PDA

View Full Version : The Ron Paul Liberty Ship

zert
05-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Hello Team,

I wanted to know what you all thought of this method of getting Ron Paul's name out there for the 2012 campaign

The idea is a Ron Paul Liberty Ship. The boat would travel up and down the Eastern seaboard stopping in cities, and towns. The sails of the vessel are emblazoned with a messages supporting Ron Paul's campaign. It would be similar to the Ron Paul blimp, but the budget would be a fraction, and its tour would be a lot longer.

The boat would have a complimenting website where supporters could track the boat's live location in America's waterways. Supporters could plan to view the boat as it passes their homes, beaches, and municipal docks; they would come out and show their support and wave their supporting signs. This would get supporters to meet up, and get visibility. If enough supporters signed up to attend, the boat could even stop.

The website would also allow supporters to share their pictures of the boat's sightings, and make suggestions for the boat to stop. The boat would also attend large boat shows, and other public events on the water to get publicity, and exposure to a lot of people.

The vessel I had in mind is one I already own; it is humble, clean, attractive, she turns heads when in action. When I have the boat out, people come out to take pictures, and with the right message written in her sails; she would do well at supporting the cause.

The boat can be viewed at this website: (here she is without her mizzen)
http://www.errantwinds.com/

Here is a link to a quick sketch of a possible layout for the sails graphics:
http://www.ronpaullibertyship.com/ (this is just a quick sketch, and not the actual layout.)

First I want to know what you thought about this project, and if you thought it would be fruitful.

I have the boat, but I don't have the money. The annual budget would be around $60k to keep the boat traveling all year. I would have to look to supporters for the cash, and I wanted to know if you thought this would be fair burden for the supporters. Please let me know what you think.

I think the boat would get a lot of visibility especially if it attended boat shows, and large regattas. Even moving up and down America’s waterways the boat would get a lot of attraction. Some American's see boating as a romantic part of our history, and I think this something people could get excited about. Even if you are not close to the water, the website would connect you with all the other people the boat linked together during its journey.

Do you think this would be a project worth pursuing. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you for your time.
zert

http://www.ronpaullibertyship.com/image/pickup.jpg

Badger Paul
05-08-2011, 08:11 AM
If you're willing to man the boat, just as the mods here and Daily Paul and other Paul-supporting websites to put on a Chip-In link. I'm sure you'll find people willing to contribute. It does sound like a good, grassroots idea.

pacelli
05-08-2011, 08:17 AM
No way in hell. We need votes, not gimmicks. Gimmicks like the blimp did not work to win Ron the nomination in 07-08.

I like your creativity but we need to focus on voters rather than getting Ron's name out there. His name is not enough to win the nomination.

zert
05-08-2011, 08:17 AM
I would captain her, and would accept volunteers for stints of the trip. I could pick people up in one city for a day or two, and drop them off as needed. It would be a great way to connect.

LeJimster
05-08-2011, 09:48 AM
I keep noticing people dismissing ideas as pointless and a waste of money. But it truly depends on how much exposure you can generate and if you can make it cost effective. At the end of the day, no publicity is a waste. You might not like the blimp for example, but it's all about getting the name into peoples subconscious. If they keep seeing Ron Paul everywhere there is more of a chance for them to form a connection than if they'd never heard about him and suddenly somebody is campaigning to them about him.

I personally think it's a decent idea and if you can do it with little funding it's worthwhile.

nayjevin
05-08-2011, 10:05 AM
It sounds like this would be personally rewarding and would line up with your interests as an individual. It shares the value of the blimp in that it is something one would never forget. It is the type of thing only a grassroots campaign would produce. The benefits you've listed are tangible.

I would suggest looking to means of self-funding the voyage. Selling t-shirts or bumper stickers on the way, ad revenue from the website perhaps. Small advertisements of sponsors on the side of the boat? Up to you. Maybe a small fee for tickets aboard the ship. In addition to that - I would expect enthusiasts could also donate to the cause. Would also make inroads into a passionate niche of boating enthusiasts.

If done well I would think it could be a very good idea, and rewarding for a lot of people. It could also generate media for being so unique. If you can execute a plan that doesn't hinge on whether you get the total amount of monetary support you expect, and you are passionate about it, I would think it a good idea.

Maximus
05-08-2011, 10:23 AM
There is a big difference between 60k and 600k. Could you make up a schedule of local boat shows along the sea board that you would be visiting? Thousands of people go to these things, it could be a great tool if we use it right. Especially if, as you said, we had local meet ups/tea parties go and support you.

