PDA

View Full Version : LATimes: And Ron Paul? Well, Ron Paul is Ron Paul. He's not selling a realistic candidacy

JP2010
05-18-2011, 07:52 AM
This started out as a 'lesson' to Newt on how to not start a campaign, but then breaks down into other candidates.

The quote about Ron Paul stings. Just like what was said on this forum before, Ron Paul needs to run to win, not to educate this time around.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/05/gop-presidential-race-newt-gingrich.html

RonPaulFanInGA
05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
They're not wrong. Since announcing his exploratory committee in late April, the only issues Ron Paul has made headlines with is his support for legalizing heroin, opposing killing Osama and saying he doesn't support the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

These are the issues a political pariah talks about, not a candidate seriously trying to win.

wizardwatson
05-18-2011, 08:19 AM
And Ron Paul? Well, Ron Paul is Ron Paul. He's not selling a realistic candidacy; he admits that. He's peddling a libertarian/"tea party" philosophy, which will be an important driver of the Republican primary debates in unpredictable ways.

I don't think RP would ever say he's not running a 'realistic' campaign.

And what's unrealistic about it? What they really mean I think is that RP is not towing the status quo enough to be acceptable to the masses, in their opinion. But it's the status quo that's unrealistic, not RP's ideas to help restore this country. The status quo has us going over the cliff, RP's ideas are realistic, they deal with the situation as is rather than the unrealistic status quo position of ignoring real problems.

wizardwatson
05-18-2011, 08:20 AM
I mean how's the saying go?

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Freedomluvinmamma30
05-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Well the real problem is that people are uneducated to liberty and freedom. The education system has been indoctrinating citizens to believing Big Government keeps you safe and equals the playing field. All of which we know is a false premise. The message of liberty means that people have to be responsible and accountable for themselves, this scares a lot of people. I find that when I am talking to people about Ron Paul they do not even know the correct definitions for liberal, social liberal, libertarian, conservative, Neo conservative, Libertarian, Republican and Democrat. Usually using them in the wrong context. Not to mention the misinformation on the issues. This is why it feels like an education campaign then a real bid. Sheeple.....

Cowlesy
05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
It's like certain members of the media are actually trying to help get him on a winning message by saying, "What people are hearing from you right now are not things that are going to help you win in the long-run." Sure, a lot of the stuff he says pleases the radical libertarians, but it's not on message for someone trying to win the Presidency. Good notes from Andrew Malcolm.

ItsTime
05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
The real problem is the media, not Ron Paul. Ron Paul is not bringing up the issues that are making the headlines, the media is.

crhoades
05-18-2011, 08:37 AM
The real problem is the media, not Ron Paul. Ron Paul is not bringing up the issues that are making the headlines, the media is.

He needs to actively bring up more issues. Press releases. YouTube videos. Tweets. Facebook. Seems very reactive right now allowing the media to define his candidacy.

ItsTime
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
He needs to actively bring up more issues. Press releases. YouTube videos. Tweets. Facebook. Seems very reactive right now allowing the media to define his candidacy.

We have to face the facts, the media DOES define each campaign. There is NOTHING stopping the media from asking the same non-issue questions over and over again. Sure he can do what you suggested, but when he sits down for an interview the same non-issue questions that try to paint him as a nut job will be asked.

Verrater
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I think he needs to stir up positive controversy.
Maybe releasing a new plan on a particular topic, like the debt or Health care.

ItsTime
05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
^Good idea, but it is too early for that. He should wait until Romney announces and the race really gets underway.

Chieppa1
05-18-2011, 09:28 AM
They're not wrong. Since announcing his exploratory committee in late April, the only issues Ron Paul has made headlines with is his support for legalizing heroin, opposing killing Osama and saying he doesn't support the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

These are the issues a political pariah talks about, not a candidate seriously trying to win.

Who controls the headlines? Not his fault at all. How does he "Fix" bias coverage?

Slutter McGee
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM

I completely agree. But I am ok with it to a point. I accept that Ron Paul is going to be Ron Paul. I just hope his campaign team does a better job this time around. I figured the chances of him winning are still small. I just thought another run would build up a fundraising base even more.

The 2008 run for President set up the fundraising base for Rand to get into the senate. Perhaps this second run will set up a fundraising base for Rand, or someone else, to get to be the President.

Take the exchange between ole Rudy and Ron in the debate in 2007. It was not good for Ron politically, but was good from a fundraising perspective.

Sure, I wish Ron would frame his message in other ways, and present his arguments better, adjust them for the target audience. We might have a shot now if that was the case. But I will take what I can get.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

RM918
05-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm sure the LATimes thinks Ron will only start selling a realistic candidacy if he forgets all of that 'crazy' stuff about cutting the government and foreign aid, talks about banning the gays to Liberia or wherever the hell they came from and bombing more brown people.

AJ187
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Well the real problem is that people are uneducated to liberty and freedom. The education system has been indoctrinating citizens to believing Big Government keeps you safe and equals the playing field. All of which we know is a false premise. The message of liberty means that people have to be responsible and accountable for themselves, this scares a lot of people. I find that when I am talking to people about Ron Paul they do not even know the correct definitions for liberal, social liberal, libertarian, conservative, Neo conservative, Libertarian, Republican and Democrat. Usually using them in the wrong context. Not to mention the misinformation on the issues. This is why it feels like an education campaign then a real bid. Sheeple.....

That's some real truth right there. We need to stay positive and educate people the way Ron did for a lot of us.

Cowlesy
05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm sure the LATimes thinks Ron will only start selling a realistic candidacy if he forgets all of that 'crazy' stuff about cutting the government and foreign aid, talks about banning the gays to Liberia or wherever the hell they came from and bombing more brown people.

Andrew Malcolm is a fox in the henhouse that is the LA Times. He certainly holds his own views as compared to the general overview of the paper.