PDA

View Full Version : Ames, Iowa rally Friday

alicegardener
10-27-2007, 03:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got home from the Ames rally yesterday (Friday Oct. 26). They had planned for 300 and got 650, this according to one of the organizers. They had to move to a larger room and people were still standing up in back.

Ron Paul elaborated on his plans to stop the war on drugs which he compared to the failed war on alcohol, Prohibition, which at least had had the saving grace of having been done according to the constitution. This "war" current on drugs is being waged disproportionately against the lower classes, is failing, and is costing us money we don't have.

He also mentioned opening up travel to Cuba for Americans as part of his new foreign policy of trying to be friends with and trading with all nations.

The loudest applause from this mostly student audience, came when Dr. Paul stressed we must not go to war with Iran.

The talk lasted about an hour and a quarter. Dr. Paul looked healthy and fresh in spite of his heavy schedule and did not need to use any notes during his speech.

Some of the supporters who came to the rally, while standing around getting ready, were descended upon by campus authorities who got uptight that Ron Paul signs were visible outside of officially sanctioned "free speech zones" on this public college campus. When the people took a bit too long to get on their way to the rally site, they were treated to another visit by the campus cops. An internet news show from Pittsburg interviewed these folks there in the parking lot. MSNBC and Reason Magazine had people at the meeting room.

What rally would be complete without "characters"? We saw the familiar Patriot with a tri-corner hat and an antiqued American flag. More strangely, a guy dressed up as a snowman mixed with the students, apparently protesting global warming, though, with all the Halloween costumes floating around campus that evening, who can be sure.

Ron Paul signed autographs and posed for photos after his talk, until we were rushed out to free the room for the next scheduled campus group.

mavtek
10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Nice

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the first hand report! I watched it on http://justin.tv/ronpaul looked like a very large and diverse crowd!

reaver
10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Thats great! Glad to hear we still double the expectations.

kaleidoscope eyes
10-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey good report. I was just wondering how the Good Dr. was holding up under all this running around, glad to hear he's hearty and hale!:D

alicegardener
10-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeh, I talked with people there from Minnesota, Kansas, Wisconsin and there were probably folkds from other states as well. I saw one car with a Washington state license plate with a Ron Paul bumper sticker.