PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Discussed on PBS NewsHour

acptulsa
05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
And for more than five seconds, too.

The conservative was blathering on about the legalization of prostitution and heroin, carefully avoiding the topic of the legalization of marijuana and utterly neglecting to note that Paul has lived in Texas for decades yet tt's Nevada where prostitution is legal. Both agreed that he wouldn't get the nomination, but they pretty much said that about everybody--Newt has baggage and Mitt has exceeded his flip-flop allowance--but the liberal Mark Shields spoke well of his ability to 'shape the debate'. He cited the increased antiwar sentiment in the land, and the increasing awareness of our fiscal situation. It was no surprse to me that the 'represenative of the left' was far less dismissive than the 'represenative' of the man's own party.

But, bottom line, there were several candidates who didn't get mentioned at all. Ron Paul was decidedly not one of them. He inspired as much discussion as any of them.

kah13176
05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I saw this as well. They simply want both sides discussed, and I think it was much more fair than what you usually see.

acptulsa
05-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Washington Week, after opening with bin Laden blowback (the U.S. is too big a part of the Afghan economy to pull out :rolleyes:), covered the week's announcements. Ron Paul actually got top billing over Gingrich! But, Romney's clip was shown first, and he was discussed first, even though he has announced nothing. Except, of course, his latest flip flop.

Then they use Romney as an inexplicable seguay to Gingrich, ensuring he gets discussed before Paul.

And then they said basically nothing about Ron Paul at all. Mentioned his name exactly once more, and said nothing whatsoever about the substance of his positions. Indeed, they spent more time talking about how Obama can pull his chestnuts out of the fire than the whole Republican field combined.

Useless.

jct74
05-15-2011, 01:30 PM
The conservative guy on the panel was actually Michael Gerson, the guy who wrote the scathing piece in the Washington Post about Ron Paul wanting to legalize heroin. I dug up the video if anyone wants to watch (Ron Paul @6:50).
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/jan-june11/shieldsgerson_05-13.html

Actually more interesting to me was the pretty decent segment they had on rising inflation. They mentioned how the government has changed the methodology they use to track inflation over the years and mentioned the Federal Reserve's quantitative easing program as a possible culprit for rising inflation. They even interviewed John Williams from Shadowstats.com, but just for a few seconds (@4:37).
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june11/inflation_05-13.html

raiha
05-15-2011, 05:09 PM
But isn't it great how much coverage he is getting compared to last time around?!Go RON!!!!He seems to be more galvanized this time around and scathing of his detractors. (Well as scathing as the good doctor can get!)

acptulsa
05-15-2011, 09:07 PM
But isn't it great how much coverage he is getting compared to last time around?!

Yes ma'am, it is. And thanks for the celebration and encouragement. We are doing some good. But we're We The People, and in theory we're supposed to own this country (and particularly this network). So excuse us if we don't sit around on our Down Unders, but rather keep on top of these clowns.

raiha
05-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes ma'am, it is. And thanks for the celebration and encouragement. We are doing some good. But we're We The People, and in theory we're supposed to own this country (and particularly this network). So excuse us if we don't sit around on our Down Unders, but rather keep on top of these clowns.

Every once and a while, I have a yearning to be an American. Just so's I can lend a shoulder to the Ron Paul wheel. I'm glad you can hear my cheers from the sideline. Don't let me down.
It would be fantastic to watch a US prez without feeling the urge to change the channel in a hurry.

Aratus
08-12-2011, 09:12 PM
mark shields was in iowa today for the PBS newsHour
and he's expecting ron paul to place in the top three.

acptulsa
08-16-2011, 06:48 AM
The day after the straw poll, we get to hear more from the media-appointed 'Big Three' and the guy who dropped out. But if you were expecting to learn what Ron Paul's voice sounds like, this was not the place to do it.

This is 'Public Broadcasting' in the twenty-first century, folks. If you're a Ron Paul fan, you don't need to be donating to this corporatist shill during pledge drive time.