PDA

View Full Version : Kids Can Max Out $2300 too

nayjevin
10-27-2007, 08:51 PM
http://rightvoices.com/2007/10/24/is-it-skirting-campaign-finance-law-when-a-two-year-old-donates-to-a-campaign/

looks to me like all of our kids who are into the ron paul campaign can max out with their money to...

Congress tried to outlaw political contributions from those under age 18 as part of the McCain-Feingold Act in 2002, but the Supreme Court struck down that provision as an infringement on the constitutional rights of minors. With that ruling in mind, the Federal Election Commission wrote new regulations two years ago that tried to balance what it considered a legitimate desire among some children to make political contributions against the possibility that parents would seek to pad their donations by funneling money through children.

The regulations established a three-step test to determine whether a contribution is acceptable: It must be made with the child’s money, the parent cannot reimburse the child for making the donation and the contribution has to be knowing and voluntary.

That last part of the test is the one that would seem to rule out a 2-year-old, said Michael E. Toner, a former FEC chairman who helped draft the rules. “If they are 16 or 17, they’re clearly old enough to know what they’re doing, as compared to someone who is, say, 10 years old. . . . I don’t know any 2-year-old who is capable of making that kind of decision.”

goldstandard
10-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Hahaha. I'm one 1/2 and I know what I'm doing. Vote Ron Paul!

manuel
10-27-2007, 08:59 PM
My daughter is 6 and she loves Ron Paul!

DJ RP
10-27-2007, 09:05 PM
My daughter is 6 and she loves Ron Paul!

Hahahah, can she recite the constitution yet? :D

RonPaul_Has_2_first_names
10-27-2007, 09:54 PM
So if you have kids, can't you donate more than $2,300 if you are maxed out, just put it in your kids's name? How will the FEC know the money isn't really the kids money?

For people that have kids, I could see this as a way to get past the $2,300 limit.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 10:10 PM
So if you have kids, can't you donate more than $2,300 if you are maxed out, just put it in your kids's name? How will the FEC know the money isn't really the kids money?

For people that have kids, I could see this as a way to get past the $2,300 limit.

Lawn care chores just got a lot more lucrative, lol.

Roxi
10-28-2007, 12:04 AM

ARE YOU friggin serious? this post is in direct violation of forum rules, PLEASE delete it immediately.. YOU can NOT do this.. it is illegal, would hurt the campaign even for suggesting it... your kids CAN donate but it HAS to be their money and you CAN NOT reimburse them in any way....

I mean your kids really do deserve to get an allowance raise due to inflation, i mean have you seen the price of CD's lately? and VIDEO GAMES??? geez find a good one under 50 bucks, so they should definitely be making more money for chores and good grades these days. :)

McDermit
10-28-2007, 12:18 AM
my ex's step sisters love RP. They're 9 and 11, and the 9 year old goes around tellingnpeople to support ron Paul, because there's hope for America. My face was when one of their friends was telling her mom about RP, the message got a littttttttle distorted. "if ron paul is president, you'll have tons more money because he wants loud money and to laser out the ferret tax!" i wish I would have heard that one first hand, I probably woulkd have died laughing. Sound Money and federal income tax.. Loud money and ferret tax! Close enough.

The 2 of them beg to go with her canvassing and to concerts and fairs where she's handing stuff out. And they're huge fans of banner making. The day they got their new kiddie sized RP shirts, they put them on right away and more them the entire weekend.

RP kids rule!

EvilEngineer
10-28-2007, 12:23 AM
my ex's step sisters love RP. They're 9 and 11, and the 9 year old goes around tellingnpeople to support ron Paul, because there's hope for America. It's cute as shit.

The 2 of them beg to go with her canvassing and to concerts and fairs where she's handing stuff out. And they're huge fans of banner making. The day they got their new kiddie sized RP shirts, they put them on right away and more them the entire weekend.

