PDA

View Full Version : (Official) New Hampshire Ron Paul TV Ad!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

NinjaPirate
10-27-2007, 12:21 PM
From the home page of HQ. Watch the vid first before reading my brief opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8

It seems a bit canned to me.

jake
10-27-2007, 12:23 PM
first ten seconds are good, the rest.. is a bit disappointing

spivey378
10-27-2007, 12:24 PM
def canned and cheesy :(

RJB
The message was good, but the delivery wasn't the best.

Lord Xar
this is just a 'branding' type of commercial.. name recognition..

ron paul - end the war
ron paul - doctor
ron paul - liberty

etc...

nothing groundbreaking, or fire and brimstone... but the ad probably has an intention, and that is 'name branding'

terlinguatx

ksuguy
It was ok, not spectacular. Seemed like the people there were reading a script.

allyinoh
Personally, I do not like it. Who is in charge of this? Wow, I'm really shocked.

Ozwest
Seems a bit "contrived".

nyjohn
10-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I usually don't post but I had to comment on this.

It's TERRIBLE. What are they thinking? They spent $1 Mil to play THIS? Guys, we all need to tell them not to play this crap.

steph3n
10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I liked the multiple people but the last line was a little cheesy :)

Tina
Well, I'm not crazy about it, but it may appeal to the more mainstream type, which we need.

literatim
It is all about the target audience.

curtisag
10-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I feel like I'm watching a 1970's defensive driving video. The music is not inspiring either.

Dustancostine
10-27-2007, 12:27 PM
It is so cheeeeeesssssseeeeeyyyy...................

It will probably be effective.

Ozwest
10-27-2007, 12:28 PM
That would be the first in a series. Wouldn't it?

davidkachel
10-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Damn! Now THAT is bad acting!!!!
Even Steven Segal can do better than that!

Drknows
10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
What won me over was his first debate against Rudy.

This isnt going to win anyone under the age of 60 over. We have all this talent on the grassroots level. we could have done a much better job.

The very end was cheesy. "Hes catching on"

it is what it is.

jkaufmann
That would be the first in a series. Wouldn't it?

And the last.....

For now on I will just pay attention to the Grassroots advertisement.

Evident: Its all up to us guys. (and gals)

Vvick727
lol, wow that was corny.

seriously, we make better stuff than that, we should do what this person posted on youtube:

"Ron, you should have a 30sec ad making contest on youtube. Production fee will be free of charge and there's no doubt you will get a lot of really good responses with your arsenal of supporters. Usually the supporters are the ones that really understand your message than hired ones. As you talked about diversity of the crowd, im sure theres professional graphic artists in your crowd that are more than willing to be part of this."

BW4Paul
10-27-2007, 12:30 PM
It is all about the target audience.

^^^ YES.

This ad is not intended to draw in folks like us (internet crowd). This ad is intended to draw in our grandparents. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that it was deliberately made extra cheesy, simply because Paul supporters may be frightened seniors by seeming "nuts" and the ad seeks to comfort them. :)

allyinoh
Someone contact the campaign and tell them to let people (the ones who are good at this) produce something!! I know a lot of supporters that are good with this stuff who could have done so much better.

FIRE THE PRODUCER!

OptionsTrader
Adam Curry will lambast it, lol.

TheIndependent
10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
egads, this was cheesy enough that it would have made for a good 30-second MST3K riff-fest. The acting needs to be a bit more natural. :/

Concept good, execution not so good.

steph3n
10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Someone contact the campaign and tell them to let people (the ones who are good at this) produce something!! I know a lot of supporters that are good with this stuff who could have done so much better.

FIRE THE PRODUCER!

This ad is not to be edgy at all, it has a target demographic, the people watching daytime TV.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 12:32 PM
OMFG

I WANT MY 20$ BACK!

there are 4 other commercials that will be made.
They BETTER be much BETTER than this pos.

BW4Paul

Haha, this is certainly true. We should encourage him to put his money and talent where his mouth is and create an advertising PAC. ;)

winston_blade
Even Steven Segal can do better than that!

Criticism is fine, but don't lie.

allyinoh
10-27-2007, 12:33 PM
This ad is not to be edgy at all, it has a target demographic, the people watching daytime TV.

You have your opinion and others have theirs. I feel for the money they put in it, it could have been better, and I'm talking about the acting.

parke
10-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I didnt like the end... He's really catching on. That doesnt say much to me. But Im a hardcore supporter.

Ozwest
I don't think those were paid actors.

Logistics
I really didnt like it,but as long as it hits the target audience then ok.

OptionsTrader
Since I do not understand the demographic of the average person glued to daytime TV, I do not have hte qualifications to say this ad will not speak to that demographic. Odds are, precisely what I think is weak and canned will work great for that audience.

Lord Xar
you guys are being way too hard.

TARGET TARGET TARGET!!!!

you are all missing the point. Remember, we know ALL ABOUT RON PAUL...

but if you haven't heard of him and then a commercial says "end the war pronto.. fix health care... restore civil liberties..." etc.. you might take notice.

you have look at these ads as if they are for ONLY the people who have not heard of Ron Paul...

filmmaker58
Please, please hire me, or one of the other talented people out here to produce, and shoot your commercials! (www.kerbybrothers.com) I'll donate my salary to the campaign. We have a real chance here, and cheesy, second rate commercials without passion are not going to help. You have 50,000 passionate volunteers across the country, there is no need to stage bad actors to simulate a following.

Drknows
10-27-2007, 12:35 PM

I could see if he was running for city council or selling used cars. Hes running for president!!!

rs3515
Yes it is going to come across as a bit cheesy to some, but I think it's actually pretty good for the target audience. Meant to be an introductory piece and I think the ad makes a subtle statement that some might be missing ...

The key takeaway is this: Ron Paul is not fake, he's a genuine person, not a "slick Hollywood actor" or a "Big City big shot" ... the people in his ads are just normal people, they may not have the perfect sound bite, they are just like you and me.

What this ad clearly says is, "I'm not Romney or Thompson or Giuliani, I'm something different."

Paulitician
Even if it is supposed to target a specific audience, it could still be much better than this. It feels way too unnatural and, yes, even cheesy. I'd put this in the lame category, sorry to say.

LibertyOfOne
So one million to air this all over NH? WHAT? Just have the good doctor speak about the issues not a bunch of crappy actors.

jgmaynard
10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah. I wasn't crazy about the ad per se, but it is a basic name recognition/branding ad.

The advantage it does have though is that they are showing NHites backing him even if they don't support him on everything. We WOULD rather have an honest man who we don't agree with on everything than a lying pud who just tells us what we want to hear (witness the bashing Rudy got for his claim that he was rooting for the Red Sox).

But did they HAVE to LEAD with "I don't agree with him on everything?"

JM

withallmyheart
Yuck!

goldstandard
Oh no! There go the millions...
Is this the best they could come up with? :(

ChristopherJ
10-27-2007, 12:37 PM
This ad is not intended to draw in folks like us (internet crowd). This ad is intended to draw in our grandparents. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that it was deliberately made extra cheesy, simply because Paul supporters may be frightened seniors by seeming "nuts" and the ad seeks to comfort them. :)

Then why not use more seniors in the commercial?

coffeewithchess
10-27-2007, 12:37 PM
This is horrendous, whoever approved this(if it was Ron) needs to have a sit down and talking to. THIS says "FAKE" all over it...HORRIBLE! I WANT either a refund or someone at HQ to be fired for this travesty.

NewEnd
10-27-2007, 12:38 PM
looked great to me, considering the audience

leipo
10-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Very cheesy, but maybe it works for older people.

koob
10-27-2007, 12:39 PM
i understand it's for a target audience, but i think it would be good if the people speaking were a little, um, more passionate? i mean they dont have to have their faces painted red white and blue and holding up revolution signs, but i mean, those students in the ad. i would never be friends with them. they seem really lame haha.

spivey378
is it definitely going to be geared to an older crowd? whoever directed it must have said

"sound scripted and not believable"

literatim
Please, please hire me, or one of the other talented people out here to produce, and shoot your commercials! (www.kerbybrothers.com) I'll donate my salary to the campaign. We have a real chance here, and cheesy, second rate commercials without passion are not going to help. You have 50,000 passionate volunteers across the country, there is no need to stage bad actors to simulate a following.

