PDA

View Full Version : More than Half of Recent War Vets Treated by VA Are Struggling With Mental Health Problems

doodle
05-11-2011, 10:21 PM
While lot of attention is focussed on Tornadoes in the South and Japan nuke radiation, not much discussion in MSM of this:

More than Half of Recent War Vets Treated by VA Are Struggling With Mental Health Problems

by Joaquin Sapien
ProPublica, May 11, 2011, 11:31 a.m.

Nearly 18,000 new patients were treated for mental health issues at VA facilities in the last three months of last year—the most recent time period for which data is available— upping the total to more than 330,000 [1].

LINK (http://www.propublica.org/article/more-than-half-of-recent-war-vets-struggling-with-mental-health-problems)

pcosmar
05-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Struggling with? Or being diagnosed with?

It is a backdoor to removing 2nd Amendment rights from those trained in the use of weaponry.
A have no doubt that some deal with the scars of war, Some better than others.
But I also wonder how much of this is related to the Veteran Disarmament Bill.

I haz a skepticism.

doodle
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Interesting point you raise, didn't think of that before.

BamaAla
05-11-2011, 10:43 PM

It is a backdoor to removing 2nd Amendment rights from those trained in the use of weaponry.

I haz a skepticism.

Wow. I've never even thought about that. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Pericles
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM

I haz a skepticism.

That ^^^ I was in a couple of weeks ago, and they wouldn't let you out until you had answered questions such as "Do you have nightmares?" "Do you have periods of feeling sad?" and such. Like I don't know whare all of that is going.

Since I was approved for another firearm this week, at least I'm still good to go.

But give them time ......

Carehn
05-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Im would guess a large percent of them had mental health problems before the military.

low preference guy
05-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Im would guess a large percent of them had mental health problems before the military.

The thought that crossed my mind is that many of them might have killed innocent people and can't let that go.

Pericles
05-11-2011, 11:02 PM

No problem - I've got spares for my war buddies:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/A2-3.jpg

Kylie
05-12-2011, 07:24 AM
The thought that crossed my mind is that many of them might have killed innocent people and can't let that go.

Yup. This is what I've been telling people too.

Cognitive dissonance to the point of instability.

Aratus
05-12-2011, 09:17 AM
soldier's heart and our Civil War...!
guys who wore the union blues and
the auld dixie grays all went to their
graves with ghosts after spending
afternoons in their rocking chairs...
ww2 had its own terminology also.
currently, easily half of our veterans
are 'combat fatigue' walking wounded
from our bloody & long War on Terror...?

ninepointfive
05-12-2011, 09:28 AM
No problem - I've got spares for my war buddies:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/A2-3.jpg

a friend in need is a friend indeed. but a friend with AR15 is better!

Acala
05-12-2011, 10:11 AM
So we subject a teenager who has barely begun to get an idea about life to the highly refined brainwashing of boot camp, transport him across the planet, dump him in a totally unfamilar and hostile envronment where his only friends are people who have had the same brainwashing as him, subject him to regular mortal threat, encourage him to inflict massive and often indiscriminate deadly and gruesome violence on other human beings, discourage him from showing any signs of weakness or mercy, give him virtually no training to allow his nervous system to absorb trauma without damage, then, after a couple years of that treatment, push him out the door onto mainstreet USA. And people are skeptical that many of these folks have mental problems?

Check out the suicide rate.

mczerone
05-12-2011, 10:26 AM

I haz a skepticism.

Of the people that I've known who have actively served and saw what you see during war, I'd say that about half had serious problems. I'm talking about not knowing right from wrong (persuasion from violence), being prone to 'snap' for little or no reason, and having no respect for the value of working for rewards (they think they should just be able to demand results).

I think a combination of the military attracting "the best of the worst" to serve, and then what they teach and expose these recruits to definitely adds to the level of maladjustment in these individuals.

I know you're a super-skeptic, but I'd guess that, if anything, they are UNDER-diagnosing actual disorders to save face.

mczerone
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
a friend in need is a friend indeed. but a friend with AR15 is better!

Or dead (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/87937.html) if the SWAT team executes a baseless no-knock warrant.

doodle
05-13-2011, 09:48 PM
VIETNAM NIGHTMARES REVISITED: Iraq news brings on relapses for earlier

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110513/NEWS0106/305130081/WOUNDS-WAR-VIETNAM-NIGHTMARES-REVISITED-Iraq-news-brings-relapses-earlier-war-s-vets?odyssey=nav|head