PDA

View Full Version : Michael Steele on C-SPAN this a.m.

georgiaboy
05-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Former RNC chair Michael Steele gave his thoughts on the GOP 2012 candidates & this election cycle.

He thought that the GOP contender likely to capture the nomination would have to be "direct" and have a "clear vision" for what he/she would do as president.

He then went on to list the contenders and say that they all had some good qualities; he mentioned by name Pawlenty, Gingrich, Romney, maybe one or two others, but no Ron Paul. He also said that personal issues a la Newt Gingrich weren't going to be as big a deal this time around for voters.

The last call he got from a viewer was a guy who told Steele that he failed to mention - yep - Ron Paul! The caller listed Ron's credentials as we all know them, and Steele gave a knowing laugh and smile. Steele then said that Ron has a committed and active following, and he had predicted as long as 10 years ago the things that are happening now economically. He didn't use any derogatory language at all towards Ron, and was all positive.

Steele then repeated what he had said earlier, that the likely GOP nominee would be the one who is clear and direct with the American people about what needs to be done to right the ship, and the economy would likely be the biggest issue.

I came away from the interview wondering if Steele didn't already realize that Ron Paul was the right guy for the job, but for some reason he didn't list him along with the other candidates. Very strange.

RileyE104
05-17-2011, 09:32 AM
How's this for direct??

> JUST COME HOME! We just marched in, we can just come home!!!
> There is no authority in the Constitution for a central bank which means there should be NO FEDERAL RESERVE SYSTEM!!

:)

hillertexas
05-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I came away from the interview wondering if Steele didn't already realize that Ron Paul was the right guy for the job, but for some reason he didn't list him along with the other candidates. Very strange.

I saw this and left thinking the exact same thing. It was like "so you *do* know about Ron Paul?!" He really was playing dumb and then, when asked, knew quite a bit about Ron's views.

Johncjackson
05-17-2011, 10:21 AM
When politicians say things like "being clear and direct", what they mean is being pragmatic and having a "plan" they can sell to the electorate, not an abstract/principled stand on the issues. They want a compromised "plan." I mean, some Republicans consider Paul Ryan's plan too radical/extreme, when its really a very moderate proposal. Newt and some of the others are proposal things that are almost Obama-lite. Whether it's wrong or not, dismissing things as Unconstitutional and then not really offering a concrete followup is not seen as being direct. People who participate in elections believe in Big Government, and the idea that government needs to "do something," above all else.

dbill27
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Michale steele is irrelevant and for good reason.