PDA

View Full Version : What party did you belong to before you started supporting Ron Paul?

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Did you switch, and when?

This should help us get an idea of which party members are most likely to become hardcore RP fans.

sailingaway
05-08-2011, 09:13 AM
I was Republican basically forever. However, I didn't often vote in primaries. I didn't think much of the candidates nor the system and saw politics kinda like trash removal -- something we pay others to deal with so we don't have to.

Stupid, I now know.

VIDEODROME
05-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Green

Voted for Ralph Nader in 2000 and 2004

pcosmar
05-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Independent, Still am.

Though I have often voted for the "R" choice, and often been disappointed.

brandon
05-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Libertarian. Surprised that's not a poll choice.

nate895
05-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I wasn't a registered voter, since I was too young, but I always considered myself a Republican.

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2011, 09:28 AM

It's in the "other" category. I can't include every small party, so I left that up to you to identify yourself by posting. I am specifically curious how many democrats and unregistered voters are now with us.

goRPaul
05-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Same. I switched to Republican to vote for RP in the primary, and immediately after turning in the ballot I asked for a voter registration form to change back to libertarian. Couple months later I had to change to Republican again to participate in the county REC.

sailingaway
05-08-2011, 09:32 AM
It's in the "other" category. I can't include every small party, so I left that up to you to identify yourself by posting. I am specifically curious how many democrats and unregistered voters are now with us.

Last time the Dems had 'hope' in Obama, and Ron didn't make it out of the primary. Now many see Obama as Bush's 3d term on a lot of issues. I'm hoping some will register to vote for Ron, but we'll see. There is such a Dem/gop divide I think they think they'd go up in smoke, some of them.

torchbearer
05-08-2011, 09:34 AM

just to give a heads up, the libertarian party has major party status in louisiana.

amy31416
05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I was Independent, then held my nose and switched to Republican about a week before the primary vote in 2008. The only reason I'm a Republican is because of Ron Paul, despite the fact that I come from a very Republican family--I don't know if that made me more or less open to RP, but I was hooked from his "blowback" exchange with Giuliani.

aspiringconstitutionalist
05-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Republican.

Was a neo-con, before Ron Paul cured my stupidity.

JohnGalt1225
05-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Independent, and I still am. I used to hold a mixed bag of political ideas, some libertarian, some progressive, but I've always been consistently anti-war. I used to believe that universal health care was a good idea. I was vehemently anti-corporatist. I still am by the way, but I used to follow the illogical conclusion that more regulations would reign in out of control cronyism. I was in the Ralph Nader mold of opposing all big-ness, big government, big business, big anything.

I supported Ron in the 2008 primaries, but I came on late, well after he was out of the running essentially. But his ideas planted the seeds of liberty in my heart and mind. Over the past three years I've been converted to a more consistent pro-liberty message. I used to have certain libertarian beliefs because they were "cost effective," I viewed the world in a more Gary Johnson sort of "cost benefit analysis" way. I know oppose UHC not just because it would likely be un-cost effective, but because it's immoral to rob Peter to pay Paul in so many words.

KCIndy
05-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Almost the same. I was never registered with any party (Indiana is an "open voting" state) but I always considered myself a libertarian since discovering the Libertarian Party while I was attending Indiana University. One of my biggest regrets was not knowing about the Libertarians or Ron Paul in '88, which was the first year I was eligible to vote in a presidential election.

Southron
05-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I was a Republican until 2006. Then I was unaffiliated until 2008 when the LP was gained ballot access in NC. I would join the CP if it had ballot access.

