PDA

View Full Version : Poll: The Morality of Waterboarding

Lothario
05-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Wow, interesting results...

Via: http://billoreilly.com/poll-center (under where do you stand)

The morality of waterboarding

May 4, 2011

The killing of Usama bin Laden has re-ignited the debate over waterboarding and other coercive interrogation techniques. Where do you stand?

It simply doesn't work 2%
Of course it works, but it's immoral 6%
It works, it's moral, and it saves lives 92%

10133 total votes

rp08orbust
05-07-2011, 11:27 PM

May 4, 2011

The killing of Usama bin Laden has re-ignited the debate over waterboarding and other coercive interrogation techniques. Where do you stand?

10133 total votes

Disgusting.

James Madison
05-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Looks like ~9000 people have never been waterboarded.

oriolesfan
05-08-2011, 12:36 AM
9000+ people have never considered that their stance is also condoning the waterboarding of U.S. troops by foreign captors. Or it's possible that these nitwits really do have a double standard when U.S. citizens are at stake versus "enemies".

Gotta add that I'm ashamed my home commonwealth of Virginia statistically has 0% of people agreeing with me that waterboarding is ineffective.

Yieu
05-08-2011, 12:39 AM
If anyone thinks torture is "moral" as that poll indicates, then they are not getting their morals from God, they are getting their morals from a demon.

Torture is never moral. And it doesn't produce results so it's not worth it even if it was moral, which it can never be. But most of all it is sinful and those involved will eventually pay for their sins.

Perhaps if those who voted the third option could live in the body of someone who experiences chronic pain, they might think differently. It is obvious that religion is not guiding their morals, but perhaps empathy would help them understand that torture is not a "tool", but is only and can only be evil and sinful.

akforme
05-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Bill O'Really? Did you expect any different from people who not only watch his show but log onto his website?

James Madison
05-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Or it's possible that these nitwits really do have a double standard when U.S. citizens are at stake versus "enemies".

Their support of killing 10 year-olds in Pakistan would seem to suggest so.

Yieu
05-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Bill O'Really? Did you expect any different from people who not only watch his show but log onto his website?

I did not expect any different from a crowd of warmongers, but I think some of them might somehow believe they are religious, which would be a contradiction. How could someone whose goal is purportedly to strive to love God, wish to torture His beloved creation? Torture is evil, sinful, and antithetical to the goal and purpose of religion. It creates new enemies for us as well, and removes any possible moral high ground we might have had.

oriolesfan
05-08-2011, 12:58 AM
I agree with both of you. Where exactly are these cowards deriving their morals from?

Yieu
05-08-2011, 01:03 AM
I agree with both of you. Where exactly are these cowards deriving their morals from?

Certainly not from God. So what else then? It is definitely from a demoniac value system which does not place much value on human life.

Humanae Libertas
05-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Shill O'Reilly the coward; can't even mention Keith Olbermann by name.

TruckinMike
05-08-2011, 06:39 AM

May 4, 2011

The killing of Usama bin Laden has re-ignited the debate over waterboarding and other coercive interrogation techniques. Where do you stand?[/B]

10133 total votes

Its hard to believe that the MSM's conditioning techniques have worked so effectively. I'm sure our Pavlovian handlers are having a good chuckle over this little poll.

TMike

JohnGalt1225
05-08-2011, 06:39 AM
That's completely disgusting. Complete and utterly disgusting. It is NEVER right to torture another human being.

demolama
05-08-2011, 07:13 AM
You can't say they aren't getting their morals from God because it wasn't that long ago (little more than 300 years ago) people were being tortured for regular crimes to get a confession. We can thank the Age of Enlightenment and men such as Beccaria that pointed out torture does not get the results they desire. Turn your back on the teachings of the past and you get what they deserve. How many even know what the Age of Enlightenment is let alone read a philosophe?

Yieu
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
You can't say they aren't getting their morals from God because it wasn't that long ago (little more than 300 years ago) people were being tortured for regular crimes to get a confession. We can thank the Age of Enlightenment and men such as Beccaria that pointed out torture does not get the results they desire. Turn your back on the teachings of the past and you get what they deserve. How many even know what the Age of Enlightenment is let alone read a philosophe?

When I said that if someone tortures then their morals do not come from God, that applies to all torture. Including in the Inquisition. Torture is demoniac. Just because someone claims to get their morals from God, if they demonstrate that their morals do not come from God by torturing, then their morals are demoniac in nature regardless of where they claim their morals come from.

