PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul marathon

YumYum
05-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Ron Paul was a 220-yard dash state champion. My brother suggested that we can not only honor him, but we could raise a ton of money by having a Ron Paul marathon. We have got some runners on this forum. I can do 7 miles easily, and the most I have done is 15. Maybe we could do a shorter marathon. In any case, I think my brother's idea is great and would get a lot of national attention as well as raising money. What do you all think?

My mom just said we can call it "A Run For The Presidency".

eleganz
05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Didn't know he was a running champ! cool fact!

I think a marathon would get great attention but a mass march would get even more attention and more people would be comfortable to march than run.

YumYum
05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Didn't know he was a running champ! cool fact!

I think a marathon would get great attention but a mass march would get even more attention and more people would be comfortable to march than run.

We could combine it and make it walk/run for the presidency marathon.

KEEF
05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I just got finished watching Hannity go through the GOP field now that Trump and the Huck have dropped out, and low and behold, NOT ONE SINGLE MENTION OF RON PAUL. I am so sick of the media bias from Faux News. It seems that everyone of the other hopefuls are running on Ron Paul's 2008 platform (at least his economic one) and all of the conservative talking heads make them sound like it is all all a new idea. I feel like presenting any of those talking heads (Hannity, Limbaugh, ORielly, Beck) a challenge to show them how much support Ron Paul really has in America. Something like "Hey, I challenge any one of you (the names I mentioned above) to pick a date, any date and give us a 24 hour dollar figure challenge." We schedule a Money Bomb for that day. Winner gets a 1 hour segment on FOX News with no comercials.

QueenB4Liberty
05-16-2011, 07:58 PM
We could combine it and make it walk/run for the presidency marathon.

Yes, I can't run. lol

PPHILPOT
05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm in for a marathon. Wore a RP shirt when I ran Austin in Feb.

YumYum
05-16-2011, 08:01 PM
I just got finished watching Hannity go through the GOP field now that Trump and the Huck have dropped out, and low and behold, NOT ONE SINGLE MENTION OF RON PAUL. I am so sick of the media bias from Faux News. It seems that everyone of the other hopefuls are running on Ron Paul's 2008 platform (at least his economic one) and all of the conservative talking heads make them sound like it is all all a new idea. I feel like presenting any of those talking heads (Hannity, Limbaugh, ORielly, Beck) a challenge to show them how much support Ron Paul really has in America. Something like "Hey, I challenge any one of you (the names I mentioned above) to pick a date, any date and give us a 24 hour dollar figure challenge." We schedule a Money Bomb for that day. Winner gets a 1 hour segment on FOX News with no comercials.

I don't think we will have a problem raising money initially. What we need to do is have an event where the nation can see moms and dads, grandpas and grandmas, young people and everybody else that supports Ron Paul to be in the media's attention. I hate to say this, but what is hurting Ron Paul the most is the image the media has put on his supporters; it is not his message. His message is drawing in supporters everyday. We need the nation to see that Ron Paul supporters are everyday people who are decent. We are just plain old "folks", and a marathon would allow America to see that.

PaulConventionWV
05-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Ron Paul was a 220-yard dash state champion. My brother suggested that we can not only honor him, but we could raise a ton of money by having a Ron Paul marathon. We have got some runners on this forum. I can do 7 miles easily, and the most I have done is 15. Maybe we could do a shorter marathon. In any case, I think my brother's idea is great and would get a lot of national attention as well as raising money. What do you all think?

My mom just said we can call it "A Run For The Presidency".

"A shorter marathon"....???????

Marathons are ALWAYS 26.2 miles.

YumYum
05-16-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm in for a marathon. Wore a RP shirt when I ran Austin in Feb.

Kewl!! I ran a race in Nashville and wore my "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Ron Paul" tee-shirt.

YumYum
05-16-2011, 08:05 PM

We could make it 5 miles, or whatever everybody would agree to.

QueenB4Liberty
05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I can do 5 miles.

KEEF
05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, lets get a hold of Glenn Beck so he can help organize another one of his Washington Rallies. But oh wait, he has thrown Ron Paul under the Bus too. I'd be game for a big rally though, Washington Monument would draw the media if we filled up the mall.

thehighwaymanq
05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Can't we just do a 5k? Not all of us are runners or in shape haha

KEEF
05-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't think we will have a problem raising money initially. What we need to do is have an event where the nation can see moms and dads, grandpas and grandmas, young people and everybody else that supports Ron Paul to be in the media's attention. I hate to say this, but what is hurting Ron Paul the most is the image the media has put on his supporters; it is not his message. His message is drawing in supporters everyday. We need the nation to see that Ron Paul supporters are everyday people who are decent. We are just plain old "folks", and a marathon would allow America to see that.

