PDA

View Full Version : I'm Making Material, Need Your Thoughts Please

RPIdeaMan08
05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey, I need advise. Please help!

I'm going to make a brochure and a video and there are some issue I want you to help with. The advice is the most important thing. I should have a rough draft posted later tonight or tomorrow but I'm not sure where to start first. What should I make First? which is more effective? I really want you're help and opinions on this, It needs to be done by the grassroots!
Plus my spelling is not the best...

Brochure:
Template
Background image
Other Images
Visual Aids (such as something showing Ron's opinions vs other candidates in a simple manor)
Ideas for sections
help with wording
ECT.

This is what I have so far:

Christian Themed Brochure (http://www.scribd.com/doc/921621/Christian-Ron-Paul-Brochure-2-0)

Older Issues Brochure (http://www.gamehavoc.com/showthread.php?22800-Ron-Paul-Pamphlet)

Paul's 12 Step Process for America
(http://www.dailypaul.com/25459/pamphlet-doctor-pauls-12-step-process-for-america)
Ron Paul Forums Brochure Goldmine (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?262412-Ron-Paul-2012-Fliers-Handbills-and-Printouts-for-Distribution)

Video:
Videos of speeches (Ron's or someone like Regan's)
Famous quotes
Other Videos (like "A New Hope")
What type of music/soundtrack?
How should it start?
What is the goal?
What needs to be covered?
How long should it be?
Celebrity endorsement videos
Anything you think will help

This is what I have so far:

Regan a time for choosing
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4770988975023965161#)

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 06:51 PM
A video they have to actually put into their computer and start, not lose etc. A brochure they at least glance at the front of before they throw it away and get some information. I think videos are better for people who you know who will actually look at it because you are going to ask if they did, or for places at least where people actually have their computers handy.

KCIndy
05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
lol - I'll probably get dinged for this, but.....

My first question would be, what is your target audience? If you're approaching people who are, say, mid thirties or older, you'll definitely want to go with a brochure. If you're shooting for the under thirty crowd, go video. It seems to be what they're used to. I say this as a forty-something who is very much used to the internet, but who simply can't get used to the "new media" thing. Personally, I would very much rather read something than watch a video which expresses the same idea.

Almost everyone I know who is, say, mid 20s or younger would rather watch a video. I can't claim to understand it, but that's certainly been my experience.

RPIdeaMan08
05-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I appreciate your responses and in fact they are what I want to drive the creation but I understand after a rough draft there will be more input. Also I would like to clarify a few things.

Target Audience:

The brochure I will be using in my church and putting in other churches in the greater Orlando area after I get approval from church staffers. So I would say the target audience is wight wing social conservatives but I want the brochures to have broad appeal In the older and younger (30-70) age groups. After hearing what y'all have to say I may make a few slightly different brochures for different groups but I will start with one for social conservatives. In addition I want people that read this to know Ron is the only republican who is constant and will actually change Washington. I want to market him as the republican parties Obama and show his slight but BIG differences from other republicans.

As for the video, I will be making it to introduce Ron Paul's Beliefs to a younger audience. I wanted to make a video going over Ron's beliefs of many issues while focusing on his constancy and principles. Touting him as the only person who will follow trough with what he says but I may go another direction with the video as many who will watch it are already aware of his views and are looking for an emotional video. So I'm undecided but I'm sure once I start I'll know where to take it. I would really like you thoughts on where to take the video. Writing this I'm leaning towards making the video for people who are unsure what Ron would do as president and to make the confident in him but also slightly scared of what could happen if another republican takes the nomination.

RPIdeaMan08
05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Also I'm going to start and end the brochure with a Little about myself but It's going to be Fictional (fake). I'm going to use it to show how I never thought i could vote with him because of his thoughts on that war but soon realized he is a very trustworthy man and I know would not put us in danger. Also information about his beliefs as well as experts on suicide terrorism, highlighting him voting for going after Al Qaeda and how he brought up the constitutional way Marque-and-Reprisal of finding Osama.

