PDA

View Full Version : Potential GOP candidates state their case on foreign policy

tsai3904
05-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Politico asked the potential GOP candidates five questions regarding foreign policy/defense and organized their responses into a matrix.

PDF Warning:
http://www.politico.com/static/PPM170_110509_chart.html

The question regarding whether or not the candidate would cut the Pentagon budget clearly separates Ron Paul and Gary Johnson from the rest (even Michele Bachmann sounds like a hawk compared to Paul/Johnson on this question).

TheNcredibleEgg
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
PDF Warning:

That's ok. I'll summarize:

"War!"

"War!"

"Israel!"

"They hate us for our freedom!"

"Fight them over there!"

"More War!"

~squeak~ "A strong national defense."

Brett85
05-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I like the fact that Bachmann spoke out against nation building recently. That's encouraging.

sailingaway
05-09-2011, 07:37 PM
I like the fact that Bachmann spoke out against nation building recently. That's encouraging.

So did Palin whom she sees as direct competition. They both are touting audit of the Fed, too. They are copying Ron so far and no further, but Palin at least has no real record on foreign policy, Bachmann has a history of votes (and not a good one). Similarly, Gary has no history and no record of coming out against the Iraq war as governor when Congress voted to abdicate war power to the president, but Ron has a record of votes. A very good record of votes.

Frankly, talk is cheap. MOST politicians seem comfortable with saying anything to be elected. It is Ron's record that is so unprecedented.

However, I personally like Bachmann, I just couldn't vote for someone who voted for the Patriot Act.

Brett85
05-09-2011, 07:51 PM
However, I personally like Bachmann, I just couldn't vote for someone who voted for the Patriot Act.

Even in the general election against Obama?

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-09-2011, 08:10 PM

You are completely stuck in the Red Blue paradigm. Like most here, we'd rather not vote ourselves a new master to rule us, we want to be autonomous, sovereign, individuals. I really do not see how today is any different than the Feudalist days, except, our Masters are caretakers instead of owners, so we tend to get fucked over even harder.

JohnGalt1225
05-09-2011, 08:35 PM
If someone like Bachmann or another establishment type won the nomination I'd just vote 3rd party.

Brett85
05-09-2011, 08:40 PM
You are completely stuck in the Red Blue paradigm. Like most here, we'd rather not vote ourselves a new master to rule us, we want to be autonomous, sovereign, individuals. I really do not see how today is any different than the Feudalist days, except, our Masters are caretakers instead of owners, so we tend to get fucked over even harder.

I just don't understand why you don't realize that someone like Bachmann, though far from an ideological libertarian, is still far more libertarian than Obama. You seem to only support candidates that you agree with on every single issue, rather than supporting a candidate who would at least make the government smaller than what it is now.

S.Shorland
05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Well I'm thinking of following Stefan Molyneux's advice about not having Statists in my life.You give them a chance to consider the non aggression and ownership principles and if they still support force - out they go!

QueenB4Liberty
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I just don't understand why you don't realize that someone like Bachmann, though far from an ideological libertarian, is still far more libertarian than Obama. You seem to only support candidates that you agree with on every single issue, rather than supporting a candidate who would at least make the government smaller than what it is now.

Voting for the lesser of the two evils is still evil.

low preference guy
05-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Some things are just intolerable, like passing RomneyCare or working for the fucking IRS.

Teaser Rate
05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Voting for the lesser of the two evils is still evil.

But you also shouldn't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

Brett85
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
But you also shouldn't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

This. There isn't a single politician who I agree with on every single issue. Anybody who wants to abolish a few federal departments will get my vote against Obama.

madfoot
05-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Bachmann? Libertarian? LOL

TIMB0B
05-09-2011, 10:09 PM

This is exactly why 3rd party candidates "can't" win. People just want their dem/repub party to win, no matter the candidate.

klamath
05-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Since politico chose the option of what statements made by the candidates would be used as the answers for the questions it isn't real valid. With that said I have to say Palin's answer was the best from my standpoint. RP made a generic statement about war an but nothing about what the US defense posture should be. Bad answer. GJ's was all right but I don't much think he knows what he is talking about with a 40 percent cut. If he is willing to commit US troops to fight the whole middle east for Israel any serviceman would be cursing his name when they were sent into combat ill equiped for the mission he gave them. Bachmann would have been alright but for the mention of GITMO and interogation, most likely torture.

The rest of them, same old bullsh*t.

emr1028
05-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Is it just me or does Herman Cain not seem to actually have a position on anything?

tsai3904
05-09-2011, 10:45 PM
With that said I have to say Palin's answer was the best from my standpoint. RP made a generic statement about war an but nothing about what the US defense posture should be. Bad answer.

Palin's answer comes from a post she wrote on May 2 so it's hard to say if those are her strict beliefs she's held for awhile or whether she's sensing the country's dissatisfaction with our foreign policy and molding her views accordingly.

bb_dg
05-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Look at Cain...taking up Ron Paul's and Gary Johnson's photo space. He does look excited though.