PDA

View Full Version : Opt_Out

lx43
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
What do you'll think of Ron Paul adopting an opt-out policy as the theme of his campaign? Where people opt-out of paying federal income, FICA, and capital gains taxes for those that want no part of the system; and opt-out of being regulated.

I know Ron introduced an opt-out where you still pay 10% in income taxes; I personally want to opt-out entirely.

Lets face it we are never going to end all the govt spending unless we can gradually get out of it (I would love to end it all at once).

Teaser Rate
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I think it’s an interesting thought experiment, but I don’t think it should be presented as an integral part of the campaign’s platform. There are just too many practical details which couldn’t be explained properly within the environment of a Republican primary.

lx43
05-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Can you give specifics?

I have asked several senior citiziens who are adament about getting their SS/Medicare but would be ok with allowing young people to opt-out of the system.

Danke
05-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Don't wait for a politician to do it for you:

http://losthorizons.com/CtCforFree.pdf

Teaser Rate
05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I'll use the most straight forward example of Social Security. Current taxes pay for the benefits of current recipients, and the program is already is a financial hole. If you start allowing young people to opt-out, then it will exacerbate that problem even further, and run up the deficit. It could also start a chain reaction where almost everyone eventually opts out because they realize the system is broke, and grandma is left eating cat food.

-----

You could give me an explanation why my objection is flawed (and feel free to do so), but my point is that it probably isn't the kind of response which can be conveyed in a 30 second soundbite. Ergo, focus on other, more straightforward issues and leave the more abstract issues for another time.

IDefendThePlatform
05-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I've had this same thought, but believe it's probably a better platform plank for RPs second term in the white house :)

I actually think the idea of opting out, or making taxes voluntary, is just about our only chance of liberty in the next several decades. It's just too tough to get everyone to give up their favorite government program one at a time. But if we can somehow get Ron elected and he can shrink government and get the economy roaring again then maybe he'd have a chance at it in his second term.

I think the idea does have some political potential though, as it is a simple and straight forward argument to make. And most people would at least get the concept "Don't you think you should have a choice?" "why be forced to pay?" etc..

lx43
05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I'll use the most straight forward example of Social Security. Current taxes pay for the benefits of current recipients, and the program is already is a financial hole. If you start allowing young people to opt-out, then it will exacerbate that problem even further, and run up the deficit. It could also start a chain reaction where almost everyone eventually opts out because they realize the system is broke, and grandma is left eating cat food.

-----

You could give me an explanation why my objection is flawed (and feel free to do so), but my point is that it probably isn't the kind of response which can be conveyed in a 30 second soundbite. Ergo, focus on other, more straightforward issues and leave the more abstract issues for another time.

Freedom is straight forward!

1. Opt-outing allows people the chance to have a "REAL" say in how our govt spends our hard earned money and not this phony election voting every four years where nothing gets done. It allows you the opportunity to say no I don't like this program or that program by with holding funding or giving fundin.

2. I don't think there would be a mad rush for the exits if people are allowed to opt-out. Sure programs will have to be cut, but you can cut smartly based upon how many people opt out. Ex cut benefits for the wealthy first, raise the retirement age, encourage people to stay in the work force longer and at the same time allow other people to optout.

Sentient Void
05-14-2011, 12:08 AM
I absolutely agree... I actually started a thread on this in the Philosophy forum and expanded on it.. explained why I thought it was so important, and what the logical / economic implications are of it...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?282303-SOLUTION-Opting-Out-How-to-Achieve-Libertarian-Society-in-the-Context-of-the-State

lx43
05-14-2011, 12:24 AM
I think opt-out should be put in the constitution so that its a check on the three branches of govt from continually increasing their on power.

lx43
05-14-2011, 12:25 AM
I absolutely agree... I actually started a thread on this in the Philosophy forum and expanded on it.. explained why I thought it was so important, and what the logical / economic implications are of it...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?282303-SOLUTION-Opting-Out-How-to-Achieve-Libertarian-Society-in-the-Context-of-the-State

I like your idea of putting it with the federal, state, and local govt.