PDA

View Full Version : Detroit sells crack pipes at gas stations and liquor stores

Zatch
05-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Via: http://maxkeiser.com/2011/05/11/detroit-sells-crack-pipes-at-gas-stations-and-liquor-stores/

Crack Pipes Often Disguised As Novelty Items At Stores (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/crack-pipes-often-disguised-as-novelty-items-at-stores/)

demolama
05-11-2011, 04:47 AM
There are people who still live in Detroit? I'm still surprised they have a professional football and baseball team

fisharmor
05-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Busybody tyrant caste often disguised as law enforcement

RichieLibertarian
05-11-2011, 06:39 AM
They are called love roses. Simply a novelty glass pipe with a plastic rose inside. They are sold here in nj as well

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 06:40 AM
But, crack is so expensive and most of its victims are so poor. Shouldn't the city be giving these things away?

CaseyJones
05-11-2011, 06:42 AM
dude every place sells those... ask for a brown bag special at a gas station they give you a lighter, a chore boy, and one of those in a brown bag

Krugerrand
05-11-2011, 06:43 AM
“Dollar stores, gas stations, liquor stores, virtually every store in the 6th Precinct that I did enforcement with, were given a ticket and found guilty. I’ve seen them in Allen Park, Dearborn Heights and Garden City,” says Mahalab.

Mahalab says the pipe sales are lucrative, but bring crack addicts and crime to neighborhoods.

Yup. Crack addicts pick up and move to the neighborhood that has a dollar store selling crack pipes. Who doesn't look at the nearest dollar store inventory before deciding where to go?

What's worse ... that somebody actually said that, or that somebody included it in an article without making fun of it?

whoisjohngalt
05-11-2011, 07:08 AM
But, crack is so expensive and most of its victims are so poor. Shouldn't the city be giving these things away?

Crack is expensive like Obama follows the Constitution. That is to say, not at all.

Carehn
05-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Just as the market fixed the pipe problem it also fixed the expensive crack problem with meth.

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Just as the market fixed the pipe problem it also fixed the expensive crack problem with meth.

So many free market successes we could point to, but we can't point to them because all of our free markets are black markets.

Our meetups passed around an email from a state legislator bragging about how she made hashish production punishable by life in prison. I sent her an email laughing at her. Hashish is made in order to get THC into places where it isn't grown. It's easier to ship than a bulky plant is. There's basically none in this state, as Oklahoma (along with every halfway Southern Breadbasket state) is a major, major producer. She wrote back that hashish oil is concentrated, and stronger than marijuana. I told her that this concentrated oil then gets soaked into an inert substance, and winds up no stronger than the plant from which it was derived. And congratulated her on coming up with a non-solution to a non-problem that will do absolutely nothing.

But, hey, the real drug pushers have M.D. after their names. Gotta protect them. Can't have God and Mother Nature giving them unfair competition.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-11-2011, 08:09 AM
“To avoid police detection and to try to avoid the law, they put a pen insert – (in) a glass tube, and try to evade the law, which talks about paraphernalia and stuff that has a second use,” says Mahalab.

I wonder what the law says. It may criminalize toilet paper and such.

madengr
05-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Nothing new. I'm sure people smoke tobacco out of those long tubes filled with water. Crack is an invention of necessity due to the drug war, as is meth. People probably wouldn't use it if cocaine were cheaply available. I doubt people would shoot heroin over smoking opium.

Freedom 4 all
05-11-2011, 08:40 AM

Interesting, I've never heard of someone getting busted for selling or possessing paraphernalia before. While drugs are still illegal where I come from (Canada), it's generally accepted that a ton of people do drugs and for the most part, nobody cares. As such, we actually have many stores dedicated exclusively to the sale of drug paraphernalia (everything from bongs and vaporizer pipes, to grow lights and "indoor gardening" materials). These stores are about as clandestine as Wal Mart, and usually have hilarious names like High Times or The Puffin Store.

mczerone
05-11-2011, 08:51 AM

And apples, and bag-pipes, and nearly every solid object known to man.

Johnnymac
05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
My Gas Station Convenience Store just started doing this a few months ago when they came under new owner ship "To be Used for Tobacco Products only!" haha

oh disregard I'm confusing crack with other drugs... my store sells bowls that are supposed to be used for tobacco but 98% of people that buy them in my town probably use them for token it

Roxi
05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
This has been common in every Missouri gas station since I was old enough to drive. I have on occasion asked cashiers why their company endorses crack use. :D

Roxi
05-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Interesting, I've never heard of someone getting busted for selling or possessing paraphernalia before. While drugs are still illegal where I come from (Canada), it's generally accepted that a ton of people do drugs and for the most part, nobody cares. As such, we actually have many stores dedicated exclusively to the sale of drug paraphernalia (everything from bongs and vaporizer pipes, to grow lights and "indoor gardening" materials). These stores are about as clandestine as Wal Mart, and usually have hilarious names like High Times or The Puffin Store.

