PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Thoughts on New Ad?

koob
10-27-2007, 12:43 PM
New TV ad to run in New Hampshire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8

me3
10-27-2007, 12:46 PM
The acting is bad... Like obviously bad.

koob
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
The acting is bad... Like obviously bad.

lol i know. looks like something Quentin Tarantino would love.

constitutional
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
The videos on youtube are more powerful than that.

Come on, they can do a better job than that! Can we email them?

Or maybe, we already have the young supporters. We are targeting old people, they probably like this ad. It's lite.

literatim
10-27-2007, 12:57 PM
The videos on youtube are more powerful than that.

Come on, they can do a better job than that! Can we email them?

What the young supporters come up with, what you call powerful, would just scare a lot of older folks.

iloveronpaul
10-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I think it will work. It seems when I don't like things alot of people do. A spoon full of sugar for the mindless masses?

ronpaulfan
10-27-2007, 12:59 PM
dear god, what the hell was that!!!

Why didn't the campaign get our opinions before spending that much money on bad ads like that!!

bulloncoins
10-27-2007, 12:59 PM
I watched it three times. Then I remembered they are reaching out for the undecided voter, not us Ron Paul diehards.

That said, I do wish they tried harder to get more of his message accross. It really is hard to say much in 30 seconds. - No one will accuse them of being flashy or too hollywood thats for sure.

LibertyEagle
10-27-2007, 01:00 PM
dear god, what the hell was that!!!

Why didn't the campaign get our opinions before spending that much money on bad ads like that!!

They already have US. They need to go after a different demographic.

ronpaulfan
10-27-2007, 01:01 PM
All he had to do was run through his positions for 30 seconds!!

All he had to do was film his supporters expressing their genuine support for him!!

All he had to do was talk about the rallies and the insane support online!!!

WTF!!!! that was so bad!!! :confused:

koob
10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
They already have US. They need to go after a different demographic.

okay, my grandmother is 70 years old. and i know she'd find this cheesy.

A Ron Paul Rebel
10-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I tried to look at the good side but each time I watch it, I just get more sad. :(

This kind of 'advertisements' is why I quit watching TV!!!!!!!!!

IMO, this screams "I'm no different than any other politician, here's some 'good sounding fluff' and 'bad acting' to prove it."

leipo
What the young supporters come up with, what you call powerful, would just scare a lot of older folks.

Actually, young supporters could make the same video with good actors (read: genuine supporters) instead. And if it's targeting the older demographic why not include some more older people in the commercial.

freelance
I've just gotta think that this is meant to counter kooky, flamboyant, lunatic, etc. I think that it was dull by design. At least, I hope that's what they were aiming for, and I hope that they know what they're doing.

ronpaulfan
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Is it too late?? Is this ad already running?????? :(

brumans
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I believe the ad starts to air on Monday...

PMatt
10-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I tried to look at the good side but each time I watch it, I just get more sad. :(

This kind of 'advertisements' is why I quit watching TV!!!!!!!!!

IMO, this screams "I'm no different than any other politician, here's some 'good sounding fluff' and 'bad acting' to prove it."

I know what you mean.

"He wants to get us out of Iraq pronto." Come on, that's the best they could do.

ronpaulfan
I believe the ad starts to air on Monday...

*cry*

Ron Paul Fan
I thought it was good! Great acting! It appeals to who it's suppose to and OptionsTrader already proved that. This is just an intro so it was going to be light and just give the basic info. Some of you people are full of yourselves. "I could have done better. I should have been the producer. Blah blah blah." It's like people don't know that Congressman Paul has been doing this for a while. Longer than most of us have been born.

leipo
I think the campaign needs to contact some supporters who know a thing or 2 about videos/TV, like Aravoth & Adam Curry & some other people (not that New Hope guy though), and ask them for professional advise.

Paulitician
HQ should have gotten in touch with this Seattle meetup group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ua6nInZ8g

literatim
10-27-2007, 01:08 PM
People, this is New Hampshire. Much like the rest of rural New England and the Mid-West, they are very down to earth. This appeals greatly to the demographic.

leipo
10-27-2007, 01:12 PM
People, this is New Hampshire. Much like the rest of rural New England and the Mid-West, they are very down to earth. This appeals greatly to the demographic.

Yes, but "cheesy" is pretty much the opposite of "down to earth". Oh well, i don't think this commercial is the worst ever, it just could have done much better.