You know, posting on an internet forum isn't going to do anything. If you really want to, maybe you should contact the campaign.

rs3515
Very cheesy, but maybe it works for older people.

This works ... it's not targeted at us. Remember he has our support already and we think he's cool. ;)

Ozwest
So one million to air this all over NH? WHAT? Just have the good doctor speak about the issues not a bunch of crappy actors.

Surely, this ad and its airing isn't going to use up 1 million. There must be a series of them.

LibertyEagle
10-27-2007, 12:40 PM

FIRE THE PRODUCER!

Well then, why the hell haven't they stepped up to help the grassroots make a TV ad? There have been multiple calls for this, but I sure haven't seen anyone step up.

Talk is cheap.

TheIndependent
10-27-2007, 12:41 PM

However, those actors could just as easily by NH citizens already supporting Paul. If that was true and had been noted in the commercial, that really would have given it some authenticity.

My only beef is how unnaturally contrived the lines came off. I've seen even more contrived commercials have big success, though, so I guess we'll have to see where it goes.

brumans
10-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Worst. Acting. Ever.

Is this the best they could come up with :( I'm dissapointed.

jkaufmann
10-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't think those were paid actors.

Nope. Thats what you get for Free acting. Should have hired someone more expensive like Fred Thompson. At least he is convincing when he's acting.

This really does no good though. Go promote Nov 5th, write a blog, or step out into the street.

Or start organizing money for buying a billboard in your local area.

Drknows
10-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Well lets hope they dont air this nation wide and have pundits make fun of it.

:D

Logistics
10-27-2007, 12:44 PM
You know,they should hire whoever did the New Hope video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA

LibertyEagle
10-27-2007, 12:44 PM

As I recall, there are supposed to be FIVE TV ads. This is apparently the 1st of that series.

V4Vendetta
10-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Oh man, Ron Paul looked GREAT at the Front of the video....

BUT THE ACTING WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speciallyblend
10-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Id rather use lord xar mosaic ,use that commercial.

That commercial wasnt that great,kinda reminded me of a 70's bad commercial.

literatim
10-27-2007, 12:46 PM

What makes you think someone that did an 8 minute long video can come up with a 30 second commercial?

Oh man, Ron Paul looked GREAT at the Front of the video....

BUT THE ACTING WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe they were actually actors.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ua6nInZ8g

should of been like that!

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Guys I just showed this video to a 60 year old normal person and he liked it.

He said that Ron Paul comes across as an honest person and liked the fact that there was no mud slinging.

Dustancostine
10-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Nope. Thats what you get for Free acting.

You can get much much much better actors for free. Most beginning actors will act for lunch just to get their faces on T.V.

BTW: Those were either not actors, or they were directed to act cheesy.

misconstrued
10-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Exactly what I was thinking haha

Drknows
10-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Well i dont always agree with Ron Paul.

I agree with him most of the time. I REALLY DO!!

Makes it seem like hes a shady character if you ask me. Worst Two lines ever. haha

literatim
10-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Guys I just showed this video to a 60 year old normal person and he liked it.

He said that Ron Paul comes across as an honest person and liked the fact that there was no mud slinging.

This is pretty much who they are targeting. I knew it as soon as I watched it. What seems cheesy to the young crowd is very much palatable to the older generation. A lot of what these Ron Paul supporters come up with is very dramatic which throws off the older generation.

Patrick Henry
10-27-2007, 12:52 PM
However, those actors could just as easily by NH citizens already supporting Paul. If that was true and had been noted in the commercial, that really would have given it some authenticity.

I know for a fact that the guy on the porch 18 seconds in is a supporter. I met him at a GOP picnic a few months ago in NH. He actually sat next to me at the Ron Paul table.

Geronimo
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
It's too bad that they all seem like they're acting (and very poorly) ..When I heard they were doing a "man on the street" type of commercial I thought it'd have some clips of people giving unscripted and unrehearsed responses. I felt like I was watching an infomercial.

The commercial should have highlighted clips of Ron using his own words. God knows there's enough footage of him speaking candidly. I hate to say it but Ron comes across as a grumpy old man sometimes. Especially when he's debating. He's a lot more relaxed with his message when he's speaking to a group of supporters, or even Sean Hannity. It's too bad that the only footage of Dr. Paul is his opening statement of approving this message. As much as I love Dr. Paul, he's got the grumpy old man mask on. I really think they should have introduced him after the "people on the street" spoke of him. IMHO, if they want people to wonder "Who is Ron Paul?" it's best not to introduce Ron Paul until people have spoken.

On another note, I heard that they made some 60 second commercials. No offense to anyone who had a hand in the efforts to make the above posted commercial, but I certainly hope that the 60 second spots are better than this. I hate to say it, but this commercial is kind of embarrassing.

I think that this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUje9gQ2QM) would get a lot more attention. All it needs is the "I approve this message" part.

PMatt
All I can really say is that was godawful. They spent a million dollars to run this commercial?

Adamsa
It's not amazing but it gives them the info.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 12:55 PM
It doesn't have to be cheesy to appeal to the old guys. I'm glad it does, but it could appeal to everyone.

heiwa
10-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I thought it was perfect.

The target audience has got to be the people who haven't ever heard of Ron Paul (we need to work harder!) or those who have only heard about him on the MSM as being a wacko.

If the only thing you've heard about a candidate is that he's on "the fringe" then you will have to be gently wooed, which is exactly what this commercial does.

I understand our desire for more "passion", but let's be real - the average american isn't passionate about politics, and any attempts at passion will only exaggerate "the fringe" feeling. The "I don't agree with him on everything" quote is aimed at neutralizing this aspect. It also a great double negative and implies that he agrees with Dr. Paul on most things.

So, it had a friendly "next door" neighbor feel to it - classic advertising for name recognition for rural middle class people. It's especially perfect because it is so '70's and cheesy - a delightful contrast to the glossy slickness of the other campaigns. And, if it's aimed at 30 - 50 year olds, as I think it is, it also harkens to a simpler time (summer picnics, unchaperoned trick or treating, etc...) when politicians could still be trusted (mostly).

It's also a perfect setup for his visits to NH. If you've seen some of his small town speeches, you'll recognize that this commercial is a perfect lead in.

my 2 cents anyway.

In Peace,
Jen

DjLoTi
10-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Man I wish I could've been co-producer. I know people out in LA... well, I have my opinion on things, and ...

I think the 2nd guy, the guy w/the 2 girls, and the last 2 could have done better, but the others wern't so bad. but if you wanna come down solid, you've got to be flush, 100%...

They have 4 other commercials, so lets see how those look.

literatim
10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Simply put, it takes away the "cult label" a lot of the mainstream media is trying to apply to us.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Man I wish I could've been co-producer. I know people out in LA... well, I have my opinion on things, and ...

I think the 2nd guy, the guy w/the 2 girls, and the last 2 could have done better, but the others wern't so bad. but if you wanna come down solid, you've got to be flush, 100%...

They have 4 other commercials, so lets see how those look.

call benton and tell him how we feel. tell him we need more real, or more ron paul.

brumans
10-27-2007, 01:00 PM
He looks angry when he is approving the message.

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 01:01 PM
how many of you have run a campaign before? Never mind a TV ad campaign?

LibertyEagle
All I can really say is that was godawful. They spent a million dollars to run this commercial?

No. There will be 5 commercials. This is just the 1st one.

American
Its directed at New Hampshire, since I'm on the west coast I dont know how effective it will be but its direct and to the point. Not my fav but it addresses a really broad audience.

I like it!

margomaps
I know for a fact that the guy on the porch 18 seconds in is a supporter. I met him at a GOP picnic a few months ago in NH. He actually sat next to me at the Ron Paul table.