If RP is still on the ballot next year, I will switch back to unaffiliated to vote for him, even though the nomination is always wrapped up by the time we have our primary.:(

KCIndy
05-08-2011, 10:04 AM
even though the nomination is always wrapped up by the time we have our primary.:(

Don't ya hate that? Indiana's primary is in May. In '08 I decided to go through the hassle of registering as a Republican anyway, just so I could say I had voted for Ron Paul!

nate895
05-08-2011, 10:06 AM
If RP is still on the ballot next year, I will switch back to unaffiliated to vote for him, even though the nomination is always wrapped up by the time we have our primary.:(

With the way Republicans are doing things this year, it might not be this go around. With the exception of the designated early states, all states up through to the end of March have to have a proportional system (why the GOP switched to that given what happened to the D's last time is anyone's guess). Since there is no clear frontrunner right now, it is entirely possible that a situation could happen where two (hopefully including Paul) will end up facing each other into early May.

Simon
05-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Libertarian

Theocrat
05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I was a member of the Constitution Party before supporting Congressman Paul in his 2008 Presidential run, but I had known about him and read many things from him way before that.

speciallyblend
05-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I was a lifelong democrat from Virginia. Then i heard Harry Browne and joined the LP. Then i heard Ron Paul and have to say thanks to harry browne or i would of never bothered to listen to Ron Paul! I viewed a majority of republicans as scum of the earth until i heard Ron Paul!! Then i realized it was just neo-cons and GOP establishment who were the scum! I joined the GOP because of Ron Paul and i brought my scum remover!!

Golding
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Democrat. But here's why...

When I was 18, my school invited election officials to talk to the class and hand out voter registration forms. The timing was shortly after Bush's election, and at the time I wasn't principled enough to see beyond Democrat vs. Republican. I was very much against Bush, and I suppose I bought into the collectivist mindset that to be Republican you had to be a neocon. I didn't believe in much at all what the Democrat party stood for, except their anti-war stances. 2006 infuriated me, because that's where they proved that they were using Iraq and the Middle East wars as a carrot hung over the heads of voters, to buy elections and never fulfill their promises.

I switched to the Republican party during Ron Paul's campaign in 2008 after watching him squish Guiliani like a little bug, and voted for RP in the primaries. My parents were initially surprised that I switched parties, but they got it after I explained my reasoning.

CharlesTX
05-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I voted for GHW Bush, then Ross Perot, then Bill Clinton, then Al Gore, then GWB, then wrote in Ron Paul. I guess I was the classic Independent (i.e. a Dolt with a hodge podge of ideals) who was swayed by who I thought was right. My principles have pretty much been established now because of the Ron Paul Revolution.

kahless
05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I switched to Republican to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries. I had switched to Reform Party to vote for Buchanan and then Republican again to vote for Buchanan. Oddly despite all the times I switched parties in the last 30 years the board of elections showed I have always been a Democrat since I was 18. Same thing happened to a friend of mine in this heavily Democrat county.

The party I belong to does not mean anything since I often vote Libertarian if available otherwise Republican.

JohnGalt1225
05-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I voted for GHW Bush, then Ross Perot, then Bill Clinton, then Al Gore, then GWB, then wrote in Ron Paul. I guess I was the classic Independent (i.e. a Dolt with a hodge podge of ideals) who was swayed by who I thought was right. My principles have pretty much been established now because of the Ron Paul Revolution.
That's exactly how I was too. I always used to say I voted "for the man who I feel is the most honest even if I disagree with a lot he has to say." I mean I still want to vote for an honest man, but sometimes men are honestly wrong. My principles were solidified by the Liberty Revolution.

Michael Landon
05-08-2011, 10:37 AM
I voted for Perot (Reform Party) in my first two Presidental elections. Then Bush (Republican Party) twice and I'm still regretting those votes. Then Baldwin (Constitution Party) in the last election. My local and state election votes have been to Democrats, Republicans, Independence Party, Libertarian Party and Constitution Party candidates.

If I had to chose which party platform I agree with the most it would be the Libertarian Party but that's only because the Republican Party has lost it's way. I would like to see the Libertarian-Republicans pull the Republican Party back to it's more libertarian roots.

- ML

QueenB4Liberty
05-08-2011, 10:58 AM
I was a Republican/not really interested in politics until I went to college and then I got involved with the Democrats until I found out Obama was just another sellout, but by that time Ron Paul had already dropped out of the presidential race.

