PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney CBS: "Mitt Romney refuses to apologize for Massachusetts health care plan"

emazur
05-13-2011, 02:05 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20062364-503544.html?tag=strip

Romney said that while pundits have been pushing him to simply admit his decision to sign the Massachusetts law was a "boneheaded" mistake, he would not do so. That's because, he said, "it wouldn't be honest."

Signing the law, Romney said, "was right for the people of my state."

Yet he argued that what was right for his state is not necessarily right for the nation. Romney grounded his argument in the founding fathers' vision for America, saying they didn't want a "king-like structure" grounded in a central government but rather for Americans to have the "freedom to choose our life's course, our enterprises."

The founders, he said, chose for American power to be grounded in the states, and codified that impulse in the 10th Amendment.

"The Obama administration," he said, citing the health care law, "fundamentally doesn't believe in that American experiment." The administration "distrusts the idea that states are where the power of government resides," he added.

But at least he makes a good point about state vs. federal power. But voters need to understand that someone willing to adopt big government "solutions" in a state government is more likely to adopt big government solutions in a federal government. Plus there's plenty of stuff we can throw back in his face. Example:

Q: "You claim to support state solutions over top-down federal government solutions. Unlike the huge mistake that was prohibition, the federal government never even bothered to pass a constitutional amendment to outlaw recreational drugs. So if elected president, would you agree to nullify all federal drug laws and leave the regulation of drugs to the states?"

A: "Goddamnit..."
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/PIPhotos03/11/Romney_200.jpg

libertybrewcity
05-13-2011, 11:23 AM
One of my friends on facebook posted this in response to Romney's comments/position about romneycare: "Honesty over politics."

I couldn't believe it.

Aldanga
05-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Romney's very smart in taking this position. It makes him look really good.

ValidusCustodiae
05-13-2011, 12:36 PM
My mom just said "Romney? Rob me?" lol

buck000
05-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't mandating the purchase of any product be Unconstitutional, regardless of whether it's at the state or Federal level, or is Romney right, that's it's a 10th Amendment thing...?

Billay
05-13-2011, 02:13 PM
No apologies!