Ditto with the dark-haired middle-aged lady who appeared twice. I've seen her at several meetup events in Manchester. I actually thought the porch guys and this lady did a pretty good job in the commercial.

me3
Simply put, it takes away the "cult label" a lot of the mainstream media is trying to apply to us.
And makes it look like this campaign is from 1988.

I think the most obvious thing is that Dr. Paul speaks so honestly, and candidly. To have an ad that seems over scripted comes off as not being genuine to the people who know him.

HQ really needs to raise the level of their game with these ads and fund raising.

Geronimo
10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
lol, wow that was corny.

seriously, we make better stuff than that, we should do what this person posted on youtube:

"Ron, you should have a 30sec ad making contest on youtube. Production fee will be free of charge and there's no doubt you will get a lot of really good responses with your arsenal of supporters. Usually the supporters are the ones that really understand your message than hired ones. As you talked about diversity of the crowd, im sure theres professional graphic artists in your crowd that are more than willing to be part of this."

I think the idea of the campaign having a contest with people submitting their own 30 second commercial is a great idea. I definitely think that there are enough creative supporters who can make a better commercial than this. Why spend so much money on production, when there are thousands of people out there who can convey Ron's message better than this and for free? Besides, I think that having such a contest would give Ron more media attention.

literatim

Angry? He looked stern or resolute to me.

Ron Paul Fan
I thought it was good! Great acting! It appeals to who it's suppose to and OptionsTrader already proved that. This is just an intro so it was going to be light and just give the basic info. Some of you people are full of yourselves. "I could have done better. I should have been the producer. Blah blah blah." It's like people don't know that Congressman Paul has been doing this for a while. Longer than most of us have been born.

Mattsa
That was errrrrr..........shite, basically

I hate to imagine how much that cost.

There are people posting videos on YouTube that are much more imaginative than that

Logistics
What makes you think someone that did an 8 minute long video can come up with a 30 second commercial?

I think its possible to do a shorter version than that. But to be fair,i guess the Tv Ad appeals to a certain demographic in NH which will hit home. It wouldnt really fly here in NYC though.

barcop
10-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow there are a lot of people on here that have ran for a political position and know what works and what doesn't :rolleyes:

I think Ron Paul and the campaign know exactly what they are doing.... and it's not trying to excite his current supporters.

I have no doubt this commercial was tested with focus groups aimed at the targeted audiance before it was released (and passed with flying colors) and is going to accomplish exactly what it is supposed to do.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 01:03 PM

I think the most obvious thing is that Dr. Paul speaks so honestly, and candidly. To have an ad that seems over scripted comes off as not being genuine to the people who know him.

HQ really needs to raise the level of their game with these ads and fund raising.

1.1million/5= 220,000 per ad. This ad cost us 220,000.

Dan Klaus
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Disappointing...understand the idea of target, but this is just not a good political ad..period..

literatim
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I think the last thing Ron Paul wants is to scare away the older demographics with the message of "everything is coming down around your ears, better vote for me."

rs3515
10-27-2007, 01:06 PM
As much as I love Dr. Paul, he's got the grumpy old man mask on.

You know what though, I actually think it's absolutely appropriate that he comes across as very serious at the beginning of this video for two reasons: 1) almost the entire video is about how much people like him, it is a good juxtaposition. 2) everyone keeps talking about how he's anti-war and really just a liberal, but his expression says he's business. Good balance.

csen
10-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I think we have a really hard time getting inside the head of a casual, uninformed voter. If you look at polls of name recognition and then polls of current candidate preference, there's almost a perfect correlation. So if you're a casual voter, yes, the ad might seem a little hokey, but you hear the name Ron Paul several times, you see ordinary NHers speaking favorably about him, and you hear a few basic things about him (against the war, he's a doctor so he understands health care, live free or die), and you see his website. Keep it simple, right? My guess is most of the low-hanging fruit for us -- internet-savvy, change-seeking people have already found us, so we have to go after Joe Sixpack. Gotta start off simple -- the Ron Paul Revolution stuff won't appeal to many people right off the bat.

yaz
10-27-2007, 01:08 PM
the people talking seemed fake

jgmaynard
The other advantage this has for a NH ad is that it does NOT seem overly-polished. That's gooood! :)

JM

Geronimo

Have you tried contacting anyone that's closely tied to the campaign?

V4Vendetta
10-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Damnit man! That was a awful commercial. They start out by saying " I don't agree with everything" YEAH THATS A REAL GOOD WAY TO SHOW SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jgmaynard
10-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I think the idea of the campaign having a contest with people submitting their own 30 second commercial is a great idea.

That IS a great idea! And it would get us free publicity as well - remember how much the press talked about Hillary "The Industrial War Complex is supporting me" Clinton got when she had a contest JUST to let supporters pick her campaign song?

JM

rs3515
10-27-2007, 01:10 PM
The other advantage this has for a NH ad is that it does NOT seem overly-polished. That's gooood! :)

JM

Couldn't agree with you more ... actually posted that a little earlier, I think the message comes across loud and clear, "I'm honest, genuine, not a Hollywood actor or a Big City hot shot. I'm not at all like Romney, Giuliani or Thompson".

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 01:11 PM
how many of you have ran a campaign before? How many of you have run an ad campaign targeting 50 and above crowd? It amazes me everyday how narrow minded ron paul supporters are.

Ozwest
10-27-2007, 01:12 PM
The people in the ad are supporters, but the viewer is unable to discern that. When viewing it, I was unsure myself. I was left thinking: Was that really bad acting, or are those supporters? Makes no sense to me.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Some comments from 2 normal women (30 and 55):

"From person that needs health care. I trust a doctor on health care."

"A good daytime ad for the average TV viewer. It would get them talking about honesty and the war and about a doctor fixing health care which is important to me."

frasu
10-27-2007, 01:13 PM

i second that... Why Do You Support Ron Paul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ua6nInZ8g) video is much better for what is this campaign all about... The official one is so awkward... sounds like something made in spring 2007, before people came up with Google Ron Paul... Catching on? C'mon... Where is the line with champion of the constitution, or at leas Liberty, Prosperity, Peace... Too much connecting the dots and frank discussion. His campaign is much more pasionate...

It features younger people that for sure look like have no business telling older folks who to vote for...

damn...

jgmaynard
10-27-2007, 01:14 PM
how many of you have ran a campaign before? How many of you have run an ad campaign targeting 50 and above crowd? It amazes me everyday how narrow minded ron paul supporters are.

I've run for City Council in Keene twice, garnering between 15-25% as a well-known Libertarian in the liberal mecca of Keene WITH the Keene Sentinel actively opposing me, and I managed Michelle Otterson's state rep campaign in 2000, getting over 10% running as a PARTY-LISTED Libertarian.

ALmost forgot ad campaigns. :D Each campaign I led in one way or the other used radio and mail advertising campaigns that each receieved a lot of attention. I also created the only TV commercial ever produced for the Free State Project, and I have created well over a dozen retail television commercials that have targeted every population from college kids to grandmas.

But I'm still not going to claim to be right all the time.

How about you? :)

JM

Geronimo
10-27-2007, 01:17 PM
That IS a great idea! And it would get us free publicity as well - remember how much the press talked about Hillary "The Industrial War Complex is supporting me" Clinton got when she had a contest JUST to let supporters pick her campaign song?

JM

I wonder how we'd go about suggesting something like this to someone in the campaign.

LibertyOfOne
10-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Are you saying old people can't detect scripting? I mean if you are going to run that ad atleast have the supporters put why they support him in their own words.

koob
10-27-2007, 01:18 PM
This is a mitt romney ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTiOLGtiEPQ

if i knew NOTHING of the candidates except their TV ads, i don't know if i'd vote for ron.

wfd40
10-27-2007, 01:18 PM

JM

Quoted for truth.

For those of you criticizing out the "unprofessional-80s-esque-look" of this, think about who Ron Paul is and what he is all about:

Substance over style..

I've seen the Romney ads - and boy are they professional looking! But guess what, Romney is a hack and so are the rest of them (save Obama, who I also respect/like).

