PDA

View Full Version : Debt "ceiling"? Isn't it more of a "hole" than a ceiling?

goRPaul
05-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Everybody wants a higher ceiling. "Raise the roof" as some people say. But when I'm broke, I call it "in the hole". When you continue to max out your credit card, you're not increasing your personal wealth, you're digging a hole for yourself. So why does everyone call it a ceiling, when common sense tells us its really a hole?

heavenlyboy34
05-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Because it sounds nicer. Same reason they use the word "war" instead of "invasion and occupation".

Vessol
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Because it sounds nicer. Same reason they use the word "war" instead of "invasion and occupation".

Even those are nicer words than brutal murder and pillaging.

Dr.3D
05-08-2011, 05:46 PM
The probably call it a ceiling, because people like the idea of rising up to something rather than falling into something.

Proph
05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Newspeak.

goRPaul
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
The probably call it a ceiling, because people like the idea of rising up to something rather than falling into something.

True, but when I fall into a hole I don't claim I'm flying. Even the people who say they won't vote to dig a deeper debt hole use the "raise the debt ceiling" misnomer. Who's going to call it for what it really is?

Dr.3D
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
True, but when I fall into a hole I don't claim I'm flying. Even the people who say they won't vote to dig a deeper debt hole use the "raise the debt ceiling" misnomer. Who's going to call it for what it really is?
Everything is backwards these days.

Liberals call themselves Progressive. War is peace. Hot is cold.
Few want to tell the truth anymore, because telling the truth is an act of treason in a world of lies.