PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Radio Ad IOWAFORRONPAUL

speciallyblend
05-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Liberty Lovers We Need YOU!! To Design and Give Ideas.
Iowans will be running radio ads to encourage folks to get involved,attend meet ups and register republican and volunteer to help Win Iowa for Ron Paul.

What should radio ads say? You Decide;) but they should include these ideas
-Support Ron Paul at the Iowa Straw Poll
-http://www.iowaforronpaul.com/
-volunteer/get involved/meet ups/even register republican

OK RPF Liberty Members can't wait to see what comes out. We are looking for 30/60 second commercials!! We are looking for 4-6 different radio ads possibly.

example of radio ad we ran back in 2008 campaign in Colorado mtns http://ronpaulsummit.com/media/ronpauldone.mp3

edit note once we design and pick background music. The Radio stations will produce ad for us!

We are looking to run ads in Des Moines at WHO News Studio for starters and full press release in the state of Iowa with some national! Prices and Info for Radio Ads will be posted soon here. WHO Radio ON-AIR PERSONALITIES
5:00am-9:00am Van & Bonnie in the Morning
9:00am-11:30am Jan Mickelson
11:30am-1:00pm The Big Show
1:00pm-4:00pm Rush Limbaugh
4:00pm-7:00pm Simon Conway
7:00pm-9:00pm The Dave Ramsey Show
9:00pm-11:00pm Michael Medved

Read more: http://www.whoradio.com/main.html

PAC,Donation Info and everyone involved will be posted soon:)

Yieu
05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I've lately been especially fond of the reverse psychology route. "Oh, I don't think Ron Paul is a candidate you would like, he would change things too much because he doesn't want to keep the status quo." Of course it would have to be altered to sound good on radio.

Perhaps something more along the lines of:

"Are you *sure* you want change from the establishment? A lot of candidates talk about change, but all we see is the status quo. If you're not afraid of real change -- and some people are -- then Ron Paul is the guy. If you don't want change, then don't look into him."

Perhaps we could have 1 reverse psychology type ad, and 2 other types... whatever seems the most popular.

One Last Battle!
05-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Are you tired of the Federal government getting involved in YOUR business?
Tired of taxpayer money being sent to support brutal dictators overseas, even while the debt increases?
Tired of empty promises from the political class?
Do you want some REAL change for America?
Support congressman RON PAUL for president!
Ron Paul is loyal to his country, just like he is to his wife for the past fifty years of marriage, and to the four thousand babies he has delivered.
But Ron Paul can't do it alone. He needs YOU to help him restore America by voting for him at straw polls and in the caucus. Visit www.iowaforronpaul.com for more details.
Ron Paul: Restore America Now!

---------------------

Edits, etc are welcome :)

speciallyblend
05-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Tired of taxpayer money being sent to support brutal dictators overseas, even while the debt increases?
Ron Paul is loyal to his country, just like he is to his wife for the past fifty years of marriage, and to the four thousand babies he has delivered.
But Ron Paul can't do it alone. He needs YOU to help him restore America by voting for him at straw polls and in the caucus. Visit www.iowaforronpaul.com for more details.

---------------------

for radio might need to shorten your bullet points but i likey:) this is what we want to discuss ideas and and edit if needed;)

speciallyblend
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
I've lately been especially fond of the reverse psychology route. "Oh, I don't think Ron Paul is a candidate you would like, he would change things too much because he doesn't want to keep the status quo." Of course it would have to be altered to sound good on radio.

Perhaps something more along the lines of:

"Are you *sure* you want change from the establishment? A lot of candidates talk about change, but all we see is the status quo. If you're not afraid of real change -- and some people are -- then Ron Paul is the guy. If you don't want change, then don't look into him."

Perhaps we could have 1 reverse psychology type ad, and 2 other types... whatever seems the most popular.

great idea, keep them coming folks.

trey4sports
05-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Good to see someone taking some action. Anyway, i would stresst things that Likely GOPers WANT to hear and things the campaign simply wont do.