A Ron Paul Rebel
10-27-2007, 01:12 PM

OK, fine, keep the weak message.

...But do something about the actors!!!!!!!!!!

Drknows
10-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I watched it three times. Then I remembered they are reaching out for the undecided voter, not us Ron Paul diehards.

That said, I do wish they tried harder to get more of his message accross. It really is hard to say much in 30 seconds. - No one will accuse them of being flashy or too hollywood thats for sure.

Yeah but i wasnt a diehard Ron Paul fan until i seen his passion in the first debate against rudy.

If this was my first glimpse of Ron Paul i wouldn't vote for him.

Jimmy
10-27-2007, 01:16 PM
I cannot remember ever seeing a presidential commercial that bad......ever. JMHO.

sandersondavis
10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I trust Ron Paul and his campaign.
Ron Paul has a history of running winning campaigns.
They produced the ad. It is going to run.
It is going to be successful.

The official campaign is, by necessity, very different from the grassroots campaign.
Spend your time wisely, by working to the best of your ability on the grassroots campaign.
If you want to join and consult the official campaign then you will have to earn that position.

PS I didn't vote in this poll. None of the answers represent my POV.

Ron Paul Fan
10-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah but i wasnt a diehard Ron Paul fan until i seen his passion in the first debate against rudy.

If this was my first glimpse of Ron Paul i wouldn't vote for him.

So you'd base who you're going to vote for on one tv ad? You must be lazy and hate liberty.

Geronimo
10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Compared to the production quality of the Romney, McCain, Hillary, and Obama commercials that are already airing, here in NH, this is commercial is very poor, on all levels.

SWATH
10-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh my! I think I could make a far better commercial in my spare time for free.

Dave Wood
10-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I cannot remember ever seeing a presidential commercial that bad......ever. JMHO.

Sorry to add to the negative on this but I just had my neighbor and my wife both watch this and the response was really bad. Both ladies said it was like a really bad
local plumber commercial. Very insincere and didnt cast him in a good light. The other words used, insulting and PATHETIC.
Reminds me of George Bush saying "just trust me". Can this be stopped?

I know most of you dont want anyone to e-mail the campaign about anything because they are so overwhelmed but does anyone else out there think that this warrants the most aggressive possible contact methods to find out what in the world is going on?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed:

sandersondavis
10-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Oh my! I think I could make a far better commercial in my spare time for free.

Challenge accepted. Have it ready for air on Monday morning.

deedles
10-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm agin it. My initial reaction was "lame-O". Dr. Paul's makeup is bad, the camera angle is bad, he looks unfriendly and the people in those ads ........... the whole thing reminded me somehow of the Red Green show.

They oughta have a contest for supporters to make a 30 second commercial and pick the top 5 ... vet them for content accuracy and run 'em.

NewEnd
10-27-2007, 01:33 PM
They oughta have a contest for supporters to make a 30 second commercial and pick the top 5 ... vet them for content accuracy and run 'em.

27 seconds

with some rules:

No copyrighted songs (buh bye new hopes and stop dreaming, they aren't nearly as emotionally gripping without the music)

No quick picture flashes, or any music style from 1999 or beyond

I think the TV ad is going to do the job intended

Name recognition

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Polling internet-savvy users that are already sold on the candidate about a TV-only ad is pretty irrelevant.

At least ask, what do you think the target TV demographic in NH will think. It is what they think that is relevant.

terlinguatx
10-27-2007, 01:37 PM
You know, this ad might work. People who haevn't heard of Paul will think hey , he's just like everyother politician. This would give him MAINSTREAM credibility subconsciously with folks. Then when he comes at them with his revolutionary message, they'll be like damn, we got a mainstream guy willing to make so honest changes in this country. On the other hand, If we came at the blue-haired types who've never heard of Paul saying, "we were lied to"; "iraq is costing trillions" "eliminiate the IRS now!" the first impression might be little radical, so later down the road people buy into media lies that Paul is nuts.

With that said, I still think there needs to be MUCH better acting, filiming and scripting.

LibertyEagle
10-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I really find it curious that all these people are coming out of the woodwork saying they could do such a better job on the commercial. Ok, then why haven't you, or why don't you step up right now? Skiingff and Lord Xar were looking for people who could do this for our grassroots TV ads. I sure didn't notice a bunch of people rushing forward with the knowledge and technical skills to get this done. Did I miss something?

