PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Newsletter

GunnyFreedom
05-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Has anybody ever wanted to make a weekly newsletter? :)

aclove
05-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Well, shit, I do now.

Oldsouljer
05-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Five years ago, when I was just an activist citizen, I used to crank out a one page agitation sheet (in the spirit of Thomas Paine) called "The Brassfield Minuteman" and distributed it all over southeastern Granville County. Just to keep folks informed as to what Brad Miller and fellow commie Doug Berger were REALLY doing. Good times. Since then, I've become the political boss of my local turf and just don't have time to publish it anymore. Not that it matters, folks around here have really wised up as last November's poll results will attest.

GunnyFreedom
05-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I got press now asking to be copied on my weekly newsletter. I wanted to do once since day one and haven't been able to yet. :(

Southron
05-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I got press now asking to be copied on my weekly newsletter. I wanted to do once since day one and haven't been able to yet. :(

Not enough funds, time, or help?

lx43
05-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Good idea Gunny! I see this as a way to educate your constituents on your beliefs, but be careful to not allow someone else to write your material without you rading it first and giving the approval, a la Ron Pauls news letter controversy.

I have high hopes for you Gunny! Maybe even Gov. Gunny lol

GunnyFreedom
05-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Not enough funds, time, or help?

Time and help really, I have enough time for a column really, but a newsletter needs to be so much more with constituent updates, bills coming and going, voting records, etc. It'll be mostly electronic so cost is not actually a factor. I plan to mail it from the new domain I just picked up cfanc.com to a list I am actively compiling, and generating significant interest.

GunnyFreedom
05-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Just had a town hall today in Louisburg that went way better than I expected it to. 6 to 8 Democrats out of 30ish attendees, and even the opposition was impressed with what we did, and how it was more about them than me.

jacque
05-14-2011, 09:05 AM
You did a great job last night. I am proud!

Freedom Mom

TCE
05-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I have been wanting to help with something, preferably writing, so if you were seriously considering this, I would love to help in some way. I think something on the local level, perhaps one or more constituent letter(s)/email(s)/comment(s) and your response to it for one section (could be written by anyone, but preferably approved by you), then a hot issue of the day and a current event or something fluffy could be added. Anyway, that is what I'm imagining. Again, if you want any help on the writing of it, I would be more than happy to oblige. Thanks.

GunnyFreedom
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
I have been wanting to help with something, preferably writing, so if you were seriously considering this, I would love to help in some way. I think something on the local level, perhaps one or more constituent letter(s)/email(s)/comment(s) and your response to it for one section (could be written by anyone, but preferably approved by you), then a hot issue of the day and a current event or something fluffy could be added. Anyway, that is what I'm imagining. Again, if you want any help on the writing of it, I would be more than happy to oblige. Thanks.

Thank you!

Yeah, I'm still pretty much doing everything by myself. There's just not enough "me" to go around, and if I don't get some stuff going for constituent services, then I won't be here after November of 2012.

PBrady
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Hey Glen, I'm off for pretty much the entire summer, so whenever you're in Raleigh and need help, feel free to pm me, message me of facebook, or just text.

Cowlesy
05-17-2011, 01:46 PM
GunnyFreedom Survival Report!

Oldsouljer
05-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Just had a town hall today in Louisburg that went way better than I expected it to. 6 to 8 Democrats out of 30ish attendees, and even the opposition was impressed with what we did, and how it was more about them than me.

I gather that your expectations had something to do with the fact that the meeting was located in a part of the county which is not your strongest constituency?

GunnyFreedom
05-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I gather that your expectations had something to do with the fact that the meeting was located in a part of the county which is not your strongest constituency?

That, as well as the metric pluck tons of controversy I have been generating. The audience was a bit more R heavy than it should have been, the town hall was organized by the local county GOP org. We'll have a few more sponsored by me, but the real onslaught of town halls will be after the long session breaks in ..... August?

GunnyFreedom
05-17-2011, 11:42 PM
GunnyFreedom Survival Report!

LOL something like that -- just today (yesterday?) I got to watch Republican leadership kill one of my minor (important to my county) bills that had been folded into another bill on special elections. Those buggers REALLY don't like me...

TCE
05-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Thank you!

Yeah, I'm still pretty much doing everything by myself. There's just not enough "me" to go around, and if I don't get some stuff going for constituent services, then I won't be here after November of 2012.

For sure. If you're wanting to put the wheels into motion on this, then let's see what we can come up with. Is there any blueprint or template you were thinking of using in terms of which pieces of writing you would be interested in?

Oldsouljer
05-18-2011, 07:09 PM
LOL something like that -- just today (yesterday?) I got to watch Republican leadership kill one of my minor (important to my county) bills that had been folded into another bill on special elections. Those buggers REALLY don't like me...

sorry to hear that because it makes me question whether or not they'd cut off their nose to spite their face, i.e., whether they'd blow a chance to solidify the GOP in NC-49 just because of you. And to do that, they'd certainly withhold conservative voter-rich SE Granville from the 49th. To the best of my knowledge, no other surrounding district (except northern Wake and we all agree that's DOA) can lock down NC-49 for the GOP like we can. As an example of what SE Granville county can do, Chuck Stires pulled 60% of Wilton precinct in a very bad year for Republicans. Of course, if your pals on the redistricting committee insist on shoving us into GK Butterfield's 1st congressional district as I hear they are planning to do, we might be a surly, less than fully cooperative constituency to say the least, but we'll still be an effective player in local races.

GunnyFreedom
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
sorry to hear that because it makes me question whether or not they'd cut off their nose to spite their face, i.e., whether they'd blow a chance to solidify the GOP in NC-49 just because of you. And to do that, they'd certainly withhold conservative voter-rich SE Granville from the 49th. To the best of my knowledge, no other surrounding district (except northern Wake and we all agree that's DOA) can lock down NC-49 for the GOP like we can. As an example of what SE Granville county can do, Chuck Stires pulled 60% of Wilton precinct in a very bad year for Republicans. Of course, if your pals on the redistricting committee insist on shoving us into GK Butterfield's 1st congressional district as I hear they are planning to do, we might be a surly, less than fully cooperative constituency to say the least, but we'll still be an effective player in local races.

Fortunately, the RD chair and I are not only office neighbors, but friends. He was the first guy to predict me winning State House. I don't know what-all pressure will be coming down from on high, but I'm guessing that if left basically to his own devices I won't have to worry about a dem-heavy gerrymander in my district. Not that there would be any special preference or treatment, but I would be shocked to see him going along with a screw-job on me, even if leadership asked him to.

GunnyFreedom
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
For sure. If you're wanting to put the wheels into motion on this, then let's see what we can come up with. Is there any blueprint or template you were thinking of using in terms of which pieces of writing you would be interested in?

Yeah, I just got home after a solid 14 hour day, so I'm a bit thrashed, but Thursday is the last session day (it's gonna be a long one) and I can go over this in more depth with you Friday or Saturday. MAYBE Thursday if I'm not beat all to hell. Thanks!

TCE
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I just got home after a solid 14 hour day, so I'm a bit thrashed, but Thursday is the last session day (it's gonna be a long one) and I can go over this in more depth with you Friday or Saturday. MAYBE Thursday if I'm not beat all to hell. Thanks!

Sounds good. Rest Up!