I'd need to see a more concrete plan before I contributed though

Edit: The photo of the boat looks pretty awesome and eye catching

CryLibertyOrDeath
05-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I think it would be better to donate the cost of such a venture directly to the campaign.

pochy1776
05-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Although it would be cool and visible to show a boat supporting ron paul (i am assuming is is a sizable boat), I think we need to get Ron Paul to become a cultural icon.
IE when people think the 1980's they think Ronald Reagan.

mhad
05-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Well let's hope my newer RPF account doesn't get banned like the last one did-- I agree that this is the blimp all over again. I think it is very creative, BUT people that want to do these types of project should self fund, I don't like/agree with the idea of donors paying people to sail (or fly (blimp)) around for a year. We should be helping Dr. Paul to fly around in a private jet so he doesn't get exhausted, these are just gimmicks and don't get tons of votes....my humble opinion--PLEASE DON'T BAN ME!

PS Can you tell I am still a littler bitter about my account being banned? Love how we support the freedom of speech message here! Ron Paul 2012!

Jandrsn21
05-08-2011, 02:49 PM
If you enter into a boat race, you need to win! lol I can see the headline now, Ron Paul boat finishes last, and then it cuts to a video of Frank Luntz rubbing his grubby little hands together saying, Gewd.... Gewd.... BWAHAHAHAH! Ok I'm getting off the topic here. lol Anyways I think it is a good idea. 60k for a mobile advertising sign sailing up and down the east coast for nearly a year, with a ronpaul2012.com tag on it. This could reach millions overall. I think going to the "official" campaign is a better idea though, having minibombs for each individual idea, is just too much work. I mean they have nearly two million dollars, plus MUCH more on the way and will be looking for cost effective ways to promote. Good Luck!

stefank
05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
i actually think that is a really good idea and you cant compare it to the blimp this would cost a fraction of the cost and i would be willing to donate

Nate-ForLiberty
05-08-2011, 03:15 PM
If people will back you, then great. This isn't something I would support financially. We need votes, not necessarily exposure. Ron Paul has been getting tons of exposure the last 4 years. Millions more people know who he is this time around. What we need are people on the ground talking with voters face to face. Or stuffing envelopes, calling voter lists, writing blogs, making videos. The hard work that never ends is what we need to do.

No one can stop you if you really want to do your boat trip, but don't expect grassroots support even though you might get a little. Maybe instead of making a trip in the Atlantic where you will spend a lot of time alone, why not find heavily trafficked by pleasure boats bodies of water. Lakes maybe. Spend the day sailing up to people and talking with them. Take someone with you that can video your conversations. I'm sure you would get great video (not too mention chicks in bikinis which always gets more votes!). I don't know. Maybe post an estimated schedule that shows how much time you'd spend speaking with people.

I don't know the size of your boat, but if you can transport it by highway, then you become a billboard that 1000s of people will see as you go lake to lake.

Maximus
05-08-2011, 03:21 PM
How much do sails cost? What if we got a sails into a bunch of peoples hands across the country?

S.Shorland
05-08-2011, 03:31 PM
What if it got official campaign support and then sank? It has to be you and friends,not an official thing but I agree boating and freedom are synonymous.

Paul4Prez
05-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Whatever floats your boat, but I think 60K would do more good on a few metropolitan billboards in Des Moines or Manchester....

Badger Paul
05-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't want to discourage creativity or ideas, because I think that's the beauty of this campaign. This person should have the opportunity to at least have a Chip-In and people want to contribute to it they can. If not, they don't have to.

Koz
05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I hate to be a naysayer, but just sailing it up and down the coast in my opinion is for naught. In my opnion you need some type of PR strategy to generate press. Not sure what that would be, sailing so many miles for Dr. Paul, sailing from the tip of Maine, through the Panama Canal and to the tip of Washington. These are silly ideas, but you need a gem that will generate press. Otherwise you really need to go through every marina or inlet to get people to see the damn sails. It's not like you're flying a kite on a 12 meter America's Cup yacht. You get the idea?

Live Free or Die
05-08-2011, 07:16 PM
This is Ron Paul's ship:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6991/ussconsutionx.jpg

zert
05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Thank you all for your input; I appreciate all the feedback even the negative stuff.

While the message written in the sails and the visibility from that is part of the project; I believe the effective part would be the traveling from small fishing towns to, popular beaches, and meeting up with supporters at the docks. (could even reenact the Boston tea party.) The boat wouldn't be in the Atlantic, it would be going up and down the inter-coastal water way. It would be in the constant sight of the American people. She would spend more time in areas of high visibility like around Manhattan, near bridges with high traffic, or cruising popular beaches.

For myself I think it would be neat to see the online progress a boat going up the coast, and I would get excited if it were to pass where I live. I would certainly come out and wave a flag, wave a banner, and call the local news. While it wouldn't be people on the ground talking, it would be similar. Also the vessel would also be constantly connected to the internet (cheaply done these days) so blogging would be an important job of the crew.

