens. They have a charge for everything these days. :(

The only crime here was the cops beating up that old man.

BamaAla
05-19-2011, 10:19 PM
This happened in 2009 and this is the first I've heard of it. WTF Batman?

freshjiva
05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
AF, please post a followup article if one is ever written. I wonder if Scott will be scrutinized by his superiors, especially since they ordered the ambulance to come back even after Scott sent it back.

Anti Federalist
05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
This happened in 2009 and this is the first I've heard of it. WTF Batman?

I looked all over both sites, I didn't see that.

Certainly, if a suit has been filed, it's not likely that it just happened today, but I saw nothing about it being in 2009.

Not doubting it of course, RawStory isn't the best of sources, but they were linking from CNS.

Link plz.

Anti Federalist
05-20-2011, 12:13 AM
AF, please post a followup article if one is ever written. I wonder if Scott will be scrutinized by his superiors, especially since they ordered the ambulance to come back even after Scott sent it back.

Will do.

As the article stated, as of 16 May this year, the cop is still on duty.

Philhelm
05-20-2011, 12:32 AM
In some ways I think that the state has won, and that I've been desensitized. I certainly have ran out of things to say about this rampant bullshit. Out of respect for Mr. Henderson, I will simply say this: Oh for fuck's sake. Sorry, but my rage is almost to the point of being expended, as odd as that may sound.

BamaAla
05-20-2011, 12:41 AM

Certainly, if a suit has been filed, it's not likely that it just happened today, but I saw nothing about it being in 2009.

Not doubting it of course, RawStory isn't the best of sources, but they were linking from CNS.

Link plz.

The Baldwin County paper is saying they just filed suit this month. I don't get Mobile news, but I still can't believe I haven't heard about this until now.

FAIRHOPE, Ala. - Two Fairhope residents filed a lawsuit this month against the city of Fairhope and a local police officer, alleging assault and battery, excessive force and other claims, seeking more than $250,000 for alleged injuries, as well as punitive damages, for an incident they claim happened two years ago.

The lawsuit alleges that on May 5, 2009, Dorsey Henderson of Thompson Hall Road in Fairhope was beaten and illegally detained by Fairhope Police Officer Trent Scott, after Henderson called 911 to report an automobile accident across the street from his and his wife’s residence. His wife, Dorris Henderson, who watched the events from a wheelchair, according to the complaint, is also a plaintiff in the lawsuit filed May 3, 2011, in Baldwin County Circuit Court.

http://baldwincountynow.com/articles/2011/05/19/local_news/doc4dd55ae62e7e2850306558.txt

heavenlyboy34
05-20-2011, 12:43 AM
In some ways I think that the state has won, and that I've been desensitized. I certainly have ran out of things to say about this rampant bullshit. Out of respect for Mr. Henderson, I will simply say this: Oh for fuck's sake. Sorry, but my rage is almost to the point of being expended, as odd as that may sound.
I have an idea for curing your apathy. Try explaining the situation to a specimen of Boobus Americanus. The effort involved in explaining the subject may reignite your passions (that is, strong feelings) about the subject.

Philhelm
05-20-2011, 01:06 AM
I have an idea for curing your apathy. Try explaining the situation to a specimen of Boobus Americanus. The effort involved in explaining the subject may reignite your passions (that is, strong feelings) about the subject.

I did that just tonight, regarding the murdered Marine in Arizona (Off the top of my head, I think it was AZ; at the very least, it was in the southwest). It's not a matter of being apathetic. It's just that my rage has grown so much that it's difficult to feel any more anger. It's a complex feeling that I can't quite explain. I care about these stories, but it has become so commonplace that I have run out of meaningful words, yet I still feel the need to acknowledge them in some way.

Kregisen
05-20-2011, 02:12 AM
In other news, the SCOTUS decided in a 9-0 decision stated that "citizens don't have a Right to resist a beating from police" ~ Police v. Citizens

Link?

aGameOfThrones
05-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Link?

LOL I was joking, but I suspect it won't be long until it becomes real.

squarepusher
05-20-2011, 02:52 AM
wtf

Anti Federalist
05-20-2011, 11:40 AM
The Baldwin County paper is saying they just filed suit this month. I don't get Mobile news, but I still can't believe I haven't heard about this until now.

FAIRHOPE, Ala. - Two Fairhope residents filed a lawsuit this month against the city of Fairhope and a local police officer, alleging assault and battery, excessive force and other claims, seeking more than $250,000 for alleged injuries, as well as punitive damages, for an incident they claim happened two years ago.

The lawsuit alleges that on May 5, 2009, Dorsey Henderson of Thompson Hall Road in Fairhope was beaten and illegally detained by Fairhope Police Officer Trent Scott, after Henderson called 911 to report an automobile accident across the street from his and his wife’s residence. His wife, Dorris Henderson, who watched the events from a wheelchair, according to the complaint, is also a plaintiff in the lawsuit filed May 3, 2011, in Baldwin County Circuit Court.

http://baldwincountynow.com/articles/2011/05/19/local_news/doc4dd55ae62e7e2850306558.txt

Great find, thanks and +rep.

Looks to me like the filing on 3 May 2011 met some two year statutory requirement for "timely filing".

Other than this report, this whole story has been kept under wraps, I don't recall hearing a single thing about.

Poor old man obviously had conflict, having to files charges against the "brave boys in blue" he looked up to all his life.

The Moravian
05-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Link plz.

Here's the link: http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/05/18/elderlybeating.pdf

The link was on the bottom of the Raw Story's article.

Freedom 4 all
05-20-2011, 04:41 PM
WOW that's a new low, even for them. What's it going to take for people to STOP CALLING THE POLICE?! Remember the old saying "snitches get stitches"? That used to be about retribution from the criminal element. Now you have a whole new threat to worry about.