Alawn
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Republican. Libertarian leaning but still fairly neoconish.

Aratus
05-08-2011, 11:28 AM
i did not join any political party prior to registering here,
in the past i've voted for many candidates over the years...
i went perot in the 80s, liked mcgovern in 72 and sometimes
alternated between third party people locally and the GOP
as well as the Democrats. i did not get involved politically.

Aratus
05-08-2011, 11:30 AM
after Dr. RON PAUL wanted us to get political inside
the GOP i've been voting in REPUBLICAN PRIMARIES!!!

R3volutionJedi
05-08-2011, 11:38 AM
From age 13 to 15 I considered myself Republican (neo-con ideals too). Now I am 16 and consider my self Independent (paleo-conservative ideals now). I will registrar Republican to vote in the primaries though, so I can vote for Ron Paul.

specsaregood
05-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Always been registered republican; but in the general election I usually voted in the following order depending on what was on the ballot: Constitution Party, Libertarian, Independent, Green, Republican, Democrat.

speciallyblend
05-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I voted for Perot (Reform Party) in my first two Presidental elections. Then Bush (Republican Party) twice and I'm still regretting those votes. Then Baldwin (Constitution Party) in the last election. My local and state election votes have been to Democrats, Republicans, Independence Party, Libertarian Party and Constitution Party candidates.

If I had to chose which party platform I agree with the most it would be the Libertarian Party but that's only because the Republican Party has lost it's way. I would like to see the Libertarian-Republicans pull the Republican Party back to it's more libertarian roots.

- ML

woot woot!!!!!! Baldwin 2008!!!! curious does anyone know if Baldwin is running in 2012? In case the gop screws up again!!!!!!!! thinking about my back up plan;)

reduen
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I was Independant but always voted conservative so most of the time I voted Republican. Voted for Chuck Baldwin last election after the primaries....

akforme
05-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I was a left leaning independent. I bought into the whole we need to regulate and tax the big guys. If it wasn't for the fact that my dad, a democrat, had always told me the banks run the country and the federal reserve is at the top, I probably wouldn't have given Ron much attention.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Democrat for a while after high school simply because I hated bush. Quickly figured out that all politicians are the same. Became disillusioned after 9/11 and then non-political. I just avoided the subject.

Then I was on youtube in July of 2007 and for some reason I wanted to see footage of the 9/11 attacks. I can't explain why, I just needed to see it. Of course being on youtube and doing a search for 9/11 brought me all different kinds of videos on the topic. Some of which lead me over to Alex Jones. After watching some of his broadcasts I was thinking, "Who is this hateful angry nutcase?!" At this time I had had no education in real history. My world view was still based on public education, even though I had tossed away religion a year before. So one day in October after suffering from severe depression, while watching as many 9/11 documentaries as I could get my hands on (great combination btw!), I saw a picture of Ron Paul on Alex's website. I thought, "Jones is supporting a politician? ....o..k.. I should check him out."

Went back to youtube and found a debate (pretty sure it was the Giuliani exchange) and was completely mesmerized. I didn't fully understand what Dr. Paul was talking about, but I just instinctively knew it was Truth. And I felt like I had never heard Truth before. From there I quickly found this site and signed up on Nov 5th. What convinced me was the fact that the moneybomb was so successful. I came here just in time to see it materialize. The "depression" didn't lift immediately after finding Dr. Paul, that took a few more years, but for the first time in my adult life, I had hope.

Since then I haven't owned a TV. I spend the vast majority of my free time reading and learning as much as I can. Finding the Mises institute was like stumbling onto the Mother Lode. The last two years of my life have been a dramatic change from everything before. I now work for myself. I'm completely off all of those horrid medications. I laugh and smile everyday. I feel like my life is coming into balance. When I talk with people about things that really piss me off, I no longer get seriously angry (most of the time :D).

