PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul gives 2012 GOP field a libertarian streak

bobbyw24
05-15-2011, 05:32 AM
By David Lightman | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who's attracted a lot of interest and some support from young people and tea party conservatives, formally announced his bid Friday for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.

Paul, 75, is far behind in polls in crucial early primary and caucus states. And his 2008 presidential effort fell far short. But his often unorthodox libertarian views have gained him respect in some circles.

Thanks to an energetic effort by his young supporters, Paul beat a field of better-known Republicans at February's American Conservative Union convention with 30 percent of the vote. And he reported raising more than $1 million on May 5, the day of the first Republican candidates' debate, in South Carolina.

"He speaks the right language to a particular demographic — young people who are fiscally conservative but have socially libertarian views," said Wayne Lesperance, professor of political science at New England College in Henniker, N.H.

Read more:

http://rp12.us/aIUiM

Churchill2004
05-15-2011, 05:38 AM
What's with this "far behind in polls" stuff? I sense a lot of people are just repeating it as common wisdom without checking the polls. Without Huckabee, Palin, or Trump in, Paul is consistently at 10-15% and firmly in the top tier if not second place. In the more inclusive polls he still regularly pulls at least 7-10%.

We never really topped 5% in 2008, and were stuck at 2-3% for almost all of the race.

I have seen more references to RP as a "top tier" candidate in some coverage, though. I don't expect the "he's nowhere in the polls" talk to last very long this time. :)