Sola_Fide
05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Conservatives say torture works wonders:

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/11/29/100012.shtml

AuH20
05-08-2011, 10:39 AM
It's immoral, but it has it's uses. I think the problem is that is has been incorporated carte blanche into the CIA's torture manual. Thus, you have these low level lunatics using it at every avenue. Waterboarding should be made taboo in the intelligence profession but it isn't.

LeJimster
05-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I think we should get all the people who approve waterboarding to be waterboarded themselves. See how they like it. Torture simply doesn't work against people who have sworn their lives to kill their enemies at all costs.. It's absurd.

QueenB4Liberty
05-08-2011, 10:54 AM
It's immoral, but it has it's uses. I think the problem is that is has been incorporated carte blanche into the CIA's torture manual. Thus, you have these low level lunatics using it at every avenue. Waterboarding should be made taboo in the intelligence profession but it isn't.

It's been proven more times than not that it isn't successful at getting information. Just because torture works on one person, it doesn't justify it.

AuH20
05-08-2011, 11:05 AM
It's been proven more times than not that it isn't successful at getting information. Just because torture works on one person, it doesn't justify it.

I disagree. Nuclear weapons are immoral and we've certainly haven't eliminated them from our arsenal. I think the fact of the matter is that you don't want to fully eliminate a tool. Waterboarding is a tool used to extract valuable information in certain instances. There are physical signs unconsciously emitted from our bodies that indicate when someone is lying. For example, if I had Ben Bernanke in this room, first I would ask him a series of simply "yes/no" questions to simply quantify his reliability. Then if he did not sufficently pass this phase based off his biological "tells", I would proceed to waterboard him.

As I stated before, the main problem is that waterboarding has replaced other sound intel capturing methods instead of being a method of last resort, once you have substantially proven that your suspect is deliberately hiding information.

amy31416
05-08-2011, 11:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Break_a_Terrorist

(From someone who's actually done it, not just watched "24.")

doodle
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM

May 4, 2011

10133 total votes

This is very interesting debate being started in US media on morality of torture: If torture works, why not use it?

Right now if somewhere in an arab country some pro terrorism advocate asked this question among themselves: "9/11 Terrorism helped create a Free Palestinian State on 10th anniversary of 9/11, why not use it because it works", how would we respond?

If we drop morality and principles, there will be other very interesting questions such as making a case systemic racial profiling of "black or latino males" if it can be "shown" it will greatly reduce crime risk (80% of US prison population being black or latino) and on host of other issues.

PA: 150 states to recognize Palestine by Sept.

Full report (http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4036984,00.html)

Europe threatens to recognise Palestinian state

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8199643/Europe-threatens-to-recognise-Palestinian-state.html

Netanyahu: Israel could support Palestinian state before September under right conditions

After meet with French President in Paris, the prime minister talks about the possibility of Palestinians achieving an independent state via the UN, saying 'they could say that Bin Laden is the hero of mankind and pass that too.'

By Danna Harman

LINK (http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/netanyahu-israel-could-support-palestinian-state-before-september-under-right-conditions-1.360074)

TIMB0B
05-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Perhaps we should start a whisper campaign that, according to that poll, 90% of Americans are not Christians. That will really piss fox news off.

Brett85
05-08-2011, 01:01 PM
It's immoral, but it has it's uses.

Agreed. It's not "moral," but it's probably a necessary evil in certain situations. It shouldn't be a regular part of the CIA's interrogation procedures, but certainly if there's a situation where millions of American lives at stake, it has to be left on the table.

doodle
05-08-2011, 01:12 PM
If anyone thinks torture is "moral" as that poll indicates, then they are not getting their morals from God, they are getting their morals from a demon.

Torture is never moral. And it doesn't produce results so it's not worth it even if it was moral, which it can never be. But most of all it is sinful and those involved will eventually pay for their sins.

Perhaps if those who voted the third option could live in the body of someone who experiences chronic pain, they might think differently. It is obvious that religion is not guiding their morals, but perhaps empathy would help them understand that torture is not a "tool", but is only and can only be evil and sinful.

What is guiding them? Probably same thing "guided" many to revenge attack in Iraq that resulted in mass bloodshed of a people who did not pose threat to or attacked America. I don't think it is possible to find out what exactly it is.

It's immoral, but it has it's uses.

Same can be said of stealing, deception, racial discrimination, target killings without trial, killing of innocent as collateral damage etc.
There would be no immorality in the world if it did not have a "use" for someone.