I have learned that my "depression" was not some mystical genetic or biological force that I had no control over. It was the logical reaction to years and years of abuse and rampant liars. Depression was the behavior that kept me alive all of those years, and now I don't need it anymore. Ron Paul gave me a seed of Truth, and from that seed an entire Forest of Liberty has grown inside me.

I never thought learning about economics would teach me how to deal with liars. :)

/emo

silentshout
05-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I was a Democrat, voted only for Democrats actually until the last election. I think I was just a democrat because I didn't like bush's wars etc.

White Bear Lake
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I've always considered myself a Repblican even though 2010 was the first year I could vote. My parents are pretty apolitical so I never really knew or cared much about politics until the 04 election when I was in 7th grade. All my friends started coming out as pro-Bush, pro-Iraq, staunch Republicans. Naturally I started identifing myself as a Republican, too; especially because all the liberal pro-Kerry kids were kids I really didn't like. I supported McCain/Palin at first but after he came out in support of the bailouts I really quickly began to question the neocon establishment. That was the defining moment that prompted me to start looking for better options. I still am to this day staunchly Republican but it's ironic that the one issue that originally turned me to the GOP, support for the Iraq War, is the one issue I most strongly disagree with the mainstream GOP now. Anyways, I know better now and hope to return the GOP to it's old ways. Liberals/Progressives still really piss me off though and I will always support the Republican in local and state elections if there isn't a pro-liberty candidate.

bb_dg
05-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I was a life long Democrat from Virginia. My whole family is fairly liberal and we have always voted Democrat. I wanted the country to have nationalized health care and welfare programs for everyone. I pretty much wanted the government to take care of me from cradle to grave, so that everyone in the country would at the very least have a house and a job, no matter how poor they were.

The 2008 election was the first one I was old enough to vote in and of course I voted for Obama. I remember I had a friend and I asked her, "Do you think you're gonna vote for McCain or Obama?" and she said she didn't like either of the candidates. I found out she liked Ron Paul and I thought to myself, "Why would she support such a weird candidate?" Of course I knew nothing of Ron Paul, I never saw a Republican debate, and I only heard the negative things the mainstream media and my liberal friends have said about him.

After Obama was elected, I knew it was gonna be a rough time for the country either way. He received the Nobel Peace Prize, which I always thought was dubious, but w/e I thought. He began the stimulus package, which I kinda understood the logic of. I took an economics course the following year during college, which they taught Keynesian Economics, which further reassured me that Obama was doing the right thing. I got annoyed every time someone in my class would question the stimulus package and asked our professor about it. However, when the logic of the stimulus package was explained and how the mechanics of it was supposed to work, I did find that the stimulus package is really just the trickle-down theory of economics. Also, I found what it indirectly does is indirectly take money out of people's savings and puts it into the economy. Even so, because my professor was very adamant about this, and I understood the logic of how it increases GDP, I believed in it.

After a while, the economy never recovered, and we were still in Iraq. I thought to myself that perhaps Obama will not be able to do as much as we wants to. He then started proposing the Healthcare plan, which I always thought why? I understand that healthcare is important, but shouldn't we focus on the economy first? It just seemed to me Obama was trying to do too much. Then something happened that just made my support for Obama run downhill from there. The controversy of the ground zero mosque occurred. Obama gave a press conference where he said that they should be allowed to practice their religion, just like everyone else in their country. From this tone, you could clearly tell that he supported the mosque, not to mention all the cheers he got from the reporters, and I was cheering along with them. However, the very next day, a reporter caught Obama walking toward an airplane and asked him again about the mosque and he said that he was not saying that he personally supported it, but he was simply stating that it was their right. Me, along with many newscasters, called out bullsh*t! He clearly supported the mosque, and now he's backing away from that.

I voted for Obama because I thought he would have a humble foreign policy. He would talk to Iran without preconditions, he would have empathy for other nations, he was this new generation of politician where he would not play the games of the political world. Now that he was president, I thought that the old squabbles between politicians would end. But after I saw the way he acted during the incident of the ground zero mosque, I realized that he really was just another politician.