I would recommend an ad that talks about Rons dedication to his family, his 50 year marriage to his wife, and his time delivering over 4,000 babies. I think an ad about family values would do very well in Iowa, and really help with him picking up the female support.

ravedown
05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
"I like paying taxes, I’m not interested in changing the tax code or changing how the IRS works.

I also don’t mind that we spend billions of dollars and lose our young soldiers in undeclared wars fought in far off countries that never seem to end.

And the economy? They say its bad on the news, but that’s fine-besides, I can’t fight wall street or mega-corporations….I’m just one person.

I like the status-quo and I’m just like you, actually, I AM YOU. I always voted with hopes of making things a little better, but for some reason… they never really do.

until NOW."

speciallyblend
05-18-2011, 02:00 PM
"I like paying taxes, I’m not interested in changing the tax code or changing how the IRS works.

I also don’t mind that we spend billions of dollars and lose our young soldiers in undeclared wars fought in far off countries that never seem to end.

And the economy? They say its bad on the news, but that’s fine-besides, I can’t fight wall street or mega-corporations….I’m just one person.

I like the status-quo and I’m just like you, actually, I AM YOU. I always voted with hopes of making things a little better, but for some reason… they never really do.

until NOW."

i likey

IndianaPolitico
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Are you tired of establishment politicians squandering YOUR tax dollars? Disregarding the Constitution? Then cast your vote for Congressman Ron Paul. Ron Paul is a Doctor, who has delivered over 4,000 babies and is a true defender of life. He has been married to his wife Carol for over 50 years, and he is committed to family values, and restoring our Constituion. Dr. Paul has been named the Taxpayer's best friend, and will fight to lower your taxes, reduce intrusive government intervention, and to get the economy back on track. Dr. Ron Paul for President, Restore America Now!

I think something along these lines would work nicely, be sure to really stress his family values, anti abortion stance, and the economy.

Eric21ND
05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Good to see someone taking some action. Anyway, i would stresst things that Likely GOPers WANT to hear and things the campaign simply wont do.

I would recommend an ad that talks about Rons dedication to his family, his 50 year marriage to his wife, and his time delivering over 4,000 babies. I think an ad about family values would do very well in Iowa, and really help with him picking up the female support.
This +1776

PaulConventionWV
05-18-2011, 03:10 PM

---------------------

That is Rongasmic!

sailingaway
05-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I think it should direct people to where to register to vote Republican for Ron Paul if there is time.

IDefendThePlatform
05-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I like where this thread is going.

I just emailed the ad department at WHO News Radio in Des Moines about costs for 15 and 30 second ads. Will post when I hear back. I think WHO is a good place to start because its in Des Moines, (biggest city, the capital, near Ames) and they have a good lineup of local personalities and national:

ON-AIR PERSONALITIES----------------------------------30 second ad----------------------60 second ad
5:00am-9:00am Van & Bonnie in the Morning---------$280----------------------------------$350
9:00am-11:30am Jan Mickelson--------------------$250---------------------------------$285
11:30am-1:00pm The Big Show--------------------$350---------------------------------$450
1:00pm-4:00pm Rush Limbaugh-------------------------$220---------------------------------$275
4:00pm-7:00pm Simon Conway-------------------------$200---------------------------------$250
7:00pm-9:00pm The Dave Ramsey Show--------------$75----------------------------------$60
9:00pm-11:00pm Michael Medved

Read more: http://www.whoradio.com/main.html

I would normally say go big and advertise with Limbaugh, but in Iowa Jan Mickelson actually has more listeners statewide. He's a pretty conservative talk radio guy, so right up our alley. And he's bagged on Romney in the past (see article below).