NH-ans will come around... you can only attack the wallets of an intelligent group of people for so long.

richard1984
10-27-2007, 01:19 PM
What are other candidates' (past and present) NH commercials like? For example, didn't Buchannan win NH back in the day? What did his commercials look like?
Also, perhaps the commercial will "stand-out" (have attention-grabbing qualities) from the other commercials around it.
The commercial has a 70s/80s flashback sort of quality to it (like those stupid, cheesy videos we'd watch in school), so it may be reminiscent of "better times" and perhaps of Republicans of the past (maybe Reagan or something), especially to older people. After all, Ron Paul is touting "traditional Republican principles."
If nothing else, the commercial's cheesiness will probably make it stand-out and, thus, more memorable. Maybe it's a good idea to back away from the typical brain-numbing, flashy, in-your-face commercials so common today. Hopefully, it will attract the older conservatives who would otherwise be turned away or intimidated by the "crazy kids" that support Ron Paul. Maybe it will be comforting to them. You know? Maybe it'll even help cancel out the media's Ron Paul bashing.
Hopefully this will appeal to the older, traditional conservative population of New Hampshire. So maybe it's not as bad as we perceive it to be.

Ron Paul Fan
10-27-2007, 01:19 PM

if i knew NOTHING of the candidates except their TV ads, i don't know if i'd vote for ron.

So you'd base who you're voting for on one commercial ad. Brilliant! You must be lazy and hate liberty.

Jimmy
10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I cannot remember seeing a worse presidential commerical......ever....JMHO.

koob
10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
So you'd base who you're voting for on one commercial ad. Brilliant! You must be lazy and hate liberty.

i'm not saying i would. but if i was a person who wasn't really hardcore into this stuff.

LibertyOfOne
10-27-2007, 01:22 PM

I think she is talking about the normal average joe and not about herself. BTW skoob what is that black thing in your avatar?

margomaps
10-27-2007, 01:23 PM

:rolleyes:

Way to turn an honest reaction into a personal attack.

I agree with that person: if ALL I KNEW about the candidates was from those two ads, I don't think I'd have a favorable impression of Ron. I think Romney's ad was more effective because it actually featured him talking about some issues.

If this is supposed to be a "get to know Ron Paul" ad, then the flippin' ad should feature Ron Paul -- not supporters, not actors. IMO.

Ozwest
10-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Why not let the supporters say it in their OWN words? If its going to be scripted, get proper actors... This commercial is in "no man's land"

jgmaynard
10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
That Mitt ad is pretty slick, maybe too much so.

That said, I DO like the "hominess" of Ron's ad, but it really should be polished a bit. I bet one of us could take the ad and improve it. :O)

JM

Ron Paul Fan
10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
i'm not saying i would. but if i was a person who wasn't really hardcore into this stuff.

You're right. It's not like Ron Paul is gonna make any more tv ads or anything. This is it! I think he spent $1.1 million on tv ads and it all went towards this one. Seriously, think! There will be more ads with more spunk! This is an introduction.

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 01:25 PM
wow someone is thinking! Not everything should look like a 15 min youtube video.

You're right. It's not like Ron Paul is gonna make any more tv ads or anything. This is it! I think he spent $1.1 million on tv ads and it all went towards this one. Seriously, think! There will be more ads with more spunk! This is an introduction.

LibertyOfOne
10-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Why not let the supporters say it in their OWN words? If its going to be scripted, get proper actors... This commercial is in "no man's land"

What would look nice if they went to places in NH where Ron Paul supporters are getting the word out. Then they could ask them why they support the good doctor and choose the best shots.

A Ron Paul Rebel
10-27-2007, 01:26 PM

I hate to say it, but that's a damn good ad for Mitt. And I think he's our main competition up here in New Hampshire being that he's from Boston and that a lot of Mass. people have moved up here!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cunningham
10-27-2007, 01:26 PM

I haven't run a campaign before.....but I've watched a lot of campaign commercials. This one doesn't seem to hold up. The commercial kind of had the same feel of the cheap local business commercials you tend to see playing at 3 in the morning. I also work with and am related to 50 something types. I think even they would see this as cheap and shoestring. The bad acting seems to negate any emotional touch that an ad needs to connect with the viewer. It was very stale..... and yes, if I had the money available that the campaign has, i think I could do better, so could you.
I think George Lucas directed this commercial the acting was so bad.

Johncjackson
10-27-2007, 01:27 PM
If it's so bad, then someone make another one and raise a million bucks to air it grass-roots style like all the newspaper ads and everything else people have been doing outside of the campaign.

Korey Kaczynski
10-27-2007, 01:27 PM

I wonder if the ad is SUPPOSED to seem like it's from an earlier era to appeal to older viewers who experienced ads like that in the past, thus nostalgia.

At least, I hope so.

rs3515
10-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Hopefully this will appeal to the older, traditional conservative population of New Hampshire. So maybe it's not as bad as we perceive it to be.

As well if anyone has heard of RP but doesn't know much about him, they might have the impression that he's "crazy" or "quirky" or "eccentric" ... this video just has average people talking, they're not perfect, they're not polished. And people watching the video will say, "hey, he doesn't seem all that crazy to me". It points them in the right direction and sets them up for future commercials.

jgmaynard
10-27-2007, 01:29 PM
I think George Lucas directed this commercial the acting was so bad.

LOL. No he didn't - otherwise, EVERY SINGLE SCENE would have ended with a swipe. :D

JM

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Stop being reasonable. This thread is not for this. we need more people saying things like "I want my money back" only negative comments please.

As well if anyone has heard of RP but doesn't know much about him, they might have the impression that he's "crazy" or "quirky" or "eccentric" ... this video just has average people talking, they're not perfect, they're not polished. And people watching the video will say, "hey, he doesn't seem all that crazy to me". It points them in the right direction and sets them up for future commercials.

margomaps
10-27-2007, 01:31 PM
If it's so bad, then someone make another one and raise a million bucks to air it grass-roots style like all the newspaper ads and everything else people have been doing outside of the campaign.

I'd wager that most of the $1+ million was not for producing the commercials, but for buying air-time on TV. At least I hope this is the case. If producing commercials like this one cost more than $100,000, then it is a very bad use of campaign funds IMO.

I like the idea of the grassroots community going out and trying to produce a superior 30 second ad. Free market and all that. If it's good, let the campaign use it instead of the cheesy one we just saw.

KewlRonduderules
10-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Here is my thought. I think that Romney ad is done with added sensationalism and people buy into that. Whereas the Ron Paul ad is more...well... amateurish and shows nothing extraordinary. Believe it or not, most Americans get their knowledge from TV and believe blindly in this sensationalism. I hate to say it but that is my perception. Ron Paul needs to do the same thing adding sensationalism to his message- this way it will be more powerful!!! Unfortunately, sensationalism sells. we need to do the same thing in order to win.

Where's Avaroth when you need him?

Ron Paul Fan
10-27-2007, 01:32 PM

Exactly my friend. I like how everyone on here is saying, "Well it doesn't appeal to me so I wouldn't vote for him. I speak for all New Hampshireites and Americans." OptionsTrader has been the only one that has displayed it to the intended audience, and it worked!

American
10-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I support the Ron Paul campaign completely, its not my favorite but it will work. We need a new "bitching" section I'm getting tired of all the monday morning quarterbacking around here.

literatim
10-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Here is my thought. I think that Romney ad is done with added sensationalism and people buy into that. Whereas the Ron Paul ad is more...well... amateurish and shows nothing extraordinary. Believe it or not, most Americans get their knowledge from TV and believe blindly in this sensationalism. I hate to say it but that is my perception. Ron Paul needs to do the same thing adding sensationalism to his message- this way it will be more powerful!!! Unfortunately, sensationalism sells. we need to do the same thing in order to win.

You clearly know nothing about rural New England and Mid-West, especially New Hampshire.

inibo
Yes, it is cheesy. Television and people who get all their information from it are cheesy. They've already won us, they're aiming for all the not us. This is either the product of genius or insanity.

Ozwest
This isn't Mayberry, surely seniors are a little more sophisticated than some of you give them credit for... How do you build on an ad like this?

