PDA

View Full Version : my second time watching it...

DjLoTi
10-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Looking at it for a second time, I've got to change my opinion on the ad.

it runs pretty smooth. At the end, it gives some excitement. I like the last blurb, "he's catchin on". People have to remember, that unlike the internet, this TV ad is going to play randomly. People on the internet can go directly to w/e they want to see, so they expect "awe" and "amazement".

That's why the TV sucks and the internet is taking over as far as information. We are approaching a new age of information, the internet age. It's barely been born, much like most of my generation as far as the whole spectrum of life is concerned.

Imagine yourself as 50,60, and never going online. Watch the commercial again. And lighten the hell up!!!!!!! If you're a producer, THEN give us your professional opinion, otherwise shut the hell up!!!

That's all by DjLoTi :)

dspectre
10-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Looking at it for a second time, I've got to change my opinion on the ad.

it runs pretty smooth. At the end, it gives some excitement. I like the last blurb, "he's catchin on". People have to remember, that unlike the internet, this TV ad is going to play randomly. People on the internet can go directly to w/e they want to see, so they expect "awe" and "amazement".

That's why the TV sucks and the internet is taking over as far as information. We are approaching a new age of information, the internet age. It's barely been born, much like most of my generation as far as the whole spectrum of life is concerned.

Imagine yourself as 50,60, and never going online. Watch the commercial again. And lighten the hell up!!!!!!! If you're a producer, THEN give us your professional opinion, otherwise shut the hell up!!!

That's all by DjLoTi :)

Nicely stated.

JenHarris
10-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Ditto

walt
10-27-2007, 03:26 PM
don't start a new thread

alien
10-27-2007, 03:30 PM
I haven't seen the ad. Is it online anywhere?

0zzy
10-27-2007, 03:30 PM
don't start a new thread

Cause people will read what he said on page 23? :P

I agree with him. I watched it like 20 more times though. I HATED it at first, but then I watched it and realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. It got some good points across, it got quality production, the only bad part is the script really - supporters don't need it, they should have just let them talk regularly about him.

But just because this ad isn't amazing doesn't mean it isn't effective.

A lot of older people will watch and like it, some soccer moms too. It is a fact that older people have a harder time telling whether people are lying/are sarcastic/acting, so I don't think it's as bad as we think it is. But again, could have been better.

Nefertiti
10-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I agree 100%. Think about tv ads. Think about how he might be sandwiched between a bankruptcy lawyer and a Just for Men hair ad. We aren't talking about the Superbowl. People may not even be paying close attention to the ad because they didn't go to choose to click on it and watch it but instead it came up in the middle of a program they were watching. They will get a good feeling from it. Smiling people talking about why they like Ron Paul. And the first line is a good hook. It isn't how you expect an ad to start off in SUPPORT of a candidate so it makes you pay attention for the rest of the ad.

bbachtung
10-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I am loving the ad -- the people that think it is cheesy will remember it and those who like it will remember RP's name for the ad that will run the following week.

jkaufmann
10-27-2007, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hksil-KkebQ

For anyone who wants to see it again.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Totally agree. There are more positive reactions now than a few hours ago. It's starting to catch on, I'm telling ya!

Mortikhi
10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
That ad

is sad

Man from La Mancha
10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Ditto with DJ and one wants 1985 music or before as someone on the other thread criticized was bad. If music doesn't bang one in the head with a hammer many young just can't under stand it.

jaumen
10-27-2007, 03:53 PM
The ad is awful. I don't have to watch it 100 times to see if my opinion will change, this is subpar from what I would expect out of someone in a college tv production class, working with other college students who were majoring in acting.

Every person who speaks SOUNDS scripted, and if someone sounds scripted, no one believes what they are saying. I didn't think the radio ads were that terrible (not great, but not terrible). I truly think this is awful. Whoever made it should never be hired to produce another ad again. It really is THAT bad.

LibertyEagle
10-27-2007, 03:54 PM
It is a fact that older people have a harder time telling whether people are lying/are sarcastic/acting, so I don't think it's as bad as we think it is.

How funny. Kids always have a tendency to believe that they are all knowing and for sure know much more than their parents. It's amazing how that opinion changes when you grow up and realize you don't know near as much as you thought you did when you were a teenager. :)

Van Damme
10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
The ad is awful. I don't have to watch it 100 times to see if my opinion will change, this is subpar from what I would expect out of someone in a college tv production class, working with other college students who were majoring in acting.

Every person who speaks SOUNDS scripted, and if someone sounds scripted, no one believes what they are saying. I didn't think the radio ads were that terrible (not great, but not terrible). I truly think this is awful. Whoever made it should never be hired to produce another ad again. It really is THAT bad.

I agree 100%. There are hundreds of clips out there that are genuine, why not use them?

This ad would be sooo much better if the campaign spent a day with a video camera and interviewed people in the NH meetup groups. Then they could take the bits that they like, put them together and add some music.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:58 PM

They are REAL supporters. That is what matters.

Ad is great.

specsaregood
10-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I liked it, it made me laugh.

Thoughts:
1. With other candidates running lots of "slick" ads, this one will stick out and people will remember it.
2. Most people DONT agree with Ron Paul 100%, but the point is that he is truthful. We have to battle the "crazy" smear and this works.
3. They are targetting a diferent demographic than the existing supporters.
4. These ads have worked in the past for him, might as well go with what he knows.