So, if you still feel this way, why not step up and do it right now? Depending on how well you do, it could be added to the commercials available for airing by the grassroots. Anyone up for it?

NewEnd
10-27-2007, 01:40 PM
does anyone else out there think that this warrants the most aggressive possible contact methods to find out what in the world is going on?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed:

If you are confused, perhaps you should not be trying to rally your comrades to follow you.

Im not confused, and neither are most people who see the ad as a good tool that will do the job it was created to do.

synthetic
10-27-2007, 01:42 PM
People need to put themselves in the shoes of a 60 year old living in rural New Hampshire that's never heard of Ron Paul. The ad is meant for them not the internet market.

dspectre
10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
I haven't read all of the replies so hopefully I'm not repeating anything.

It's not the perfect ad, but it definitely works. It accomplishes 3 things...

1. Name Identification

2. Ron Paul General Stances

3 The Cheesiness of the ad is hard to forget.

stevedasbach
10-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I trust Ron Paul and his campaign.
Ron Paul has a history of running winning campaigns.
They produced the ad. It is going to run.
It is going to be successful.

Bingo!

They will know right away whether the ad is working or not by the increase (or not) in website visits and requests for info from NH residents when it runs.

My understanding is that they have made five different ads. The ones that work will get more air time -- the ones that don't will quietly disappear.

I have seen people on this forum criticise the people running the campaign time and time again. And time and time again, it turned out that the campaign knew what it was doing. Let's have some faith.

If you don't like the ad, fine. But don't assume that just because you don't like it, it's not going to be effective.

SWATH
10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Challenge accepted. Have it ready for air on Monday morning.

Sure thing, I'll give it to you right now although it's not targeted toward anyone in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqfCelpANWw

LibertyEagle
10-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Oh, I do and they were FAR WORSE than this. I recall Dukakis' little head bobbing around in that tank, while driving around what looked to be an open field. I about laughed my head off.

This commercial of Ron's isn't that bad at all. I would hope they market-tested it, before they released it to make sure it was hitting the desired demographic.

Hang tight. There are 4 more ads coming. This one is just to take away some of the fringe label, it seems.

wgadget
10-27-2007, 01:47 PM
All he had to do was run through his positions for 30 seconds!!

All he had to do was film his supporters expressing their genuine support for him!!

All he had to do was talk about the rallies and the insane support online!!!

WTF!!!! that was so bad!!! :confused:

This suggestion sounds like you want him to do an ad that sounds like his 30-second debate performances come out sometimes---high-pitched, whiny, nonsensical.

No, this won't work, either....:confused:

Jimmy
Sorry to add to the negative on this but I just had my neighbor and my wife both watch this and the response was really bad. Both ladies said it was like a really bad
local plumber commercial. Very insincere and didnt cast him in a good light. The other words used, insulting and PATHETIC.
Reminds me of George Bush saying "just trust me". Can this be stopped?

I know most of you dont want anyone to e-mail the campaign about anything because they are so overwhelmed but does anyone else out there think that this warrants the most aggressive possible contact methods to find out what in the world is going on?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed:

Only thing I can possible think of, is that the plan is that people will see this and talk about it for several days on end..like a big joke and it turn to a positive??....."MY GOD?! ...Did you see that Ron Paul comercial on TV?? Oh you got to see THAT!!! IS HORRIBLE!" ............Who knows

ItsTime
qft

Oh, I do and they were FAR WORSE than this. I recall Dukakis' little head bobbing around in that tank, while driving around what looked to be an open field. I about laughed my head off.

This commercial of Ron's isn't that bad at all. I would hope they market-tested it, before they released it to make sure it was hitting the desired demographic.

Hang tight. There are 4 more ads coming. This one is just to take away some of the fringe label, it seems.

LibertyEagle
10-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Sure thing, I'll give it to you right now although it's not targeted toward anyone in particular.

Well, for one, you can't use that music. It is copyrighted. For another, text going across the screen has been shown to not be an effective way of communicating a message. This Ad is FAR WORSE than anything that I have seen the campaign release.

NewEnd
10-27-2007, 01:49 PM
With that said, I still think there needs to be MUCH better acting, filiming and scripting.