Yeah, lets get a hold of Glenn Beck so he can help organize another one of his Washington Rallies. But oh wait, he has thrown Ron Paul under the Bus too. I'd be game for a big rally though, Washington Monument would draw the media if we filled up the mall.

Kenny Tan
05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm all for it. Let's start voting on a central location

YumYum
05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Can't we just do a 5k? Not all of us are runners or in shape haha

QueenB4Liberty said she can do 5 miles. I think 5 miles is a realistic number. Most people can walk 5 miles.

YumYum
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Shouldn't we pick a location where Ron Paul will be while he is campaigning?

KEEF
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM

For the race or rally?

YumYum
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
For the race or rally?

We could have both.

Kenny Tan
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www2.clustrmaps.com/stats/maps-clusters/www.campaignforliberty.com-n_am.jpg
Based on this map of C4L website hits. We should concentrate somewhere on the east coast.

Any particular liberty-leaning cities we want to support?

Bruno
05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I like the idea. If you are going to want to run five miles, might as well make it a 10k, about 6.5 miles.

YumYum
05-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I like the idea. If you are going to want to run five miles, might as well make it a 10k, about 6.5 miles.

A 10k sounds good. How would we get this up and running? pun intended :)

Nate-ForLiberty
05-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Even if people can't do the whole thing, they could "adopt" a portion of the run. That way people could relay instead of having to run the whole thing. Maybe the prize for the winner is crossing the finish line beside Ron Paul. That would be a great photo op of Ron Paul in shorts and a T-Shirt running in a marathon. Might get rid of the "he's too old" garbage.

YumYum
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Even if people can't do the whole thing, they could "adopt" a portion of the run. That way people could relay instead of having to run the whole thing. Maybe the prize for the winner is crossing the finish line beside Ron Paul. That would be a great photo op of Ron Paul in shorts and a T-Shirt running in a marathon. Might get rid of the "he's too old" garbage.

Couldn't Ron Paul supporters sponsor a runner?

Nate-ForLiberty
05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Couldn't Ron Paul supporters sponsor a runner?

That's an idea. But we wouldn't want too much of that. Part of this would be showing numbers I guess. Maybe if the sponsored runner was to wear a shirt with all the names of the people who sponsored him or something. I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Kenny Tan
05-17-2011, 10:01 AM
bump

outspoken
05-17-2011, 10:21 AM
It's a great idea... most big races like the city marathons (did the Baltimore one) have a 5K, 1/2 marathon, and full marathon. It's also a good way to show the better side of liberty minded Ron Paul supporters as this event will weed out all the weed-heads. :) Git R Done!

PineGroveDave
05-17-2011, 10:27 AM
It's a great idea... most big races like the city marathons (did the Baltimore one) have a 5K, 1/2 marathon, and full marathon. It's also a good way to show the better side of liberty minded Ron Paul supporters as this event will weed out all the weed-heads. :) Git R Done!

True, I just did the half marathon in the Oakland Running Festival this last March. I'd be up for a half marathon if it was to be out here in CA.

cdc482
05-17-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm in.

Kenny Tan
05-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Perhaps organize two separate ones. One on the West coast and one on the East coast.

muzzled dogg
05-17-2011, 10:42 AM
lol i cant run but im in!

swissaustrian
05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Great idea.
Slogan: RUN FOR RON
http://theshiva.me/web/wp-content/uploads/forrest-gump-hippie-running.jpg

Kenny Tan
05-17-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8kAjbuCIA&feature=related
Run for Ron!

FriedChicken
05-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I like the idea of multiple runs all over the US. They could be all on the same day but don't have to be either ... and could be varying distances.
Having several runs in several states over the period of a month could spread out the press coverage a little more and would ultimately mean bigger numbers since travel distances would be shortened to whichever race was closest.

FriedChicken
05-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Not to mention that in each town a race is held you'd draw in the local media as well.

dannno
05-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Except for half marathons.

randolphfuller
05-17-2011, 11:10 AM
I think 5 kilometers is the most popular road race distance and would draw the most entrants. Somethint for just participating is usually given out--t shirts being the most popular.

PaulConventionWV
05-17-2011, 11:59 AM
We could make it 5 miles, or whatever everybody would agree to.

Ok, but then it wouldn't be a marathon.

PaulConventionWV
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM

6.2 miles is 10k.

PaulConventionWV
05-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Perhaps organize two separate ones. One on the West coast and one on the East coast.

I like this idea.