Drknows
10-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Yeah Ron Paul sitting with his family and talking about what he believes in would've been so much better!!!!

Abobo
10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
You guys have to remember that they can't use any copyrighted clips in their official ads. So, no clips from debates, and no good background music. Unless you're willing to pay big bucks, this is the kind of acting you get. Maybe they would have been better off just showing clips of RP supporters marching or something.

wgadget
10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
def canned and cheesy :(

I didn't know cheese even CAME in a can...but it does now.

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 01:38 PM
They should have used this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-bCRc2ub8hU
much more appealing.

Shatterhand
10-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I thought the Ron Paul ad was CHEESY!

:p:p:p

KewlRonduderules
You clearly know nothing about rural New England and Mid-West, especially New Hampshire.

LOL!!!

Just the facts my friend.

;)

OptionsTrader
I didn't know cheese even CAME in a can...but it does now.

Well it used to, and it was aerosol, but now it comes in jars, lol.
http://www.kraftfoods.com/cheezwhiz/cw_index.html

literatim
10-27-2007, 01:40 PM
They should have used this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-bCRc2ub8hU
much more appealing.

Yes, that will really go over well with rural New Hampshire. :rolleyes:

jgmaynard
I believe you can use up to eight seconds of copyrighted audio or video under fair use laws. I'm not positive, though, but pretty sure.

JM

OptionsTrader
I thought the Ron Paul ad was CHEESY!

:p:p:p

But will an ad that was targetting another demographic, less informed than yourself, prevent you from donating and/or voting for him?

wgadget
This isn't Mayberry, surely seniors are a little more sophisticated than some of you give them credit for... How do you build on an ad like this?

Well.......There's nowhere to go but UP....:D

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 01:41 PM
sorry I was being sarcastic. :D

Yes, that will really go over well with rural New Hampshire. :rolleyes:

Drknows
10-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Here i will show it to my grandma lets see what she has to say.

RickSp
10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
The production values were disappointing. It has got to help with name recognition and it presents the key issues in manageable soundbites.

I think the real downside is that the production feels amateurish which can undercut the campaign for credibility.

10thAmendmentMan
10-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Heh. I met one of the people in that ad at a MeetUp.

Abobo
10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
They could have saved money and just had an announcer saying:

Ron Paul -- Apply directly to the constitution

KewlRonduderules
10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah Ron Paul sitting with his family and talking about what he believes in would've been so much better!!!!

This actually can work. With the right presentation, theme, and music, it can be very powerful. Moreover, given that it would be his own family - it will be definitely be genuine :D

literatim
10-27-2007, 01:48 PM
They could have saved money and just had an announcer saying:

lol

Chaos Unlimited
10-27-2007, 01:48 PM
It's disappointing. If you're going with regular people speaking then let them speak their own words. It's clearly scripted. Awkward.

Ron Paul is a great speaker. He comes off as intelligent, rational, and yes, presidential. This ad does not introduce a President. It looks like a typical campaign ad for a state legislator.

I think the youtube contest is an excellent idea. If the campaign provides guidelines (eg target market is...) the entries could be effective.

As far as "bitching on a message forum" - a lot of us have contributed to the campaign. We may not be the target market for the commercial but we do want to see our money well spent. The concept of using regular people in NH works, but the execution is poor.

(Yes, I have campaign experience.)

Perry
10-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Ug...the actors are bad. We need real people voicing real opinions. Go out into the street and ask the Paul supports why they are supporting Paul and run that in the ad. At least the passion would come through. How much did they spend on this?

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 01:52 PM
What we as informed people think about the ad speaking to us is not relevant.

Find a regular person. Someone that hardly ever uses the internet and is in general very uninformed about politics and uninformed about what is really going on in the world. One of the sleeping majority.

Show them the ad. Ask them what they think about this ad on television.

Paulitic
10-27-2007, 01:55 PM

I would be too if that's the message I had to approve. Craptacular.

Anyone know who's in charge of these commercials? Official RP website lists the Video Production Director as Bill Dumas...apparently pronounced "dumbass". ...sorry, that was immature and uncalled for, but I couldn't resist.

On the brightside, maybe this thing will catch on like Mentos ads which were also cheesy, yet somehow effective.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I watched it like 50 times now.

It's not as bad as I first realized.
Still not great.

But not horrible to the point where his campaign fails.

He can do better, but it's not going to kill him. It helps get his name out there.
But he still coulda did a better job of doing that.

Maybe get the CIA Agent talk about how Ron Paul is the only man who knows whats best for the countries national security? "He's the only one who knows the problems, the only one.." etc.

maiki
10-27-2007, 01:56 PM

I would NOT vote for Romney based on this ad alone. But I like thee RP ad, so... The Romney ad says *none* of his positions, implies that he supports the war, and most people in NH probably do not see MA as an example to follow at all (high taxes, less freedom). It is *flashy* but.. that is it. so what? That is not what appeals to me in a politician.

Malakai0
10-27-2007, 01:56 PM
The campaign probably wants people to think of RP as a normal politician, who happens to be honest and sensible unlike the rest.

With the MSM constantly calling RP 'crazy' 'wacko' 'insane', I wouldn't want some revolutionary user-made youtube like video being their first exposure either.

Once they learn the name and google good old Ron, then they can get the whole story without being limited to 30s.

My thoughts anyway.

Bluedevil
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
That was MISERABLE, you can tell they are reading from a script- terrible acting. Why not show clips of people who actally mean what they say? I really hope they dont waste all the campaign money airing that.

USPatriot36
I like the ad. It comes off as honest - not slick. Ron Paul already has all the Radical freedom lover types. And due to the media portraying his followers as the fringe, he has to sell him self as reasonable and un-radical. Now he has to appeal to the Moderate Freedom Lovers which this commercial does.

shadowhooch
I think it's great! It conveys his "honesty" message which really is what sets him apart from everyone else. Seeing this commercial WILL cause people to look him up.

Face it. Cheesy works. You know you all love watching "Barney", "Full House", and more recently "What I Like About You".

You all are just cheese haters. But deep down, you know you all love the cheese. More cheese please!:D

RonPaulCult
10-27-2007, 02:01 PM
I can't even read all of the posts on this thread I have to say IT SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Please make a new one. This IS CHEESY and it is soooooooooo FAKE

GET REAL PEOPLE IN NH IN AN AD WHO BELIEVE THESE THINGS

0zzy
10-27-2007, 02:02 PM
I can't even read all of the posts on this thread I have to say IT SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Please make a new one. This IS CHEESY and it is soooooooooo FAKE

GET REAL PEOPLE IN NH IN AN AD WHO BELIEVE THESE THINGS

Those are real people in NH who believe those things.

But they were given a script,
you can't give passion a script.
especially if passion is a bad actor.

livinglegend
10-27-2007, 02:07 PM
It's so cheesy that it sticks in your head!

He's catching' on, I'm tellin' ya!

For the first 5 seconds after watching it I was disappointed, but now I think it is definitely effective because it makes good points and it sticks in your brain.

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 02:09 PM
haha you go it! "hes catchin' on" is already stuck in everyones head! :D

For the first 5 seconds after watching it I was disappointed, but now I think it is definitely effective because it makes good points and it sticks in your brain.

KewlRonduderules
10-27-2007, 02:09 PM
OK people listen up.

I had my wife's sisters who are 45 years and over watch this video and had my mother in law watch this video. They really did not think any of it and agreed that it was a typical politician's commercial. As for my mother in law who is in her 70's did not really think anything of it but what was interesting she was more listening to the content.

I also showed them the Romney video, their response was overwhelming. They were very impressed.

Like I said before, sensationalism sells.

The Only Woj
10-27-2007, 02:10 PM
1) those were bad actors
2) half of the youtube videos are FAR better than this

waste of money. I'm really borderline at times giving money to the campaign rather than sponsoring grassroots stuff ... because the radio ads and this tv ad are just ... bad.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I like the ad. It comes off as honest - not slick. Ron Paul already has all the Radical freedom lover types. And due to the media portraying his followers as the fringe, he has to sell him self as reasonable and un-radical. Now he has to appeal to the Moderate Freedom Lovers which this commercial does.