I have had many friends get tickets for paraphernalia possession. Of course for it to stick in court it has to have some kind of drug residue on it. I had one friend who had a pipe break into pieces and she stuffed it in her back seat pocket. She ended up with 118 counts of PP (for each piece) and made a plea deal for it.

pcosmar
05-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Detroit sells crack pipes

Detroit does?
Or businesses sell an item that is in demand?

"you must ask the right questions"

Vessol
05-11-2011, 10:21 AM
And apples, and bag-pipes, and nearly every solid object known to man.

Don't forget soda cans.

But yeah, people would be surprised at how many things can be turned into "drug paraphernalia"

Dreamofunity
05-11-2011, 10:27 AM
They are sold in most gas stations in Florida as well.

I thought it was common place.

oyarde
05-11-2011, 10:36 AM

lol

oyarde
05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
dude every place sells those... ask for a brown bag special at a gas station they give you a lighter, a chore boy, and one of those in a brown bag

Love the picture .

oyarde
05-11-2011, 10:39 AM

And coffee filters ..

oyarde
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't forget soda cans.

But yeah, people would be surprised at how many things can be turned into "drug paraphernalia"

Soda cans were what I used as a young fellow .

Vessol
05-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Soda cans were what I used as a young fellow .

In High School I used to carry around a little piece of pcp pipe XD

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
In High School I used to carry around a little piece of pcp pipe XD

Hope you mean PVC. Really do.

I'm not breathing whatever that puts off when very warm, thanks. Aluminum can steamrollers ftw!

daviddee
05-11-2011, 11:03 AM

pcosmar
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
http://thehomewardway.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/i_robot2.jpg

." My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions."

oyarde
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM

I'm not breathing whatever that puts off when very warm, thanks. Aluminum can steamrollers ftw!

Yeah , I think he meant pvc , does not sound tasty , but who knows .

Freedom 4 all
05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I have had many friends get tickets for paraphernalia possession. Of course for it to stick in court it has to have some kind of drug residue on it. I had one friend who had a pipe break into pieces and she stuffed it in her back seat pocket. She ended up with 118 counts of PP (for each piece) and made a plea deal for it.

WTF, seriously 118 counts just because it broke?!?! That is the most retarded thing I have heard the state do so far this week, although it IS only Wednesday.

Vessol
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Lmao. Yes. A bit overtired.

But yeah. I carved a little groove at the end to hold and light stuff.

oyarde
05-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Kind of hard to imagine someone making a determination on what something originally was in 118 pc.'s

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Kind of hard to imagine someone making a determination on what something originally was in 118 pc.'s

This kind of thing always gets me in trouble. I'd have accepted no plea deal, gone to court, and challenged the prosecutor to demonstrate to the court how any one of those 118 pieces of evidence could possibly have been used to consume any kind of contraband.

Don't try to overreach on my ass. I'll make you eat it. In the press.

oyarde
05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
This kind of thing always gets me in trouble. I'd have accepted no plea deal, gone to court, and challenged the prosecutor to demonstrate to the court how any one of those 118 pieces of evidence could possibly have been used to consume any kind of contraband.

Don't try to overreach on my ass. I'll make you eat it. In the press.

I would have done same , only because I would be willing to gamble that I could pull it off...

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I would have done same , only because I would be willing to gamble that I could pull it off...

At the very, very least, I know I'd come out with one count, not 118.

coastie
05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
They are sold in most gas stations in Florida as well.

I thought it was common place.

Almost every station i know of around me, and no less than 15 head shops within an 8 mile drive.:D

In a state with the harshest personal poss penalties for Cannabis in the US, no less-
20 grams or more = Felony:eek:

Roxi
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
JOklahoma has seriously ridiculous laws regarding pot. I had a friend there get a $5,000 fine and 120 hours community service for some seeds and a few stems, and that was with a lawyer. As for the girl with the 118 counts I am almost sure it was reduced to one, but she had to pay crazy fines and lawyer fees to do so. (that was in Missouri)

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
JOklahoma has seriously ridiculous laws regarding pot.

Joke-lahoma, haven't heard that one in a minute. :) You would think they'd have more respect for one of the major pillars of the state's economy, wouldn't you?

Liberty_Mike
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Yup. Crack addicts pick up and move to the neighborhood that has a dollar store selling crack pipes. Who doesn't look at the nearest dollar store inventory before deciding where to go?

What's worse ... that somebody actually said that, or that somebody included it in an article without making fun of it?

Lol, excellent post!

Johnnymac
05-11-2011, 01:47 PM
WOW now that i think of it my gas station store was selling those little fake flower holders, haha selling crack pipes right under my nose how funny!