PDA

View Full Version : Florida man, angry that school would not release his children to him, gets shot by cops

Anti Federalist
05-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Facts are still coming in on this, it just happened today, but I don't like the smell of it.

Officers shoot man at school in north Fla.

The Associated Press

HIGH SPRINGS, Fla. -- Law enforcement officers shot an armed man who showed up at a school Wednesday, angry that child welfare authorities asked school officials not to release two children to his family, deputies said.

Robert Nodine, 63, was shot at High Springs Community School, about 20 miles north of Gainesville, Alachua County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Todd Kelly said. Nodine was taken to a hospital, but his condition wasn't immediately available.

Alachua sheriff's deputies and High Springs police were involved in a confrontation with Nodine, but it had not been determined which officer fired, Kelly said.

No charges have been filed against Nodine.

(that indicates something strange, if the cops had any justification at all, they would have thrown the book at him - AF)

It wasn't clear if he had an attorney.

The state Department of Children and Families had asked school officials not to release two students Wednesday afternoon, Alachua County public schools spokeswoman Jackie Johnson said, and Nodine showed up at the school, angry and carrying a weapon.

Joe Follick, communications director for DCF, said department employees were heading to the school as part of an open investigation when Nodine arrived at the school and law enforcement was notified.

He declined to release any details about the department's investigation, citing privacy laws. The children are in DCF custody and receiving counseling, Follick said.

Johnson said no students were in danger. The school was briefly placed on lockdown. (There's that word again - AF)

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/18/2222905/officers-shoot-man-at-school.html#ixzz1MkywJIGV

aGameOfThrones
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
that indicates something strange, if the cops had any justification at all, they would have thrown the book at him - AF)

Today, when do cops care for justification to do anything?

MelissaWV
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
The lockdown word is used fairly often, but I don't mind schools doing that. They are supposed to be acting in place of the parents (I know, I know; we can debate whether or not you should trust public schools to do that job another time, but even a private school would bear liability for the safety of your children). If you heard shots fired, you wouldn't want your kiddos running outside to investigate until you knew who was firing the shots. If there was an angry man with a gun waving it around and making threats, you might still want your kiddos indoors.

Locally, this was touted as a custody issue. I don't think charges have been filed because they haven't got their story straight, though :( Once they decide then they'll likely charge in with a long list.

coastie
05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Facts are still coming in on this, it just happened today, but I don't like the smell of it.

Officers shoot man at school in north Fla.

The Associated Press

HIGH SPRINGS, Fla. -- Law enforcement officers shot an armed man who showed up at a school Wednesday, angry that child welfare authorities asked school officials not to release two children to his family, deputies said.

Robert Nodine, 63, was shot at High Springs Community School, about 20 miles north of Gainesville, Alachua County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Todd Kelly said. Nodine was taken to a hospital, but his condition wasn't immediately available.

Alachua sheriff's deputies and High Springs police were involved in a confrontation with Nodine, but it had not been determined which officer fired, Kelly said.

No charges have been filed against Nodine.

(that indicates something strange, if the cops had any justification at all, they would have thrown the book at him - AF)

It wasn't clear if he had an attorney.

The state Department of Children and Families had asked school officials not to release two students Wednesday afternoon, Alachua County public schools spokeswoman Jackie Johnson said, and Nodine showed up at the school, angry and carrying a weapon.

Joe Follick, communications director for DCF, said department employees were heading to the school as part of an open investigation when Nodine arrived at the school and law enforcement was notified.

He declined to release any details about the department's investigation, citing privacy laws. The children are in DCF custody and receiving counseling, Follick said.

Johnson said no students were in danger. The school was briefly placed on lockdown. (There's that word again - AF)

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/18/2222905/officers-shoot-man-at-school.html#ixzz1MkywJIGV

Hmm, that is strange, and assuming he had a CCW-he was not supposed to be CCW at the school to begin with, and I believe carrying a weapon onto a school is a felony regardless...just saying.

BamaAla
05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Hmm, that is strange, and assuming he had a CCW-he was not supposed to be CCW at the school to begin with, and I believe carrying a weapon onto a school is a felony regardless...just saying.

Not sure about Florida, but in Alabama we are explicitly "allowed" to carry at schools.

Anti Federalist
05-18-2011, 07:33 PM
The lockdown word is used fairly often, but I don't mind schools doing that. They are supposed to be acting in place of the parents (I know, I know; we can debate whether or not you should trust public schools to do that job another time, but even a private school would bear liability for the safety of your children). If you heard shots fired, you wouldn't want your kiddos running outside to investigate until you knew who was firing the shots. If there was an angry man with a gun waving it around and making threats, you might still want your kiddos indoors.

Wasn't needed in my day, and crime rates were much higher then.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?293701-Lockdown-High-When-the-Schoolhouse-Becomes-a-Jailhouse

Locally, this was touted as a custody issue. I don't think charges have been filed because they haven't got their story straight, though :( Once they decide then they'll likely charge in with a long list.

Yeah, more than likely.

Like I said, still early on this on, let's see where it goes.

Anti Federalist
05-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Not sure about Florida, but in Alabama we are explicitly "allowed" to carry at schools.

Same as NH.

coastie
05-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Same as NH.

Nah, in FL, schools are one of many paces they are expressly prohibited<pauses for effect.....:rolleyes:....>

ETA: What I was gettin at is I would of thought they would of at least charged him with that....

Anti Federalist
05-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Nah, in FL, schools are one of many paces they are expressly prohibited<pauses for effect.....:rolleyes:....>

ETA: What I was gettin at is I would of thought they would of at least charged him with that....

It might very well work out like Melissa said: they'll throw the book at him in a day or two, if he lives.

We'll see...it may turn out that this guy was, in fact, a bad guy, and the local cops did well by dropping him.

I'm just not liking how it's shaping up.