PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Schumer proposes "no-ride list" for Amtrak trains

doodle
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Senator Schumer who had opposed cutting US financial and military aid to Israel and supported intervention in iraq has a new proposal to further enhance America's security :

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/08/us-security-trains-idUSTRE7472CF20110508

Hopefully, he won't go as far as proposing other measures to transform America into a perpetually threatened police state like the one described by this woman and whose "experts" are advising US security planners apparently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx153bakIdQ&NR=1

doodle
05-08-2011, 09:35 PM
In his defence, he is at least consistent though in supporting security over liberties paradigm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hLOjUA7Yc

But then again, maybe he is right and we need to shed some liberties to cope with any blowback threats as long as we are spreading democarcy, freedoms and human rights in other countries.

Brett85
05-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Schumer is a huge drug warrior as well. He's more of a radical statist than a traditional liberal.

cindy25
05-08-2011, 09:46 PM
this is a list everyone should be on. Amtrak should be abolished

doodle
05-08-2011, 09:51 PM
In that cae if Schumer moved on to propose "no-drive list", should people give up driving too.

Keep giving up liberties is not the solution as there'll always be something else, one key part of longterm solution is to cut off foreign military and welfare aid to client states immediately and wrap up foreign entanglements. Then Obama can proceed to do some apology tours that he seems to be good at and ofer some reparations ( without borrowing money from China) to families of civilians in war zones we liberated to make amends and make them sign agreements to avoid future lawsuits as a condition. On current track, these terror threats could keep growing for generations to come and we could end up with far less liberties and much worse police statae than we have today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_reparations

cindy25
05-08-2011, 10:09 PM
In that cae if Schumer moved on to propose "no-drive list", should people give up driving too.

Keep giving up liberties is not the solution as there'll always be something else, one key part of longterm solution is to cut off foreign military and welfare aid to client states immediately and wrap up foreign entanglements. Then Obama can proceed to do some apology tours that he seems to be good at and ofer some reparations ( without borrowing money from China) to families of civilians in war zones we liberated to make amends and make them sign agreements to avoid future lawsuits as a condition. On current track, these terror threats could keep growing for generations to come and we could end up with far less liberties and much worse police statae than we have today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_reparations

others are going farther; heard there is an Alabama proposal to make it a crime to give a ride to an undocumented alien

Matt Collins
05-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Yes, because hijacking a train is a smart idea. Sheesh. What idiocy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4G-0g9PRrE

Anti Federalist
05-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I wish these despots would stop fucking around and just get down to business:

"The No Live" list.

freshjiva
05-08-2011, 11:53 PM

+1.

freshjiva
05-08-2011, 11:53 PM

"The No Live" list.

+100.

devil21
05-09-2011, 01:15 AM
In his defence, he is at least consistent though in supporting security over liberties paradigm:

Im wondering how being a schmuk, consistently, is a "defence"?

emazur
05-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Let's put Shmuck Schumer on the "do-not-elect" list

Indy Vidual
05-09-2011, 01:59 AM

"The No Live" list.

+100.

-1984 :(
We are a movement of ideas, and this idea is really bad, IMO.

Imperial
05-09-2011, 02:12 AM

After they found out OBL was thinking about targeting the trains in America, I can picture the article:

"Earlier today Al Qaeda bombed a prominent Amtrak line. The move appears to have given the militant Salafist organization an unanticipated burst of sympathy from the American people. One exasperated man took a break from the street rallies and ran up to our camera to scream, 'Thanks bin Laden! Those lines were bleeding us dry!'

Al Qaeda Deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri declared his frustration in a recent interview with Al-Jazeera. 'I just don't understand,' he told the journalist. 'We thought Americans had greater faith in their government-built infrastructure!'

There were, unsurprisingly, no casualties in the explosion- nobody was riding on the train this morning."

doodle
05-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Come to think of it, it wasn't really.

Anti Federalist
05-09-2011, 11:46 AM
-1984 :(
We are a movement of ideas, and this idea is really bad, IMO.

Clarify please.

doodle
05-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Schumer is a huge drug warrior as well. He's more of a radical statist than a traditional liberal.

Sounds about right.

