PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney : "The Patriot Act is a Useful Tool to Gather Information"

Ex Lux lucis
05-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Not surprising really. Fully endorses the Patriot Act and "enhanced interrogation"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdrblWtB5MI&feature=player_embedded

"I support tough interrogation techniques, enhanced interrogation techniques, in circumstances where there is a ticking time bomb, a ticking bomb," Romney said. "I do not support torture, but I do support enhanced interrogation techniques to learn from terrorists what we need to learn to keep the bombs from going off."

Romney answered questions about torture during a Republican debate in May but his answers Friday expanded on the issue.

The former Massachusetts governor also praised President Bush for enactment of the Patriot Act. Critics of the law contend that the government has invaded Americans' privacy using the newfound powers of the act, such as the Justice Department's authority on wiretapping.

"Our president, for all the criticism he receives, has kept America safe these last six years, and he has done it by: One pursuing the Patriot Act, which has given us the intelligence information we needed to find out who the bad guys were and get them out before they got us, and No. 2, when al-Qaida was calling America, he made sure someone here was listening," Romney said. "And No. 3 ... when terrorists were detained, were captured, he made sure we interrogated them."

Associated Press
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/7/26/211907.shtml

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

Bruno
05-15-2011, 10:32 PM
So, basically Romney is saying in the interest of keeping you alive, your right that supercedes all other rights, the government can take away all your other rights, freedoms, and liberties.

Live Free or Die
05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
From one "useful tool" to another.

low preference guy
05-15-2011, 10:38 PM
So, basically Romney is saying in the interest of keeping you alive, your right that supercedes all other rights, the government can take away all your other rights, freedoms, and liberties.

That's the mainstream view.

Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do.

Bruno
05-15-2011, 10:40 PM
That's the mainstream view.

Sadly true.

And that is quite and ignorant and scary quote from Rudy.

Ex Lux lucis
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Sadly true.

And that is quite and ignorant and scary quote from Rudy.

That Rudy quote is terrifying. Orwellian doublespeak at its finest.

ronpaulitician
05-15-2011, 10:47 PM
They spent $300 million to protect 10 sites for 17 days? Almost $2 million per day per site? I guess Blackwater must've been busy that month.

specsaregood
05-15-2011, 10:47 PM
These guys keep trying to hide behind the jack bauer ticking time bomb defense. Since that was NOT the case in all the other torture situations it would be nice if just one reporter followed by saying, "so you disapprove of the torture interrogation during the bush years since there was no ticking time bomb?"

Ex Lux lucis
05-15-2011, 10:58 PM
They spent $300 million to protect 10 sites for 17 days? Almost $2 million per day per site? I guess Blackwater must've been busy that month.

I noticed that too. Not very efficient:rolleyes:. But it's only taxpayer dollars right?