I might also add that I'm a runner, so you will respect my authorita! on the matter...:collins::p:cool:

If this is going to be anything major, it's going to need to be at least a 10k, in my opinion. No 5k ever gets national recognition in the racing community. There are quite a few nationally recognized 10ks, however. A half marathon with a 5k and a mile fun run would also be great. I don't really know much about race organization, so that would have to be left up to someone in that area. In my opinion, it should be a relatively modest distance so that people aren't freaked out by it. It should also NOT be restricted to Paul supporters. Anyone can participate, provided they are aware that the race was organized in support of Ron Paul.

My personal suggestion on a place to hold the race would be Pittsburgh for the east coast. It's a pretty central location and many world-famous and nationally recognized races have been held there.

Another issue is prize money. There is going to need to be prize money in order to attract widespread attention. A first place prize of over $1000 might even attract international competition. The organizers could also issue appearance money to some big name runners in order to coax them to come. If we get a race organized with even just a few big name runners such as Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi, Galen Rupp, or Alan Webb together for a race, it would make waves among the running community, especially at Letsrun.com, the main news site and forum for running worldwide.

Again, I don't know anything about the organization, but that's just my two devaluated cents on the subject. If we are serious about this, I think it would be great.

outspoken
05-17-2011, 12:16 PM
If anyone has ever done a marathon, they know that they are a great promotional event and there's always a lot of enthusiasm at such affairs. I really think this would be cool and a great way to promote the liberty movement. Slogan could be 'don't lean forward, don't move forward.... but run forward towards freedom. Join the R3VOLUTION' This could be BIG!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090523100705AADPNY0

PaulConventionWV
05-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Except for half marathons.

That's why it's a HALF marathon. Full marathons are always 26.2 miles. That is the definition of a marathon.

PaulConventionWV
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I like the idea of multiple runs all over the US. They could be all on the same day but don't have to be either ... and could be varying distances.
Having several runs in several states over the period of a month could spread out the press coverage a little more and would ultimately mean bigger numbers since travel distances would be shortened to whichever race was closest.

I personally think the idea of multiple races would devalue the event. Every race tries to establish itself as authentic, and if there were multiple races, people would have to decide which one they were going to. Offering appearance money to certain big name runners to one race would also tend to make it more important than the other races. This kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple races.

Maximus
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
There should be a West Coast and an East Coast event, any more devalues as others have said.

PaulConventionWV
05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
There should be a West Coast and an East Coast event, any more devalues as others have said.

Agreed.

fuzzybekool
05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
In order to get maximum people to want to join in, it should be a traditional 5 Kilometer walk/run. Most people can not run 26 Mile marathons.

FriedChicken
05-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Well... alright seems I have the minority opinion on this so I don't mind backing the more popular idea.
But my opinion is still the same. I don't think hardly anyone from Indiana will be running in the race if it is that far away and I also don't think the average hoosier would take notice of a race being done somewhere else in the country. However, if there was a race closer by I think it would get more local press (newspapers, news, etc.) and would in the end reach more people.

thehighwaymanq
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
In order to get maximum people to want to join in, it should be a traditional 5 Kilometer walk/run. Most people can not run 26 Mile marathons.

Exactly. We need a good short distance, not 26 miles!

Oh, and I bet you Ron would come because he loves to run /bike.

PaulConventionWV
05-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Exactly. We need a good short distance, not 26 miles!

Oh, and I bet you Ron would come because he loves to run /bike.

I still think a 10k would be better than a 5k. Very few 5ks are ever nationally renowned. There are quite a few big 10ks, though.

YumYum
05-17-2011, 04:58 PM
What if Ron Paul supporters held a 5K or 10K in the smaller towns wherever Ron is campaigning? It could be a combination run/rally/bar-b-que. Let's say we have these smaller events in approximately 20-30 towns/cities. Then, just before the nomination, we could have a couple of marathons; one on the East Coast, and one on the West Coast, and hopefully the big name runners would compete. Also, we would want the winners of the smaller events to be there for the marathons. He is running for president; and we can too, by "running for the presidency". At the smaller events the winner and runner ups could get prizes and sit with Ron during the dinner. But the marathons could pay out cash prizes to the winners and runner ups. That way, as was pointed out, we could get some serious competition signed up to run.

The smaller events would draw the local media and public. The marathons would be covered nationally and get plenty of coverage, imo.

Umbro2914
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I still think a 10k would be better than a 5k. Very few 5ks are ever nationally renowned. There are quite a few big 10ks, though.

but this is a political fundraising 5k, now how many of those exist? that is what would draw the attention.

Kenny Tan
05-20-2011, 03:39 PM
bumpin

ScotTX
05-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Great idea! But we have to have one in Austin. This is a big Ron Paul town and a big running town (and Ron's home state) and may be easier for some folks to get to rather than East Coast or West Coast. It would be huge.