PDA

View Full Version : Romney Event Hauls In $10.25 Million...

pulp8721
05-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Crap. Headline on Drudge. Well, they are wealthy donors after all. LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_go_ot/us_romney_campaign_money

sailingaway
05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
As I just posted on another thread:

He had all those big donor dinners and meetings last week. Personally I am sure he had them wait and donate until today so it was really a week's worth. However, we will know when his filings come out what his take was for the quarter. Thing is, his big donors can't give again, they are maxed out.

Theocrat
05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
It looks like we have ourselves a little bit of competition in fund-raising... [lol]

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-16-2011, 07:21 PM
10$ says his list is comprised of:

Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
GE
MIC
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
etc.

Any takers?

Anti Federalist
05-16-2011, 07:39 PM
From the article:

Aides refused to allow reporters into the phone bank room

I call Shenanigans.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_P8n0J5nF3I0/SgybsHfn4FI/AAAAAAAAAdg/SDv5Qycnyo0/s400/shenanigans.jpg

Carehn
05-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
GE
MIC
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
etc.

Any takers?
Ding Ding Ding!!!

kahless
05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
We need to get that list and convert the donors.

Agorism
05-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Saw this earlier and wasn't sure if I should post it or not. I don't good news about Romney.

DXDoug
05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Ya i remember last election, people donated max to guiliana, then romney, then paul.. Rich Repubs just want to win they dont care who it is.

QueenB4Liberty
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
GE
MIC
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
etc.

Any takers?

qft!

special has a point though, big donors can't give once they have maxed out! :D

Sentinelrv
05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
We need to run with this idea floating around to triple our donations by phonbanking the country during our money bombs. We could blow Romney out of the water!

kylejack
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
As I just posted on another thread:

He had all those big donor dinners and meetings last week. Personally I am sure he had them wait and donate until today so it was really a week's worth. However, we will know when his filings come out what his take was for the quarter. Thing is, his big donors can't give again, they are maxed out.
Unfortunately there are a lot of clever ways to put more money in. Goldman Sachs gave a ton of money to a lot of candidates in 2008, probably knowing that their company was about to melt down.

Also, corporations can spend their own money on ads this year. I fear this is going to be very bad for candidates like Paul.

NickOdell
05-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Could you guys comment on my thread? I need some help convincing my dad that Romney is not a good idea. I'm trying to convert my parents since I can't vote in this election, too young. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?293477-Reasons-NOT-to-vote-for-Mitt-Romney&p=3281009#post3281009

Thanks

kah13176
05-16-2011, 08:50 PM
I wonder if Mormons are required to tithe? If so, does the church use its tithings to finance his campaigns?

I'm rather interested. If so, that's just morally wrong however you cut it.

truthdivides
05-16-2011, 08:52 PM
I wonder if Mormons are required to tithe? If so, does the church use its tithings to finance his campaigns?

Mormons are required to tithe. I don't know about your other questions though.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Romney Event Hauls In $10.25 Million...

Aides refused to allow reporters into the phone bank room

Ten million of it was donated by Mitt Romney himself.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2011, 08:59 PM

LoL yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

DjLoTi
05-16-2011, 09:01 PM
it only takes 4,000 people to donate $2,500 .....

Tinnuhana
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Usually, the tithe is for the upkeep of the pastors (Don't muzzle the ox while it's treading out the corn). But I don't know if the LDS follows that scripture or not. This church I attended had this joke about praying for the pastor: "Lord, you keep him humble and we'll keep him poor."

anaconda
Crap. Headline on Drudge. Well, they are wealthy donors after all. LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_go_ot/us_romney_campaign_money

I don't get this...can the donations be more than $2500 for this event??????

kylejack
So what's the deal with the moneybombs? I was a little late on the recent moneybomb, but I'd like to do one now. It feels like we're going to raise less money this time, but I'd still like to be a part of it.

kylejack
05-16-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't get this...can the donations be more than $2500 for this event??????
$2500 per person. It says he had his bigshot fundraisers call all the people in their rolodexes.

gerryb
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
it only takes 4,000 people to donate $2,500 .....

Just need a list of large donors that would lean toward Paul..

I'm in for maxing out if we could get a few hundred or thousand others to do the same =)

kylejack
05-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I wonder why ronpaul2012.com doesn't have a running tally up yet. That was one of the most motivational things about the 2008 campaign. Aside from the major moneybombs, there were a bunch of smaller moneybombs that just came out of threads here, and people could see their money go in right away.

South Park Fan
05-16-2011, 09:30 PM
I didn't realize Romney had 4000 rich friends.