At the time, I had recently become a fan of the show, Penn and Teller's Bullshit. On one of the episodes, Ron Paul (who they first mistook for Ian McKellen) was talking about the income tax and government. He was saying how republicans get elected, but then do the opposite of what they say they're gonna do and make the problem even worse, and then democrats get elected, do exactly what they said they were gonna do, and make the problem even worse. I just really liked how funny he was and how he articulated his answers. So I became intrigued and I looked him up on youtube and saw him during the presidential debates. Afters seeing him answer, I had a man crush. He was completely different from any other Republican, and he was better than any Democrat. What he says makes complete sense. I bought his book Revolution: A Manifesto and I read a little about Michael Scheuer and I would here about Peter Schiff. I looked those guys up and I fell in love with them as well. I understood how GDP was not a real way to measure how well the economy was doing and I understood how we got into this recession in the first place, it wasn't do to "Animal Spirits." I also finally found out how America's intervening policy in the middle east has actually been very harmful toward American and explains why the terrorists hate us so much, not because our women go to college or we are free and prosperous. I became a paultard.

Today, whenever a political conversation comes up, I try to not seem so passionate about it because people get annoyed and they automatically shut themselves off from you. I usually just try to gently get thoughts in people's head, like asking why healthcare is so expensive in the first place? How did we get into this recession? Why do the terrorists hate us so much? So far, I have gotten quite a few of my friends interested in Ron Paul, luckily primaries in Virginia are open, so they do not need to worry about changing party affiliations or anything. On the night of the May 5th debate, I called my dad up to ask if he was watching it. As my entire family is very liberal, he said, "No, why would I watch a republican debate? I don't care about them." I then told him that my man was Ron Paul, he said "What? No! He is a God-fearing republican, his son Rand Paul is completely crazy." Of course you would not be able to change someone's mind in a single phone call, but I asked him to just watch it and see Ron Paul's answers. He said he might watch a little. To be honest, I think he forgot, which I think is a good thing since that debate actually was not a very good one in displaying Ron Paul's views.

Now that the summer is beginning, I think I'll be able to talk to my family a lot more about the libertarian views and that Ron and Rand are not nearly as crazy as they think they are. This is my story of how I took a completely 180 degree turn from being a liberal leaning on socialist to libertarian. I have never felt so passionate for an ideal and a politician in my life before. Ron Paul has cured my apathy and I'm spreading his views around.

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2011, 01:16 PM
More democrats on here than I expected. Some were even hard-core democrats before changing views completely. I respect that.

I, for one, had never voted before 2008, as I was too young. I supported Bush in 2000 and 2004 mainly because of his socially conservative views. My parents were indepedent and did not like the two-party system, and I could plainly see the reasoning behind it. All of my teachers were those people who said "It doesn't matter who you vote for, just vote!" I was sort of indifferent to this message and didn't really get it, but I grew to abhor it. Shortly after 2004, I realized Bush had tricked the nation into voting a fool into office twice. I could not believe I had supported the man, which I suppose is one reason there is a voting age. In 2007, I was disenfranchised with politics, but still thought it would be a good idea to vote, so I looked for candidates online on Google, which is where I finally found Ron Paul in July of 2007. As soon as I saw his positions, I thought this is the man I have been looking for, and it was there and then that I decided I would vote for him because he was so unique and the only one that was not pandering to people but running on principle.

I only got more involved in late July after watching some of the debates on youtube, and finally found this forum. I think it was in August that I joined a meetup group for Ron Paul and heard this one woman speak (I forget her name, but remember reading some controversial things about her on this forum). She was really devoted to campaign tactics and really getting Ron Paul the WIN (not just spreading ideals). I was really enthused by this, and after another meetup, some of the members convinced me to become a delegate to the state GOP convention for Paul, which I did. The whole process was very interesting, and I got to shake Ron Paul's hand! This was all very exciting, getting to watch all but McCain of the remaining candidates speak at the convention, including Paul. It was unfortunate that I had to deal with a Mormon father/son team from my county who were there for Romney. Throughout the process, the father tried to coerce me into supporting Romney while the son, who I knew from school, sat by looking at his phone.

