PDA

View Full Version : How does one become a delegate to the national GOP convention?

PaulConventionWV
05-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Ok, so I've already done this on the state level, so I know basically how that works. I'm curious how I can become a delegate to the national GOP convention, though. I'm not clear on how this works, or how they are chosen. Can someone enlighten me on the significance of becoming a delegate and how I can do this?

Thanks in advance. I'm really curious, as I've been to the state GOP convention as a delegate, and I'm wonder what it would take to take it to the next level.

Levi

P.S. can you be both a state and national delegate at the same time?

torchbearer
05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
it is different by state, but usually you become a state delegate before becoming a national delegate.

Gigaplex
05-12-2011, 09:49 PM
As torchbearer said, it can be different from state to state but let me tell you what I've seen in Iowa just to give you an idea.

At the caucus (precinct level) I became a delegate to the county convention. Then I got elected at the country convention to be a district delegate and also a state delegate. After the district convention, there was another district convention before the final state convention but this second district convention was really only people going to the state convention. I think it was the night before the state convention. At this second mini district convention, several people came up and gave speeches and we had to pick a few of them to be national delegates.

I only saw one person I know try for the national delegation that way. The speeches were pretty short and they talk about what political activism they have done, why they are passionate, etc. It really just depends on the audience and what they expect so you really should talk to an insider to get a feel for how you need to tailor you speech. I remember there also being a problem with someone not being on the list of speakers that was at each table so it is important to talk to people and find out what the process is and who you need to inform about what and when. The process can even change each year so you really have to be talking with people in the party or some fellow Ron Paul or CFL people that have the inside scoop. There are some things you might not be told to do but absolutely need to do. For instance, some people showed up early and put information sheets on all the tables highlighting their experience, dedication, etc. Others did not realize this was something they could do.

In Iowa last time around, the Iowa Christian Alliance was basically in control of the GOP. So at the state convention they presented a slate. The idea was that a certain portion of the national delegates would be from the slate and the rest would be from the delegate elections at the mini district convention the previous night. There was no guarantee that this had to happen this way though. They could have gone full slate and ignored the elections from the previous night. If you have a majority at the state convention, you can just about do whatever you want.

This type of thing might not be public knowledge but you should know about it in advance as we did. Is there a dominant organization in your state? Get to know them fast. The people on this slate did not have to be state delegates or even county delegates. These people did not worry about getting elected. Drew Ivers and I think Dave Fischer got on the slate despite them being Ron Paul fans. You see they can't be total dicks because they will want your support down the road so they let a couple Ron Paul people on.

So that was Iowa. Iowa might be completely different this year. Maybe the CFL will dominate instead of the ICA and we will have a Ron Paul slate. There might not even be a slate. For your state, I'm sure it is different but this gives you an idea of the type of thing that happens. It is actually quite interesting to see the whole thing play out.

If you really have an interest in this, let CFL and the Ron Paul campaign know (once the campaign gets rolling) and they will likely help guide you. I would suggest you start reading Robert's Rules and then also read the GOP rules for the state convention for 2008 and the most updated rules as well. Keep in mind that the process may be different on non-presidential-election-years. If you don't know the rules, people can screw you over and you may miss taking advantage of certain situations. If you really want to go all out, get on the Rules Committee at the lower levels of the caucus if you have such a thing and that will get you some good experience. You could also do things between now and then that will appeal to the audience like helping out with a second amendment organization or tea party or whatever in addition to the Ron Paul campaign.

Paul4Prez
05-12-2011, 10:48 PM
This site has a lot of good info on delegates, conventions, primaries, etc:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/R-DSVE.phtml

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/R-Alloc.phtml

Austin
05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
In my state the national delegates are elected in two ways.

The first method is via the congressional district caucuses, which are made up of the state delegates within each district. The executive committee in that district recommends a slate, which is undebatable and cannot be amended. In order to nominate someone, the slate has to be defeated with a majority vote. From then, nominations are taken from the floor. 3 RNC delegates and alternate delegates from each congressional district are elected in this manner.

