PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry Presidential Push Quietly Gains Steam

JacobG18
05-17-2011, 02:30 PM
As many grass-roots Republicans remain in search of a conservative candidate with the pizazz to go toe-to-toe against President Obama, a man from deep in the heart of Texas who was tea party before the tea party was cool appears to be giving the presidential race some thought.

Gov. Rick Perry has insisted on multiple occasions that he has no interest in the presidency, but RCP has learned that political associates have begun to nose around quietly on Perry's behalf.

A Texas pol who is close to Perry has been telling a few key strategists that the nation's longest-serving governor sees a vacuum and is waiting to be summoned into the race. This source believes that could happen by late summer. Without fellow Southerners Haley Barbour or Mike Huckabee in the race -- and with Newt Gingrich's early troubles raising further doubts about the current lineup -- there could be a glaring niche for Perry to fill.

According to another well-connected Republican, at least one Perry confidant has been very quietly making inquiries about the political terrain in the nation's first voting state of Iowa. A third Perry associate, RCP has learned, has been heralding a small contingent of Iowans with the time-tested line that is often used by would-be candidates who are leaving their options open: "Keep your powder dry."

Perry's aides have long made it clear that the tough-talking Texan, who succeeded George W. Bush in Austin in 2000, would not seriously entertain the idea of mounting a White House run before the state's legislative session finishes at the end of this month. That date is now less than two weeks away, and the 2012 presidential field remains fluid.

The Perry chatter has been so discreet that nearly a dozen early-state GOP operatives and consultants contacted by RCP hadn't heard a word about it. But they are unfazed that the buzz exists.

Mark McKinnon, a Republican strategist and Bush administration veteran, said, "I'm not aware of Perry making calls, although it wouldn't surprise me."

Perry would hardly be the first prominent Republican to raise presidential expectations, however unobtrusively, only to later back away -- and his associates remain adamant, in public at least, that nothing has changed.

"The Governor has not called anyone about running for POTUS. I'd like to know of one person who says they received such a call," Dave Carney, a Perry political strategist who now works for Gingrich's presidential effort, said in an email. "He is calling raising funds for the Republican Governors Association, of which he currently serves as chair."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/05/17/rick_perry_presidential_push_quietly_gains_steam_1 09894.html

Oh come on... really this guy?:rolleyes:

Sola_Fide
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Nah.

belian78
05-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Wasn't Perry an attendant at the Bilderburger meetings a few years ago? Would make sense.

Fredom101
05-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Things like this are why I'm warning everyone about getting excited that Huck dropped out. It's meaningless. They will pull out someone before it's all said and done. They could float Perry and see if he catches on. If not maybe Jeb Bush. If not there's always Romney or Cain. The list of neocons who want power and will do anything to get it goes on and on, so the PTB just have to use the MSM as they do and the race will be decided.

CoreyBowen999
05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Rick Perry is barely liked in his own state. lol

sailingaway
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Rick Perry is barely liked in his own state. lol

I would love for Ron to beat Perry in Texas...

puppetmaster
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Bachman will run. Heard her today and all signs a go. Perry, not so much a go

A Son of Liberty
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Campaign kick off to feature slobbering wet kiss from Glenn Beck.

IPSecure
05-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Current Texas Governor, Republican Rick Perry, who at the time was a Democrat, was Al Gore's campaign chairman in Texas for his 1988 campaign.

Link (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Al_Gore_presidential_campaign,_1988)

Amazing how the first tea parties in Texas were against Perry, and are no longer on the 'tubes...

trey4sports
05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Im more worried about Bachmann than Perry..

payme_rick
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
I read this article to myself in the voice of Sam Elliot the second time, it made it more tolerable and I'll be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it... I suggest you all do the same... When you get to see "keep your powder dry" part, pause a bit before saying it and say it with great emphasis... awesome..

Honestly, If Perry waits a while before entering I think he'd do well to be honest... I can't stand the SoB, but he's got that "it" thing that republicans gobble up... and better hair than the Mittster...

Lord help us...

Flash
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I hope he secures the Republican nomination, if Ron can't get it, then we'll get Medina or Paul to run for Governor. :D

R3volutionJedi
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Wasn't Perry an attendant at the Bilderburger meetings a few years ago? Would make sense.

EXACTLY. Alex Jones was on his radio show a few months ago and said that Perry attend a meeting - and said we should keep eye on on him.

libertygrl
05-17-2011, 04:44 PM

Oh God, this guy just never goes away! He was the one responsible for pushing the NAFTA Super highway a few years back - yet the people of TX keep voting him in!

Nafta Superhighway Returns From The Dead

The Trans-Texas Corridor, part of the NAFTA Superhighway projected to link the United States with Canada and Mexico as an integral cog of the North American Union, is back on the agenda after Texas Governor Rick Perry lied in claiming that the proposal was dead earlier this year.

The open plan to merge the US with Mexico and Canada and create a Pan-American Union networked by a NAFTA Superhighway has long been a Globalist brainchild, but fierce opposition to the plan from activists across the country has stalled the plan at least temporarily.

A key component of the NAU transport system was the proposed Trans Texas Corridor, a massive 4,000 mile network of highways that were to be sold to the Spanish company Cintra and operated as toll roads – creating a huge new tax on the American people which would be paid directly to a foreign-owned private company.
Texas Governor and Bilderberg invitee Rick Perry launched a PR stunt in January when he claimed that the Trans Texas Corridor was dead, when in reality as Jerome Corsi and others pointed out, the project was merely to have its name changed and its design slightly altered.

“Close examination shows Perry’s declaration from Iraq involves yet more public relations efforts by the governor and TxDOT to defuse criticism from voters and reposition a hugely unpopular initiative by dropping the designation ‘Trans-Texas Corridor,’ or ‘TTC,’ while still allowing TxDOT to proceed with the components of the original TTC plan that had been scheduled for implementation now,” wrote Corsi.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/nafta-superhighway-returns-from-the-dead.html

Napoleon's Shadow
05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Bachman will run. Heard her today and all signs a go. Perry, not so much a go
Maybe he'll run instead of Bachmann. I think he might be easier to beat because his negatives are higher.

White Bear Lake
05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Im more worried about Bachmann than Perry..

I wouldn't be. The GOP establishment types that push Bush/Perry/Romney/Pawlenty/Cain/Daniels hate Bachmann almost as much as Paul. That's not to say Bachmann isn't formidable, she is, but her support comes much more from evangelicals and "tea partiers". I'm not entirely a fan of her, even though she is my rep in congress, but she's probably the GOP's best candidate after Paul and Johnson. She's actively campaigned against the fed with Ron in Minnesota.