Suzu
05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
George Romney was governor of Michigan part of the time while I was growing up. Looking now at his son, my hunch is we are seeing a "Greg Stillson" type of character. (If you don't know who that is, see this movie (http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Zone-Christopher-Walken/dp/B00004W5UG).)

iamse7en
05-16-2011, 11:56 PM

Mormons are asked to tithe. Americans are commanded to pay income tax. There's a difference. :) But yes, you promise to try and pay tithing when you are baptized. And no! The Church does not finance anything to do with his campaign. It would lose tax-exempt status and stays out of politics, unless it is for issues relating to culture's definition of the family, as they did in Prop 8.

anaconda
05-17-2011, 01:38 AM

Link?

anaconda
05-17-2011, 01:39 AM
I didn't realize Romney had 4000 rich friends.

I thought it was 400?

leipo
05-17-2011, 01:49 AM
http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/2-54Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_affi liate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/682-Mitt_Romney_Fundraising_Las_Vegas.sff.standalone.p rod_affiliate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/52-795Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_aff iliate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/126-40Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_affi liate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/279-977Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_aff iliate.39.jpg

Austin
05-17-2011, 01:51 AM
I bet a good portion of that amount is pledges:

Romney spent part of his day crisscrossing the phone bank room, which was flanked by two oversize American flags. Hundreds of volunteers called their contacts for credit cards numbers and contribution pledges. A sign read: "Believe in America."

With 400 people there, they raised/received pledges for about $25,000 each.

erowe1
05-17-2011, 07:16 AM
I bet a good portion of that amount is pledges:

With 400 people there, they raised/received pledges for about $25,000 each.

It will be interesting if he reports having raised less than 10.25 million this quarter.

swiftfoxmark2
05-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Romney, like McCain was in 2008, is the GOP fall back candidate. Unless Ron Paul wows people outside of his clique within the next few months, Romney will be running for President against Obama in 2012.

sailingaway
05-17-2011, 07:26 AM
They said he did this last time too, and with all the meetings he has had to line people up for this, and with him being the purported 'establishment frontrunner' this time, it isn't that much more than last time.

As for the money bombs, we need to do them, but while we need to do our best to get 'big money' to Ron at least by third quarter, the fact is there are people who won't really be looking at candidates until nearer the election. I know I didn't last time, and I did donate in the two big money bombs even though it wasn't until after that that I really did my research. People just don't feel any particular rush to look into candidates unless they are political junkies. And I sure wasn't, BEFORE I found that Ron existed. But we do need to build to a big money bomb and the problem isn't that there is not one out there but that there are competing ones. We need to go with something.

AdamT
05-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Romney, like McCain was in 2008, is the GOP fall back candidate. Unless Ron Paul wows people outside of his clique within the next few months, Romney will be running for President against Obama in 2012.

Statist hack (D) vs Statist hack (R). Wow what a choice.

AdamT
05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/2-54Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_affi liate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/682-Mitt_Romney_Fundraising_Las_Vegas.sff.standalone.p rod_affiliate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/52-795Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_aff iliate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/126-40Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_affi liate.39.jpg

http://media.bellinghamherald.com/smedia/2011/05/16/16/279-977Mitt_Romney_Fundraising.sff.standalone.prod_aff iliate.39.jpg

These images scare me.

erowe1
05-17-2011, 07:36 AM

I'm not sure if he really is or not. I think he has a head start because a lot of people have seen him that way since 2008. But it remains to be seen how much the establishment is behind him. I could see them picking Pawlenty or Daniels.

kylejack
05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Anything can happen. McCain was a longshot for much of the nomination process last go-round. Giuliani was originally considered the presumptive nominee, but ended up taking less votes than Ron Paul in the states where they competed.

K466
05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Does this mean Romney has broke Ron Paul's record $6 million day??

We've got to do something about this...

erowe1
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Anything can happen. McCain was a longshot for much of the nomination process last go-round. Giuliani was originally considered the presumptive nominee, but ended up taking less votes than Ron Paul in the states where they competed.

Actually McCain was originally considered the presumptive nominee.

swiftfoxmark2
05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
When I said Romney was the fall back candidate, I meant it.

Last year, after Paul won the 2010 CPAC straw poll, I ran a poll on a conservative forum. It was multiple selection where I asked about voting for Ron Paul, should he win the nomination. Much to my surprise and dismay, 1/3 of the posters there said they'd vote third party or for Obama. And these were the people who were browbeating folks like me for refusing to vote for McCain as the lesser of two evils.

In other words, the conservative movement, by and large, will pick Romney over Paul precisely because they can't stand Paul for whatever reason.

speciallyblend
05-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Ron Paul wows alot of folks. It is the gop leadership and the republican sheep that are fighting ron paul!! The corruption of the gop is what is stopping ron paul!! we can only hope the grassroots can expose the corruption or the same leaders will go backroom and marginalize ron paul just like they did last time! Most of the talking points against ron paul are from the gop leadership and folks trying to keep their local positions as leaders(what a joke) by spouting this crap! We keep fighting but i suspect the gop will endorse obama by nominating anyone but Ron Paul!

speciallyblend
05-17-2011, 09:25 AM
When I said Romney was the fall back candidate, I meant it.