It would have been nice if they introduced them selves as NH natives:

Perhaps an ad like this:

Will: Ron Paul always votes to protect the constitution
Jon: ...never voted to increase taxes
Amy: ..voted to keep us out of Iraq
Marc: ...and will get us out
judy: ...The man's a doctor, he knows how to cure the healthcare mess
Will: Will, Concord
Jon: Jon, Laconia
Amy: Amy, Lebanon
Marc: Marc, Portsmouth
Judy: Judy, Nashua
All: We are voting Ron Paul!!!
Ron Paul: I'm Ron Paul, and I support this message

centure7
10-27-2007, 01:49 PM

I assure you that the video you have is going to be very ineffective. I agree with the guy who said "It screams I'm just another candidate". The first think you do in it is highlight that a lot of people disagree with him... also starting off by focusing on the negative ("I disagree") is bad.

What I want to see is Ron Paul speaking to a group of people who are chanting "RON PAUL!" in the background and then you flip to show a huge crowd of sign-waving supporters. You should include at least one quote from a famous person and also from a founding father. Ron Pauls strongest credential is his voting record as a member of congress, yet you don't highlight it. There are thousands of YouTube videos segments begging to be put in advertisements... consider including some of those clips in the advertisement.

There are already other TV advertisements made and ready in support of Ron Paul. Why don't you use those instead?

literatim
10-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Flawed. Thirty seconds too long, gives nothing of substance, copyrighted music, and no one can actually read anything on it.

NewEnd
10-27-2007, 01:55 PM

35 seconds too long
copyrighted music
requires lots of reading
the font is terrible

Do you have any idea who you are targetting?

this ad would be a monstrous failure on TV

Fed Up
10-27-2007, 01:55 PM
My guess is that Ron Paul is a spendthrift and went as low budget as he could. That said, I think he went out and got some local theatre actors to play the part...or perhaps some kids from a high school or college drama class.

Also, you don't start out a commercial with someone saying "I don't always agree with Ron Paul."

You start with "Do you want to eliminate the IRS?" or "Here's how we end the war in Iraq, "Just come home." Now you got my attention!

or something to that effect.... What senior wouldn't want to stop paying income taxes?

Fed Up

NewEnd
10-27-2007, 01:57 PM
welcome to the forums, fed up

I disagree with your position.

:D

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 01:58 PM
i see all the Huckabee people decided to sign up to the forum to bash the ad.

KewlRonduderules
10-27-2007, 01:58 PM

Good ad! It has a message that is engaging. As for the music, if it is copywritten, it needs to be changed.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
The same people that think this ad will not work with the target audience are the same people that cannot believe anyone watches Fox News and believes the content to be 100% fact.

The uninformed majority needs to be spoken to in a specific way. The informed minority, us, are not the target audience of this ad.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
i see all the Huckabee people decided to sign up to the forum to bash the ad.

least we have one

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 02:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing :D

least we have one

KewlRonduderules
Looks like we have trolls in the forum today.

Hi!

:)

inibo
I haven't read all of the replies so hopefully I'm not repeating anything.

It's not the perfect ad, but it definitely works. It accomplishes 3 things...

1. Name Identification

2. Ron Paul General Stances

3 The Cheesiness of the ad is hard to forget.

I don't know how many people outside of the Maryland area are familiar with Frank "It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Chicken" Purdue, but he made some really awful TV commercials and sold a bazillion chickens.

I'm just sayin'

Fed Up
10-27-2007, 02:04 PM
welcome to the forums, fed up

I disagree with your position.

:D

Thanks....

You're entitled to your opinion NewEnd. But you didn't say what in particular you disagreed with.

It is through discourse that one comes to enlightenment...yours or mine.

Fed Up

Malakai0
10-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I voted good because it's good for who it's targetted at, older people who have never heard of him before.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I have never ripped on the "official campaign" before but let me just say...

THIS AD IS PURE BULLSHIT, it does make me want to puke! If I saw something like that on TV I'd either A.) Mute it B.) Mock it

Pathetic attempt

I can't believe they are going to blow 1 million on this worthless piece of shit, I AM FUCKING OUTRAGED!

A complete lack of substance, zombie actors talking about BULLSHIT

HELLO, no one talks like that in real life, it makes your supporters look STUPID.

hutch
10-27-2007, 02:06 PM
The fact that this add is targeted at a specific audience does not excuse the extremely poor acting. I don't have a problem with the concept at all, except the first guy saying he doesn't always agree. Although it is honest it doesn't seem like the first thing you would want someone to hear if they've never heard of Ron Paul.