I agree 100%.

Shatterhand
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I think the Ron Paul ad really sucks. I just watched the Mitt Romney ad. The Mitt ad is a million times better.

bolidew
10-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Some people still don't get it? Those are NOT actors. They are real RP supporters.

KewlRonduderules
10-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Some people still don't get it? Those are NOT actors. They are real RP supporters.

I'm sure they are but the majority of people will not know that. It does not come across as natural and genuine. People see that who do not know Ron Paul may perceive him in a negative light.

My sister-in-laws just watched it and they all agreed that this was nothing unusual- typical politician. Not GOOD!:(

withallmyheart
You're right. There will be more ads with more spunk! This is an introduction.

Introduction = first impression

This ad is not give a good first impression.

Ron Paul's ads should be dynamite because of dynamite message.

Critique:
Ron Paul looks like he's scowling,
wasted time with the yard sign,
first person on the screen claims he "doesn't always agree with Ron Paul",
filming the backside of people ???

His ads should say WOW!

We've been telling people Ron Paul is unlike any other candidate. This ad screams change the channel.

We/HQ can do better. Dr. Paul deserves better than this.

NewEnd
Romney ad: 31 seconds too long

FIRE THE PRODUCER!

Stuff it, unless you have a better, legal*, 30 second ad ready

*(No copyrighted music)

Alot of people are afraid of passion. Rule 1: Know your target

Without the music, this youtube video would not be that great. Plus the guy doesn't take criticism well.

4 minutes long?

I think that this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUje9gQ2QM) would get a lot more attention. All it needs is the "I approve this message" part.

Nope. 35 seconds too long, windy, not enough action to keep the target audiences attention. I couldn't even get through it.

They start out by saying " I don't agree with everything" YEAH THATS A REAL GOOD WAY TO SHOW SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idea is not to portray Ron Paul as the man with all the answers. It is to portray him as honest. and "I dont agree with him on everything" is an honest, and good way to start a dialogue about Ron Paul.

Thats a one minute ad. You can do alot more with one minute than you can with 30 seconds.

I support the Ron Paul campaign completely, its not my favorite but it will work. We need a new "bitching" section I'm getting tired of all the monday morning quarterbacking around here.

Fuck yeah, American. I am getting sick of the whiners, and the psuedo-leaders yelling "charge!" to flood our campaign offices with thier phone calls of amateur commercial direction advice and spam up their email with complaints about which state Ron Paul is in, and why isn't he raising more money.

The campaign has better things to do then read a bunch of know-it-alls' opinions.

Ridiculous
10-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Unless it is stated in the ad that they are real Paul supporters, it doesn't matter if they are actors or not.

Romney's ad is a lot better....

Shatterhand
10-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Introduction = first impression

This ad is not give a good first impression.

Ron Paul's ads should be dynamite because of dynamite message.

Critique:
Ron Paul looks like he's scowling,
wasted time with the yard sign,
first person on the screen claims he "doesn't always agree with Ron Paul",
filming the backside of people ???

His ads should say WOW!

We've been telling people Ron Paul is unlike any other candidate. This ad screams change the channel.

We/HQ can do better. Dr. Paul deserves better than this.

Great point, I didn't even think about: Dr. Paul deserves better!

I agree. Dr. Paul deserves better than this idiotic ad.

Ozwest
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM

That's the point, how are New Hampshire voters supposed to figure it out if we can't? If this goes to air, I believe Ron Paul is open to ridicule. This would be shameful, considering the Statesman he is... This ad needs to be trashed!

Chester Copperpot
10-27-2007, 02:32 PM
this is just a 'branding' type of commercial.. name recognition..

ron paul - end the war
ron paul - doctor
ron paul - liberty

etc...

nothing groundbreaking, or fire and brimstone... but the ad probably has an intention, and that is 'name branding'

Yeah youre probably right.. I was ready to flame the guy who bitched about it.. but that was before I saw it... itll be good enough for the name recognition thing.. and the bad actors/actresses were probably cheap enough. heh

maxmerkel
10-27-2007, 02:33 PM
my verdict: cheesy but ok

atthegates
10-27-2007, 02:44 PM
someone please tell me that all the money they spent didn't go into this one ad? there are other ads that they're in the process of making with that $1.1 million, i presume?

lasenorita
10-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Loved the first three seconds, the rest was so-so.

The message they were imparting is great, but the execution wasn't. I think the main thing that really bothered me was the way it was filmed. Everyone seemed to be talking to someone somewhere out of the camera's frame. I realize that they were probably going for that effect, but as a viewer, I didn't find it very engaging. That might very well be because I've been spoiled by awesome videos like "A New Hope". :p

Anyways, I hope those who see the commercial become more curious about Ron Paul. Or at the very least ...make them wonder why all these random people sitting in porches, walking around campus, and conducting business meetings are talking about the same person.

margomaps
10-27-2007, 02:48 PM
someone please tell me that all the money they spent didn't go into this one ad? there are other ads that they're in the process of making with that $1.1 million, i presume?

I keep hearing people say there are 5 total commercials. I don't know this for a fact, but that's what is being said.

As for the cost, remember that a large portion of that $1.1 million is likely buying the TV air time. I'd like to see a breakdown of the cost -- production vs air time.

Thomas_Paine
10-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm sure they are but the majority of people will not know that. It does not come across as natural and genuine. People see that who do not know Ron Paul may perceive him in a negative light.

My sister-in-laws just watched it and they all agreed that this was nothing unusual- typical politician. Not GOOD!:(

Exactly.... Ron is being sold like a traditional politician, New Hampshire can vote for Mitt if that is what they want.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I think we've gotten to used to the youtube created ads. This ad will resonate with New Hampshire. I think the line "I don't always agree with Ron Paul, but he's honest" is a great one. Most of his supporters don't even agree with everything he says, myself included. But we all support him because he's very honest and straightforward and consistent. The people in the ad are real supporters. People are complaining that the acting is bad? That's not acting, it's real supporters. That's how real people talk. Real people don't walk around all dramatic all the time.

Buzz
10-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I keep hearing people say there are 5 total commercials. I don't know this for a fact, but that's what is being said.

As for the cost, remember that a large portion of that $1.1 million is likely buying the TV air time. I'd like to see a breakdown of the cost -- production vs air time.

The production cost was undoubtedly next to nothing. The "actors" were apparently Ron Paul supporters (volunteers), and there were no special effects or anything of the like.

Thom1776
10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
This ad has a specific task: To get New Hampshirites not familiar with Ron Paul to hear his name and want to know why the people in the ad like him. It's an introduction.

The people running the campaign know what they're doing.

This ad is perfect for New Hampshire.

granny miller
10-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Is that as real TV ad that somebody paid money for:confused: or is that a joke?

Starks
10-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Even for a name recognition ad, I don't like it.

"He's catching on" is extremely corny!

shadowhooch
10-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I think the Ron Paul ad really sucks. I just watched the Mitt Romney ad. The Mitt ad is a million times better.

I disagree. All I hear is a politician saying "blah, blah, blah" in Mitt's ad. I've seen a million ads like that.

Ron's commercial doesn't tell you much. But it will get people to look him up (which is what we want) rather than stating any issue that might turn them off right away.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Even for a name recognition ad, I don't like it.

"He's catching on" is extremely corny!

But he is catching on.

KewlRonduderules
10-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Ok people, my wife is 52yrs old and just came home from grocery shopping. She just watched the Ron Paul video and her exact words were "it is good" but with really no umpf behind it. Then she watched the Romney video and said " I think i like this one better." I asked what was it about the Romney video that appealed to her. She said it was "emotional. it had a patriotic theme... the flag,clapping, and good music". Where as the Ron Paul ad was more relaxed not very emotional.

As I keep saying, sensationalism sells.

;)

paulitics
10-27-2007, 03:05 PM
^^^ YES.

It had to be, nothing this cheezy can be by accident. This was extra cheeze thick and heavy.

It will probably work.

damijin
10-27-2007, 03:06 PM
My vote:

Keep your mouths shut and see what happens. We can't un-make or de-air the commercial, so just sit back and see if the poll numbers go up with them old folks and their land lines, eh?