IndianaPolitico
05-09-2011, 06:36 PM
I guess one of the biggest questions is, "Does anyone even ride Amtrak?!?!"

TCE
05-09-2011, 07:19 PM

I like that about him, actually, and people in general. With him, you know he always is going to be against liberty, no matter what. I prefer that over people who say one thing and do another or pretend like they care about liberty (Bachmann and others). His position is clearly defined against us, and so there is no guesswork.

He will be the Senator from New York until he decides to stop running for re-election. He just got re-elected in 2010. There is a 0.001% chance he will lose in 2016.

Anti Federalist
05-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I like that about him, actually, and people in general. With him, you know he always is going to be against liberty, no matter what. I prefer that over people who say one thing and do another or pretend like they care about liberty (Bachmann and others). His position is clearly defined against us, and so there is no guesswork.

He will be the Senator from New York until he decides to stop running for re-election. He just got re-elected in 2010. There is a 0.001% chance he will lose in 2016.

Yup, no guessing where Chucky is going to land.

If it increases government power and control, he'll be for it, every time, with complete consistency.

And yeah, there is a statistically zero chance of "unelecting" him.

He has that seat until he quits, runs for something else, gets indicted or dies.

HarryBrowneLives
05-09-2011, 08:04 PM
HA! I put my self on that list yeeearrs ago. This hits close to home. I've always loved trains. My wife and I were planning to take a trip from Nashville to the FL Keys and I thought "why not take the train? ... It would be cool. So I call AMTRAk. Even though there are gazillions of miles of rail lines between TN and FL ... AMTRAK ...from Nashville to FL ... runs and routes all service through Washington DC and then to FL. It takes TWO DAYS and cost twice what a direct, two hr, flight would cost. Geeees ...

BlackTerrel
05-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Was about to post this.

The stupidity behind this stuff never ceases to amaze me.

1. Their entire list is fucked. I have a friend who always gets hassled when he flies because his last name is Washington and was told that "a lot of times terrorists use names of former Presidents". Really? This guys family has been in the US since before there was a US.

2. For real terrorists how hard is it to get a fake ID?

This does nothing other than harass and annoy law abiding citizens.

South Park Fan
05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
after they found out obl was thinking about targeting the trains in america, i can picture the article:

"earlier today al qaeda bombed a prominent amtrak line. The move appears to have given the militant salafist organization an unanticipated burst of sympathy from the american people. One exasperated man took a break from the street rallies and ran up to our camera to scream, 'thanks bin laden! Those lines were bleeding us dry!'

al qaeda deputy ayman al-zawahiri declared his frustration in a recent interview with al-jazeera. 'i just don't understand,' he told the journalist. 'we thought americans had greater faith in their government-built infrastructure!'

there were, unsurprisingly, no casualties in the explosion- nobody was riding on the train this morning." lol

doodle
05-10-2011, 01:03 AM
I guess one of the biggest questions is, "Does anyone even ride Amtrak?!?!"

Some people must..and bring luggage with them too:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/05/07/bomb-threat-forces-evacuation-of-mockingbird-dart-station/

Ytrebil
05-10-2011, 01:24 AM
In other news, the military also found Al Qaieda's plans to blow up a bathroom.

liberalrepublican
05-10-2011, 01:25 AM
This is the same guy that put alcohol on the No-Caffeine List. This man represents just about every thing I hate about the Democratic Party.

oyarde
05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Chuck is likely on my no ride list .

Krugerrand
05-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Clarify please.

I think he thought your "No Live List" was a suggestion of aggression. I don't think he realized you were implying the "No Live List" is where the government is headed with its "No ____ Lists"

Gaddafi Duck
05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
No ride list? Who the fuck actually uses Amtrak?

Johnnymac
05-10-2011, 10:05 AM
i wish these despots would stop fucking around and just get down to business:

"the no live" list.

12-21-12 !

Anti Federalist
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
I think he thought your "No Live List" was a suggestion of aggression. I don't think he realized you were implying the "No Live List" is where the government is headed with its "No ____ Lists"

Oh, OK, yeah, I suppose it could have been seen that way.