Regardless of the target though, the bad acting is not going to be overlooked by anyone.

RickSp
10-27-2007, 02:06 PM
The production values are horrible. Ron Paul is trying to present himself as a first tier candidate with an ad that looks cheap and slapped together. Not a great idea. It looked more like an ad for a local car dealership than for a national candidate.

The script itself wasn't too bad but the acting, the audio and the look of the footage just didn't cut it.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Where the hell did they dredge up these actors?

centure7
10-27-2007, 02:08 PM
PS, HERE IS HOW YOU CAN SELL RON:

1. Highlight the integrity of Ron, since this first of all it is most important and second of all he is by far the only man of integrity in congress.
A. Ron Paul is a medical doctor who has delivered over 4,000 babies
B. Ron Paul served as an Air Force officer for five(?) years.
C. Ron Paul cannot be bought by special interests.
D. Anything else you can think of.

2. People are flocking in support to Ron Paul, unlike any other candidate. This tells the voters (as it told myself when I personally was sold on Ron Paul) that there really is something different about him.
This is where you show huge Ron Paul rallys, along with a couple street-corner rallies, a few signs that people made themself (especially the LEGAL ones like on the barn, on the empty tractor trailor, etc.)

3. Close by showing that Ron Paul has the best record in congress, and use all the points on the RonPaulIsHope.com video that are shown at the end.

Edit: I might actually switch points one and two there because it sounds like a campaign ad... and anything that sounds like a campaign ad will cause most to tune out instantly.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:08 PM
If anyone had doubts about Ron being 1st tier now they KNOW he's not a serious candidate.

paulitics
10-27-2007, 02:09 PM
reminds me of a 1985 used car dealership ad.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Are you listening HQ?

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I have a feeling they using the same template for his LAME congressional ads.

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 02:12 PM
that got him elected against all odds............................. :eek::D

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 02:12 PM

Which worked.

MS0453
10-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Which worked.

When you've delivered nearly every baby in a certain region, name recognition isn't that much of a problem.

Ozwest
10-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Headquarters needs to know about this... The ad people should get their walking papers... Pull the ad and throw it in the rubbish... Start afresh and inspire voters, not make your candidate the brunt of jokes.

RickSp
10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't know how many people outside of the Maryland area are familiar with Frank "It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Chicken" Purdue, but he made some really awful TV commercials and sold a bazillion chickens.

Actually the Frank Purdue ads, which ran nationally, were extremely well made and rather funny. They communicated exactly the message they intended. I wish the same could be said for this Ron Paul commercial. I hope they do better in the next one.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Which worked.

His is NOT a congressional race. It is not a one size fit all

MS0453
10-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Headquarters needs to know about this... The ad people should get their walking papers... Pull the ad and throw it in the rubbish... Start afresh and inspire voters, not make your candidate the brunt of jokes.

Thats something that actually concerns me. National political-oriented television shows love to run bad ad's on their programs and then mock them. I've seen it happen a few times this campaign season already. (I.E. Romney had some ad where he running in the woods)

I can imagine putting on CNN/MSNBC/Fox News this week, and watching all the talking heads have a jolly good time with this.

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Ummm.. are you watching yourself type? You are explaining exactly why this ad could work....

His is NOT a congressional race. It is not a one size fit all

Shatterhand
10-27-2007, 02:21 PM
I really do think the new ad is crap. There are a million ways to make a better ad. Plus, the campaign doesn't have 20 million dollars to throw around with stupid ads. This ad is just complete nonsense and a waste of precious campaign money.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 02:21 PM
When you've delivered nearly every baby in a certain region, name recognition isn't that much of a problem.

I appreciate the point, but:

Census stats of Ron Paul's Congressional district in 2000:

501,821 CIVILIAN POPULATION 18 OR OVER

66,515 CIVILIAN VETERANS

13% CIVILIAN VETERANS AS A PERCENTAGE OF CIVILIAN POPULATION 18 OR OVER

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Ummm.. are you watching yourself type? You are explaining exactly why this ad could work....

Could work to get him elected to Congress?

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM
The purpose of these actors saying they trust Ron is what? If i am viewing this ad why should I trust the phony actor? It's like trusting a used car salesman for God's sake! These phony actors reflect badly on Dr. Paul and his genuine supporters.

