PDA

View Full Version : $2M lottery winner still legally collecting food stamps

tsai3904
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.lotterypost.com/news/231681

A Michigan man who won $2 million in a state lottery game continues to collect food stamps 11 months after striking it rich.

And there's nothing the state can do about it, at least for now.

Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday.

Eligibility for food stamps is based on gross income and follows federal guidelines; lottery winnings are considered liquid assets and don't count as income. As long as Fick's gross income stays below the eligibility requirement for food stamps, he can receive them, even if he has a million dollars in the bank.

Food stamps are paid for through tax dollars and are meant to help support low-income families.

"If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it," Fick told WNEM-TV in Saginaw on Monday.

"I am not going to sit and debate the ethics of this," Wilson said. "But from his standpoint, he did what he was supposed to do — he informed the state, and the state said he could keep using the card. The problem is with the state."

More at link above, including news report.

SamuraisWisdom
05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Not surprised. The food stamp system is flawed. Since it's based on income anyone with any sense will just hide whatever they make in order to still get them. I live in a pretty low income area and see it all the time. Lots of people around here have jobs that pay in cash, or they steal, or they sell drugs. Many of them have tons of money (drive around in a lexus, have a new ipod, etc) but they still collect welfare.

VBRonPaulFan
05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
hahahahah unbelievable

Johnnymac
05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
thats just pathetic, i wouldve game them up how dare that selfish bastard

GunnyFreedom
05-18-2011, 10:53 AM
For half of my adult life (or more!) I have qualified for EBT --- but I have never, never applied for such a thing. I'd sooner go hungry and starve.

Krugerrand
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
thats just pathetic, i wouldve game them up how dare that selfish bastard

While i see your point - this person is doing a great job of showing people how flawed the system is.

Philhelm
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
For half of my adult life (or more!) I have qualified for EBT --- but I have never, never applied for such a thing. I'd sooner go hungry and starve.

But you wouldn't starve, since there hasn't been any starvation in America since Jamestown (and that failed expedition in which one guy had to eat everyone...). Charities would prevent that.

Jerkface
05-18-2011, 01:11 PM
From what I understand, he was pissed off at the government because they took over half his winnings, and therefore doesn't feel guilty about what he's doing. I'd be pissed too, if I won $2Million only to go home with $800k. Sure, it's still free money, but it's no even close to what you won.

aGameOfThrones
05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
From what I understand, he was pissed off at the government because they took over half his winnings, and therefore doesn't feel guilty about what he's doing. I'd be pissed too, if I won $2Million only to go home with $800k. Sure, it's still free money, but it's no even close to what you won.

Yeah. He hates the government for taking his money, but loves the government for taking some else's money to give to him. The circle of life...

Kludge
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah. He hates the government for taking his money, but loves the government for taking some else's money to give to him. The circle of life...
He paid $1.2m. He could be on Welfare all his life and still not come anywhere close to taking what he put in.

aGameOfThrones
05-18-2011, 02:06 PM
He paid $1.2m. He could be on Welfare all his life and still not come anywhere close to taking what he put in.

He didn't put in anything. I do understand his point, but lottery prizes come with conditions; they're privileges from the state.

DXDoug
05-18-2011, 02:12 PM
im hungry....