“Boating and freedom are synonymous”, but a lot of new regulations have taken boating from the people by taxing it so only the rich can afford it. This of course has destroyed a lot of the industry, and jobs. When the government gets greedy, people suffer.

Yes, I believe the USS Constitution would be the best boat for supporting Dr. Paul''s Campaign.

This is the vessel I have to offer:

http://www.ronpaullibertyship.com/image/pickup.jpg

libertybrewcity
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Lol...waste of time, resources...we need moneybombs for the RP campaign, not for ships. What the hell do we look like, a bunch of sailors? Who knows if Paul's message will even attract the pirate, sailor, or coastal vote.

On the other hand...if you buy me a snowmobile, jet ski, or atv, I will happily ride it along any road or trail in support of RP.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Is there something else you could be doing on the boat while you sail? Something that would have a very tangible effect for the campaign? I ask because that may get some of us naysayers on board (pun! =o) ). You've mentioned blogging, but that's what a lot of us will be doing for free. I don't have any ideas, just throwing casting! that out there. :)

nayjevin
05-08-2011, 08:38 PM
# of 'name recognition' level touches
# of more solid touches (giving a flyer, talking one-on-one)
# of youtube and blog views
# and reach of articles/media spawned
amount of extra promotion and knowledge generated (if selling bumperstickers or books or t-shirts, or word of mouth from the events)
ability to auction boat afterwards?

MelissaWV
05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
It isn't something I would personally help fund, but it seems like nay has the right idea. I think you're passionate about this, and should look into trying to self-fund as much as possible. There will be some who'll help. Maybe set up a Chip-In for the initial sails and all that, and then self-fund the rest of the way?

Maximus
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
There's a reason advertisers fly banners over beaches and high volume areas, it works.

Could you imagine a Ron Paul ship off the coast of South Carolina (Savannah?), doesn't NH have a small coastline? People would totally dig it. Get it in Boston Harbor, do a tea party, NYC, go up and down the coast. It could help generate excitement and interest.

So if you could I'd say, come up with a proposed itinerary of harbors/marinas/docks/cities you will be cruising. Maybe we can contact local Tea Party groups and see if they'd be interested in having a Tea Party with the Ron Paul boat. Then we could figure out an itemized cost of sails, food, stuff like that. Make a website and bam! Ron Paul boat.

georgiaboy
05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
you're gonna need a bigger boat.

centure7
05-08-2011, 09:51 PM
No way in hell. We need votes, not gimmicks. Gimmicks like the blimp did not work to win Ron the nomination in 07-08.

I like your creativity but we need to focus on voters rather than getting Ron's name out there. His name is not enough to win the nomination.

Just like decentralized economic planning works wonders for the economy, decentralized campaign planning works wonders for Ron Paul in the election process. I would very much like to support a project like this... its a brilliant idea. I would also suggest that a helium balloon be tied to the ship if possible to make it both a balloon and a ship.

The press that the Ron Paul blimp got was surely worth at least 600k. The press the liberty ship would get would likely be worth at least 60k if it costs that much (and I imagine it would).

Nate-ForLiberty
05-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Just like decentralized economic planning works wonders for the economy, decentralized campaign planning works wonders for Ron Paul in the election process. I would very much like to support a project like this... its a brilliant idea. I would also suggest that a helium balloon be tied to the ship if possible to make it both a balloon and a ship.

The press that the Ron Paul blimp got was surely worth at least 600k. The press the liberty ship would get would likely be worth at least 60k if it costs that much (and I imagine it would).

But that's just it. We don't need press. We've got that already. Last time we were being ignored and needed events that media absolutely could not ignore. Hence the blimp and moneybombs. What we need this time are votes.

Mallory
05-08-2011, 10:16 PM
While the POTC-identifying free spirit in me thinks this is awesome, logically I have to agree with the others: People know who Ron is and it's votes we need now. But hey, if the boat sails by Florida let me know. It's your call. Good luck!

squarepusher
05-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Ron Paul submarine, do it.

Chester Copperpot
05-08-2011, 10:56 PM

+1

DailyLiberty
05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
I like the idea of the "Liberty Ship." Here is what I would suggest:
1. Create a schedule with dates and locations where you would be.
2. Identify time in schedule where you could do Pre-planned Rallies.
3. Plan to sail that thing right up the Potomac at least once.
4. Make sure you blog and shoot lots of video.
5. If you could find it in your budget, give out beer, food, etc to turn your boat into a gathering place on beaches and pleasure cruising areas. Then have your crew ready to talk about Ron Paul.