Fed Up
10-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Has someone who knows how to contact Ron Paul's media people sent this thread to them?

I think, based on the poll, that most of us are very critical of this Ad. Someone just needs to send this thread to the right person.

I vote for a pre-emptive strike (not of Iran, but of this Ad)!

Fed Up

centure7
10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
The script itself wasn't too bad but the acting, the audio and the look of the footage just didn't cut it.

Maybe you are right... they should do this over with people who are not obviously acting. Then submit it again. Only a couple of them sounded like they really wanted Ron Paul.

PS - I bet we could put together an ad from YouTube clips that is almost word for word the same but we actually liked it because the people who are saying it mean it.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Has someone who knows how to contact Ron Paul's media people sent this thread to them?

I think, based on the poll, that most of us are very critical of this Ad. Someone just needs to send this thread to the right person.

I vote for a pre-emptive strike (not of Iran, but of this Ad)!

Fed Up

I agree, this piece of shit should never see the light of day.

RevolutionSD
10-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Awful ad, IMO.

At least put in some decent music.
It seemed like one of those ads you see on late night cable shows like for a local furniture store or something.

They need to do a new ad!

paulitics
10-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Actually the Frank Purdue ads, which ran nationally, were extremely well made and rather funny. They communicated exactly the message they intended. I wish the same could be said for this Ron Paul commercial. I hope they do better in the next one.

I don't doubt that this type of ad would have been great in 1985 to sell used cars and chicken. What worked for chickens in 1985 does not work so well here IMO.

Nefertiti
10-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I think it will work. It seems when I don't like things alot of people do. A spoon full of sugar for the mindless masses?

Thank God there are some here who understand what it takes to get the people who aren't already on board for Ron Paul on board.

EvilEngineer
10-27-2007, 02:44 PM
That was god awful. RP needs to tap into his supporters to produce an ad... not a company. All he needs to do is have a contest for his supporters to make a 30 second tv ad and I can promise it will be 1000000 times better than this crap ad. And it will be FREE! (minus a prize of some sort)

Karsten
10-27-2007, 02:45 PM
It's a great ad. I think it will really work and push Ron Paul's poll numbers over 10% pretty soon. For those of you concerned that this ad is a waste of money, it cost money to make the ad in the first place. You want to just scrap it and do another ad? THAT would be a waste of money! The real world isn't youtube.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:48 PM
It's a great ad. I think it will really work and push Ron Paul's poll numbers over 10% pretty soon. For those of you concerned that this ad is a waste of money, it cost money to make the ad in the first place. You want to just scrap it and do another ad? THAT would be a waste of money!

This ad is like a SNL skit. Pulling the ad is the best decision, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

paulitics
10-27-2007, 02:51 PM
You know what I changed my mind, its not so bad. I stopped watching TV becuase of this crap, but maybe this works subconsiously on those who aren't used to thinking much. Hopefully this is just an appetizer for the main course.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 02:52 PM
This ad is like a SNL skit. Pulling the ad is the best decision, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I think we've gotten to used to the youtube created ads. This ad will resonate with New Hampshire. I think the line "I don't always agree with Ron Paul, but he's honest" is a great one. Most of his supporters don't even agree with everything he says, myself included. But we all support him because he's very honest and straightforward and consistent. The people in the ad are real supporters. People are complaining that the acting is bad? That's not acting, it's real supporters. That's how real people talk. Real people don't walk around all dramatic all the time.

EvilEngineer
10-27-2007, 02:52 PM
It's a great ad. I think it will really work and push Ron Paul's poll numbers over 10% pretty soon. For those of you concerned that this ad is a waste of money, it cost money to make the ad in the first place. You want to just scrap it and do another ad? THAT would be a waste of money!

Spending 1.1 M to air this is a waste of money... I'd rather it go toward mass production and distribution of "Ron Paul : A new hope" than this crap ad.

Lets see... 1.1M, how many DVDs and direct mailings would that buy.

maxmerkel
10-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I think we've gotten to used to the youtube created ads. This ad will resonate with New Hampshire. I think the line "I don't always agree with Ron Paul, but he's honest" is a great one. Most of his supporters don't even agree with everything he says, myself included. But we all support him because he's very honest and straightforward and consistent. The people in the ad are real supporters. People are complaining that the acting is bad? That's not acting, it's real supporters. That's how real people talk. Real people don't walk around all dramatic all the time.

but they could have used people who come across like real people and not bad actors : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ua6nInZ8g

Karsten
10-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Spending 1.1 M to air this is a waste of money... I'd rather it go toward mass production and distribution of "Ron Paul : A new hope" than this crap ad.

