PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian/Conservative Childrens Books

AlexMerced
05-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Well, a year ago or so I started working on such a project, but the problem is I like to explain large complex economic concepts like specie flow mechanism or loanable funds theory which doesn't translate too well into childrens books.

But, if Huckabee is trying to indoctrinate kids, I should see if everyone else wants to write childrens books too.

So that's my challenge to everyone, write Childrens books that teach Libertarian principles.

tangent4ronpaul
05-18-2011, 12:36 PM
"HELP MOM THERE ARE LIBERALS UNDER THE BED!" - She wrote a follow up book too...

BuddyRey
05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
An Island Called Liberty has been endorsed by the FTL crew. I think the same goes for The Adventures of Jonathan Gullible.

nate895
05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
"A libertarian conservative is as rare a breed as a Jewish Nazi."-Russell Kirk

That makes sense if you understand political philosophy. Conservatism proceeds from the idea that people have a bad nature, and therefore government exists to restrain their passions. It is also recognized that the people in government are bad by nature as well, which is at least implicitly rejected by authoritarianism. Libertarianism proceeds on the basis that human beings are good, but are corrupted by human institutions, which is why you will hear libertarian anarchists railing that when you get rid of government, all of a sudden there is a "spontaneous order." However, most people who call themselves libertarians in the actual political discourse, particularly if they belong to the Republican Party, are actually limited government conservatives that have a huge problem with the state, and so identify themselves with the likes of Rothbard because of a shared disgust with the Federal monster.

Kludge
Why not just wait until they're old enough to have the reasoning ability to understand complicated philosophical and economic issues unless you are indeed seeking to indoctrinate them?

Acala
One of my favorites to read to my children was The Tale of Martha B. Rabbit. Not preachy at all. And beautifully illustrated.

nate895
05-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Why not just wait until they're old enough to have the reasoning ability to understand complicated philosophical and economic issues unless you are indeed seeking to indoctrinate them?

If you have come to your own understanding of political philosophy, I see no reason why not to inform your children of the basics of that philosophy. While children probably cannot understand separation of powers and the whole reason behind it, it would still be perfectly reasonable to tell them that people have a corrupted nature, and so they have to make sure they are held accountable to someone else for their actions.

austrobrady
05-18-2011, 02:46 PM
The Children's version of Robinson Crusoe, illustrated by Jamie Wyeth sure teaches self reliance...and cooperation:

http://www.amazon.com/Robinson-Crusoe-Daniel-Defoe/dp/0762414197#reader_0762414197

Dreamofunity
05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I can't wait to indoctrinate my children.

Edit: Seriously.

Philhelm
05-18-2011, 03:19 PM

What a coincidence! The State can't wait to indoctrinate your children too.

Pericles
05-18-2011, 03:25 PM

That ^

NYgs23
05-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Why Mommy Loves the State :eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Loves-State-Bretigne-Shaffer/dp/0557084180

heavenlyboy34
05-18-2011, 03:29 PM
There are some Dr Seuss books that have libertarian messages in them. :) (I don't recall exact titles at the moment)

Dreamofunity
05-18-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm completely serious. My kid will be reading Rothbard by 5.

I'm going to indoctrinate the hell out of them.

Edit: Okay, maybe not Rothbard-at-5-serious. But I have no problem with exposing beliefs at a young age.

ForLibertyFight
05-18-2011, 03:58 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Everyone_Poops.jpg

Dreamofunity
05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?242441-VIDEO-%93The-Butter-Battle-Book%94

Lame. Links are dead. Either way, fairly anti-war cartoon.

cdc482
05-18-2011, 04:07 PM

====

Valli6
05-18-2011, 04:09 PM
There's that old fable about the ant and the grasshopper. Hard working ant prepares for winter, lazy grasshopper just has fun, and when winter comes the grasshopper expects the ant to take care of him. There was an old cartoon version.

Come to think of it, I guess they don't tell that one anymore.

One Last Battle!
05-18-2011, 04:15 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Everyone_Poops.jpg

Apples poop?

Roxi
05-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Tarrin Lupo (A well known RP supporter) just wrote a kids book called "Catch that Collie" http://www.facebook.com/catchthatcollie

sailingaway
05-18-2011, 04:43 PM
There are some Dr Seuss books that have libertarian messages in them. :) (I don't recall exact titles at the moment)

Yertle the Turtle (the last four stanzas below):

But, while he was shouting, he saw with suprise
That the moon of the evening was starting to rise
Up over his head in the darkening skies.
"What's THAT?" snorted Yertle. "Say, what IS that thing
That dares to be higher than Yertle the King?
I shall not allow it! I'll go higher still!
I'll build my throne higher! I can and I will!
I'll call some more turtles. I'll stack 'em to heaven!
I need 'bout five thousand, six hundred and seven!"