The next on my list would be a money-issue type ad on the Dave Ramsey show. I know he's a douche cuz he got Collins fired, but I was thinking maybe something specifically related to personal finances (ie inflation, lower taxes, less spending)

With Mickelson's audience, I like trey4sports' idea to talk about Ron's character and family values. Also auditing the fed and ending inflation.

http://www.theamericanview.com/index.php?id=922

Radio Host Jan Mickelson Last Word On Politics In Iowa

The following profile of our good friend Jan Mickelson appeared recently in the”Los Angeles Times.” And as folks of our ilk say, this story, considering the views of this paper, could’ve been a lot worse. – JL

JAN MICKELSON, the leading conservative radio personality in Iowa, reacts with a caller during his show.
By Mark Z. Barabak
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

DES MOINES — Jan Mickelson wouldn’t budge. His friendly chat with Mitt Romney had veered into a discussion of abortion and Mormonism, and the Republican presidential hopeful — eyes wide, arms waving — was clearly annoyed.

“Let me once again say I understand my faith better than you do,” Romney snapped.

“Well, I’m not sure,” Mickelson replied, and the two went back at it, Romney angry and sarcastic, Mickelson polite but persistent.

Every weekday morning, from 9 to 11:30, Mickelson presides over the No. 1 talk-radio show in Iowa, giving him more sway over national politics than perhaps all but the biggest names in the broadcast business.

Most Iowans live in cities. However, there is plenty of space in between — long stretches of interstate, endless acres of corn and soybeans — where the radio offers a welcome companion. From his perch here in the studios of WHO-AM1040, Mickelson reaches about 350,000 Iowans a week, twice the audience of his closest competition. That may be a pittance by big-city standards. But for a Republican campaigning in Iowa, which traditionally holds the first vote of the presidential race, the program is a must-stop — and a pathway strewed with hidden perils.

“I wouldn’t suggest that Jan is a kingmaker,” said Steve Grubbs, a pollster and former chairman of the state GOP, who found nearly two-thirds of Iowa Republicans listen to talk radio.”But I would suggest he has the avenue you need to become king.”

There is no mistaking the program’s rightward tilt: Christianity, small government, free markets and sealed borders are good. Islam, teachers unions, the welfare state and the gay-rights movement are bad. But the host, a registered independent and self-described”Christian libertarian,” is just as apt to fault President Bush (“very disappointing”) and criticize former Massachusetts Gov. Romney for changing sides on abortion (“He’s taken a pro-life position, but he’s not a pro-lifer”) as he is to lampoon liberals (“I emote, therefore I am”).

Which makes”Mickelson in the Morning” — his name is pronounced Michaelson — a somewhat unlikely Republican redoubt. Any GOP candidate who shows up in Des Moines expecting a coddling from a fellow conservative is likely to be disappointed.

Mickelson prides himself on shunning the party talking points that many radio hosts treat as holy writ. He is set in certain beliefs — a main one being a strict reading of the Constitution and its limits — and the more Mickelson likes, or wants to like, a candidate, the tougher the grilling is likely to be. His studio dust-up with Romney involved the Mormon Church’s opposition to abortion and Romney’s past support for abortion rights. A video of their Aug. 2 confrontation has been downloaded nearly 200,000 times. (NOTE, PLEASE, FROM JL: The Mormon”church” does not oppose abortion and in fact allows abortion-baby-murder in the case of rape, incest, fetal deformity, life/health of the mother. More information about Mormonism can be obtained by putting this word in our search engine. Also, for more about the Mickelson/Romney clash, listen, please, to my interview of Jan on”The American View” radio program number 116.)”Because I’m ideological, my instinct is to wrap myself around the purest candidates,” Mickelson said in one of several off-air conversations.”And that’s always a frustration, because none of them are.”

Of the current crop, former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani impresses Mickelson with his clear-eyed approach to fighting terrorism. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, with his doggedness and good humor, is another favorite. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas probably comes closest to Mickelson’s antiabortion, limited-government philosophy, but”he’s not going to be a player this election cycle,” Mickelson says. (NOTE, PLEASE, AGAIN, FROM JL: I’ve got to talk to Jan about Giuliani and this whole”war-on-terror” charade; and I will.)