Lets see... 1.1M, how many DVDs and direct mailings would that buy.

Like I said, we're getting too used to youtube member-created ads. There is nothing wrong with this ad. Some of the money has already been used on the production of this ad, so by convincing headquarters to drop it, you're convincing them to waste money. Please stop it. Let them air this ad!

Karsten
10-27-2007, 02:57 PM
but they could have used people who come across like real people and not bad actors : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ua6nInZ8g

Looks the same to me. Keep in mind it's a 30 second ad, compared to your youtube video which is 4 minutes. SO OF COURSE the youtube looks better!

Duckman
10-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I don't think this ad is bad enough to pull it and lose the money invested in it and the time it would take to create and push out a new one. I do think the campaign should focus on replacing this ad with a new ad as soon as possible.

The main thing that bothers me is that this ad starts off with a negative statement: "I don't always agree with Ron Paul." What? What kind of opening statement is that?

The rest of the ad, I think plays well to mostly uninformed people who maybe have heard "of" Ron Paul because they have seen signs or heard someone talk about him.

In a replacement ad, I'd like to see:

1) Testamonials from REAL RP supporters and not actors, like seen in that Seattle meetup vid
2) Graphs of Ron Paul's money generation, meetup members, youtube stats, or any other graph which looks good
3) More focus on issues

But really, we can't expect an avaroth/new hope style of ad. Those videos are too long and use too much copyrighted material to be adapted into real campaign ads, unfortunately.

However, there is NOTHING to stop your meetup group from setting up a booth at an event and playing those videos on a loop with a laptop computer. We just did that at an event in Orlando and got a really phenomenal response. We even gave away almost all the RP signage we came to the event with to new supporters!!

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think this ad is bad enough to pull it and lose the money invested in it and the time it would take to create and push out a new one. I do think the campaign should focus on replacing this ad with a new ad as soon as possible.

The main thing that bothers me is that this ad starts off with a negative statement: "I don't always agree with Ron Paul." What? What kind of opening statement is that?

The rest of the ad, I think plays well to mostly uninformed people who maybe have heard "of" Ron Paul because they have seen signs or heard someone talk about him.

In a replacement ad, I'd like to see:

1) Testamonials from REAL RP supporters and not actors, like seen in that Seattle meetup vid
2) Graphs of Ron Paul's money generation, meetup members, youtube stats, or any other graph which looks good
3) More focus on issues

But really, we can't expect an avaroth/new hope style of ad. Those videos are too long and use too much copyrighted material to be adapted into real campaign ads, unfortunately.

However, there is NOTHING to stop your meetup group from setting up a booth at an event and playing those videos on a loop with a laptop computer. We just did that at an event in Orlando and got a really phenomenal response. We even gave away almost all the RP signage we came to the event with to new supporters!!

What makes you think they aren't real supporters?

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 03:12 PM
What makes you think they aren't real supporters?

Someone posted in another thread that they recognized one of the guys from a rally. I bet they are all grassroots people in the ad.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Someone posted in another thread that they recognized one of the guys from a rally. I bet they are all grassroots people in the ad.

Exactly. Why are people complaining about bad acting when they are not actors? Plus they only have a few seconds, not 4 minutes to talk as in the youtube videos.

Fed Up
10-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Some good thoughts Duckman.

How many of you out there would email this video (commercial) to your friends to introduce Ron Paul?

That's what I thought....

Fed Up

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Some good thoughts Duckman.

How many of you out there would email this video (commercial) to your friends to introduce Ron Paul?

That's what I thought....

Fed Up

I already have.

Energy
10-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm floored at how bad this is.

I'd rather pull it but if not, like Duckman said, replace it pronto.

We need to channel this frustration into massive action in NH!

RonPaulFever
10-27-2007, 03:23 PM
GODAWFUL.

Lord help us if this actually hits the airwaves.

Hamburglar
10-27-2007, 03:23 PM
I didn't like it, but I'm not the targeted audience either. I'm already a supporter.

Fed Up
10-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Exactly. Why are people complaining about bad acting when they are not actors? Plus they only have a few seconds, not 4 minutes to talk as in the youtube videos.

