PDA

View Full Version : Who here supported Howard Dean?

devil21
10-27-2007, 02:53 AM
I keep seeing comparisons to RP and Dean but I dont see anything after that to compare RP to Dean other than "cyberspace" support? I am curious to see if Dean's support in 2004 is the same as RP's, if at all or even close?

(btw Im new to this pres. stuff....just wondering why I keep seeing Dean compared to RP in articles.)

NinjaPirate
10-27-2007, 02:55 AM
This is my first time voting, ever.

qsecofr
10-27-2007, 03:00 AM
My only reservation supporting Ron was the fact I voted for Bush.... twice. I really didn't want to be wrong this time and I was in serious doubt of my judgement.

This time I planned on actually reading what the candidates stood for and more importantly checking what they have actually done.

I confess I was young and more impressionable but it was a rude awakening to be sure. One I hope to atone for in 08 :D

lynnf
10-27-2007, 03:13 AM
I keep seeing comparisons to RP and Dean but I dont see anything after that to compare RP to Dean other than "cyberspace" support? I am curious to see if Dean's support in 2004 is the same as RP's, if at all or even close?

(btw Im new to this pres. stuff....just wondering why I keep seeing Dean compared to RP in articles.)

I think the reason that they are compared is that Dean had a lot of internet support, much like Dr. Paul. and that, I believe, is a big reason why the mainstream media wants to write him off - expecting Dr. Paul to fizzle like Dean did. a difference is that Dean didn't have Dr. Paul's character or his long record in Congress of proving his character. and, of course, Dean didn't have Dr. Paul's message of freedom.

lynn

Corydoras
10-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Dean really caught my attention because of his claim that Vermont avoided the huge power blackout because he insisted on their being relatively independent from the national grid. Local management always gets my attention. But I didn't vote that year.

vegetarianrpfan
10-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Remember also that Dean was very anti-war, and that was right after the Iraq invasion. Dr. Paul is anti-war (and of course was back then as well).

Many people later said that a big problem with Kerry is that he was too much like Bush when it came to Iraq-- he didn't really want to get out right away and just said it had been mishandled. Dean would have gotten us out, I believe, and would have been a better candidate, so I think many Democrats regret not supporting him over Kerry.

constituent
10-27-2007, 05:48 AM
i followed his campaign from announcement b/c i'm a politics junkie...

that being said, i hate both parties thoroughly and distrust all politicians.

probably wouldn't have known about rp, but that i grew up in his district
and have seen over time that he is a true statesman (plus my parents
always leaned on the kids once they grew up to vote for him).

SwanMaiden
10-27-2007, 06:10 AM

I have been curious about this as well. Can anyone who followed or was involved with Dean's campaign comment on how they think support for RP stacks up against support for Dean? The reason I wonder is that even though I did not follow politics in '04 I still heard a lot about Dean and his internet support and youth support and the "Deaniacs" and all that. Then it was like he fell off the face of the earth because he yelled at a rally or something. It seemed very strange to me how his support evaporated so suddenly. Not that I think it would happen to Dr. Paul, we are not scared off so easily, but I could see the media trying to make it happen.

Drknows
10-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Deans online support was nothing compared to Ron Pauls. I didn't support Dean and i knew kerry was going to get the nomination and lose.

Ron Pauls timing is perfect he has everything this country needs right now.

garrettwombat
10-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Eeeyaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

RonPaulCult
10-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I think very few of us supported Dean.

Things Dead had that Ron Paul now enjoys:

1) A strong following on the web
2) A strong youth movement
3) Lots of meetup groups (though a lot less than what Ron Paul now has - of course to be fair meetup was just starting as I recall)

What Dean had but what Ron Paul is not getting:

1) Strong media coverage and support from the MSM

Dean was on the cover of Time and Newsweek and one of them said something like "Our next president?" written across his face.

damijin
10-27-2007, 07:02 AM
There was a Dean guy on here a few months ago who made thread about why RPs campaign is superior to Deans.

Adamsa
10-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Eeeyaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

Dean! :D

brandon
10-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Dean had better fund raising succes then us, and polled much higher nationally.

Thunderbolt
10-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Dean was a statist. Not much in common with the folks here. You might as well compare Ron Paul to Richard Nixon because both campaigns use telephones.