Alabama Supporter
10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
This ad will work for now. At least its better than the Iowa ads. At least this one had a catchy line...He's catchin on....I'm tellin ya"

Delivered4000
10-27-2007, 04:06 PM
People, people, remember the keywords here: TARGET AUDIENCE

0zzy
10-27-2007, 04:07 PM
How funny. Kids always have a tendency to believe that they are all knowing and for sure know much more than their parents. It's amazing how that opinion changes when you grow up and realize you don't know near as much as you thought you did when you were a teenager. :)

I didn't mean all old people ;). But I saw a study that was posted on Digg that said older people have a harder time distinguishing the difference between sarcasm/fakery and realism.

DjLoTi
10-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm almost going to go as far as to say that people WANT scripted!

You've got to remember that this ad is going to be played many times. It's easy for people to just kind of listen to it off handedly. People will watch this ad and be like "hmm... never heard of this guy before". It seems like a good lead into the later ads, which I will assume will be more in-depth.

From the looks of this thread, more people like it then dislike it. Either way, THIS IS THE AD! lol. We don't have much time, so we've got to keep pushing and keep fighting... becoming the president isn't like becoming prom queen!

dspectre
10-27-2007, 04:18 PM
What is it with People on the Internet??

They think that a TV ad is suppose to be some compelling argument or reveal some great truth.

Well, I know people who watch TV, and when they do they aren't even watching it. They are just zoning out.

If there was this compelling argument, they might get bored. The ad is memorable and gets to the point.

If a person is looking for some good factual information on a candidate, well, they probably wouldn't be looking on TV, they would be on the internet. Get my point?

joenaab
10-27-2007, 04:18 PM

Not cool. Don't tell people to shut up when they've busted their balls all year supporting this campaign and want to express their concerns over the quality of this commercial. Since when does one have to be a producer to know what makes a good commercial?

Meatwasp
10-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I think I found myself running with the little yappers and after looking at it again I do like it.

Vaughn
10-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Yea after watching it a couple times I have to agree that it really isn't all that bad. I like how they mentioned his opposition to the war. Someone from NH said it would play well over there, and i would probably agree with them.

PMatt
10-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I think most of us felt the same way after the initial "WTF" feeling. And this is just one of 5 ads, correct?

DjLoTi
10-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Not cool. Don't tell people to shut up when they've busted their balls all year supporting this campaign and want to express their concerns over the quality of this commercial. Since when does one have to be a producer to know what makes a good commercial?

Plz don't take my statement 100% literal. Everyone is going crazy about it so i was just trying to put things into perspective. I was aiming for a more critical discussion then "it sucks" or "I've could watch it 199999999 times and it'll still suck"..

idk i'm sorry!!!!!!@

TexMac
10-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm almost going to go as far as to say that people WANT scripted!

You've got to remember that this ad is going to be played many times. It's easy for people to just kind of listen to it off handedly. People will watch this ad and be like "hmm... never heard of this guy before". It seems like a good lead into the later ads, which I will assume will be more in-depth.

From the looks of this thread, more people like it then dislike it. Either way, THIS IS THE AD! lol. We don't have much time, so we've got to keep pushing and keep fighting... becoming the president isn't like becoming prom queen!
I think it's sort of charming. I have no doubt they focus-grouped it to their target.

DjLoTi
10-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I think most of us felt the same way after the initial "WTF" feeling. And this is just one of 5 ads, correct?

yes

Mortikhi
10-27-2007, 04:52 PM
If the target audience for this ad is mouth-breathers, then it is a stupendous ad.

me3
10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Everytime I read the comments like this, I wonder. Who are these people in the target audience? :D

pcosmar
10-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Everytime I read the comments like this, I wonder. Who are these people in the target audience? :D

They are all the people that are not here.

freelance
10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Well, it's certainly not my taste, but every single time the naysayers scream the loudest and we all think that all is lost, the RP campaign proves that they DO know what they're doing.

Again, it's certainly not my taste, but it goes a long way toward dispelling the flamboyant, loony and kooky labels, if not the "certifiably insane" label. RP is crazy like a fox, and in the end, this commercial may just prove that.

What do you guys propose? Running something like, "Remember, remember, the 5th of November?"

For those of you criticizing, "I don't agree with everything Ron Paul says..." think about this: Do YOU agree with all of his positions? That lines gives people PERMISSION to disagree on this or that position. I sure as hell don't agree with every single one of his positions and I never have. I don't need a little media push to give myself permission to back someone with whom I do not agree 100%, but some people need that little push. This commercial tells them that it's okay...see others like him too...he's catching on. Not only that, but it's probably important for the audience to find one person in the commercial with whom they can identify, and the commercial shows a variety of people.

Just my 2˘. Is the commercial MY cup of tea? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS, but RP doesn't need to win me over.

joshdvm
10-27-2007, 06:48 PM
To everyone who insists that supporters can come up with a better ad, I refer to the "Operation Iowa Drop" DVD (sorry if I got the name wrong). I recall a practically unanimous consensus that this was a great and effective DVD. But a gavel pounding out the words “the revolution has begun” and RP raising his hand to Colbert’s “eliminate the IRS”?—I didn’t speak up at the time, but, sorry, there’s NO WAY I was going to email this to the nervous SOCCER MOMS and OLDER folks I talked to who gave me permission to send them more info on him.

Now, I’m sure supporters could come up with a better ad, but it would have to be specifically geared to the demographic that this ad, I believe, is trying to reach.

A final note—I know nothing about marketing, and I’m not saying this ad succeeds along these lines, but I believe the cheesy and low budget approach can be the most effective and shouldn’t be automatically ruled out. Witness those f****ng ANNOYING Geico gekko and caveman ads—and those irritating Safe Auto ads.