But, as Yertle, the Turtle King, lifted his hand
And started to order and give the command,
That plain little turtle below in the stack,
That plain little turtle whose name was just Mack,
Decided he'd taken enough. And he had.
And that plain little lad got a bit mad.
And that plain little Mack did a plain little thing.
He burped!
And his burp shook the throne of the king!

And Yertle the Turtle, the king of the trees,
The king of the air and the birds and the bees,
The king of a house and a cow and a mule...
Well, that was the end of the Turtle King's rule!
For Yertle, the King of all Sala-ma-Sond,
Fell off his high throne and fell Plunk! in the pond!

And today the great Yertle, that Marvelous he,
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
And the turtles, of course... all the turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.
http://www.spunk.org/texts/prose/sp000212.txt

And the book 'What ever happened to penny candy' and other books by that author are good basic economics books.

Maximus
05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
"How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes" can be a good template

South Park Fan
05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't think indoctrination is ever a good idea, even if it be to accomplish good ends. 'Tis better to teach your children how to think than what to think.

Grubb556
05-18-2011, 05:14 PM
If you ever played Final Fantasy 7, the game world is ruled a de facto corporation. The corporation attempted, to create a super-soldier, but the experiment failed, and the soldier went on a rampage, killing the corporation's president, and almost detroying the world.

An example of blowback.

sailingaway
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't think indoctrination is ever a good idea, even if it be to accomplish good ends. 'Tis better to teach your children how to think than what to think.

Yes, but you can use these books to teach them how to examine things. Because if they have no examples of this they will have only the others.

nolvorite
05-18-2011, 05:56 PM

That makes sense if you understand political philosophy. Conservatism proceeds from the idea that people have a bad nature, and therefore government exists to restrain their passions. It is also recognized that the people in government are bad by nature as well, which is at least implicitly rejected by authoritarianism. Libertarianism proceeds on the basis that human beings are good, but are corrupted by human institutions, which is why you will hear libertarian anarchists railing that when you get rid of government, all of a sudden there is a "spontaneous order." However, most people who call themselves libertarians in the actual political discourse, particularly if they belong to the Republican Party, are actually limited government conservatives that have a huge problem with the state, and so identify themselves with the likes of Rothbard because of a shared disgust with the Federal monster.most libertarians tend to lean to the right, because on social issues some lefties aren't left enough and they like heavy regulation and high taxes.

Carehn
05-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I have a book called THE MONEY TREE. Its a children book and the 1st book on economics i ever read. Cant find it online though. Other books called that but not the one i have. May have to find it and post the author as well. Its about a kid that has a money tree. He clones a bunch of saplings to give out and help people but the money soon becomes worthless and all of society collapses. Then he wakes up and tells his sis money must be worked for when she says something about free cash.

AlexMerced
05-18-2011, 06:40 PM
If you ever played Final Fantasy 7, the game world is ruled a de facto corporation. The corporation attempted, to create a super-soldier, but the experiment failed, and the soldier went on a rampage, killing the corporation's president, and almost detroying the world.

An example of blowback.

That game was soooo good, damn Shinra, damn them

nate895
05-18-2011, 06:49 PM
most libertarians tend to lean to the right, because on social issues some lefties aren't left enough and they like heavy regulation and high taxes.

I have no idea what that has to do with anything I said, but whatever.

cindy25
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
The Little Red Hen

Three Little Pigs

shenlu54
05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
what about: Little House on the Prairie

a fantastic libertarian children book

Sola_Fide
05-18-2011, 07:30 PM

That makes sense if you understand political philosophy. Conservatism proceeds from the idea that people have a bad nature, and therefore government exists to restrain their passions. It is also recognized that the people in government are bad by nature as well, which is at least implicitly rejected by authoritarianism. Libertarianism proceeds on the basis that human beings are good, but are corrupted by human institutions, which is why you will hear libertarian anarchists railing that when you get rid of government, all of a sudden there is a "spontaneous order." However, most people who call themselves libertarians in the actual political discourse, particularly if they belong to the Republican Party, are actually limited government conservatives that have a huge problem with the state, and so identify themselves with the likes of Rothbard because of a shared disgust with the Federal monster.

Well said.