PDA

View Full Version : What Rand Paul could teach Ron Paul

Wren
05-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Good advice for the campaign.

The problem isn’t that Paul puts his principles above politics. The problem is that by ignoring political considerations entirely, Paul argues for his principles less effectively.

However unfairly, the takeaway from these controversies is that Paul’s concern for the rights of terrorists and racists would take precedence over his willingness to defend U.S. national security or the rights of minorities.

Consider another South Carolina GOP debate, in 2007. Paul sparred with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani over the role U.S. foreign policy played in motivating the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Paul’s supporters were thrilled that their man stood up to Giuliani and defended the concept of blowback. But he failed to rebut Giuliani’s insinuation that the congressman believed the United States deserved to be attacked — putting a ceiling on how well he could do in a Republican primary.

When Paul’s son Rand ran for Senate in Kentucky, his Republican primary opponent released an ad alleging he blamed America for 9/11. The commercial even used footage of his father debating Giuliani. Rand Paul’s first reaction wasn’t to defend blowback but to defend himself from the charge.

He broadcast an indignant response: “[Y]our shameful TV ad is a lie, and it dishonors you.”

Rand Paul won.

His father wouldn’t have to remake himself as a slick politician to follow suit. The elder Paul initially noted that he had voted for going after bin Laden, and was “delighted” the terrorist was gone. He has articulated his opposition to racism and Jim Crow.

Yes, Ron Paul is running to expose more Americans to libertarian arguments. But there’s another way he can advance libertarianism.

It’s called winning.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/55097.html

S.Shorland
05-17-2011, 04:58 AM
He did rebut the insinuation - Using quotes from the Actual 911 Report! This is an attack piece for this primary now,to try to resurrect the insinuation.

Wren
05-17-2011, 05:10 AM
He did rebut the insinuation - Using quotes from the Actual 911 Report! This is an attack piece for this primary now,to try to resurrect the insinuation.

Yeah, that part was clearly false. However, I think the rest of the article provides constructive criticism for the campaign to consider.

cindy25
05-17-2011, 05:29 AM
true enough, but Rand had one opponent, a big govt country club Republican. If it was just Ron Paul vs Mitt Romney , or Paul vs Newt there would be no problem, as he could just win on Tarp, Health care or social issues. the problem is the war mongering social conservatives (Bachmann, Santorum ) who are also against Wall Street and Obamacare but who are pro-war, pro-Israel.

wgadget
05-17-2011, 06:51 AM
true enough, but rand had one opponent, a big govt country club republican. If it was just ron paul vs mitt romney , or paul vs newt there would be no problem, as he could just win on tarp, health care or social issues. The problem is the war mongering social conservatives (bachmann, santorum ) who are also against wall street and obamacare but who are pro-war, pro-israel.

who?

payme_rick
05-17-2011, 06:54 AM
We have to live by Paul's views and die by them because those views are what has brought the Dr. his popularity...

sailingaway
05-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Ron is Ron. He is finding better hooks for his audience to his views, but he gets attacked more than anyone as well. Ron doesn't HAVE 'soft ball interviews' on the left OR right.

And I completely disagree with throwing red meat. I think a lot of voters are disgusted by that. I know I am, it is insulting to our intelligence.

Cowlesy
05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I think Antle is spot-on. It's like he is outlining to Ron, "Hey, if you actually want to win and get the mom/pops who don't exist in the philosophical ether, take these items into consideration."

Ethek
05-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I agree with the article and with Cowlesy, Ron's style does not necessarily lead him to articulate those considerations many want to hear from him. His philosophy, too him, is often so comprehensive that I would doubt he thinks that his points are anything other than reassuring and humanitarian. Conservatives with a lot of angst need to hear some things Ron isn't saying in order to not go insane. Ron doesn't need to promise anything, only articulate the anxieties in a certain way.

Now, with Ron being so consistent.. and so in line with what everyone in their hearts knows is the moral philosophy (just having to get past their own anxiety to embrace it) that Ron simply needs to maintain his consistency and it takes on a kind of faith for people. Even for neo-conservatives who are highly reactionary. I would expect the most reactivity from them all the way up until the end. However if just the right amount of pull- and push from Rand and Ron can be delivered they will pull the lever for Ron even if they have hated him. Deep down they'll have too.

