PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should create a grassroots TV Ad contest.

danda
10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
So, like many others, the new TV Ad left me feeling flat - uninspired. If I saw that ad for any other politician, it would not stick out, except maybe to think the guy has no chance given the low quality production. I understand about the target demographic and the other justifications people have made, and it all still leaves me feeling -- flat.

The truth is, we have an exceptional candidate, we need exceptional marketing. Clever marketing that makes one chuckle, or that evokes an emotional response. Think Different.

I shudder to think how much of our donated money was spent on the production, when they could have gotten FREE production, given all the talent in this community.

So my first thought was -- why doesn't the official campaign hold a video production contest for the next advertising campaign. Have some simple guidelines:

* must be 30 seconds
* Must fit a certain theme, or evoke a certain emotional response.
* Must target a certain demographic.
* Must be TV ready ( not youtube size )

I bet that lots of the existing YouTube videos could be adapted to these sorts of criteria. Some of them are already quite clever and evoke a response.

Then, all the donors vote, and the Ad choice is made.

Or maybe just the campaign decides the winner, though I'm a bit afraid of that outcome, given this Ad...

Anyway, grant the winner a free dinner with Ron Paul, and there you have it, free ad production.

--------------- BUT WHY WAIT FOR THE CAMPAIGN TO DO IT? ---------------

What if we created our own contest? We cannot guarantee the official campaign would run the ad, but we could do all the rest of it.

Basically, we define a set of criteria and setup a website that allows people to view and vote on contest vids ( hosted on YouTube ). Suppose we setup a 2 week cutoff for entries, and 1 week for voting. That means we could have our ad in 3 weeks.

Then we submit the winning ad(s) to the campaign as a present, and with a large petition asking that they run it (or them).

we could even hold the contest right here in a sub-forum if no one has the time to setup a website.

So what do you think? crazy idea, or does it have merit?

DrNoZone
10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
This idea is awesome! This is exactly where those who are capable should be channeling their pent up energy about that crappy ad!

Geronimo
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Hopefully, someone in the campaign picks up on this idea.

slantedview
10-27-2007, 05:35 PM
A contest is good, and I think a contest for a Ron Paul ad would turn out a lot better than a contest held by another candidate whose supporters are older, disengaged, corporate, etc.

Channing
10-27-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree we need to do something like this instead of just complaining.

danda
10-27-2007, 06:46 PM
It sounds like there is some interest. Anyone wanna throw out some criteria for the first Ad? I'll start:

Length: 27 seconds. ( leaves 3 seconds for the "I'm Ron Paul and I support this ad" )

Goal: Name Recognition and exposure to Ron Paul's record.

Format: Must be uploaded to YouTube, and also have NTSC broadcast quality files available online. ( .AVI or .MPEG )

Target Demographic: 50+ crowd, or anyone that receives their news from the MSM and doesn't go online much. Ron Paul newbies.

--------

How's that so far?

rs3515
10-27-2007, 07:07 PM
The goal should also be to show he is an honest, genuine person, someone that older people can trust. However this can't be done just by telling people he is. It needs to be demonstrated.

The target demographic is more than just 50+ crowd, it's specifically a 50+ crowd in NH, and even further than that a 50+ crowd in suburban and more rural areas. This is really where market segmentation comes into play.

Anyone considering targeting particular parts of the country need to look at the ZIP Lookup Tool on this website: http://www.esri.com/data/community_data/community-tapestry/index.html

Also here's the link for Claritas, which is considered the leader in market segmentation data:
http://www.claritas.com/MyBestSegments/Default.jsp?ID=20&SubID=&pageName=ZIP%2BCode%2BLook-up

Someone who is 50+ in rural NH has a very different outlook on life than 50+ in Westchester.

joshdvm
10-27-2007, 07:10 PM
This is a brilliant idea. Instead of flooding the campaign with "that ad sucks--pull it" emails, just take the initiative and present them with something better. I agree, this thread should be a sub-forum.

centure7
10-27-2007, 07:11 PM
So what do you think? crazy idea, or does it have merit?

It has merit only if you are going to be the one to organize it. I've posted good ideas but really unless you take charge yourself the idea is not likely to happen.

"Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration"
- Thomas Edison

rs3515
10-27-2007, 07:12 PM
------

TruckinMike
10-27-2007, 07:15 PM
YES!!! thats the spirit!

If you want it done right do it yourself! In our case... us!

Truckinmike

chipvogel
10-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Good idea ...It would probably bring some free press and get replayed on the news

Daveforliberty
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
The interesting thing is the contest itself would be newsworthy. The buzz would cause curious voters to check out the competition. Imagine undecideds going online and looking at all the finalists!

Vaughn
10-27-2007, 08:27 PM
I agree we need to do something like this instead of just complaining.

Agreed, the only thing complaining does is weaken us. It is time we go to work.

Nate K
10-27-2007, 08:42 PM
this is a good idea, what i'm talking about. keep the ideas rolling and GET THIS OUT TO THE RON PAUL CAMP. let them know WE'RE working on it.

also i wouldn't make this as much as a competition as it should be 'constructive competition' we should still be helping each other with advice, etc.

this could turn things around for us

danda
10-27-2007, 08:58 PM
You make a good point centure. If it is to be, someone has got to pick up the ball and run with it.

And normally I do run with things, rather than just posting ideas. Examples: ronpaulrally.org, ronpaulplanet.org, philly.ronpaulrally.org, and one or two other projects that died on the vine.

However, right now I am stretched pretty thin -- running 2 businesses, and starting a third. Plus my Ron Paul activities.

So I figured I would throw this idea out there. If it is a genuinely good idea, then it should generate lots of comments and enthusiasm. If not, then maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.

So I'll make this pledge: If we get lots of people contributing to this thread, and it seems there is real momentum and enthusiasm for the idea, to the point that it becomes either stickied or turned into a sub-forum, then I will put up a website to promote/organize the contest.

But if someone else reads this and would like to organize it, go right ahead!!! Honestly, someone with more time would be able to do more promotion than I.

It has merit only if you are going to be the one to organize it. I've posted good ideas but really unless you take charge yourself the idea is not likely to happen.

"Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration"
- Thomas Edison

joshdvm
10-27-2007, 08:58 PM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/fox-says-all-candidates-to-stop-using-images-from-news-channel/

Heads up: From this, it looks like it is not permissible to use clips from debate appearances (Fox's, at any rate ).

Van Damme
10-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Also, no copyrighted images or audio so that the ad can actually be used by the campaign if they want it. There is no sense in having an ad contest if the campaign can't actually use the ad if they wish. ;)

Nathan Hale
10-27-2007, 09:27 PM
One other fuzzy qualifier:

The campaign ad should be an actual campaign ad. Youtube style videos (e.g. 30 seconds of some guy in a V mask in his dorm room) are a waste of time and will serve only to clutter the field. The ad should be of professional quality, so that a common person would see it and recognize it for what it is.