Drknows
10-27-2007, 03:06 PM
But he is catching on.

Yeah but even the supporters in the ad sound like they doubt him.

"WelL i don't really agree with Ron Paul On everything but he seems honest"

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 03:07 PM
everyone already knows the catch phrase! "hes catching on" yet people do not understand why they know it... why do they know it? because it was cheesy enough to work.

I have seen a handful of Mitt ads on tv and have no clue what he said.. its too slick it falls right off you.

It had to be, nothing this cheezy can be by accident. This was extra cheeze thick and heavy.

It will probably work.

Drknows
10-27-2007, 03:07 PM

It will probably work.

Well lets hope! :D

ItsTime
10-27-2007, 03:09 PM
You dont see the progression of the ad? They start off with that... then end with "he is catching on" see how it built momentum? Now you cant get the catch phrase out of your head...

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Well that's how I feel. I don't agree with Ron Paul on everything.

Shatterhand
10-27-2007, 03:16 PM

I agree. It seems that right off the bat this ad is starting from a position of weakness. It's on defense.

Why not start from a position of strength?

This ad is creating a bad first impression. It's sowing seeds of doubt in the viewer's mind.

Ozwest
10-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Campaign HQ as we have already seen, is capable of making mistakes. The ad is shite, and there no way of spinning it otherwise... People will ridicule this ad. Ron is a Statesman and deserves better.

Jordan
10-27-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm not impressed, but I'm willing to see what happens.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I agree. It seems that right off the bat this ad is starting from a position of weakness. It's on defense.

Why not start from a position of strength?

This ad is creating a bad first impression. It's sowing seeds of doubt in the viewer's mind.

No, it's honest. Do you agree with Ron Paul on everything? I don't, but I agree with him on most things. It sounds honest and is a welcome change from politicians who speak like they can do no wrong. I LOVE THE AD!

stevedasbach
10-27-2007, 03:20 PM
When I was Executive Director of the LP, we had a regular direct mail fundraising program. The letters ranged from 4 - 12 pages, with 8 pages being very typical.

We constantly got letters, calls, and emails complaining that the letters were too long. Ditto from state and local activists. If we had gone by the feedback we were getting, we would have cut all our letters back to 1-2 pages.

Problem is, 1-2 page letters raise a lot less money than 4 page letters, which raise less than 8 page letters, etc. This has been extensively researched by the direct mail industry, and we ran our own tests to verify that research. Long letters almost always perform better than short ones.

I would explain this at training workshops, conventions, etc. And the short letter proponents were never convinced.

Just because we think the new Ron Paul TV ad sucks doesn't mean it won't be effective.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Just because we think the new Ron Paul TV ad sucks doesn't mean it won't be effective.

Agree 100%

I like the fact that this community hates the ad.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 03:22 PM
When I was Executive Director of the LP, we had a regular direct mail fundraising program. The letters ranged from 4 - 12 pages, with 8 pages being very typical.

We constantly got letters, calls, and emails complaining that the letters were too long. Ditto from state and local activists. If we had gone by the feedback we were getting, we would have cut all our letters back to 1-2 pages.

Problem is, 1-2 page letters raise a lot less money than 4 page letters, which raise less than 8 page letters, etc. This has been extensively researched by the direct mail industry, and we ran our own tests to verify that research. Long letters almost always perform better than short ones.

I would explain this at training workshops, conventions, etc. And the short letter proponents were never convinced.

At a meetup back in August we watched Ron Paul ads from his Congressional race in 1996. They were exactly like this. And he won the race against the will of the entire establishment GOP. He knows what he's doing. It's catching on, I'm telling YOU!

Meatwasp
10-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I am an older person and I did not like it

cjhowe
10-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Everyone who is saying they don't like it....download it, put it on a loop playing and then go do other stuff while it's playing. This is how people "watch" daytime TV. It's not what you see on daytime, it's what you remember.

TooConservative
10-27-2007, 03:34 PM
People are being too critical of this ad.

It's an intro ad, designed to stir interest in a non-threatening way, introduce RP to NH voters that aren't political junkies.

AdamT
10-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Damn I hope the campaign knows what they're doing. Out of all the different things you can do in 30 seconds of TV ad time, this just seems wrong, and a waste. I am surprised Ron approved it, as it comes off fake and cheesy. Amateur. Even if the people in the ad are supporters, they still sounded like B actors.

Like I said, I sure hope they know what they're doing......

We need to get our grassroots ads up in NH ASAP as a counter-balance.

OptionsTrader
10-27-2007, 03:39 PM
One thing is for sure, the campaign is getting a lot of feedback from internet users today, lol.

Alabama Supporter
10-27-2007, 03:40 PM
I like it. Especially the end. "He's catching on, I'm tellin ya" That will stick in your head for sure.

On a side note, I wonder if the "Head On" style commercial would work for politics? Or even 800-Goldberg ads. Those are 2 classic cheezy daytime commercials.

Drknows
10-27-2007, 03:43 PM

Quoted for truth,

Nefertiti
10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Agree 100%

Agree 200% because frankly I don't think I would ever have much to do with the kind of people in this community if it weren't for the fact that we share our support of Ron Paul.

0zzy
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM

Well now you just made me sad again ;)

Vaughn
10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Its not terrible, actually made me laugh...which was probably not the intent but whatever. I think it will be fine, I am glad they mentioned his opposition to the war. I was worried they wouldn’t. My advice if you didn't like it would be to make your own commercial! If its good maybe the campaign will use it.

Van Damme
10-27-2007, 03:53 PM
The guy at the end holding the slimjim and saying "He's catchin' on I'm telling you"

was ridiculous.

blamx8
10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Wow, Cheese in a can.

It seems like some "fantastic" voice inflections from a bunch of high school thesbians. I'm reminded of the lame ads that run on the radio around here for a mortgage company. I turn off the radio when they come on.

I rated it high on youtube though because I saw a bunch of 1 star ratings and it made me mad.

MyKillK
10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
That ad was terrible

TooConservative
10-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Agree 100%

LOL.

Karsten
10-27-2007, 04:00 PM
That ad was terrible

Actually, the ad was great. Watch it again.

joenaab
10-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I thought the ad was AWFUL. It hurts just to think about it. I called the campaign to share my thoughts. How can they open with a guy saying, "I don't agree with..."? That's so negative. And the people are so cheesy and the lines have no passion and no spontaneity. And, most of all, where is Ron Paul?

I don't understand why scripts and ideas aren't first circulated within the community to test market before production. Or, produce a few and let us provide some feedback before wasting all our precious contributions showing this thing.

Drknows
10-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Actually, the ad was great. Watch it again.

Haha I did and i crack up laughing at the "hes catching on im telling ya" part each time.

ValidusCustodiae
10-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I have watched it about 6 times now, and it gets better every time. Nothing to write home about, but it isn't total garbage.

Real testimonials would be better, I think.

ValidusCustodiae
10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
What is he catching on, anyway? I'd say it is the rest of America that is catching on!

Eric21ND
10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I just don't know what to think...I'm depressed now.

asdf
10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Cant stand the ad. Horrible and very annoying.

joenaab
10-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Fuck yeah, American. I am getting sick of the whiners, and the psuedo-leaders yelling "charge!" to flood our campaign offices with thier phone calls of amateur commercial direction advice and spam up their email with complaints about which state Ron Paul is in, and why isn't he raising more money.

The campaign has better things to do then read a bunch of know-it-alls' opinions.

Who are you to tell us that we can't call campaign HQ to voice our opinions? It's our money that's being spent on this. Its our combined effort that's brought the campaign to where it is today. We have a voice in this. This commercial is about as amateur as it gets and there are many professional video producers and artists among his supporters. Plus, you don't have to be a commercial producer to know what is and isn't a good commercial. Give me a break. This commercial is weak and uninspiring. For every person who likes it a dozen will be turned off.

richard1984
10-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Yeah.
Everybody's a critic.... :rolleyes:

Perhaps that's kind of the point. The media has been characterizing him as the "fringe" candidate--and outsider who has no chance of winning. Hopefully this commercial will put him in the same (but better) light as the rest of the candidates.