The second method is via the state caucus. This caucus is comprised of all of the state delegates. The procedure is the same. The number of at-large delegates is determined by RNC rules.

Finally, there is a third method you can become an RNC delegate. The 3 party leaders are automatically RNC delegates.

This process varies by state. In some states, you file with the secretary of state and you are on the ballot to become an RNC delegate.

PaulConventionWV
05-13-2011, 09:33 AM
As torchbearer said, it can be different from state to state but let me tell you what I've seen in Iowa just to give you an idea.

At the caucus (precinct level) I became a delegate to the county convention. Then I got elected at the country convention to be a district delegate and also a state delegate. After the district convention, there was another district convention before the final state convention but this second district convention was really only people going to the state convention. I think it was the night before the state convention. At this second mini district convention, several people came up and gave speeches and we had to pick a few of them to be national delegates.

I only saw one person I know try for the national delegation that way. The speeches were pretty short and they talk about what political activism they have done, why they are passionate, etc. It really just depends on the audience and what they expect so you really should talk to an insider to get a feel for how you need to tailor you speech. I remember there also being a problem with someone not being on the list of speakers that was at each table so it is important to talk to people and find out what the process is and who you need to inform about what and when. The process can even change each year so you really have to be talking with people in the party or some fellow Ron Paul or CFL people that have the inside scoop. There are some things you might not be told to do but absolutely need to do. For instance, some people showed up early and put information sheets on all the tables highlighting their experience, dedication, etc. Others did not realize this was something they could do.

In Iowa last time around, the Iowa Christian Alliance was basically in control of the GOP. So at the state convention they presented a slate. The idea was that a certain portion of the national delegates would be from the slate and the rest would be from the delegate elections at the mini district convention the previous night. There was no guarantee that this had to happen this way though. They could have gone full slate and ignored the elections from the previous night. If you have a majority at the state convention, you can just about do whatever you want.

This type of thing might not be public knowledge but you should know about it in advance as we did. Is there a dominant organization in your state? Get to know them fast. The people on this slate did not have to be state delegates or even county delegates. These people did not worry about getting elected. Drew Ivers and I think Dave Fischer got on the slate despite them being Ron Paul fans. You see they can't be total dicks because they will want your support down the road so they let a couple Ron Paul people on.

So that was Iowa. Iowa might be completely different this year. Maybe the CFL will dominate instead of the ICA and we will have a Ron Paul slate. There might not even be a slate. For your state, I'm sure it is different but this gives you an idea of the type of thing that happens. It is actually quite interesting to see the whole thing play out.

If you really have an interest in this, let CFL and the Ron Paul campaign know (once the campaign gets rolling) and they will likely help guide you. I would suggest you start reading Robert's Rules and then also read the GOP rules for the state convention for 2008 and the most updated rules as well. Keep in mind that the process may be different on non-presidential-election-years. If you don't know the rules, people can screw you over and you may miss taking advantage of certain situations. If you really want to go all out, get on the Rules Committee at the lower levels of the caucus if you have such a thing and that will get you some good experience. You could also do things between now and then that will appeal to the audience like helping out with a second amendment organization or tea party or whatever in addition to the Ron Paul campaign.

That's perfect for me since I just did an interview with the National Rifle Association and will likely become a telemarketer for the NRA, which is very pro-2nd amendment. My state didn't have any conventions lower than the state convention, so it's really just a matter of getting elected to do that and then I guess we'll see from there. You mentioned getting in contact with the RP campaign, though. What's the best way to do that, and how should I bring it up? Thanks.

erowe1
05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Ok, so I've already done this on the state level, so I know basically how that works. I'm curious how I can become a delegate to the national GOP convention, though. I'm not clear on how this works, or how they are chosen. Can someone enlighten me on the significance of becoming a delegate and how I can do this?

Thanks in advance. I'm really curious, as I've been to the state GOP convention as a delegate, and I'm wonder what it would take to take it to the next level.

Levi

P.S. can you be both a state and national delegate at the same time?

Check your state party rules. They might be available at their website.