PDA

View Full Version : Tasered to death by cops for running a stop sign

Anti Federalist
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Man dies after San Bernardino County deputies use Taser on him

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/05/man-dies-taser-san-bernardino-county-sheriffs-deputies.html

A 43-year-old man from the Lake Arrowhead area died after San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies used a Taser to subdue him after a traffic stop, authorities said Wednesday.

A deputy attempted a traffic stop on Allen Kephart, a local DJ and teacher’s assistant from Crest Park, after he allegedly ran a stop sign Tuesday on Highway 189 in Blue Jay, said Cindy Bachman, a Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman.

Kephart pulled into a Valero gas station parking lot about a quarter mile away, got out of the car and "became combative and uncooperative" with the deputy, Bachman said. Additional deputies arrived at the scene to assist, she said.

"The deputy attempted to place him under arrest, at which time he was Tased," Bachman said. “He became unconscious, and medical aid was immediately provided -- CPR."

Kephart was taken to a local hospital, where he was declared dead.

Kephart’s father, a member of the Sheriff’s Department’s volunteer mounted Rangers unit for decades, called his son’s death a senseless use of excessive force. The incident happened when his son was returning to the family home after filling up his car with gas in Crestline.

"To me, it’s not just a traffic stop. It’s murder. You don’t kill a person for running a stop sign," said Jack Kephart, also of Crest Park.

The father said witnesses told him that the deputy slammed his son to the ground. His son was Tased about eight times by two deputies, said Jack Kephart, who dismissed assertions that his son was combative with the deputies.

“He’s never raised a hand in 43 years. He goes to church three times a week. He does the audio for the church in Crestline," Jack Kephart said. “He works three jobs. He’s never had a drink. Never done drugs. Never smoked. Never done nothing."

Allen Kephart was heavyset, weighing about 350 pounds, and had high blood pressure, his father said.

“Those Tasers are deadly," the father said. “They should know there could be problems ... using them on someone who is heavy." He said he is considering taking legal action against the department.

Allen Kephart ran his DJ service in the mountain community, and also worked as a teacher’s aide and janitor for a local school district. He also held jobs at a local radio station and television station, his father said.

Sheriff’s Department homicide detectives are investigating the incident, and the Riverside County coroner will perform an autopsy to determine Kephart’s cause of death, Bachman said.

CrissyNY
05-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Thank you for posting these cop stories; I am amazed at the frequency of general brutality with the police.

olehounddog
05-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Thank you for posting these cop stories; I am amazed at the frequency of general brutality with the police.

http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/

Check this daily.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2011, 06:59 PM

Check this daily.

Yup, that ^^^

aGameOfThrones
05-16-2011, 07:02 PM
I totally understand why the cops tasered him in the first place... 'cause running a stop sign can kill you.

/s

JK/SEA
05-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah, well we know how this investigation will turn out. Autopsy report finds out it wasn't the tasers, it was a heart attack. He weighed 350 lbs. had high blood pressure.

Police get medals, Kepharts family has to pay for new tasers, and the traffic ticket... life goes on. Next.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2011, 07:06 PM

Check this daily.

Awesome, I looked over their recording matrix and it's almost a mirror image of what I use in my own mind to post stories here:

http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Report-Criteria-Flow.png

VIDEODROME
05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Should tasers just be banned? This is ridiculous.

aGameOfThrones
05-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Should tasers just be banned? This is ridiculous.

They still got guns.

Danke
05-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Another stop-sign-incomplete-stop-driver off the roads. I feel safer.

nolvorite
05-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Hey, liberals want you to drive slower stop that shit

schiffheadbaby
05-16-2011, 07:45 PM
hey wait, am I really more likely to be killed by the police than terrorists? just kidding, that's obvious. I'm sure the CIA/FBI/police will try to kill many of us, be prepared. Make sure your fitness is topnotch and be prepared to defend yourself from the real terrorists aka the police.

Thank you AF for the article

Echoes
05-16-2011, 07:48 PM
What's next..tazering for jaywalking ?

aGameOfThrones
05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
What's next..tazering for jaywalking ?