Agree 100%

Ha! Yes. That is probably a good thing! :D
Seriously though...I definitely don't particularly value the opinion of many of the people on here (especially more recently--though there are exceptions of course, such as yourself).
Drama, drama, drama...gripe, bitch, moan, argue..."this is what should happen"..."no, this is what should happen"...etc. Ya know? ;)

goldstandard
10-27-2007, 04:18 PM
It's horrible. I guess we know what they want to achieve with it and that it is only an introduction...but

1. Why doesn't Ron smile????:mad:
2. Why start with a negative comment??????:eek:
3. It's all so fake!!!:(

Remember it is for a FIRST IMPRESSION!!!
It. Is. Bad.

max
10-27-2007, 04:19 PM
my god that sucked!!!! It starts off with a guy apologizing for supporting RP!!!!!

Aravoth...please submit your resume to the campaign and help these clowns.

Romney and Rudy are WAY ahead in NH.....a cheesy ad like this isnt gonna take their votes away.....We need ATTACK ads based on truth and substance...not this artificial fluffy bullshit...

I'm totally disappointed

spiteface
10-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Agree 100%

LOL, agree. It would have been a hit here if it had the V character running around the city doing whatever and at the end he rips the mask off and it's Ron Paul and he says "I'm Ron Paul and I approve this message."

Lyn
10-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Please understand that this ad is geared toward a very specific segment of NH. If you live in many parts of this country you would find it hard to believe that these are real people. The people in NH, especially as you get farther away from Mass. are like this. Hell, it reminds me of quite a few of my family. Their passion is not as in your face as in the rest of the country. Some of you are basing your comments on what you expect to see in ads in CA or NY and NH is not that place. I grew up in NH and am moving back soon. If I had seen this ad as someone who had never lived there I think I would be more disapproving of the ad. It is not my favorite ad but there may be some elements of the ad that make more sense if you know NH.

Disclaimer: I have no ad experience and I have not run a political campaign. I approve this message.

michaeldk
10-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Please understand that this ad is geared toward a very specific segment of NH. If you live in many parts of this country you would find it hard to believe that these are real people. The people in NH, especially as you get farther away from Mass. are like this. Hell, it reminds me of quite a few of my family. Their passion is not as in your face as in the rest of the country. Some of you are basing your comments on what you expect to see in ads in CA or NY and NH is not that place. I grew up in NH and am moving back soon. If I had seen this ad as someone who had never lived there I think I would be more disapproving of the ad. It is not my favorite ad but there may be some elements of the ad that make more sense if you know NH.

Disclaimer: I have no ad experience and I have not run a political campaign. I approve this message.

I really hope you're right, but still, even in NH they cannot want to see bad actors? I mean; 'live free or die' and those people just seem to be doing neither of those.

aravoth
10-27-2007, 04:37 PM
I was going to post something long winded, but I'll simply say this.

Burying it on youtube by rating it one star. Posting the campaigns number on the channel and telling people to call to have it pulled. E-mailing with the same intent. And now, some of you jackasses are talking about not donating to the campaign, and instead putting money to the PAC's.

Un-fucking-believable. I don't know what the hell is going on in your heads right now.

DrNoZone
10-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Wow, this was the most HORRIBLE ad I've seen! I can't believe our money paid for this canned, contrived, scripted crap! At least 75% of the people in that ad seemed scripted. Do you REALLY have to script Ron Paul supporters? No! Which means that these were likely paid actors.

Yuck, that really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm really upset that this is what my donations are being spent on. I sure hope the campaign is reading these forums and I sure hope they get a clue about this ad! I can only imagine how much money they spent filming this garbage. Give me a film crew and a roomfull of Ron Paul supporters and I'll give you the most convincing ad you've ever seen!

Throwback280s
10-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Looked like a commercial from the 80's.

RP4ME
10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
painful more painful than watchimg Micheal's antics on TEH OFFICE

I Am Weasel
10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
somebody please tell me this ad hasn't ran yet.

maxmerkel
10-27-2007, 04:43 PM
is there any way to convince the campaign to let US create a new ad ?

i still cannot believe they are spending a million on airing this crap.

propanes
10-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I encourage everyone to rate the youtube video 1 star. The campaign may get the message the ad doesn't work.

From the home page of HQ. Watch the vid first before reading my brief opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8

It seems a bit canned to me.

Energy
10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the "I don't agree with everything he says but at least he's honest and you know where he stands" a line the Bush campaign used for 2004?

max
10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
The ad does NOTHING to differentaiate RP from the socialists he is running against.

There is ZERO emotional contect to go along with ZERO intellectual content. Who is the "target audience" here?....Zombies?

Absent any meaningfull differentiation, the braindead market (which this ad targets) will just stay with the frontruning Mitt and Rudy.

What a lost opportunity this is. awful...just plain awful..

Buchanan won NH by ATTACKING Dole. The attack ads also generated tons of secondary media coverage themselves.

This shitty fluff will not take a single vote away from Rudy/Romney.

adpierce
10-27-2007, 04:46 PM

It doesn't matter whether you're old or young you can look at an ad and tell whether it was a well done professional advertisement. This seriously looks like something that took only a half an afternoon to film and edit... if that. It says something about how much effort and creativity was put into this advertisement, the message could be the same, but it could be smoother, and have the acting could come off less fake. Talk all you will about focus groups, but if all the other videos were filmed with the same quality acting and contrived scripts, then of course this one could win.

me3
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I've watched it a few more times, and my take is that it is a fairly low key ad.

But the problem, beyond the message, that I think a lot of people are having is that it is so terribly produced. A cheesy message is one thing, but the actors and the way Dr. Paul is presented at the beginning really was not very well done.

I can buy the different demographic point of view, but that doesnt mean the ad had to sound mechanical.

The delivery of the ad, not the message seems to be the issue.

Oh well, we all better hustle our butts to keep campaigning because HQ needs plenty of our help.

The Only Woj
10-27-2007, 04:53 PM
why didn't they key out the blue screen like this?

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6634/rpadum2.th.jpg (http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rpadum2.jpg)

richard1984
10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
I was going to post something long winded, but I'll simply say this.

Burying it on youtube by rating it one star. Posting the campaigns number on the channel and telling people to call to have it pulled. E-mailing with the same intent. And now, some of you jackasses are talking about not donating to the campaign, and instead putting money to the PAC's.

Un-fucking-believable. I don't know what the hell is going on in your heads right now.

Thank you for that, aravoth. Your opinion is very much respected around here, so I hope they listen!

trispear
10-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I couldn't watch the whole thing, but my problem with it is this:

Ron Paul in the beginning with an irritating blue screen. I get it, it's to show only him so you can focus on his face, I guess. But it says low-budget, not professional.

The first guy say "I don't agree with him on everything, but he's honest." Yuck. I have the same sentiment, but it's not an ad.

Please, spend our money on something better and more polished. Don't make the movement look like the B movie of campaigns with this.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if this is targetted in New Hampshire -- I think one good thing to do would be to list the person's name and where they're from in NH (if they are from NH) as to personalize it to that state and make the people seem more real.

EvoPro
All that needs to be said:

Ron Paul knows how to beat the establishment.

There will be more ads.

maxmerkel
why didn't they key out the blue screen like this?

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6634/rpadum2.th.jpg (http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rpadum2.jpg)

exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is just a little thing, but i would make the ad 10 times better.

EVERY aspect of this ad is just SO bad, it really hurts seeing it.

(i'm getting angrier by the second)

propanes
10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know if Pat Buchanan won New Hampshire with similarly bad ads?

aravoth
10-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I encourage everyone to rate the youtube video 1 star. The campaign may get the message the ad doesn't work.

what the fuck is your problem? I've seen video's all over youtube that are complete shit, with dismembered bodies and dead soldiers strewn all over the place get better ratings than that. You guys are assholes. I'm so fucking pissed off at some of you right now. I can't believe the bullshit half of you are spewing.