PDA

View Full Version : CBS: "SEAL helmet cams recorded entire bin Laden raid" (5/12'11)

emazur
05-13-2011, 01:31 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/12/eveningnews/main20062410.shtml?tag=contentBody;featuredPost-PE

WASHINGTON - A new picture emerged Thursday of what really happened the night the Navy SEALs swooped in on Osama bin Laden's compound in Pakistan.

CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports the 40 minutes it took to kill bin Laden and scoop his archives into garbage bags were all recorded by tiny helmet cameras worn by each of the 25 SEALs.

Officials reviewing those videos are still reconstructing a more accurate version of what happened. We now know that the only firefight took place in the guest house, where one of bin Laden's couriers opened fire and was quickly gunned down. No one in the main building got off a shot or was even armed, although there were weapons nearby.

I bring this up b/c I was really pissed when I saw that story about the 25 minute video blackout:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8493391/Osama-bin-Laden-dead-Blackout-during-raid-on-bin-Laden-compound.html

Leon Panetta, director of the CIA, revealed there was a 25 minute blackout during which the live feed from cameras mounted on the helmets of the US special forces was cut off.

A photograph released by the White House appeared to show President Barack Obama and his aides in the situation room watching the action as it unfolded. In fact they had little knowledge of what was happening in the compound.

But notice it does say the live feed was blacked out. But apparently the whole thing was recorded according to CBS. So it's good to know that are claiming to actually possessing the entire recording - it's something that people can pressure the White House to release. But like the photos, I'm not counting on it. But if Obama can release a damn birth certificate after over 2 years of pressure (even if it is questionable), he can be pressured again (though he could work it to his advantage as an October surprise)

Kregisen
05-13-2011, 01:35 AM
WOW - I wonder if they'll ever release it???

Vessol
05-13-2011, 01:41 AM

No. It might incite the terrorists.

EndDaFed
05-13-2011, 02:54 AM
The president could wait for the right wing to build up its conspiracy theories regarding OBL and when the election is just around the corner "leak" said videos and photos. To use that card right now would be a waste. More than likely he would only do it if the polls are low. Like his policies or not, Obama is well skilled at politics.

t0rnado
05-13-2011, 03:04 AM

I killed an alien and then tossed him into the ocean. I can't upload the video to YouTube because it would enrage other aliens.

awake
05-13-2011, 04:52 AM
No. It might incite the terrorists.

It might indite the terrorists.

jmdrake
05-13-2011, 04:57 AM
It's taking them awhile to get a Hollywood producer to stage the whole think like they did Jessica Lynch properly edit the footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLORwm-j3Yo

Agorism
05-13-2011, 05:18 AM
The snuff video exists.

We need a Freedom of information act now to get it.

Agorism
05-13-2011, 05:25 AM
They don't want to the public to know it was a kill-only mission that violated rules of engagement and laws of war.

PermanentSleep
05-13-2011, 06:14 AM
I killed an alien and then tossed him into the ocean. I can't upload the video to YouTube because it would enrage other aliens.

Lol!

civusamericanus
05-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Obama proved that he's got an actual birth certificate, so why are people trying to make more accusations about the circumstances behind OBL death. The government has clearly explained what happened, and due to the graphic nature of the pictures and video, they simply can't show this to a sensitive public. I mean gosh, like our government is going to lie to us. :rolleyes:

If Ron Paul becomes president, will they let him see the video, or will it be sealed like the Kennedy files...

Freedom 4 all
05-13-2011, 06:20 AM
They don't want to the public to know it was a kill-only mission that violated rules of engagement and laws of war.

I honestly doubt the public (excluding a minority of thinking people) would care less about that. The only reason they wouldn't show it is if a) he actually died of natural causes in like 2005 or b) the DID take him alive and are now torturing him in ways that make waterboarding look like a massage.

Aratus
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
i had thought the reports about OBL's death a few years back had 50/50 odds in terms of their accuracy.
if each of the 25 SEALs had headcams running inside the blackout zone after the chopper thudded down,
then each split second can be accounted for as they sweep the rooms. i think they called things way fast
in terms of the DNA evidence and who is precisely alive inside the compound. it's like a 'spin' cycle at max.

Kregisen
06-03-2011, 01:58 PM
what ever happened to this???? So we know there were helmet cams and none ever got released? Were they just classified for military reasons?

JK/SEA
06-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Hey...everyones moved on. I suggest you do the same. What are you, some kind of troublemaker?....and besides, everyone's focused on the John Edwards story now.