PDA

View Full Version : Think Progress: Ron Paul Suggests We’d Be ‘Better Off’ Without The 1964 Civil Rights Act

FrankRep
05-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Ron Paul Suggests We’d Be ‘Better Off’ Without The Civil Rights Act (Ron Paul Suggests We’d Be ‘Better Off’ Without The Civil Rights Act)

Think Progress
May 14th, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQc5gcAGLQ

MATTHEWS: You would have voted against that law. You wouldn’t have voted for the ’64 civil rights bill.

PAUL: Yes, but not in — I wouldn’t vote against getting rid of the Jim Crow laws.

MATTHEWS: But you would have voted for the — you know you — oh, come on. Honestly, Congressman, you were not for the ’64 civil rights bill.

PAUL: Because — because of the property rights element, not because it got rid of the Jim Crow law.

MATTHEWS: Right. The guy who owns a bar says, no blacks allowed, you say that’s fine. … This was a local shop saying no blacks allowed. You say that should be legal?

PAUL: That’s — that’s ancient history. That’s ancient history. That’s over and done with. [...]

MATTHEWS: Let me ask you this. We have had a long history of government involvement with Medicare, Social Security, the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. And I think you are saying we would have been better off without all that?

PAUL: I think we would be better off if we had freedom, and not government control of our lives, our personal lives, and our — and policing the world.