No worries. Mickelson, 58, is used to being a man without a candidate.”I’m disenfranchised most of the time,” he said, which, happily, leaves plenty of room for discussion. For above all, Mickelson loves to argue — almost always politely, which is the Iowa way.

It is a passion that took him from a job sorting pig carcasses to a salary in the low six figures and a position as one of the most important political gatekeepers in Iowa. (ME AGAIN: Hmmmm, from sorting pig carcasses to interviewing politicians. Is this really a step up for Jan? Oh, well, in any event his current job pays a lot better.)

Mickelson’s father was a meat-cutter who moved his wife and three children — Jan, a younger brother and a younger sister — countless times, as jobs required. Harlan, in southwestern Iowa near the Nebraska border, is where the family stayed longest, living in an unheated farmhouse on the edge of town.

After graduating from high school in 1967, Mickelson followed his father into the local pork plant, where he handled 5,000 hogs a day, sorting them by weight and grade. He worked alone, in a freezer, and to kill time he alternately sang and argued with himself, up one side an issue and down the other. The arguing proved good training for talk radio.

Mickelson grew up listening to WHO, an Iowa institution, where a young Ronald Reagan got his start in broadcasting.

MICKELSON’S UNREGISTERED shovel in the corner of his studio awaiting deployment upside the head of too-much-mush guest.
Mickelson was a Paul Harvey fan; together, they shared lunch hours at the plant, Harvey’s conservative commentary pouring from the dashboard of Mickelson’s hand-me-down Dodge. Today, Mickelson honors Harvey by drinking a morning cup of Kava instant coffee, one of his hero’s sponsors.”Terrible stuff,” Mickelson says.”But Paul Harvey could sell me dirt.”

It was a few years later, while living in Minnesota, that Mickelson first thought of a radio career. By then he was married; Mickelson met his wife in speech class at a small Baptist college in Wisconsin. (The couple celebrated their 37th anniversary in June.) One day, while Mickelson was working at a gas station in St. Paul, a customer mentioned he was going to broadcasting school in Minneapolis.”The light bulb went on,” Mickelson said.

He earned his degree and began a succession of radio jobs — broken up by a few years of teaching private school — moving from small markets in Wisconsin to Columbia, S.C., then Cincinnati.

He experienced plenty of on-air embarrassments: the time he locked himself out of the studio and listened helplessly as John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” faded to dead air. The song haunts him to this day.

Or the time, as a novice talk jockey in La Crosse, Wis., he glanced at the calendar and mused about a strange holiday, Chi-CHAWK-kuh, wondering whether it was an Alaskan occasion of some sort.”The phone rang,” Mickelson recalled, and a none-too-friendly voice informed him:”That’s Chanukah, you putz.”

“I didn’t understand either of those words,” he said, deadpan.”I do now.”

In 1988, a death in his wife’s family prompted Mickelson’s return home. He called WHO —“the only call letters I remembered from Iowa” — and, to his surprise, was offered a morning talk show. He has been there ever since. His wife, Susanne, works as a paralegal in Des Moines. Their only child, Scott, is a financial broker in Southern California.

Mickelson is a large man with a smooth voice and the certitude of one used to having the last word, which, on air, he always does. At just over 6 feet tall, with a slight paunch, his square jaw and blocky glasses lend a passing resemblance to George Reeves, the TV actor who played Superman in the 1950s. It is a change for Mickelson, who recently shaved his beard of 20-plus years and shed 35 pounds. As a result, he is not nearly as recognizable, which may be a welcome thing — for all his exposure, Mickelson doesn’t seem like much of a people person.