Maybe, maybe. I know there is shooting you dead for woodcarving while walking.

thexjib
05-22-2011, 09:31 AM
The Sheriffs are changing their story and covering up the truth about Allen Kephart!

Everybody needs to know this!

The cops justification for this incident hinges on the assertion that Mr. Kephart was fleeing the officer and was therefor subject to a "high risk" stop. The cops assertion is a crock of BS.

This video shows the drive in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51wz8jx6fns

The Sun 5/10/11: "About 3:15 p.m., San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies saw a vehicle run a stop sign in the area of Highway 18 and Daley Canyon.

The deputy attempted a traffic stop, but the driver of the vehicle continued another quarter mile and pulled into a gas station, said sheriff's spokeswoman Jodi Miller." http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_18035651

Mountain new 5/19/11: "Confusion about where the reported stop-sign violation occurred may have contributed to the controversy swirling around the incident. Some Internet postings say it took place at Daley Canyon Road and Highway 18, and their authors contend the Valero station was an appropriate place for Kephart to stop....But because authorities say the violation occurred at Daley Canyon and 189, Kephart would have had to drive approximately a half-mile up Daley Canyon to reach Highway 18, thus passing at least one turnout, as well as another on Highway 18 before reaching the Valero station." http://www.mountain-news.com/news/article_5ff11ba4-822b-11e0-a487-001cc4c002e0.html?success=1

Fight injustice.

jkr
05-22-2011, 10:20 AM
"stop or ill shoot"

"stop AND ill shoot"

shot and you'll stop.

jkr
05-22-2011, 10:23 AM
ooooooooooooo a whole 1/4 mile!
glad they got that terreriss! dont YOU feel safe now?

it is the responsibility of the driver to pull over in a safe location piggy so this would be a
FAIL!

heavenlyboy34
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Saved and shared. Thanks for posting, AF.

Invi
05-22-2011, 10:44 AM
it is the responsibility of the driver to pull over in a safe location piggy so this would be a
FAIL!

This. Pulling over somewhere public and off the road is always the best option. Unfortunately, not all cops seem to get that.

awake
05-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Why didn't they just shoot him... he might have lived. Do Electro-executioners, save on court costs?

Anti Federalist
05-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Why didn't they just shoot him... he might have lived. Do Electro-executioners, save on court costs?

You are closer to the truth than you realize.

You'd be amazed at how much of this is also driven by the lawyers and insurance companies.

Taze a citizen down, rather than wrestle with somebody, and if he gets dead, no big deal, we'll (meaning the cops and the town) shift the lawsuit to the tazer company.

Between the feds and their fusion centers providing warzone training and WMDs to every local cop shop in the country, the lawyers and the insurance companies, you don't stand a chance, if there is any question whatsoever, if you do not immediately and completely comply with everything they say (and many times, even if you do) you are going to "taken out", hard.

If you value your life, your freedom, your health, family and pets, avoid cops at all costs, do whatever you have to do to limit your exposure to them.

Unless, of course, you are approaching an encounter with cops for the specific purpose of engaging in civil disobedience.

awake
05-22-2011, 01:08 PM
We had 4 mounties electrocute a man to death in an airport in Canada a few years back, naturally the "men of law" got charged with perjury and the RCMP got a larger budget to "handle" these mistakes in the future. Ass backwards.

DamianTV
08-12-2011, 04:38 AM
The Severity of the Crime did not Justify the Actions of the Police.

What is concerning me is the number of Laws that we are expected to know and be accountable for. Does that mean that on August 20th, during Lemonade Freedom Day that we are going to see Little Girls getting Tazered to Death for Operating a Lemonade Stand without a $500 Business License? When does this extension of the Law and the Violence of the Police that entails end? At your Front Door? Inside your Front Door? When do the Laws Stop? At being required to get a Bill of Health before being allowed to eat a Donut, or a slice of Bacon? Will people be tazered for that? You bet your sweet ass they will be tazered, just dont even try to think about what else happens if we ever get that far.

LibertyEagle
08-12-2011, 04:47 AM

Yes, although to be fair, there should also be stories about some of the good that cops do too. Not all of them are bad.

DamianTV
08-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Not all politicians are bad either. I can name one truly honest politician.

Ron Paul.