This time around, however, I see much more promise and want to both spread the ideas of liberty and get Ron Paul elected.

Agorism
05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Honey Badger don't care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

speciallyblend
05-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Honey Badger don't care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

i am speechless but lmfao, not sure if the badger is funny or the guy talking!!

Agorism
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Ya this guy has a whole series of wildlife videos and they are all hilarious.

The honey badger one was the best though because he was talking trash during that one.

FreedomProsperityPeace
05-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered Democrat 1992-2000

Registered Libertarian 2000-2007

Registered Republican 2007-present (so I can vote in liberty candidates in the primaries)

Wesker1982
05-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I registered just so I could vote for Ron Paul on the MT ballot.

Agorism
05-08-2011, 02:06 PM
More dems here then I expected.

speciallyblend
05-08-2011, 02:11 PM
More dems here then I expected.

yeah i was a democrat more in my life then a libertarian, but thanks to harry browne and ron paul now i know what is up!!!

Invi
05-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Wasn't registered, leaned Dem. Everything they promoted seemed like such good things, taking care of people.. Until someone made it very obvious to me that it is done by theft, and we can't afford it, and individuals should take care of individuals, etc, etc. I am now quite the opposite of what I was, aside from a couple issues. Just takes a little education and an open mind.

VegasPatriot
05-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Hey Matt Collins, I hope you are taking notice of this poll. At the time of this post only 31 percent say they were republicans... you consistently bash people who have an idea of how to expand the republican base by convincing non-republicans to become Ron Paul republicans. According to you if we are not specifically targeting only currently registered republicans... we are wasting time. Do you now understand that targeting non-republicans and convincing them to become Ron Paul republicans so they can become delegates is a sound strategy?

I myself was a democrat who voted independently... the only reason I registered democrat was to have some voice in primary elections. After becoming sick of both democrats and republicans I had planned to register independent but realized RP needed me as a republican, so that's what I did. Hundreds of dedicated RP supporters did the same thing in 2008 here in Nevada. We became delegates as well... this is the true secret of why Ron Paul was so successful in the 2008 campaign here in Nevada. So let's follow the blueprint Nevada used by encouraging all non-republicans to register as republican (even if only to become a Ron Paul republican and delegate).

BuddyRey
05-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Unaffiliated, but with strong Liberal Democratic sympathies. I voted for Kerry in '04 and was planning to vote for Kucinich in the '08 primaries before Ron Paul completely rocked my world and changed everything I thought I knew about politics.

showpan
05-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I am also from Nevada and I'm still a registered Dem, I'm also a union member. I would have voted for RP if he didn't drop out in the last election. I will be changing parties soon so that I can vote for him in the primary. I should have done so last time around.

VegasPatriot
05-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I am also from Nevada and I'm still a registered Dem, I'm also a union member. I would have voted for RP if he didn't drop out in the last election. I will be changing parties soon so that I can vote for him in the primary. I should have done so last time around.
That's good news but we need more then a primary vote to be successful. We must become delegates to the state convention in order to win enough delegates to send a majority of Ron Paul delegates to the national convention. Last time the state convention was in Reno so I think this time it will be in Las Vegas.

Sweman
05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Democrat for a while after high school...

I was a life long Democrat from Virginia...

Good stories

l2jperry1
05-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Well... seeing as how I was not old enough to vote for Ron Paul in 2008, although I fully supported him... I guess I couldn't say. But I did vote for Nader in 2004 for my fourth grade class poll, but now i'd say independent with a Libertarian Party lean :).

speciallyblend
05-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Well... seeing as how I was not old enough to vote for Ron Paul in 2008, although I fully supported him... I guess I couldn't say. But I did vote for Nader in 2004 for my fourth grade class poll, but now i'd say independent with a Libertarian Party lean :).

welcome to the forums:) and sounds like your one of the missing pieces to the puzzle:) Revolution Calling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdOsL4Xe7Q

Sentient Void
05-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Believe it or not, I was actually a registered Democrat.

