PDA

View Full Version : Obama wants to send unsolicited, can't opt-out text messages to your cellular phone

qh4dotcom
05-18-2011, 06:28 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/05/president-obama-could-send-text-message-warnings-in-new-plan-system.html

President Obama, who has been called the texter-in-chief, will soon have the ability to send any cellphone in the U.S. a text-message warning of impending danger, from a tornado to a terrorist, under a new emergency alert system called PLAN.

Consumers do not need to sign up for the service; their carrier will automatically sign them up, and they won't be charged for receiving any PLAN text alerts, the agencies said.

Consumers will have the option, through their wireless carrier, to block all PLAN alerts except for those issued by the president.

fisharmor
05-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Personal telescreens.

Nate
05-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Time to start developing an app that will block this ever more idiotic government from bothering me in yet another absurd & pointless way.

Occam's Banana
05-18-2011, 07:34 AM
So...Barack Obama is now our spammer-in-chief...

Carehn
05-18-2011, 07:43 AM
In a fucked up way this is good!!! As of now only the radio and TV station understand this kind of force. Now the average voter will start to see a little bit clearer, I hope. Or maybe the sheeple will just bend over and take it as always.

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Shit is starting to remind me of the cheesy movie They Live.

http://www.mstrmnd.com/files/843_they-live.jpg

UtahApocalypse
05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Apps are already available to get Text services. The phone companies also have the ability to send mass text at anytime to all phones..... they have done so many times in the past for marketing, service updates, and other items. The fact is there is no need for a special chip to do what they are saying..... so what is this chip doing actually that they are not saying??

belian78
05-18-2011, 08:09 AM
They live is an excellent movie actually, even though it is a bit cheesy. I tell you what, John Carpenter George Romeo, and Wes Craven... Those guys saw the general populace for what they really are. It's a shame that even those giants have sold out now.

speciallyblend
05-18-2011, 08:24 AM
any liberty-minded supporters hiring or moving to south America? I have plenty of experience in landscaping,gardens,property maintenance etc etc plus DJ services and entertainment! I wanna Opt Out Alright;) former jobs, retail management, restaurant management,hotel management and i can even cook;) hell if things do not change for the better . I swear i will freaking be a housekeeper and clean toilets! I have great references! and i can toss in free skiing and snowboarding lessons as well. I am a jack of all trades and master of some:) just sayin call me;)

ItsTime
05-18-2011, 08:29 AM
^high speed internet and I may join you. We could live like kings.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Finally someone will be texting me!!!!!!!!!!!!

. . . so lonely