Last year, after Paul won the 2010 CPAC straw poll, I ran a poll on a conservative forum. It was multiple selection where I asked about voting for Ron Paul, should he win the nomination. Much to my surprise and dismay, 1/3 of the posters there said they'd vote third party or for Obama. And these were the people who were browbeating folks like me for refusing to vote for McCain as the lesser of two evils.

In other words, the conservative movement, by and large, will pick Romney over Paul precisely because they can't stand Paul for whatever reason.

bottom line is their blind corruption thru the gop leadership which encourages this blind corruption is the problem!!! the problem with the republican is the republican party!!

JamesButabi
05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Bottom line is we need establishment endorsements like Rand got. If not, it will still be a wild ride and Il be grinding it out one mind at a time.

Sentient Void
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
How could *anyone* trust a guy who wants to be president soooo much and wants to dictate certain things about your life?

That's the LAST type of guy I want as my president.

cavalier973
05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
It won't help. Huckabee got more delegates in 2008 than Romney did, even though Huck spent 1/10th of what Romney spent.

UPDATE: This, however, is a severe blow:
http://thehill.com/capital-living/in-the-know/161557-actress-cindy-crawford-now-a-romney-supporter-

MR2Fast2Catch
05-17-2011, 02:09 PM

We've got to do something about this...

Technically, I don't think it does because Romney has not officially announced yet. He is still in the exploratory phase. (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

So yes, he eclipsed us, but I don't think it beats the record because he hasn't officially announced.

Regardless, we need to figure out how to make the money bombs bigger this time. It's going to be hard to have big money bombs this early in the campaign too. Last time the money bombs were huge cause it was closer to the Iowa Caucus and everyone was fired up. What really matters is if we can have a money bomb that big, much earlier so Ron can get his campaign rolling.

freshjiva
05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Is it safe to say we in the Ron Paul camp should focus our collective efforts on attacking and educating people about Mitt Romney's flipflops? With Huckabee and Trump out, and now Gingrich getting slammed by the Tea Party for his comments on the healthcare mandate, the real contenders are down to Romney, Palin, and Paul, with outside shots coming from Pawlenty, Cain, and Bachmann.

ctiger2
05-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Regardless, we need to figure out how to make the money bombs bigger this time.

Ron has to inspire people in the debates to donate to him. There should be a money bomb on every debate day.

specsaregood
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Ron has to inspire people in the debates to donate to him. There should be a money bomb on every debate day.

I think the big thing is his campaign needs to get serious, set the talking points and limit the message and get materials out to the supporters immediately. The quicker they get a real campaign going, the better his fundraising will be.

spudea
05-17-2011, 04:28 PM

I highly doubt this.

What is insidiously ignored is if the $10 million figure includes pledges, meaning a person couldn't donate immediately and pledged to make a donation in the future and that donation may or may not materalize.

Imaginos
05-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
GE
MIC
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
etc.

Any takers?
Add Military Industrial Complex and AIPAC.
Along with banking cartel, MIC and AIPAC will be the main fuel for Romney.

devil21
05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I highly doubt this.

What is insidiously ignored is if the $10 million figure includes pledges, meaning a person couldn't donate immediately and pledged to make a donation in the future and that donation may or may not materalize.

Exactly. Pledges mean jack shit in the tally. I can pledge a lot and just not do it. I think this $10mil number is BS.

doodle
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Won't bo too surprised if $9.5 Mil of that sum came from a generous donation from his distant uncle Sideburns who had got a generous gift from Mitt not long ago lol

Besides, this headline is much better than headline like these:

Romney makes an $8.5 million loan to his campaign
Oct 4, 2007 ... David Freddoso writes on NRO: On the one hand, it means that Romney didn't raise what he felt he needed. On the other hand, it's a sign that ...
www.nationalreview.com/.../romney...loan-his-campaign/david-freddoso

TaxProf Blog: Romney Writes-Off $45m Campaign Loans
Jul 21, 2008 ... On the Tax Prof blog, Paul Caron has this post noting that, by writing off the $45 million in loans to his campaign, Mitt Romney must also ...
taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/07/romney-writes-o.html

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Add Military Industrial Complex and AIPAC.
Along with banking cartel, MIC and AIPAC will be the main fuel for Romney.

I did include the MIC (See MIC :p).

K466
05-19-2011, 08:01 AM
I highly doubt this.

I was wondering how much was pledges. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Ron Paul needs a $10 million day this year. And a $5 million day before the Ames straw poll (okay, maybe that's too ambitious...)