PDA

View Full Version : Obama: "Nothing More Important" Than A Government Job

bobbyw24
05-12-2011, 10:41 AM
President Obama responds to a woman who was laid off from her government job: "Let me just first of all say that workers like you, for the federal, state, and local governments, are so important for our vital services. And it frustrates me sometimes when people talk about 'government jobs' as if somehow those are worth less than private sector jobs. I think there is nothing more important than working on behalf of the American people."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/05/12/obama_there_is_nothing_more_important_than_a_gover nment_job.html

oyarde
05-12-2011, 10:57 AM
What would he know about working on behalf of the American people ??

goRPaul
05-12-2011, 10:59 AM

+rep

Kludge
05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Obama's right. A government worker takes money from the USG while a private sector worker contributes money to the USG. Therefor, it is the public employee who works on behalf of the American people by increasing pressure on the USG's house of cards it uses to maintain its illegitimate power over us. The private sector workers are those attempting to hold the current administration of the United States up.

Brian4Liberty
05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
That's one way to look at it. Sounds like "working on behalf of the American people" is rewarding in itself, so like charity, it should be voluntary and unpaid. Oh, but then Obama says that they need to be paid more than the private sector to attract workers. Guess "working on behalf of the American people" isn't all it's cut out to be. And with true unemployment at around 25%, he thinks it is hard to find employees?

Humanae Libertas
05-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Don't we all work for the government now?

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM

+2

gls
05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I wonder how long it took them to find a government employee who had been laid off??

ChaosControl
05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I think there is nothing more important than working on behalf of the American people.

This may be true, but then very few, if any, government works are actually working on behalf of the American people.

Standing Like A Rock
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I wonder how long it took them to find a government employee who had been laid off??

+1

Stary Hickory
05-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Government jobs would not even exist if you did not threaten to shoot people unless they paid your wages, quite freaking obviously by the very fact that nobody will voluntarily support these government jobs it demonstrates that they are worth less in every aspect than free market jobs.

Stary Hickory
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
This may be true, but then very few, if any, government works are actually working on behalf of the American people.

If they were then they would be paid voluntarily. This is the problem. If they cannot make their case amongst their peers that the services they provide are worth supporting is it moral to force people to support jobs and then claim you are serving them?

It's absurd!

QueenB4Liberty
05-12-2011, 04:52 PM

I would say more government workers are working against the American people rather than for us.

ChaosControl
05-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I would say more government workers are working against the American people rather than for us.

I certainly agree, TSA is a big example.

mrsat_98
05-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Almost as long as it took to find one that worked.

Carehn
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Don't we all work for the government now?

Yes. Directly or indirectly but yes.

Kylie
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
If they were then they would be paid voluntarily. This is the problem. If they cannot make their case amongst their peers that the services they provide are worth supporting is it moral to force people to support jobs and then claim you are serving them?

It's absurd!

Yes!

It's condescending the way some act like what they do is a favor that you should be happy to pay for. Not all, but some. You've put it in a very good way, I may borrow this to use tomorrow, if that's okay.

Pericles
05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
What would he know about a private sector job, since AFAIK, he has never had one.

oyarde
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
What would he know about a private sector job, since AFAIK, he has never had one.

Yes , that would be most helpful to executive positions .

cubical
05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
They don't work for the american people, they work for a paycheck!!!