PDA

View Full Version : There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.

Dave Aiello
05-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Edit:

-- Never mind. I was instructed that I should not to offer any ideas here any longer. --

tangent4ronpaul
05-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Would mean a lot more to us if you were not lying all the way through this thing!

Dave Aiello
05-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Would mean a lot more to us if you were not lying all the way through this thing!

no need for this. you know, we get disgusted when people take blind and unsubstantiated shots at Ron, yet, you feel the need to do the same to me. i ask that you treat me as you'd like to be treated.

roho76
05-14-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't look at the grassroots as a curse but more like a tireless minority.

MelissaCato
05-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Luckily, it seems efforts may not have been in vain.

I spoke with someone, who "may or may not" have been from the official campaign, and got some advice and direction to pass on to the grassroots. It seems as though the campaign's general sentiment is that the grassroots, especially when doing "what they do", ie. getting together in large numbers to sign waive, canvass without direction, etc., do more harm than good.

Unbelievable.

Sooo what now, only students are allowed to be involved with the 2012 official campaign ?

Nate-ForLiberty
05-14-2011, 05:31 AM
subbed, so I can witness Dave's glorious exit. Sorry dude, but you just brought it down on yourself.

ronpaulitician
05-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Probably best to just leave the "may have been" out of the discussion entirely and let the idea stand on its own merit.

Locating the out-of-state students who will be able to participate in the Ames straw poll definitely seems like a no-brainer. How to go about ensuring the actually go vote is another matter. A chip-in plan seems like a good idea, especially since they would be able to purchase tickets from the official campaign for just $10. How to prevent abuse though? Seems like a daunting, likely impossible task. But (1) can be done even if (2) and (3) are not.

pacelli
05-14-2011, 11:12 AM
If the official campaign is truly counting on winning the vote by relying on charity funding for college students, then this will be a short campaign.

We learned in 07-08 that college students do not GET OUT THE VOTE in the numbers that occur in the senior community. And in 07-08, the senior community gave us the lowest percentage of the votes. If they intend on doing the same thing as in 07-08 and expecting different results, then they are insane.

Tell your friend to get the campaign to focus on courting the senior vote.

acptulsa
05-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi. I've changed my username to my own name because there's no limit to what we can achieve if we don't worry about self-promotion and just do the job, I want to insult you all without making it seem I've insulted you, so I'm going to quote someone who may or may not have been with the official campaign insulting you, and then I'm going to try again to sell my website on an existing website in hopes you'll help me compete with it.

Oh, joy.

trey4sports
05-14-2011, 11:25 AM
If the official campaign is truly counting on winning the vote by relying on charity funding for college students, then this will be a short campaign.

We learned in 07-08 that college students do not GET OUT THE VOTE in the numbers that occur in the senior community. And in 07-08, the senior community gave us the lowest percentage of the votes. If they intend on doing the same thing as in 07-08 and expecting different results, then they are insane.

Tell your friend to get the campaign to focus on courting the senior vote.

that's not the point......

What was suggested is try to fund college students that go to school in iowa but live in your state. The campaign can take care of local Iowans. They need our help with the out of town college kids

schiffheadbaby
05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi. I've changed my username to my own name because there's no limit to what we can achieve if we don't worry about self-promotion and just do the job, I want to insult you all without making it seem I've insulted you, so I'm going to quote someone who may or may not have been with the official campaign insulting you, and then I'm going to try again to sell my website on an existing website in hopes you'll help me compete with it.

Oh, joy.

+1 maple leaf

rp08orbust
05-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Unbelievable.

Sooo what now, only students are allowed to be involved with the 2012 official campaign ?

No, but only people with Iowa IDs can vote in the straw poll. The ideas in the OP apply to any Iowan who is temporarily out of state in August, but most of such people will be students.

MelissaCato
05-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Ya +1 for acptulsa.