Broadcasting last month from the state fair, he drew a steady stream of fans who gawked through the studio glass and waited for a word after. One was Chuck Dennis, 65, a retired trucker from Toledo, Iowa.”He tells it the way it is,” Dennis said. But rather than linger, Mickelson chatted a bit then exited as quickly as good manners allowed.

What animates him are ideas, which Mickelson absorbs through books and taped lectures — speeches, sermons, academic presentations — which he collects as a hobby. At home in Ankeny, a bedroom community outside Des Moines, he may be happiest pedaling his bicycle, as much as 150 miles a week in the summer, listening to other people talk on his MP3 player.

The Mickelson program is not all politics all the time. He might discuss dieting, or coaching kids’ soccer, along with the latest Washington scandal. Much of the appeal is the host’s regular-guy persona — though, it should be said, most regular guys don’t quote esoteric scholars or presume to tell a White House candidate he is ill- informed about his own religion.

“Jan’s not closed-up,” said Mark Steinfruck, 65, a listener from Des Moines, who counts on two hands the number of Mickelson shows he has missed in 19 years.”I know he lives in Ankeny. I know he’s married. I know his kid’s grown. I know a cardinal was crashing in his laundry room window a couple years ago. I know he had a strange electrical problem that made all his clocks keep the wrong time.”

Mickelson has his critics. Most Democrats have little use for the show.”It’s not our audience,” said Jeff Link, a party strategist. Gay- and immigration-rights advocates have accused Mickelson of insensitivity on more than one occasion. A few years ago there was talk of a boycott — which fizzled — when he called the gay support group at a local high school a”sodomy club.”

“That’s a prime example of how mean-spirited he can be,” said Rudy Simms, director of the Des Moines Human Rights Commission, who emphasized that he was not speaking for the city.”He’s very skilled at belittling people.”

Mickelson shrugged off the criticism, saying anyone is welcome to come on his show and, marshaling the facts, explain why he is wrong.”If I brush up against someone’s sensitivities, or how they feel, I don’t worry about it,” he said.

Take gay rights, for instance. In his view homosexuality is a sin, but no one else’s business unless government gets involved by, say, recognizing same-sex marriage. Asked how he would react if a gay couple moved in next door, he replied,”I’d take them a casserole… . I’m not on a mission to fix people.”

POSSIBLE FUTURE guests on Jan’s program very doubtful now they will go on after his wonderfully insensitive verbal abuse of Mitt Romney.
There was a hint of a mischief in Mickelson’s voice as he addressed Romney:”Is Roe vs. Wade the law of the land?” “It is now …” the presidential hopeful started to say, but was interrupted. “You just flunked the Cleon Skousen test,” Mickelson said.

Unwittingly, Romney had blundered into a trap.

The late W. Cleon Skousen was a constitutional scholar with a bent for conspiracy theories. He took a strict-constructionist view of the Constitution, insisting judges should stick to its literal language, without interpretation. Roe vs. Wade is cited as a prime example of judicial overreaching. In the 1960s, the Supreme Court ruled there was a constitutional”zone of privacy,” extending that rationale to the decision that legalized abortion.

Skousen rejected that interpretation, and Mickelson shares his view, blaming all manner of social ills on judges who make law from the bench. Mickelson’s solution: Ignore those rulings, or impeach the judges responsible. “I want a president who will tell the Supreme Court, when it leaves its constitutional boundaries, to go take a flying leap,” he told Romney, who smiled indulgently.

So far no major White House candidate has endorsed the notion — too abstract, too hypothetical, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson demurred when Mickelson pressed him — which is hardly surprising.”The one place I can be pure is the safety of my studio,” Mickelson said.”Candidates don’t have that luxury.”

At bottom, talk radio is a ratings-driven medium that is more about entertainment than information. Still, there is little doubting Mickelson’s conviction or the seriousness he brings to issues. He spends hours preparing for each show — not counting the reading he does for pleasure — perusing a dozen or so newspapers, surfing the Web and monitoring a trove of state and national newscasts he records around the clock.