You read it correctly however, that is exactly what I was getting at, when government starts making "lists" of people who cannot do this or cannot do that, without any judicial or constitutional or legal restraint, then it is only just a matter of time before deportation, detention, workcamp and ultimately "extermination" lists start getting drawn up.

VBRonPaulFan
05-10-2011, 12:06 PM
lets make it mandatory to carry a gun if you want to ride the train. do you think a terrorist would want to try to pull some terror bullshit surrounded by well armed 'enemies'?

but no, that would make no sense. we must require that the government keep us all safe from ourselves!

Philhelm
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM

"The No Live" list.

I agree. I'd be the first to sign myself to the list, with a signature large and bold.

ronpaulfollower999
05-10-2011, 03:33 PM
I ride Amtrak btw (and so do 30 million other people) but I could see gradually phasing out certain lines and turning over to private control.

With a RP presidency many of these stupid federal restrictions would be lifted and private train travel would be profitable. It was until the creation of the ICC and the federal government created the interstate highway system. The Northeast Corridor is very heavily traveled and up until Amtrak was created in 1971 the New York to Florida line was making money.

We wouldn't need these government corporations, though, if it weren't for all these regulations.

Grubb556
05-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Why do I feel like the terrorists have already won ?

MelissaCato
05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I love Amtrak !! Gezzzz what are they doing to us ....

What does Amtrak say about this ? Who own's Amtrak again ? lol

ghengis86
05-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Oh, OK, yeah, I suppose it could have been seen that way.

You read it correctly however, that is exactly what I was getting at, when government starts making "lists" of people who cannot do this or cannot do that, without any judicial or constitutional or legal restraint, then it is only just a matter of time before deportation, detention, workcamp and ultimately "extermination" lists start getting drawn up.

Such a list already exists. Even US citizens are on it.

doodle
05-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Why do I feel like the terrorists have already won ?

Because you don't support tax payers funded spread of freedom in mideast.

doodle
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Amtrak should be abolished

Why?

acptulsa
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Why?

That does it! I was going to get humorous in this thread, but now I have to do it in my own.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?285290-Intercity-Passenger-Rail&p=3266380&viewfull=1#post3266380

doodle
05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
That does it! I was going to get humorous in this thread, but now I have to do it in my own.

:)

doodle
05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4G-0g9PRrE

Can't go wrong with "inventing the wheel in advance" in a team effort.

Imperial
05-12-2011, 02:46 AM
I ride Amtrak btw (and so do 30 million other people) but I could see gradually phasing out certain lines and turning over to private control.

With a RP presidency many of these stupid federal restrictions would be lifted and private train travel would be profitable. It was until the creation of the ICC and the federal government created the interstate highway system. The Northeast Corridor is very heavily traveled and up until Amtrak was created in 1971 the New York to Florida line was making money.

We wouldn't need these government corporations, though, if it weren't for all these regulations.

Reihan Salam (a libertarian leaning neoconservative if that makes sense- which it does in person oddly enough), writes a lot about rail in America. One of his recent articles (http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/04/01/040111-opinions-column-whatif-salam-1-2/) I particularly enjoyed:

A shockingly large number of people, including Obama, seem to believe that had the federal government not stepped up to the plate in the postwar era and invested vast sums in highways and putting a man on the moon, the United States would have wound up an economic backwater. But perhaps not building a huge network of highways would have kept American families in more compact, walkable neighborhoods. Instead of sprawling suburbs and SUVs, we’d have more high-rises and bike lanes. The Interstate Highways helped supersize America’s government, by centralizing authority in D.C., and our waistlines, by encouraging us to drive and to fatten up on fast food. It’s not obvious to me that we’re better off as a nation plagued by high taxes and heart disease.

doodle
05-12-2011, 11:29 AM
"libertarian leaning neoconservative" aka TPNW aka fake libertarians.

doodle
05-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I love Amtrak !! Gezzzz what are they doing to us ....

What does Amtrak say about this ? Who own's Amtrak again ? lol

Amtrak service, speed, quality compared to trains in other countries really sucks...to be fair.

acptulsa
05-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Amtrak service, speed, quality compared to trains in other countries really sucks...to be fair.

