PDA

View Full Version : McCain Proposes Indefinite Detention Without Trial for Citizens

Occam's Banana
05-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Full story HERE (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/3344-mccain-proposes-indefinite-detention-without-trial-for-citizens)

Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) has introduced a bill that would allow the President to imprison an unlimited number of American citizens (as well as foreigners) indefinitely without trial. Known as The Enemy Belligerent Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution Act of 2010, or S. 3081, the bill authorizes the President to deny a detainee a trial by jury simply by designating that person an “enemy belligerent.” The bill, which has eight cosponsors, explicitly names U.S. citizens as among those who can be detained indefinitely without trialSo ... how long will it be before supporters of nullification, non-interventionism, etc. are deemed to be "enemy belligerents" ... ?

Mini-Me
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Good Lord, the government is totally out of control. This thread reminds me of one from just a few days ago, where some argued that Anti-Federalist's fears are unrealistic (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?290537-To-all-those-quot-high-fiving-quot-the-death-of-bin-Laden...). Just who is being unrealistic now?

Aldanga
05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
BTW, that story is from last April. It looks like it died in committee.

Mini-Me
05-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Good. It's still only a matter of time though, unless we turn things around...these proposals never die for real. They're just attempted again and again until they pass.

Lucille
05-11-2011, 06:18 PM
This bill was the reason David Nolan ran for Senate in 2010.

Occam's Banana
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Aack! This story is actually over a year old!

I got the story from a facebook friend's post, and it pissed me off so much I posted it here before I had fully digested it.

Sorry for the false alarm. The fact that such a thing was ever even considered is pretty damn scary, though.

Things need to change a LOT ... and SOON ... or we are all well & truly doomed.

dannno
05-11-2011, 06:25 PM
At some point Godwin's Law flies out the window, are we there yet??

anaconda
05-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Ron should specifically bring this up in a debate mock and ridicule McCain as a pathetic traitor and an enemy of the Republic.

Simon
05-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't think this bill has been re-introduced this session...yet. David Nolan (RIP) attacked McCain with SB 3081 several times during the Arizona senatorial debates last year. McCain never responded to him at all.

The list of co-sponsors included Tea Party darling Scott Brown. hxxp://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3081

Seraphim
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Full story HERE (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/3344-mccain-proposes-indefinite-detention-without-trial-for-citizens)
So ... how long will it be before supporters of nullification, non-interventionism, etc. are deemed to be "enemy belligerents" ... ?

Already done. Make your peace.

QueenB4Liberty
05-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Ron should specifically bring this up in a debate mock and ridicule McCain as a pathetic traitor and an enemy of the Republic.

McCain isn't running this time.

anaconda
05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
McCain isn't running this time.

Excellent point. He should bring it up as a metaphor for what's ailing America and indict anyone on the stage with guilt by association. I'll bet most of the clowns on the stage can be quoted as either cosponsoring the bill or speaking in support of it.

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Indefinite war, indefinite detention, indefinite budgets. The only thing that seems definite any more is our Constitution's place on the Endangered Species List.

Simon
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
The Constitution has been indefinitely suspended.

anaconda
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Indefinite war, indefinite detention, indefinite budgets. The only thing that seems definite any more is our Constitution's place on the Endangered Species List.

Wow! You need to get this to the official campaign for inclusion in the next debate talking points!

KCIndy
05-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah, the bill is no longer a threat for THIS session, at least....

What I really and truly find sad is that McCain (a politician whom I have NEVER liked, just to be clear) who was a former POW held and tortured by the North Vietnamese, should have been leading the charge AGAINST such nonsense, based on his personal experience with being "detained" indefinitely. Can he honestly not see the irony here?

torchbearer
05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I think McCain needs to spend more time in a hole in vietnam.

Seraphim
05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Perhaps his heart is out for revenge and he is willing to sell his soul to make someone else feel the pain he felt.

It is the human condition to be weak. So it seems...

Yeah, the bill is no longer a threat for THIS session, at least....

What I really and truly find sad is that McCain (a politician whom I have NEVER liked, just to be clear) who was a former POW held and tortured by the North Vietnamese, should have been leading the charge AGAINST such nonsense, based on his personal experience with being "detained" indefinitely. Can he honestly not see the irony here?

anaconda
05-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Perhaps his heart is out for revenge and he is willing to sell his soul to make someone else feel the pain he felt.

It is the human condition to be weak. So it seems...

^This.

Agorism
05-12-2011, 04:46 AM
bump

Agorism
05-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Drudge bomb!

I just sent this to drudge. It would be a great headline for us

cindy25
05-12-2011, 05:47 AM
there seems to be an unusual amount of internet chatter regarding this in the past week

Agorism
05-12-2011, 05:51 AM
O this is old...nm

acptulsa
05-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Wow! You need to get this to the official campaign for inclusion in the next debate talking points!

Thanks, but how? We never figured out how to be part of the team last round, and I still haven't figured out if it's possible this round either.

Simon
05-12-2011, 07:59 AM
This bill has been getting more publicity this year than it did last year, when it was needed. Few people were aware of it when it was active. SB 3081 could have, and *should* have hurt McCain tremendously in the 2010 election.