Karsten...

As they say in the business... "Image is everything."

They also say "you only have 30 seconds to make a good impression."

This ad did nothing for Paul's image by starting off with a negative connotation and did nothing to impress voters. There was no emotional connect. There was terrible acting (and a good actor doesn't cost that much).

But we're all on the same page of wanting the best for Ron Paul. The voting clearly shows that most don't like this ad.

Someone just needs to relay this message to the Paul campaign.

Fed Up

Phil M
10-27-2007, 03:25 PM
I just showed this to my 57 year old dad and he thought it was fine. The only thing he didn't like was the "he's catching on" line.

Karsten
Kristen...

As they say in the business... "Image is everything."

They also say "you only have 30 seconds to make a good impression."

This ad did nothing for Paul's image by starting off with a negative connotation and did nothing to impress voters. There was no emotional connect. There was terrible acting (and a good actor doesn't cost that much).

But we're all on the same page of wanting the best for Ron Paul. The voting clearly shows that most don't like this ad.

Someone just needs to relay this message to the Paul campaign.

Fed Up

Look at my name carefully. It's Karsten, not Kristen. Karsten is the male name.

tfelice
This ad is targeted at the 90% of the people that vote in the primary. Full of postive soundbites, it shold be very effective.

Fed Up
10-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Look at my name carefully. It's Karsten, not Kristen. Karsten is the male name.

I actually corrected it before you posted....my bad...

Paulitician
10-27-2007, 03:29 PM
The "targeted audience" argument doesn't fly with me. I know bad acting when I see it. I know dated production when I see it. The commercial is an absolute travesty.

BillyDkid
10-27-2007, 03:31 PM
The purpose of these actors saying they trust Ron is what? If i am viewing this ad why should I trust the phony actor? It's like trusting a used car salesman for God's sake! These phony actors reflect badly on Dr. Paul and his genuine supporters.Yes, I think comments by genuine NH supporters would have been 10 times more effective. The ad sucks and there is no excuse for it. They have the money to pay people who really know what they are doing. This is weak crap. The country is going to hell in a handbasket. The ad should be about RP being the only one who is standing up for what this country is all about. It should be about the Constitution. It should be about peace and it should be about the promise of prosperity for all of us and not just hedge fund managers. I just hope it does some good. I hate seeing our money spent on weak crap like this. Just my opinion. The campaign needs to hit this thing hard and get to the guts of what the campaign is all about.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Who says these people were paid actors. Stop with the assumptions.

Energy
10-27-2007, 03:34 PM
The "targeted audience" argument doesn't fly with me. I know bad acting when I see it. I know dated production when I see it. The commercial is an absolute travesty.

Same here. It's not like the older demographic in NH is that far removed from our sensibilities (i.e. they're not in the stone age).

ButchHowdy
10-27-2007, 03:43 PM
It is SOOOO New Hampster . . . I like it!

Man from La Mancha
10-27-2007, 03:47 PM
If one wants to this right when a 30 second ad is ready, send it to some NH meetup groups and have them do what ad companies do. Go out and show it to a couple hundred people your targeting and ask what they think. Market research. Then all this speculation should disappear. It wasn't great but it portrayed non actors telling their opinion.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1116/nhdemoqk4.jpg

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:48 PM
It is SOOOO New Hampster . . . I like it!

I'm starting to see more postive reactions than at first. It's catching on, I'm telling ya!

Alabama Supporter
10-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I sure wouldn't volunteer to be in a new RP ad after the way some of you supporters are treating them.

deedles
10-27-2007, 06:08 PM
It would have been nice if they introduced them selves as NH natives:

Perhaps an ad like this:

Will: Ron Paul always votes to protect the constitution
Jon: ...never voted to increase taxes
Amy: ..voted to keep us out of Iraq
Marc: ...and will get us out
judy: ...The man's a doctor, he knows how to cure the healthcare mess
Will: Will, Concord
Jon: Jon, Laconia
Amy: Amy, Lebanon
Marc: Marc, Portsmouth
Judy: Judy, Nashua
All: We are voting Ron Paul!!!
Ron Paul: I'm Ron Paul, and I support this message

I like that... can I borrow it for a radio ad? :)

NewEnd
10-27-2007, 06:24 PM
I like that... can I borrow it for a radio ad? :)

of course