PDA

View Full Version : Conn. High School Requires Students to Know English to Graduate

bobbyw24
05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Call LaRaza and the ACLU!

New London — For the eighth-graders who become freshmen this fall and the teachers getting ready to instruct them, the countdown has begun on what could be one of the most significant changes to public education in the city's history.

Starting in 2015, all New London High School students will be required to know American English, and demonstrate it, before they receive their diplomas on graduation day.

http://rp12.us/aIU3n

steve005
05-16-2011, 09:43 AM
I should of got my diploma in 04, I needed 21 credits, I had 23, but no english 4, so I said fuk it and got my GED, so what your saying is already going on in ohio

Teaser Rate
05-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I should of got my diploma in 04, I needed 21 credits, I had 23, but no english 4, so I said fuk it and got my GED, so what your saying is already going on in ohio

You really should have taken that English course in my opinion.

Roxi
05-16-2011, 10:10 AM
If there was one thing in regard to public schooling that I would support my money paying for, it is to make sure these people can spell, and form a proper sentence before graduating.

AuH20
05-16-2011, 10:13 AM
This is incredibly racist. :)

acptulsa
05-16-2011, 10:26 AM
This is incredibly racist. :)

If you're implying that there are races who can't learn the language, then guess where the real racist implication came from.

Yes, I know you're being sarcastic, my friend.. I'm reminding everyone how easy this crap is to turn back on the person who first issued it.

steve005
05-16-2011, 10:26 AM
You really should have taken that English course in my opinion.

haha, why? did you misunderstand something I said? lets think for a minute... how did we get words in the first place?; from people who meant what they said and say what they mean, not people who were worried about spelling or whatever

Dr.3D
05-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I thought English was required in all high school and colleges in the United States. Try getting a degree without taking English 101.

goldencane
05-16-2011, 10:46 AM
In >99% of schools how can you graduate without knowing English anyways? It is the language of instruction and most schools do not teach in other languages. That being said, I don't think it should be a requirement.

RyanRSheets
05-16-2011, 11:02 AM
In >99% of schools how can you graduate without knowing English anyways? It is the language of instruction and most schools do not teach in other languages. That being said, I don't think it should be a requirement.

I think the locality should decide how it wants to handle this, but no federal or state funding should go to teaching in other languages. I don't care what languages other people want to speak, I just don't want a dime of my money stolen for translation. If a city feels that it is necessary to provide translation services, let them do it, because they know their situation best.

steve005
05-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't care what languages other people want to speak, I just don't want a dime of my money stolen for translation

there are huge benefits to our children being bi-lingual, and we are behind the rest of the world in that area, could be why we don't know whats going on in the world