Rand can help simply by articulating some positions that Ron might not be as welcome on. Some social conservative issues and National Defense. To many people they are subconsciously the same person/set of positions. I don't think the dynamic could be much better between Ron and Rand.

AuH20
05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Rand would probably be out to a comfortable lead, if he was given these "gifts", his father has received thus far. No Huckabee. A looming debt crisis. Ron simply is a poor communicator, especially with details. He really needs to flesh out positions his better. We obviously speak his language, but not everyone is aware what he is talking about.

schiffheadbaby
05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Rand would probably be out to a comfortable lead, if he was given these "gifts", his father has received thus far. No Huckabee. A looming debt crisis. Ron simply is a poor communicator, especially with details. He really needs to flesh out positions his better. We obviously speak his language, but not everyone is aware what he is talking about.

Yes, I am surprised he hasn't talked about debt and currency problems more this time. These need to be his main areas of concern IMO

K466
05-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Overall it's an excellent article with very important advice: Don't get stuck on libertarian theory. Rather, focus on articulating your plans to the voters.

The Dark Knight
05-17-2011, 09:02 AM
I agree with this article. There is another way to push libertarian theory: Winning.

Cowlesy
05-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Remember Ron's Iowa Christian/Family speech? He needs to get into the home-spun level of talking more often like that to reach the people who perenially vote. Some Front-Porch Republicanism.

speciallyblend
05-17-2011, 09:04 AM
ooo i will wait until rand runs for president;) gotta love the monday morning quarterbacking ,rand is a senator . I will listen to Ron Paul. Rand is like sarah palin still much to learn!!! the bottom line is the gop is the problem not Ron Paul!!

AuH20
05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
ooo i will wait until rand runs for president;) gotta love the monday morning quarterbacking ,rand is a senator . I will listen to Ron Paul. Rand is like sarah palin still much to learn!!! the bottom line is the gop is the problem not Ron Paul!!

Frank Luntz declared the following the most effective ad of the last election cycle. It's unambiguously clear and to the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVorVi8gCJM

Romulus
05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Good advice from the Article... less teaching from RP and more 'as President I would'... talk.

Dare I say it, Ron could use just a little bit of arrogance/confidence when asserting his plans as President.

Dreamofunity
05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I'd agree with his point if Ron was younger, running for house/senate, or at least not the figurehead of a whole movement.

If someone is to head the revolution for the moment, I want that person to be principled no matter what.

Edit: That said, I would try to push the issues (economy, FED, wars, etc) and try to avoid FEMA/Drugs/Civil Rights/Etc on every show he goes on.

Johncjackson
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I think the Ghouliani debate confrontation was an important moment for the campaign. It may have turned off some people, but he gained more with it, IMHO.

A lot of times in life you really have to do something bold to stand out, even if it's unpopular. When you are a non-establishment candidate in a field of a dozen other "lower tier" candidates, I don't think it does anything to play it safe.

This time around might be different because his name recognition is higher and people might be paying attention more ( despite continued marginalization by the media).

Johncjackson
05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Frank Luntz declared the following the most effective ad of the last election cycle. It's unambiguously clear and to the point.

Who was running this for Rand's campaign?
Ron's ads in 2008 were TERRIBLE.

Cowlesy
05-17-2011, 10:14 AM

I believe in a talk I heard Luntz say to Rand, "You kicked his ASS with that ad."

JamesButabi
05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
That is a very good ad all around. Ron Paul would score HUGE points doing something similar

Bring the troops home and Protect the Borders
Make Social Security and Entitlements solvent
Downsize Big Government
Balance the Budget
Restore Privacy

AuH20
05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I believe in a talk I heard Luntz say to Rand, "You kicked his ASS with that ad."