AlexMerced
05-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I agree with the OP, and do think the grassroots needs to change it's tactics

2008 - we were fighting a battle of awareness, so signs and such make sense (and yes, I'm aware plenty of people who don't know who Ron Paul is, but as far as the active primary voting population I think are awareness is pretty damn good)

2011 - We are fighting a battle of perception, like it or not the battle is about not whether people know we exist, but how they view us. I watch online communication very carefully and I do see a lot of "I like Ron Paul but... he's old ...he's not viable ... I can't stand his supporters" if you don't believe download tweet deck and setup a Ron Paul column (I have one for each candidate, the other "major" candidates get a lot of shit too, but their perception of Viable seems to make up for it (anger))

SO what should we be doing:

- Getting people to understand what Pauls positions actually are, not by trying to half-ass explain his views while mixing our own views which we are ALL guilty off including myself. We should be getting his book, Liberty Defined in the hands of as many primary voters as possible.

- Doing community outreach and making sure the media knows this outrach is by Paul supporters, (for example my CharityForLiberty.com project for June 18th)

- Organizing names, phone #s and emails of Iowans for the Ames Straw poll and if you can't help in Iowa begin doing so for your own precinct.

Bottom Line: The Battle is no longer awareness (that's gary johnsons problem now, lol), our problem is perception and that's what we should focus on.

FriedChicken
05-14-2011, 11:49 AM
We should be getting his book, Liberty Defined in the hands of as many primary voters as possible.

I use to believe this completely and even bought a box of 30 books to pass out to friends and family. After further examining the book and feeling out the general mood of primary voters I think that Revolution: a manifesto is quite a bit better of a book than Liberty Defined [only in regards to being a campaign tool.]

Liberty Definied puts a bit too much information too fast on the average person who hasn't already been "broken in" to the idea of liberty and Revolution, I think, seems more personal.

Just my $0.02 -- don't want to derail the topic.
Thats the only thing I disagreed with in your post.

AlexMerced
05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I use to believe this completely and even bought a box of 30 books to pass out to friends and family. After further examining the book and feeling out the general mood of primary voters I think that Revolution: a manifesto is quite a bit better of a book than Liberty Defined [only in regards to being a campaign tool.]

Liberty Definied puts a bit too much information too fast on the average person who hasn't already been "broken in" to the idea of liberty and Revolution, I think, seems more personal.

Just my $0.02 -- don't want to derail the topic.
Thats the only thing I disagreed with in your post.

Either book is fine, my point is just that they should read Ron Paul positions from his words, he should probably come out with a small pocket book with his posotions or only a couple of chapters from liberty defined and revolution to introduce people to him.

Roxi
05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
oh good lord

That is what THIS thread is about that I posted yesterday !!!!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?292763-How-to-help-if-you-don-t-live-in-Iowa

somehow though, not getting as much feedback.

Dave Aiello
05-14-2011, 03:42 PM
oh good lord

That is what THIS thread is about that I posted yesterday !!!!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?292763-How-to-help-if-you-don-t-live-in-Iowa

somehow though, not getting as much feedback.

Did you talk to steve too? lol

Anti Federalist
05-14-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm missing some sub surface drama here to make an effective comment.

That said, it's not "waive" as in forfeiting an agreement or right but "wave" as in to move back and forth rapidly.

AndrewD
05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
@Dave Aiello

Listen bro. Don't slither in like a snake and try and be all humble and transparent. You were spitting venom too.

Now you have some "may or may not be" campaigner you apparently know, and your passing along a very significant piece of information. What your advising through this friend or pal of yours is a big deal. You expect the entire grassroots to take your word for this; as if your the official liason between grassrooters and the campaign?

Guitarzan
05-14-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm missing the sub surface drama here too.

But if it turns out that 'Dave Aiello' is a troll...my troll spotting instincts will be proven correct.

schiffheadbaby
05-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Dave Aiello is trying to promote his products and brands on RPF. It wouldn't surprise me if Dave also posted on Obama/Bush/Huckabee forums to try to get more hits for his sites

JoshLowry
05-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm missing some sub surface drama here to make an effective comment.

The title of this thread is a shot at me for putting the brakes on the promotion of Dave's PAC and RPN portal on this website.

I've said it before, but it doesn't have anything to do with stealing thunder.

Quick summary:

1. Spin. Craig was spinning what the campaign news was with his update. Often you guys would say that there is no PAC yet! However, you guys had already privately selected board members.

2. Total lack of transparency. You guys were not public with who was going to be on the PAC. I was not allowed to know one of the names. The other four names I got were not offered up to the people that you were pitching your sales to. I was even told to not share those names. That's bullshit.

