PDA

View Full Version : new social networking tool through Freedom Works

FriedChicken
05-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Everyone,

through an ad on facebook I found myself on freedom works's website creating a profile for "freedom connector".
Great site. Wonderful tool.

I've already started a group for my area called Ron Paul 2012 that, with no promotion at all, attracted 2 members in 14 hours.
You're able to find profiles based on location, I've already made first contact with nearly 100 people in my city.

I'm very impressed with this site and seems to be a great way to find other RP supporters in your area and influence other people.

Not telling anyone what to do here but I strongly STRONGLY suggest that if you join this site and start reaching out to people about Ron Paul you NEVER EVER start a fight. Be as nice and respectful as possible.

Personally I'm trying to establish contact with everyone in my city using this site regardless of which candidate they support and assure all of them that even though I want them to support RP I will respect their decisions regarding what they feel is best for their country.
I also explain I'm eager to exchange information and discuss anything but am not willing to participate in any heated or defensive discussions.

Also, lets not overwhelm the place and make people mad. Stay out of groups that you know will be frictional (I'm not a member of Allen West 2012, but I still communicate respectfully with people who are in that group).

If there is not a group for Ron Paul in your area please start one.
Freedom Works has a lot of influence and, last I heard, was considering endorsing RP. I think we need to make that an easy decision for them by showing most of their supporters are RP supporters.

tangent4ronpaul
05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
No thanks!

FriedChicken
05-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Really? I was pretty excited when I found that many likely republican primary voters wanting to involved in activism. Based on the attention my Rp2012 group was getting I also figured there was surely quite a few RP supporters already there looking to get plugged in.

I'm willing to do this because I'm desperate to round up more RP supporters in my area for some projects that need to be gotten off the ground.

It also seems like this is a great opportunity to make a positive impression on people for RP. They don't need to convert right away, if we start making RP less enthusiastic people's "second choice" then, for one, it would keep them from talking bad about RP but also if their first choice drops out that automatically puts them on our side.

But its cool, I'm happy with the site because I can reach a lot of people in my area. I know you personally are doing a lot for RP2012 so in no way am I suggesting that you need to refocus your efforts- you have my respect.

realtonygoodwin
05-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Good idea.

sailingaway
05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Why would we want to go through freedomworks instead of meetup? I can see why they would want OUR emails and contact info, but not where we benefit.

Roxi
05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
The Koch brothers? No thanks!

FriedChicken
05-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Why would we want to go through freedomworks instead of meetup? I can see why they would want OUR emails and contact info, but not where we benefit.

Well, if we all create groups explicitly endorsing RP than it would send a powerful message to them that they SHOULD officially endorse RP.
But mostly this has little to do with Freedom Works. I don't care if they have my contact info- if they send me something I don't want I'll delete it. I think it provides a greater opportunity for us to reach others in our local area.

I have yet to see if this tool is really useful for my specific area, but surely if we all dedicated an hour of our time to send friendly messages to our locals some good would have to come from it.

I'm not suggesting we replace meetup. I'm talking about using this as an outreach tool- not an organizing tool.

Napoleon's Shadow
05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Interesting, it's not the first time I've heard this.

Some local organizers I know have gotten some teaocon types out to some local CFL sort of functions through this method.

FriedChicken
05-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Update:

I've established contact with two different people- one claims he's open to RP, the other say he likes him ... neither have chosen the republican primary candidate that will get their vote.
If nothing else, at least keeping in friendly contact with these guys will keep them from bad mouthing RP and maybe even spread some good news about him. It is likely that they will convert and give their vote to him.

FriedChicken
05-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Update:

Heard from two more people today that are avid Ron Paul supporters looking for somewhere to plug in for activism.
Also heard from another person who is undecided but has a lot of respect for RP but just "doesn't know if that is who he wants as his president".

Verrater
05-20-2011, 12:00 PM
hrmm seems like a good tool.
I'll sign up.