PDA

View Full Version : So while I was checking what time GMA comes on tomorrow...

RileyE104
05-12-2011, 10:32 PM
I noticed this poll question on their site:

A mom gave her 8-year-old daughter botox injections. Is this okay?

The answers were:

- No, it is definitely not okay!
- She has a right to raise her daughter as she sees fit.
- Yes, that's fine.

^ Out of boredom, I decided to answer and I answered the one in bold.

How would a pure libertarian answer this kind of question?
Personally, I feel that something like that requires a type of consent that a child can simply not give.
Does thinking this make me less libertarian? :confused:

messana
05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Was it against the child's will?

TheNcredibleEgg
05-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Personally, I feel that something like that requires a type of consent that a child can simply not give.

I agree with you. I don't think parents should be able to consent to unnecessary medical treatments.

Just set an age. 18 or whatever and let the kid decide for themself.

Probably though - like mother, like daughter applies - and the girl will be a lifetime botoxer.

Kylie
05-12-2011, 10:45 PM
I agree with you. I don't think parents should be able to consent to unnecessary medical treatments.

Just set an age. 18 or whatever and let the kid decide for themself.

Probably though - like mother, like daughter applies - and the girl will be a lifetime botoxer.

Arbitrary number?

I'm with Messana. Was it against the child's will that she had this performed?

If not, then none of my business.

FSP-Rebel
05-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Was it against the child's will?
i hope no brutality is at stake.

RileyE104
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Was it against the child's will that she had this performed?

If not, then none of my business.

How can you possibly believe that a child could give such consent?
There's no way a child could be educated enough to make an informed decision when dealing with certain things.

Mom: This injection in your face/lips will make you look like a princess and people will love you more!
Kid: Well, I like princesses and I want to be a princess, so.. OK!

I mean, seriously...

I get what you're saying though... And I guess one way I would support in preventing this would be the free market itself that might allow someone to do so...

What do I mean?

Well, if I were the doctor (whatever they're called) that was asked to perform such a procedure on a child, I would flat out deny to do so based on my ethical concerns. So... Problem solved? I personally think the doctor who carried this procedure out is a sick bastard who should be ashamed of himself/herself.

Kylie
05-12-2011, 10:58 PM
There's no way a child could be educated enough to make an informed decision when dealing with certain things.

I mean, seriously...

I get what you're saying though... And I guess one way I would support in preventing this would be the free market itself that might allow someone to do so...

What do I mean?

Well, if I were the doctor (whatever they're called) that was asked to perform such a procedure on a child, I would flat out deny to do so based on my ethical concerns.

Yup.

In a moral society, this would not occur. Because someone along the lines would have the good sense to not allow this to happen, be it Mom, or the Doctor, or the Child.

And if it does happen, life is not fair. But I guess you could say that the mother had used force on the child to get the injections, and the doctor(who should have a moral obligation also) didn't refuse to do the procedure, then the child should be able to sue them both for damages.

See? It does work out. Kinda.

Monarchist
05-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I saw this story on one of those entertainment shows that Mother enjoys. The girl said that it hurts and she sometimes cries when she gets the injection. The mom tried to justify it with some BS excuse about self-esteem or whatnot. I wanted to punch her in the throat.

t0rnado
05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
The child should listen to Stefan Molyneux and run away.

Pauls' Revere
05-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Did mom use her supply of botox on the kid? Is botox by prescription only? does this represent abuse since a child cannot legally give consent?

ryan14
05-17-2011, 06:38 AM
I just read the Mom lost custody of her child by Child protective services. My question is, did the child CONSENT to being taken away by CPS? If the child did NOT consent then that is kidnapping right? Surely it should be up to the child whether she wants to stay with her mom or not?
Also, I agree with the child getting botox as long as the child gives her Consent, even if she does not know what the risks are.
Also, surely CPS need more than a 'tv show' to take away a child. TV Shows could be set up. Surely CPS need some real evidence the child was injected with botox?

speciallyblend
05-17-2011, 06:52 AM

I mean, seriously...

What do I mean?

Well, if I were the doctor (whatever they're called) that was asked to perform such a procedure on a child, I would flat out deny to do so based on my ethical concerns. So... Problem solved? I personally think the doctor who carried this procedure out is a sick bastard who should be ashamed of himself/herself.

i hear ya, my answer would be the child can do whatever she wants if she leaves my house at 16 and she can do whatever she wants at 18 but there is no way a child can consent to this at age 8? botox is not like picking out a t-shirt or a happy meal!! I would consider this child endangerment unless there is a doctor that wants to put his medical lisc on the table and say it was to save her life?? lol

TruckinMike
05-17-2011, 07:02 AM
THE GOVERNMENT OWN YOUR CHILDREN -- don't be fooled by the facade that mothers birthed them, and fathers provided for them. The botox injection is a parental decision. NOT a CPS decision. How many parents let their kids --- ride bicycles(without helmets), skateboard, snow ski, water ski, take baths in a bath tubs, cross a street by themselves, climb a ladder, climb a tree, swing on the swing set in the park, slide down a slide, or walk to school? When IS the CPS going to start arbitrarily confiscating YOUR children for those types of activities? If they don't like your politics it could be sooner than you think.

A war has been waging on American families for years, but we the people don't even know it. When we do wake up --- may God have mercy on the CPS workers. (I hope) A day will come that they will be running for their lives. Deservedly so I might add.

TMike:cool:

speciallyblend
05-17-2011, 07:26 AM
THE GOVERNMENT OWN YOUR CHILDREN -- don't be fooled by the facade that mothers birthed them, and fathers provided for them. The botox injection is a parental decision. NOT a CPS decision. How many parents let their kids --- ride bicycles(without helmets), skateboard, snow ski, water ski, take baths in a bath tubs, cross a street by themselves, climb a ladder, climb a tree, swing on the swing set in the park, slide down a slide, or walk to school? When IS the CPS going to start arbitrarily confiscating YOUR children for those types of activities? If they don't like your politics it could be sooner than you think.

A war has been waging on American families for years, but we the people don't even know it. When we do wake up --- may God have mercy on the CPS workers. (I hope) A day will come that they will be running for their lives. Deservedly so I might add.

TMike:cool:

i hear ya but any mom that botoxed an 8 yr old should be spanked at least by me(non government)! curious tmike do you think those lil girls for the beauty contest are really doing it for themselves?? Those moms are insane!!