I have more research to do, so it will defiantly be another day or two but it's going to be done.

Here is some good information:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.
He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.
Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.
The only Republican Candidate that has served in the U.S. Military.
The only Republican candidate to be endorsed by Ronald Reagan.
The only Republican candidate with experience in the medical field.
He writes short, easy to read legislation. No 1000 page bills!
He is happily married for more than 50 years
He believes in a strong national defense with no entangling alliances
He's delivered four thousand children into this world, he loves life and liberty most of all!
The only one with a plan to stop inflation and make the dollar strong again.
He is the only candidate that desires to abolish the income tax and replace it with nothing.
In the most recent poll, Ron Paul does better against Obama than any other candidate.
Ron Paul polls higher among independents than any other candidate.

KurtBoyer25L
05-07-2011, 09:37 PM
First, thank you so much for your hard work on this. I'm making some videos myself with a friend...not easy.

In my view you've got to look at churchgoing Christians realistically. As they are largely upstanding members of our society you'd like to think the best of them -- reasonable, able to change minds on foreign policy or social issues, etc. As we all know, people in any group can be very stubborn, and devoutly faithful folk most of all!

So I think to hit some of the points above might be counterproductive. For instance, believers are largely not going to share a premise that non-Christian life is equal in value to ours. We can talk about how foreign policy is violent or aggressive or kills Muslims, but it's not really a big deal to most churchgoers. Not only are Muslims the "enemy," but they will attack us first if we don't threaten them perpetually. They reject Jesus so they're eternally damned anyway, so whether they go to their eternal punishments now or 40 years from now is also not a big deal. Put simply, Christians who are influential in their church community are largely OK with our aggressive violence overseas. There is a romance to the military and war for many of them, and many in their families are proud to have fought in war.

Or think about social issues like illegal drugs. Churchgoers tend to believe authority figures on social issues. Many still think of weed & coke as a black/Mexican/lowlife invasion of white Christians, and a potential evil seduction of their children. Now, we know that there is not a big difference between Mexicans selling weed and Big Pharma selling god-knows-what, except that the weed is better for you and the Pharma salesmen are white and government-sanctioned. But that doesn't matter because Reagan (the ultimate hero) ramped up the Drug War and Dr. Phil and Dr. Drew and every other blindingly stupid/rich white man on TV has been informing the pewholders of the evils of black/mexican drugs for 90 years straight. Against that, trying to reason with the "flock" as a whole simply makes you a drowned-out voice of reason in the howling mob.

What I suggest instead is to play up what they like/want, especially where Ron's policies would benefit the agenda of social conservatives, and punt/pass/kick on everything else. To wit...

GREAT -- Taxes, Guns and 2nd Amendment, Freedom OF religion issues like homeschooling, prayer, local control of school curriculums, Balanced budget, Served in military.

Punt -- On abortion and drugs, focus on states' rights to choose. To a crowd of Christians this will mean that they get to vote personally to arrest drug dealers and abortionists. Also mention Ron's recent defense of DOMA in Iowa. Anything that sounds anti-gay is generally good. Ditch anything else about gays.

Pass -- I would play up the (superficial) similarity between Reagan & Paul's approach to the Middle East. Reagan's army did not invade every Middle Eastern country in turn. We didn't even invade our Cold War enemies for the most part. But we DID make it clear that if anyone tried to attack US, we would use the full force of our military and attack without apology. I've been telling my Christian/Republican friends this: "Under Ron Paul, we won't have as many troops overseas or be in as many wars, but if the Ay-rabs do come attack us, we will declare war, and whoever it is will be completely vaporized in a week." Try to find the video of Ron -- there are a couple out there -- of him saying "If we feel strongly, we declare war, all go together and fight, and win it, and get outta there!"

Kick -- Play up the Reagan angle/endorsement a LOT, and any other video or text you can find where Lew Rockwell or another well-respected Protestant endorses Ron Paul wholeheartedly in the media.

