PDA

View Full Version : How would you respond to this?: Environment

Livid
10-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Debating with someone about it and this is the response I just got:

well, let me clue you in to the REAL world, ok? in the real world, alaskans care more about jobs than they do about the environment. they care more about exploiting it's resources so they can continue to have jobs and get big fat dividend checks. trust me, i've been an alaskan for 28 years. i know how these idiots work. they continue to support republican politicians who are in the pockets of the oil industry, and many don't care, because many of them work for the oil industry themselves and they don't want to lose their jobs.

left up to the state of alaska, we would rape our land at even a faster pace.

if everyone in every state cared so much about the environment, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but that's not reality. the reality is the federal government needs to get involved in environmental issues of not only our country but countries around the world. we need to be funding the efforts of the government in south america, who are running down people who are illegally destroying rain forests. we need to join the UN and help pressure other countries to stop destroying the planet.

we need the federal government to be putting laws that affect every company in the country, because what's good for EVERY state and EVERY person is clean air, clean water, healthy forests, healthy animals, and healthy eco systems.

steph3n
10-27-2007, 01:53 AM
have you seen what modern drilling can do? I saw in the middle of a football stadium in downtown fort worth they are drilling a gas well!

The damage is very minor, I have some problems in using oil for other reasons, but for the next 10 years it is a vital vital need.

Dr Paul's record on the environment is very good as well.

ctb619
10-27-2007, 01:57 AM
http://www.grist.org/feature/2007/10/16/paul/

Livid
10-27-2007, 01:59 AM
I just read that and its not going to help me, I already pointed out that states would be better able to know what is going on with their state and what I posted above is the response I got.

specsaregood
10-27-2007, 02:00 AM
So he wants to put our trust in the most corrupt group of people in the country? The politicians that owe their soul to the lobbyists? I'd prefer personal property rights.

Livid
10-27-2007, 02:01 AM
So he wants to put our trust in the most corrupt group of people in the country? The politicians that owe their soul to the lobbyists? I'd prefer personal property rights.

Apparently, he thinks that the people of Alaska are not fit to govern themselves and that congress is less corrupt than his state government.

sandersondavis
10-27-2007, 02:07 AM
How about, "Hi, read this."

Link: Freedom Is the Environments Best Friend (http://www.fee.org/publications/the-freeman/article.asp?aid=7893)

The above web site is a treasure trove of great information on almost any subject having to do with the practical benefits of freedom.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Debating with someone about it and this is the response I just got:

well, let me clue you in to the REAL world, ok? in the real world, alaskans care more about jobs than they do about the environment. they care more about exploiting it's resources so they can continue to have jobs and get big fat dividend checks. trust me, i've been an alaskan for 28 years. i know how these idiots work. they continue to support republican politicians who are in the pockets of the oil industry, and many don't care, because many of them work for the oil industry themselves and they don't want to lose their jobs.

left up to the state of alaska, we would rape our land at even a faster pace.

if everyone in every state cared so much about the environment, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but that's not reality. the reality is the federal government needs to get involved in environmental issues of not only our country but countries around the world. we need to be funding the efforts of the government in south america, who are running down people who are illegally destroying rain forests. we need to join the UN and help pressure other countries to stop destroying the planet.

we need the federal government to be putting laws that affect every company in the country, because what's good for EVERY state and EVERY person is clean air, clean water, healthy forests, healthy animals, and healthy eco systems.

That would be his opinion that is based on his dislike of state's rights. The predictions seem to always be in the narrator's own beliefs, I wonder why that is so :rolleyes: if Alaskans want to "rape their land" well, that's their choice lol

vegetarianrpfan
10-27-2007, 05:52 AM
One simple question:

"How are we going to pay for all this?"

We can't even take care of our own country, let alone run down to South America and tell them to back off cutting down the rainforests.

Ron Paul would:

1.) End corporate welfare to oil companies
2.) By making it easier to start a business (less taxes), giving people in places like Alaska more options of what kinds of jobs they can do
3.) By decreasing taxes, allow Americans to donate more of their money to nonprofit organizations dealing with environmental issues both here and abroad, allowing these problems to be efficiently solved without government bureaucracy
4.) By encouraging free trade between nations, helping these South American countries to be richer and not making them rely on plundering the rainforest for money (while also making America richer, too)