PDA

View Full Version : Bin Laden death sparks new talk over Patriot Act

Brett85
05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-05-07-bin-laden-patriot-act_n.htm

Anti Federalist
05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-05-07-bin-laden-patriot-act_n.htm

Freshman Sen. Mike Lee, the Utah Republican whose tea party backing helped him defeat incumbent Sen. Bob Bennett in a primary, was the sole Republican to vote for Leahy's bill to tighten the Patriot Act's civil liberties protections and beef up its oversight requirements.

But this week, Lee couldn't say whether he'd vote for it on the floor. He also did not rule out voting for a straight extension.

Leahy's bill "would do a better job of protecting civil liberties and privacy than current law," Lee said in a statement. But, he said, "I will need to see how the final reform package shapes up."

Yeah, it's a done deal, why not just codify this fucking thing permanently into law, and stop pretending there is any semblance of government respecting individual rights.

Oh, and strike two for Mike Lee, if he votes for reauthorization.

Brett85
05-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Yeah, it's a done deal, why not just codify this fucking thing permanently into law, and stop pretending there is any semblance of government respecting individual rights.

Oh, and strike two for Mike Lee, if he votes for reauthorization.

Yeah, that was what suprised me the most. I thought that Lee would vote against it again for sure since he voted against just a 3 month extension the first time.

sailingaway
05-09-2011, 07:16 AM
He might vote with Rand instead. Let's wait and see.

Brett85
05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Perhaps Leahy's bill actually fixes the 4th amendment issues with the bill and better protects civil liberties. I haven't actually studied Leahy's bill to know for sure.

sailingaway
05-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Perhaps Leahy's bill actually fixes the 4th amendment issues with the bill and better protects civil liberties. I haven't actually studied Leahy's bill to know for sure.

I'm torn. I believe in the pure vote but if it is losing or Leahy's kicking the ball down the road 3 years while getting rid of National Security Letters which have already been made permanent, and aren't technically even up, this go round, I'd take the latter. McConnell wants to make the whole thing permanent.

Aratus
05-09-2011, 10:17 AM
we are going to have to wait 30 or 40 or 50 years
before we all get our BILL OF RIGHTs back in full...?

Anti Federalist
05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
we are going to have to wait 30 or 40 or 50 years
before we all get our BILL OF RIGHTs back in full...?

You might as well wait until Judgement Day...we're never getting our Bill of Rights back.

Not this way anyways...