Remember there is nothing wrong with "slanting" a message to appeal to a certain group. Politicians do it every day, so if we don't do it ourselves we're at a severe disadvantage. Good luck and thanks again sir!

KurtBoyer25L
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Wait, I think the above may apply more to the brochure. Is the video going out to church kids only or to everyone possible?

RPIdeaMan08
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks, you seem to be very well alined with what I want to do here. Playing up state rights on issues they might not agree with Ron on is exactly what I'm trying to do. With regards to the war I want to focus on what he does want to do and not what he wouldn't do, supporting the claim with a strong "just war" section. Thanks again, I'll make sure to include everything you listed as great, surprisingly I had forgot many so far. Also I'd like to say at least for my church (which is BIG and baptist. Also mentioned by bush in a speech, which isn't important but it's interesting).. My church is surprisingly very receptive, the foreign policy is the hardest part to sell but I have a way with words so I believe I can do some good here. I don't have much time now because I want to finish the brochure before my classes get into swing soon and I have a lot to do. this is exactly what I needed though, another brain on this. One is good but there always something overlooked so I gave you rep and really do appreciate it. I'll post once It once I have something more final. Oh, and I've decided to finish the brochure first to refresh myself on the issues before I finish the video but I'm working on them at the same time so either could have a draft done first. I'll remember "All propaganda must be popular and its intellectual level must be adjusted to the most limited intelligence among those it is addressed to."

RPIdeaMan08
05-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Video is just for fun and I think it will end up being geared towards younger people not necessarily of faith but I'm deciding still.

Eric21ND
05-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Include Ron's speech at that religious meeting in Iowa from last month, it was great and I'm atheist lol.

RPIdeaMan08
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm still working, it's taking longer than I thought but I am much more busy.

Eric, are you referring to this event?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38vvMPHIQE

Eric21ND
05-11-2011, 04:02 AM
I'm still working, it's taking longer than I thought but I am much more busy.

Eric, are you referring to this event?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38vvMPHIQE
Yup precisely that video. I'd share that with every religious person I know, which for me is next to none lol, but I'm sure others do.

Eric21ND
05-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Here is probably one of the best videos I've seen on youtube. It's titled Individualism vs. Collectivism. Now its animated with stick figures and such, which might seem cartoonish or maybe people would think its entertaining and "cute" in a way. But aside from the graphics the information is top notch! It really explains the real role of government. It's not about democrat vs. republican, its really about collectivism vs. individualism. This gives everyone that watches it a whole new perspective about government in my opinion. This video should be the start of everyone's intellectual journey. It really gives viewers a sound base to view politics, and it ties into what Ron Paul advocates perfectly! It just so happens most politicians are collectivists, Ron Paul promotes individualism.

http://youtu.be/mdHJzCZQvpA

="http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BB9FD099AB05F435"

The next video I'd recommend is the For Liberty documentary. I'm sure you probably already seen it.

PaleoForPaul
05-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Fun quote that might fit in somewhere:

"Greater than the tread of mighty armies is an idea whose time has come."
-Victor Hugo

RPIdeaMan08
05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
thanks, I've been working on it but recent some brain storming with friends has conceived me to wait to release the video and to continue to work on it. The brochure is also being worked on. I'm waiting a little longer to hopefully get a picture of who is running and to read trough Liberty Defined to get some more perspective. Sorry that I have not came trough as soon as I said but I assure you that I'm going for quality and it needs more time!

PaleoForPaul
05-16-2011, 12:21 PM
thanks, I've been working on it but recent some brain storming with friends has conceived me to wait to release the video and to continue to work on it. The brochure is also being worked on. I'm waiting a little longer to hopefully get a picture of who is running and to read trough Liberty Defined to get some more perspective. Sorry that I have not came trough as soon as I said but I assure you that I'm going for quality and it needs more time!

The great part is I posted that quote, and afterwords last week as I was reading through Liberty Defined for the first time I saw it was in there!