Correct. And you know why it was so incredibly successful? Because Rand is talking to the voters as equals as opposed to talking down to them with predictable platitudes. It's concise, direct and leaves no room for interpretation. This type of straightforwardness is missing from the political arena because many politicans view us as ignorant children, they can easily placate as opposed to respected peers.

jtstellar
05-17-2011, 10:45 AM
rand actually made a lot of neocons at least stop ignoring ron paul/insult as hard as they did before because rand managed to get across a lot of his points and actually made some statists warm up to strict constitutionalists.. it's not fair to turn around and speak of rand as if this movement has nothing to learn from him, when we already benefit from his abilities.

Romulus
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I hope Rand does a good amt of campaigning for Ron here real soon.

K466
05-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Nice! I'd love to see Ron to something like that in the same format as Rand's commercial.

ForLibertyFight
05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
That is a very good ad all around. Ron Paul would score HUGE points doing something similar

Bring the troops home and Protect the Borders
Make Social Security and Entitlements solvent
Downsize Big Government
Balance the Budget
Restore Privacy

This would be a great ad. Run an ad like this in Iowa

sofia
05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
this is spot on!

Ron is a typical intellectual.....brilliant in some areas, but deaf, dumb, and blind in the common sense department.

The media is wiping the floor with Ron because he doesn't know how to play the game of marketing....and he is way too timid.

Ron has allowed the media to paint him as "that liberaltarian guy who wants to legalize heroin and blames America for everything."

Flame away at me if you will, but we will never win a GOP primary with this guy.

johnrocks
05-17-2011, 02:33 PM
I think he's doing just fine, now some supporters and by some; I mean a teeny tiny minority ; may could learn some human relation skills by reading "How to Win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie but I think Ron and his pretty damn consistent 30 plus year track record is doing just fine.

Some people you just aren't going to change;those that have their minds made up; they;like us; are simply not going to change for the most part, the recipe for gaining support is in the young , independent and/or undecided voters; imho anyway.

AuH20
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
this is spot on!

Ron is a typical intellectual.....brilliant in some areas, but deaf, dumb, and blind in the common sense department.

The media is wiping the floor with Ron because he doesn't know how to play the game of marketing....and he is way too timid.

Ron has allowed the media to paint him as "that liberaltarian guy who wants to legalize heroin and blames America for everything."

Flame away at me if you will, but we will never win a GOP primary with this guy.

And what's frightening is the fact that this caricature is not even who he really is. Ron Paul is not the reincarnation of Timothy Leary. But sensationalism sells papers these days.

puppetmaster
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Rand for VP.....and he runs the campaign. We need a well run campaign to SELL the message for Ron. The only way to win is to campaign to win. Pointed easy to understand hit people emotionally. That is a successful sales strategy. This could be an easy campaign if it was produced properly.

specsaregood
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
This would be a great ad. Run an ad like this in Iowa

And get it playing NOW. Spending money wisely will do a lot towards bringing in more money.

freshjiva
05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
However unfairly, the takeaway from these controversies is that Paul’s concern for the rights of terrorists and racists would take precedence over his willingness to defend U.S. national security or the rights of minorities.

This is not true. Ron Paul has clearly stated on the air that he's not interested in caring for the rights of terrorists, but for the rule of law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZvQmjNoYM

Jump straight to 4:20.

Ron Paul says,

If you work with the rule of law, an American citizen is supposed to at least have a little bit of his day in court. I realize that they're [the terrorists] are bad, and I don't care about protecting the bad people. I care about protecting American citizens so that they're never treated this way in court. We are drifting that way when you think about the enforcement of some of our drug laws, how our police barge in houses and shoot people that were total innocents. So I don't like that idea. I think we should protect the rule of law because we want to protect ALL Americans, not because we have sympathy for these bad people.

freshjiva
05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I really don't see how Ron Paul could be clearer about him wanting to protect our rule of law and of due process and NOT to protect the rights of criminals.

jtstellar
05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
we all want ron to do a little bit of this and that.. but i think rather than just hammering away at him, it's more effective to do this internally within his campaign by getting advice from a speech expert or something. also, sometimes some abilities just cannot be acquired in a short period of time for some individuals, so if what you're suggesting to him could potentially make matters worse, then by all means he should at least just stay the way he is.