PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations! You're now the organizer of The <Your County> Ron Paul / Liberty Meetup

gerryb
05-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Just started a new meetup for my county. I encourage you all to do the same if you are not already a member of an existing meetup. These were crucial in the 2008 campaign for distributing information

My meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/The-Carroll-County-Ron-Paul-Liberty-Meetup-Group/

I found a coupon code "newyear2011" which gave 50% off the monthly dues.

What information should I include on the "landing page" -- it said my group will be announced to 1,068 members in about 3 days.

I plan to add all of the local republican and democrat committee meetings, as well as any town meetings, town halls, etc. Any other ideas for calendar items?

gerryb
05-15-2011, 06:38 PM
No suggestions on what content I should include?

Carehn
05-15-2011, 07:44 PM
i did the same a bit back. still need to do alot and plan some stuff. http://www.meetup.com/Ron-Paul-2012-Pocatello/

Austin
05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the coupon.. Remember, you can actually organize up to three groups at a time. :)

EDIT: I would focus on Republican activities; afterall, Ron is running for the Republican Party nomination. If you want folks to get involved in general, Campaign for Liberty has a good program that has you list all of your local political information.

tangent4ronpaul
05-15-2011, 11:51 PM
bump!

Jeremy
05-15-2011, 11:52 PM
I thought we were moving away from using meetup.com?

gerryb
05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I thought we were moving away from using meetup.com?

There's no better platform that I know of.

C4L can't speak Ron Paul's name, and their website sucks, frankly. Meetup.com is the recruitment and communication tool to bring folks into the wider fold. I think a lot of people read about Ron Paul and the success of meetups, and go looking there for local organization.

tangent4ronpaul
05-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Meetup and Twitter Bomb!

To celebrate Dr. Paul's announcement today, lets kickstart the Meetups and boost his follower count on Twitter.

1) Follow Dr. Paul on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/repronpaul Lets get him a million followers!
2) If you're a member of a Ron Paul Meetup, visit it and have a Meeting.
3) Are you a Meetup organizer that hasn't used all 3 of your Meetups? Please seed a Meetup or two. The early states are particularly important. The intent isn't to carpetbag, but to hand over the group to a local when it reaches critical mass. Right now we have ~40,000 supporters that were orphaned when their Meetup went away – we want those people back! If a Ron Paul Meetup shows up within 50 miles of them, Meetup e-mails them and tells them about it. Lets get these Meetups and supporters back.
4) If your Meetup went away, how about starting one and being the organizer? Remember, you get 3 for the price of 1, so please seed!

The top twenty cities with people looking for a Ron Paul Meetup can be found at the bottom of this page: http://ronpaul.meetup.com/

If you are or become a Ron Paul Meetup Organizer, please join the National Ron Paul Organizer Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-511/

Early states where we used to have Meetups: (Check for existing groups before creating one)

IA: Ames, Britt, Burlington, Carrol, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, Corning, Davenport, Des Moines, Debuque, Fairfield, Hampton, Humbolt, Iowa City, Newton, Sioux City, Urbandale, Washington, Waterloo

NH: Concord, Conway, Dover, Hanover, Manchester, Nashua, Plymouth, Portsmith

SC:Aiken, Anderson, Bluffton, Chapin, Charleston, Columbia, Florence, Greenville, Greer, Lugoff, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, Spartainberg, York,

NV: Boulder City, Carson City, Dayton, Elko, Fallon, Gardnerville, Incline Village, Las Vegas, Mesquite, Parump, Reno, Tonopah, Winnemucca

Run, Ron, Run!

Operation Cat Herder

Jeremy
05-16-2011, 12:18 AM
There's no better platform that I know of.

C4L can't speak Ron Paul's name, and their website sucks, frankly. Meetup.com is the recruitment and communication tool to bring folks into the wider fold. I think a lot of people read about Ron Paul and the success of meetups, and go looking there for local organization.

I can't speak for which is better, but a lot of people here said they were going to use Facebook instead of Meetup.

gerryb
05-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Tangent,
Is there a way to see where those 40,000 orphaned/interested supporters are located?

gerryb
05-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I can't speak for which is better, but a lot of people here said they were going to use Facebook instead of Meetup.

There's no way for people to communicate with each other with the facebook groups, as far as I know. Meetup has the e-mail lists that go out to everyone who hasn't opted out, and anyone can start a new meeting.

tangent4ronpaul
05-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Tangent,
Is there a way to see where those 40,000 orphaned/interested supporters are located?

If you scroll down to the bottom of http://ronpaul.meetup.com they list the top 20 or so cities where people are looking for a ron paul Meetup - that means their Meetup went away. If you start one within 50 miles of them, Meetup e-mails them and tells them about it.

I also have a spreadsheet of where all the Meetups used to be, subtract the ~622 currently active ones and that's a map - it's also a hell of a lot of work, as there were over 2,000 at our peak and each one needs to be looked up individually.

There is a third way with the adopt a Meetup lists - still a ton of work.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
05-16-2011, 04:01 AM
blimp!

gerryb
05-16-2011, 10:23 PM
The list is not completely accurate.. Tucson is at the top and had a Ron Paul group created on May 7th.

I renamed my new tucson group to another county in Maryland..

I decided to switch up the keywords used..

What do you think of these? It should show up more often in search results due to the broader appeal. Looking for suggestions to replace Repub and Democratic parties with.

Also looking for more details to add in as a short blurb that has wide appeal for: Debt, social security, health freedom, immigration, etc. Any ideas?

Ron Paul Campaigns, United States Constitution, Tea Party, Campaign for Liberty, Homeschool, Alternative Health, Self Empowerment & Exploration, Personal Growth, Spirituality, Self-Improvement, Freedom, Libertarian, Liberty, Republican Party, Democratic Party

tangent4ronpaul
05-22-2011, 02:30 PM
bump!

smartguy911
05-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Why not use Bigtent - http://www.bigtent.com/

It's free

gerryb
05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Doesn't look like they have a user base. We are trying to recapture the members we had on meetup.com in 2008, and also be available to the hundreds of thousands of folks already on meetup.com that have an interest in similar topics (such as the tea party, organic farmign groups, traditional food groups, alternative medicine, etc. etc.)

IDefendThePlatform
05-22-2011, 04:45 PM
That's a good idea with those keywords. Ive got all the typical ones right now but I'm going to change it to more of those to try to reach more people.

tangent4ronpaul
05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
blimpers!

Meetup: coupon code "newyear2011" will give 50% off the monthly dues

Start a Meetup TODAY!