PDA

View Full Version : Where does Ron Paul stand on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act?

Humanae Libertas
05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
After seeing many threads lately on copyright lawsuits; the Feds illegally seizing domains without due process etc.. I would like to know where Ron Paul stands on this issue. Did he vote for the bill at the time? What are his views on Copyright/intellectual property (my Google skills aren't doing so well today :mad: )?

I know he was in congress at the time of the passing [DMCA], but since there was no voting record counted, it passed - and was signed by corporatist Bill Clinton.

Aldanga
05-11-2011, 01:26 PM
From what I'm reading, it was passed by voice vote.

Here's an interview with CNET (http://news.cnet.com/Technology-Voters-Guide-Ron-Paul/2100-1028_3-6224161.html) where Ron Paul touched on the issue.

Wesker1982
05-11-2011, 01:49 PM
"I would tend to protect the rights of consumers to make a backup copy of materials they have purchased, as long as the consumers complied with any contractual obligations they incurred when purchasing the product."

In other words: honor contracts. Good thing someone downloading a song or movie never agreed to the original contract, they cannot be binded to it. :)

Humanae Libertas
05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Ok thanks, makes sense I suppose. I see the DMCA as a big threat to internet freedom, that's why I asked.

Zippyjuan
05-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Seems to be covered in the Constitution- which Ron Paul upholds. Article One, Section 8:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

heavenlyboy34
05-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Seems to be covered in the Constitution- which Ron Paul upholds. Article One, Section 8:

Sort of. The Copyright Act took the words "limited times" and defined them as "the life of the creator+50 years"(http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/page-6.html#h-6). I don't even agree with the Constitutional section(IP is not truly "property", as a person cannot "own" an immaterial thing like an idea), but the law made it many times worse. And the DMCA is absolutely disgraceful.