PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with the ad?

mvent2
10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
With the way some of you were going on earlier, I would've thought this "Catching On" ad was some kind of crappy youtube rant. Well I finally saw it for myself and guess what? I like it. The music is nice, the people come off as friendly instead of the robots you normally get from other political ads, and its quite colorful and cheerful.

The views most important to this election were clearly stated and his website URL was readily shown. The guy who said he was undeclared but would change to R was a case of "leading by example" so this would give other NH'ians a good incentive to do so too.

I agree that Ron needs to smile a bit more, but overall I was OK with the ad. Maybe its because I don't participate in the grassroots much, if at all (I'm not American :P ). Some of you really need to cool down.

MozoVote
10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I didn't think the ad was horrible. If he was just spending $50,000 on it, then it really would not be a big deal.

I think people felt stung, that this was "the big rollout" of a million dollars. By that standard it needed to be better and have some "YEAH!" to it. On the other threads, it was pointed out that there are other ads planned so it never was really true that this ad alone would get a million dollars of airplay.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
With the way some of you were going on earlier, I would've thought this "Catching On" ad was some kind of crappy youtube rant. Well I finally saw it for myself and guess what? I like it. The music is nice, the people come off as friendly instead of the robots you normally get from other political ads, and its quite colorful and cheerful.

The views most important to this election were clearly stated and his website URL was readily shown. The guy who said he was undeclared but would change to R was a case of "leading by example" so this would give other NH'ians a good incentive to do so too.

I agree that Ron needs to smile a bit more, but overall I was OK with the ad. Maybe its because I don't participate in the grassroots much, if at all (I'm not American :P ). Some of you really need to cool down.

Agreed.
Maybe.
Kinda.

I'm not as angry as I was. Nor am I angry. Just thought they could of did better.

terlinguatx
10-27-2007, 11:23 PM

davidhperry
10-27-2007, 11:23 PM
If it makes anyone feel better, the overwhelming portion of the money is being spend on the airtime and not the production. Actually, I would be surprised if they spent very much at all on the actual production, especially if they weren't using paid actors as it has been suggested.

Roxi
10-27-2007, 11:24 PM
i just posted this a min ago in another thread on the same subject

its not that terrible, I admit my first reaction was "OH NO " but then i found out that the people in the commercial weren't paid actors they were staff and supporters in NH. so they were probably just nervous being on TV and since before anyone makes a commercial they will write out what they are going to say, these people are just obvious about reading from their script which made them sound like they were acting.

I think it needs to be revised a bit, OH and HQ if your listening add the black lady from the "a new hope" video, she was well spoken, articulate and her passion for Ron paul gave me goosebumps Grab up a few people like that for the commercial and it would be just fine

brandon
10-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Agreed here as well. I think the ad is perfect considering its target audience. I am 100% behind it/ It caught on.

quezkittel
10-27-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm crawling out of lurk-dom to say that I too did not think this ad was *that* terrible. One has to realize that Ron Paul is going to appeal to the less politically aware people out there too- people who don't concern themselves with issues so much, but who want to put the power of the executive branch in someone who they feel they can trust- someone who is honest, thoughtful, genuine and down to earth- like... Ron Paul!

In fact, I would venture to guess that most people get elected based on that sort appeal. Ron Paul's ideas are more radical than most, it's good that this ad paints him as a mainstream, not radical candidate. Later on let them research and find out exactly how mad they are at the system :)

That being said, in my opinion it could stand some revision :) but still... it's not that bad!!!

SWATH
10-27-2007, 11:37 PM
I back Ron Paul 100% and nothing will change that. If he or his campaign want to use that ad I will stand behind them and trust that they know what they are doing.

That does not mean that I have to like the ad or think everything that the campaign touches is solid gold. When I watched it I had not read any of the negative comments at all so I was going in completely fresh. As I watched it I began to feel anxious, kind of like sitting through a movie with your parents during a sex scene or something. After it was over I had a really awkward feeling like when your walking down stairs and when on the last one you take a step like there is one more but you stump the floor with your heel and get that uneasy feeling in your gut. The only words that came to mind were "oh my". That was my unbiased emotional reaction to it.

Now I later learned that I am not the target demographic and thus my reaction would not necessarily be typical, so if the campaign thinks it will work with their target then I trust their judgment all the way.

bah
10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
They weren't actors. They are actual Ron Paul supporters. Maybe they had to read off a script or something though.

American
10-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Great pints being made in this thread. I agree 100% Ron Paul has done this before he has a very competant staff and they know the market in New Hampshire better then any online troll. I Think the ad will work in NH just fine. The direct mailer is awesome and there are a few other videos being made we havent even seen yet.

MozoVote
10-27-2007, 11:44 PM
SWATH, I understand your point. But I think the central problem - is that today's electorate has been exposed to TV their whole lives. They have a *VERY* acute sense for what is live, and what is scripted. Heck, even my 66 year old father has told me how he used to spend hours in front of the TV in the late 1940s.

There were posts from people in the other threads, who asked their parents to watch it... and the reactions were pretty similar to the web enabled thought.

Some of the criticism was pretty harsh, but I do think we have a duty to tell HQ when they are not making good use of airtime and funds. Fortunately it sounds like they are listening, and will be reworking the ad.

Taco John
10-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Oh absolutely nothing is wrong with this ad. I'm sure that when people in New Hampshire see it, they'll immediately run to their front yards, greet their neighbors, and join hands singing their way to the polling booths!

Why would anyone think that there is anything wrong with it?

:)

ty1er
10-27-2007, 11:45 PM
I like the message, but the delivery sucked. Cornier than a PSA. This campaign is fueled by the internet, yet the ad looks like it's from the mid 90's. I think they should challenge the internet to do better, free work. They could do something similar to the "meetup challenge" and offer some sort of incentive to the winning video. I don't know if that'd be within FEC rules, but as long as they come up with ANYTHING better than this before they spend millions on airtime I'll be happy. Most of the things said were spot on, it just comes of as corny though.

quezkittel
10-27-2007, 11:49 PM
maybe this ad is geared to be a low-budget solution to that attitude of "if i haven't seen it on tv yet, it isn't real, despite those people at the grocery store last week waving signs." I doubt very many people vote based on the exact effectiveness of 30 second tv commercials, no matter how great they look.

I could be wrong though.

DJ RP
10-27-2007, 11:59 PM
I think the message is great and the script is fine. I'd have the supporters do their lines a few more times to get them a bit better at the moment they seem a bit fake.

I'd also have ron paul against NH trees or a presidential flag or capitol hill or some shrubby or anything except a blue screen lol

Commericial isn't that bad apart from the bad acting so if it's not finalised then hopefully they'll fix it up a little.

Sematary
10-28-2007, 12:03 AM
I thought it was fine.