3. Slick. You pretend to be a great guy on the phone, but even after our conversation, you are taking snipes at my character with this thread. You insult the forums while using them. There are posts of yours where you make snide jeers about this place. I'm sure Steve thinks your a great guy. You are two faced.

4. Marketer. Your username was RonPaulNation.org. Your interests in posting here were clear from the get go, but I went ahead and approved the account to see how you'd fair. Once up, RPN had it's very own forum section, and there were zero links back to RPF. Surprise.

5. Green. Last and also least. This is the smallest red flag. You are new to this place. Craig is new. The four on your PAC board know about this place but do not embrace it. RPF was nothing but a springboard for you to get out in front of the grassroots. I do not believe you are some sweet college aged kid that wants to help Ron Paul.

Because of all of the above, I asked you on the phone not to take any kind of organizational or leading role on RPF.

After seeing this thread, it would be best if you went somewhere else for your grassroots activism. You obviously want to lead, but I won't allow you to here.

If this forum is going to have a PAC promoted for them to embrace, they will know about all the details.

There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.It's got nothing to do with credit. It's about trust. That's how relationships work.

I'm in communication with Chris Rye who did the ForLiberty film. He already has a pac set up. Will appeal for volunteers soon.

/drama

AndrewD
05-14-2011, 04:21 PM
After seeing this thread, it would be best if you went somewhere else for your grassroots activism. You obviously want to lead, but I won't allow you to here.

SOLD to the highest bidder!

libertygrl
05-14-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree with the OP, and do think the grassroots needs to change it's tactics

2008 - we were fighting a battle of awareness, so signs and such make sense (and yes, I'm aware plenty of people who don't know who Ron Paul is, but as far as the active primary voting population I think are awareness is pretty damn good)

2011 - We are fighting a battle of perception, like it or not the battle is about not whether people know we exist, but how they view us. I watch online communication very carefully and I do see a lot of "I like Ron Paul but... he's old ...he's not viable ... I can't stand his supporters" if you don't believe download tweet deck and setup a Ron Paul column (I have one for each candidate, the other "major" candidates get a lot of shit too, but their perception of Viable seems to make up for it (anger))

SO what should we be doing:

- Getting people to understand what Pauls positions actually are, not by trying to half-ass explain his views while mixing our own views which we are ALL guilty off including myself. We should be getting his book, Liberty Defined in the hands of as many primary voters as possible.

- Doing community outreach and making sure the media knows this outrach is by Paul supporters, (for example my CharityForLiberty.com project for June 18th)

- Organizing names, phone #s and emails of Iowans for the Ames Straw poll and if you can't help in Iowa begin doing so for your own precinct.

Bottom Line: The Battle is no longer awareness (that's gary johnsons problem now, lol), our problem is perception and that's what we should focus on.

I couldn't agree more with your points. But there are other concerns that I have.

In '07 - '08, we HAD to be our own media and that's why there was such an amazing display of creativity within the movement. We were very passionate (and continue to be) but we also have to realize that Ron Paul is more dangerous now to the establishment than ever before. He's had more face time in the media and with the continuing economic problems facing the country, many have come to realize that he was right all along. He undoubtedly has more supporters now. Keeping that in mind, I expect to see an even greater level of mud slinging in the media and dirty tricks within local GOP groups that want to maintain the status quo. Back in '08 many of us were novices in the political arena. We experienced first hand some of the shenanigans that went on within our local precincts.

I posted something earlier about information passed onto me by a fellow activist, but I don't think many people saw it. People need to become Committeemen in their local areas. OUR FUTURE IS LARGELY DETERMINED BY PARTY LEADERS AT THE COUNTY LEVEL! This is about taking control away from those who put power and party above principles and the constitution. In order for Ron Paul and other liberty minded candidates to succeed, we must do this. We can no longer afford to play defense anymore. We have some experience now and it's time we go on the offensive.

Check out the brief video. This guy is a long time experienced campaign activist going back to Nixon's campaign. He explains some of the political secrets that local party leaders intentionally keep from us so that they can maintain their power.

Through the committeeman process we can Take Back the Republic by taking back control of our government

What do Committeemen Do?
We Interview & select our:
US Representatives
State Representatives
County Representatives
Town Representatives
Judges & Sheriffs
We can count the votes
We make the party rules
We influence laws
We choose the delegates
We choose the party leaders [The elites conduit for corruption]