Now I'm an anarcho-capitalist.

lol?

05-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Was an Independent who tended to vote for Dems, but my dad had been preaching libertarianism to me. We both supported Ron in 2007/2008 and I registered Republican to vote for him in the primaries. Wrote him in for the general.

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey Matt Collins, I hope you are taking notice of this poll. At the time of this post only 31 percent say they were republicans... you consistently bash people who have an idea of how to expand the republican base by convincing non-republicans to become Ron Paul republicans. According to you if we are not specifically targeting only currently registered republicans... we are wasting time. Do you now understand that targeting non-republicans and convincing them to become Ron Paul republicans so they can become delegates is a sound strategy?

I myself was a democrat who voted independently... the only reason I registered democrat was to have some voice in primary elections. After becoming sick of both democrats and republicans I had planned to register independent but realized RP needed me as a republican, so that's what I did. Hundreds of dedicated RP supporters did the same thing in 2008 here in Nevada. We became delegates as well... this is the true secret of why Ron Paul was so successful in the 2008 campaign here in Nevada. So let's follow the blueprint Nevada used by encouraging all non-republicans to register as republican (even if only to become a Ron Paul republican and delegate).

Precisely, VegasPatriot.

That was sort of a goal I had for this poll. It seems there are a surprising number of Democrats here. They are not even the lowest represented group! Who said "converting Democrats doesn't work?" Now, this doesn't mean we should turn our attention to Democrats or any group in particular, but don't view them as a waste of time.

KurtBoyer25L
05-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Honestly, I don't mind that Collins & others disagree with the strategy of converting independents and liberals. I do mind that we're put down as being willfully ignorant or irrationally stubborn about it. I think it's irrationally stubborn to just sit and argue with the same GOP sheeple and never get anywhere. Independents and far-left folk are both open minded compared to the old/white pseudo-conservatives who vote for looks and rhetoric. It's legal for everyone 18+ to vote and it's not a major time commitment and we know college kids are mostly pro-weed and anti-war. So let's see what we can do.

smokemonsc
05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Believe it or not, I was actually a registered Democrat.

Now I'm an anarcho-capitalist.

lol?

I believe it :) I'm in the same boat, I just wasn't registered Dem, but definitely voted Dem. I voted for Obama :(

sailingaway
05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
The poll mirrors polls ppp has done, and the daily kooks have done, showing Ron's support is too evenly spread. How do we get them to understand Ron could win if they register GOP and vote in the primaries? We have the CNN poll showing he does best against Obama, and the Rasmussen one from last year showing him at 41% to 42% for Obama, and dominating with independents.

We have to get a change parties and vote for Ron drive going.

KurtBoyer25L
05-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm launching a website next month called Liberalsforronpaul2012.com, anyone who'd like to help by sharing ideas and resources just send a personal message.

P.S. I am a minarchist libertarian. Just wanna help Ron get some crossover support.

RonPaulCult
05-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I was a Green, which is shameful BUT much better than Republican or Democrat so whatever!

By the way - look at those results - so beautiful that freedom brings us all together, something Ron Paul like to say and said personally to me when I met him for the first time four years ago and told him I was a liberal voting for a Republican for the first time in my life :)

sailingaway
05-08-2011, 11:14 PM
The Humble Libertarian got so many comments by Democrats on its last article about Ron that it wrote a number of them up. Take a look: http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2011/05/i-dont-always-vote-in-republican.html

He even came up with a new slogan for them :
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/humblelibertarian/b667c20f.png

Jay Tea
05-09-2011, 01:38 AM
That. Is. Awesome.

(And incredibly interesting.)