I would support this type of venture. I think it is sweet!

pauladin
05-08-2011, 11:11 PM
the OP is thinking waaaay to small. i say that during this campaign, we create a chipin to build a rocket. we'll put a ron paul revolution flag on mars.

devil21
05-09-2011, 12:51 AM
As overall worthless and a waste of money as the Blimp was. And I actually liked the blimp.

Not accusing the OP but beware of low post newbs with "great ideas" that require YOUR money. There were scammers in the last campaign and there will be scammers this time around too.

RonPaulVolunteer
05-09-2011, 01:29 AM

+2012!

pacelli
05-09-2011, 05:02 AM

Go for it. I don't want to stand in your way. I've just learned my lesson from 07-08. The press we got from the blimp energized the grassroots but failed to win Ron Paul the nomination (and lack of press we got from the Ringside R3volution and Ron Paul Race Car SCAMS, I might add).

I agree that decentralized planning CAN work, the question is, WILL it work? We've been PLANNING for 2012 for the last 3 years, with numerous specific threads. It appears that a lot of that planning has been thrown out the window.

So while we all want economic decentralization, just remember that the grassroots isn't a central BANK, either :) We're in an economic depression that Dr. Paul predicted 4 years ago, so I would think we'd have to be a bit more conservative with donations. Then again, that's just my opinion. Please, if you like an idea, donate the hell out of it.

I just think gimmicks like this end up flooding the hell out of the forums with "updates" and requests for further donations, and generally serve as a distraction to the important grassroots work that actually gets votes.

pacelli
05-09-2011, 05:05 AM
There's a reason advertisers fly banners over beaches and high volume areas, it works.

Yep. That reason is to get people to haul their butts to a restaurant a mile or two away for dinner tonight. It doesn't work the same way when you are asking people to remember a website address, examine their personal viewpoints on political issues, register to vote (perhaps change parties), and then show up on a particular date at a particular place a month or two in advance. That's a tough sell for people coming to the beach to relax while their on vacation from their busy lives. But if you want to fund it, please, feel free!!

zert
05-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Overall the discussion was good, and I appreciate the input. Considering the responses I don’t think this will be a project I will be pursuing; I would not accept a penny of contribution without more support from this team. I do not want to start a project that would be a burden on the campaign, or its supporters. I will keep the websites up: RonPaul Liberty Ship.com and Libertynavy.com Thank you for your help.

MelissaCato
05-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I like this idea. Good Luck !!!

MelissaCato
05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Did you start a chip-in or have a promotional video yet ? I like ideas like this ... I'll promote the Ron Paul Liberty Ship on the internet. ;o)

acptulsa
05-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I would worry that the main billboard space is on the sails, and unless we have some very, very, very good sailors on this boat the sails will have to be struck just when the advertising is most important--namely, when close to land. It just isn't easy to sail a sizeable boat up the Hudson or East River, or in a real inland waterway like the Arkansas/Verdigris Navigation Channel. If you have to strike the sails when you're close to people (who aren't themselves on boats), then that's pretty self-defeating. And tacking up a channel or sitting at anchor with a full sail up can be recipes for disaster.

I also worry that it won't do us a damned bit of good in Iowa, New Hampshire or Nevada.

zert
03-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Domain names to expire if anyone is interested. I am not selling them, but they will be available when my ownership expires.

Domain Name, Expiry Date
libertynavy.com (http://www.libertynavy.com), 2012-05-07 22:55:07
ronpaullibertyship.com (http://www.libertynavy.com), 2012-05-07 23:11:16

TruckinMike
03-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Domain names to expire if anyone is interested. I am not selling them, but they will be available when my ownership expires.

Domain Name, Expiry Date
libertynavy.com (http://www.libertynavy.com), 2012-05-07 22:55:07
ronpaullibertyship.com (http://www.libertynavy.com), 2012-05-07 23:11:16

I HAVE A three QUESTIONS ---

1) Being that you were dissuaded from pursuing THIS grassroots project by RP forums members did you replace IT with another equal or even more impressive grassroots project?

If not, then,

2) On a total grassroots energy exertion scale of 1-10, if you had completed the Liberty Ship project, plus all of your other personal grassroots efforts combined was a "7". Where would you say that your total grassroots exertion has landed today without the Liberty Ship project?4, 6, 8, 10? The point ---- Did you exert more grassroots activism as a result of NOT doing the Liberty SHip project or did you lose motivation and complete less overall?

3)Do you think that as a result of your NOT completing the Liberty Ship project that MORE people became motivated and engaged in MORE grassroots activism or LESS.

Thanks,

TMike

Lightweis
03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Great Idea if it was 5 months ago. Right now, we need to concentrate on delegates and getting them to Tampa