RP kids rule!

cute as shit? not the phrase I'd use.

angelatc
10-28-2007, 07:24 AM
My kids are also Ron Paul supporters - ages 9 & almost 13. The older one got into heavy political discussions with his neocon dentist the other day, and managed to hold his ground. At one point the dentist asked him "OK, now wha't habeus corpus?" and "Don't the Constitutional rights only apply to citizens?" It must suck when a 12 year old can rationally refute your political beliefs.

aspiringconstitutionalist
10-28-2007, 07:32 AM
To respond to OP, yes, that is incredibly illegal. Haven't you read all the other stories in the news in the past couple weeks about supporters of other candidates getting busted for doing that? If they catch you doing that, you'll have to prove that the kids got that money through legitimate means that wasn't in any way an underhanded pass from a parent or other adult to get around the $2300 rule, and that the child is old enough to comprehend what they're doing with that money.

traviskicks
10-28-2007, 11:57 AM
ARE YOU friggin serious? this post is in direct violation of forum rules, PLEASE delete it immediately.. YOU can NOT do this.. it is illegal, would hurt the campaign even for suggesting it... your kids CAN donate but it HAS to be their money and you CAN NOT reimburse them in any way....

I mean your kids really do deserve to get an allowance raise due to inflation, i mean have you seen the price of CD's lately? and VIDEO GAMES??? geez find a good one under 50 bucks, so they should definitely be making more money for chores and good grades these days. :)

Screw the FCC and their unconstituional unamerican bureaucratic shenigans.

ItsTime
10-28-2007, 12:00 PM
obama was getting donations from TWO YEAR OLDS.... I am sure that was "their money"

ChooseLiberty
10-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Can't wait to see the idiot fed prosecutors try to put a five year old on the stand.

http://rightvoices.com/2007/10/24/is-it-skirting-campaign-finance-law-when-a-two-year-old-donates-to-a-campaign/

looks to me like all of our kids who are into the ron paul campaign can max out with their money to...

ChooseLiberty
10-28-2007, 12:39 PM
It's amazing that kids are even interested in this stuff. Maybe they will eventually turn the ship around. The current generation has dropped the ball.

My kids are also Ron Paul supporters - ages 9 & almost 13. The older one got into heavy political discussions with his neocon dentist the other day, and managed to hold his ground. At one point the dentist asked him "OK, now wha't habeus corpus?" and "Don't the Constitutional rights only apply to citizens?" It must suck when a 12 year old can rationally refute your political beliefs.

nayjevin
10-31-2007, 03:25 PM
the whole idea is that they must be giving their own money, without any sort of coercion. there are many of our teenagers who would do exactly that, if they have enough money.

Abobo
10-31-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't have any kids, but if I did they would get a $2,300 allowance. :D
( mowing the lawn is hard work )

Hank
10-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Hopefully, once elected Ron Paul will abolish almost all campaign finance laws. Everyone has the right to donate as much money as they want to any candidate. The fact that is illegal demonstrates that our government is nothing more than a tyranny.

kutibah
10-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Whether you believe it or not this goes on all the time. Just look up Obama's donaters and you'll see alot of "kids" who are maxed out haha. Yeah...like a 4 year old has $2300...

nayjevin
10-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Whether you believe it or not this goes on all the time.

didn't know there was any question about believing it. there are sources provided.

this is just one of those loopholes that the frontrunners know about and use shamelessly.

aspiringconstitutionalist
10-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Seriously you guys. Not only is it a bad idea to post about doing illegal stuff on a public forum for all the world to see, but even if you did it, it wouldn't help Ron Paul. They'll catch it eventually, Ron Paul will have to return the donations, and all it will do is make bad press for him. There's plenty of adults that can be converted into Ron Paul supporters/donators. The last thing we need is for stories about how Ron Paul rakes in all kinds of dough and then reporters find tons of Paul supporters on public forums telling eachother how to get around campaign finance laws to donate more money to Paul illegaly. You know the MSM will try to link the two.

nayjevin
02-14-2008, 05:46 AM
cute as shit? not the phrase I'd use.

like 'cold as hell'