To be fair, you could go from New York City to Chicago faster by rail, behind steam power, in 1937 than you can now. Your government hard at work.

http://laughterandliberty.com/terror-plot-foiled/

If you want to protect rail travelers, post guards on all of the tens and tens of thousands of mainline route miles of track, because a derailment at speed will kill more passengers than a bomb in one of many cars in a long, skinny train.

Oh, wait, we'd have to end a war or two in order to have enough people to post all those guards. Never mind, not feasible. Guess we'll just have to sexually assault them so they'll feel safe.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
To be fair, you could go from New York City to Chicago faster by rail, behind steam power, in 1937 than you can now. Your government hard at work.

ACPTulsa ain't joking, it was three hours faster, 16 hours in 1938 vs 19 hours for Amtrak's fastest train now.

http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/images/1938_Broadway_LTD.jpg

doodle
05-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Wow. progress.

awake
05-14-2011, 12:33 PM
These are political enemies lists. They will be used against all of us some day.

acptulsa
05-14-2011, 12:36 PM
ACPTulsa ain't joking, it was three hours faster, 16 hours in 1938 vs 19 hours for Amtrak's fastest train now.

http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/images/1938_Broadway_LTD.jpg

Don't suppose it has anything to do with the fact that the Loewy-designed-streamlining crowd had to keep up with the Dreyfus-designed-streamlining crowd or go out of business, huh?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/NYC_Hudson2.jpg

Past time to put the Amtrak monopoly out of business.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2011, 12:37 PM
These are political enemies lists. They will be used against all of us some day.

Of course, it's just setting the precedent.

Once it has been established that government can "put you on a list" and deny critical protections against loss of fundamental rights with no conviction in a court, no judicial review, no evidence whatsoever, then it's only a matter of time and a "terror attack", real or manufactured, and the lists will be called into action to start rounding people up.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Don't suppose it has anything to do with the fact that the Loewy-designed-streamlining crowd had to keep up with the Dreyfus-designed-streamlining crowd or go out of business, huh?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/NYC_Hudson2.jpg

Past time to put the Amtrak monopoly out of business.

Competition FTW!

I tried to find some stats on the Empire Builder as well, just to compare. Trouble is, Amtrak is still running that train and it's hard to find run times from back in the days of the Great Northern.

I'll bet they were faster as well.

I'd also bet that, adjusted for inflation (or more correctly, dollar devaluation) that the price of a ticket was cheaper back then, and with better service.

acptulsa
05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Competition FTW!

I tried to find some stats on the Empire Builder as well, just to compare...

You have but to ask.

http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track7/empbuilder195607.html

acptulsa
05-14-2011, 01:13 PM
You have but to ask.

Uh oh. I think he likes it.

Well, gang, we might not see AF again for days on end. Sorry. My bad.

AFPVet
05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
lets make it mandatory to carry a gun if you want to ride the train. do you think a terrorist would want to try to pull some terror bullshit surrounded by well armed 'enemies'?

but no, that would make no sense. we must require that the government keep us all safe from ourselves!

Precisely! Considering that if we the people were armed and vigilant, this would put a lot of goons out of work!

doodle
05-14-2011, 01:22 PM
acptulsa why, is AF going on a train trip?

Anti Federalist
05-14-2011, 01:37 PM
You have but to ask.

Alright, thanks.

Wow, government at work x10

In 1956, taking into account the time change for westbound travel, it would have taken 31 hours and 15 minutes of elapsed time to take the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland OR.

ETA - I must have read the schedule wrong or something, the site is showing 43 hours for that trip. Still faster than Amtrak.

Amtrak's fastest train today takes another three hours, for the exact same mileage, according to their timetable.

But their booking page says the trip takes 46 hours elapsed time???

Either way, it takes longer than it did fifty or sixty years ago:

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/Page/1237405732505/1237405732505

The Empire Builder in 1956

http://ti.org/EBinGNP4.jpg

HOLLYWOOD
05-14-2011, 01:41 PM
This is simply incredible response, but knowing how this government operates... one of THEIR operatives.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/Government_Propaganda.png

doodle
05-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Nice work Hollywood.. and good question.

doodle
05-14-2011, 11:29 PM

Yes.