If the price of a guest appearance is indulging certain intellectual eccentricities — the Cleon Skousen test? — it is one that Republican candidates gladly pay, especially given the number of Iowans who make Mickelson a part of their morning routine. Even Romney will probably return, said spokesman Kevin Madden, despite his last unhappy visit.

The host is unrepentant.”I’m not trying to trip people up,” Mickelson said.”I’m trying to get them to reveal what they really are … and if they give me mush, then that is an invitation to ask them a tougher question. “And if they give me more mush,” he said with a smile,”then I have to hit them over the head with a shovel.”

Discuss this article

IDefendThePlatform
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Just updated the ad rates in this^^ post.

I like Jan Mickelson's show right now for best deal. But I'd also be tempted by Dave Ramsey's show just cuz its so cheap and we could specifically target people looking for financial advice (even though he's a douche for getting Collins fired).

I also like the value of 60 seconds over 30. Looks like a relatively small jump in price for a longer time frame.

Verrater
05-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Just to throw in my 2 cents.
You might want to think about when most people are listening to the radio, which is usually the drive to and from work.
That first block of time looks like a big range where as the afternoon 9-5's are driving home around Conway's time slot.

Here is an excerpt form his site:

I was born in London, England and have been American in my attitudes for as long as I can remember. The Constitution should be regarded as a sacred document. Unfortunately as each year passes it seems to be less important. We have a President who told the American People BEFORE he was elected that the Constitution was a “flawed document”. That would have been electoral suicide just a few short years ago. I remember when we were trying to help Iraq write it’s constitution I said on the radio “we should give them ours! After all, we stopped using it years ago”.

KingRobbStark
05-19-2011, 10:27 AM
This is all you need:

"Ron Paul is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense. As a former Air Force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces, and he always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country."

Ronald Reagan

LatinsforPaul
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.dailypaul.com/165110/ive-got-it-dr-pauls-slogan-and-commercial

"Nothing is More Important than Your Character"

I think this would be a fantastic slogan. He could run a commercial with all the previous hacks and some clips of their best known lies:
"Read my lips, no new taxes"
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
"Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction"
"I will close Guantanamo." "I will bring our troops home" "Rasing the debt ceiling shows a lack of leadership"

He could close by saying I'm Ron Paul. I believe in personal liberty, the free market, responsible spending, and bringing our troops home. I have a consistent 30 year voting record and you know where I stand.

Ron Paul 2012
"Nothing is More Important than Your Character"

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2x6P31LYA&feature=player_embedded

I really like this idea for radio too.

PaulConventionWV
05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I think we need to emphasize how he is not a flip-flopper like all of the other candidates, including Romney, Cain, and Pawlenty. The guy who's been on message for however many years, so many I can't count.

MRoCkEd
05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Definitely focus on the family values issues! A nice touch would be how Ron is the only candidate who has served in the military.

carmaphob
05-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Beck, hannity and savage are on 98.3 wow FM here in des moines.
http://www.983wowfm.com/

AJ Antimony
05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
My ideas:

1 (if you're in a negative mood): "Mitt Romney is Obamacare's best friend. As governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney signed into law a big government healthcare mandate that ended up being the same model for Obamacare. If we want to repeal Obamacare, we can't have a President who laid the foundation for big government healthcare. We need a conservative, and a doctor. We need Ron Paul"

2 (in Iowa, it's probably smart to address conservative issues): "Ron Paul believes suspending the federal income tax will stimulate the economy more than Obama's $700 billion earmark and spending spree ever would... Ron Paul believes in completely and fully auditing our out of control Federal Reserve... Ron Paul believes in slashing taxes, spending, and regulations, and actually has a record of voting this way throughout 30 years in and out of Congress..."

3: "Ron Paul believes the issue of abortion should be returned to the states, so that Iowans can make their own abortion policy without being controlled by out-of-state liberals... "